pixeltracker

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread- Page 4

2019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#752019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:53pm

Ali Stroker's Ado Annie is so adorable but I wish they'd also do "People Will Say We're In Love."

RWPrincess
#762019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:56pm

Are they saving Leading Actor in a Play for the end? Seems strange they did all the acting categories for a Play and then jumped to Featured Actor in a Musical

Markecib
#772019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:57pm

That Oklahoma performance was...oof.

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#782019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Great performance from Oklahoma!  

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#792019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

RWPrincess said: "Are they saving Leading Actor in a Play for the end? Seems strange they did all the acting categories for a Play and then jumped to Featured Actor in a Musical"

Maybe because that's the only really competitive play acting category? I think it's close between Jeff Daniels and Bryan Cranston.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#802019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:58pm

oncemorewithfeeling2 said: "I was rooting for Patrick Page, but you can’t say that André de Shields hasn’t given any short of an amazing performance this season. Plus...well...his career and all. This was a well earned and deserved award."

My exact thoughts. If it wasn’t Page, it should’ve been De Shields. His performance was absolutely wonderful, but Patrick Page was far more moving and impressive to me. I hope he can eventually win.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#812019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:59pm

I didn’t really have a desire to see Oklahoma. I kinda do now!

BamaEd
#822019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 8:59pm

Andre De Shields' speech was wonderful

The Oklahoma performances, so, I haven't seen it. I really enjoyed the fun and the wink that Ali Stroker brought to "I Cain't Say No". The ensemble on the title song went several places: Traditional barn dance, too much drinking barn dance, drunk redneck girl dancing on a table, then the end seemed a touch scary to me. Does it play that way on stage?

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#832019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:00pm

God, I really hated Oklahoma. I was in a production of it when I was younger so maybe that's what's wrong, but the costumes, accents, and everything just drove me away further. The only good part was Ali Stroker!

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#842019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:00pm

LS7188 said: "I could've sworn they aired it live on the west coast as well a few years ago-- or maybe I'm thinking of a different awards show? I wonder why they don't just do that and then re-air it again right after for those that missed it?"

Hmmm...I don’t recall the Tonys ever being live. I think the Oscars are the only live awards show. I don’t believe there is enough interest here to air it live and rebroadcast. 

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#852019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:01pm

BamaEd said: "Andre De Shields' speech was wonderful

The Oklahoma performances, so, I haven't seen it. I really enjoyed the fun and the wink that Ali Stroker brought to "I Cain't Say No". The ensemble on the title song went several places: Traditional barn dance, too much drinking barn dance, drunk redneck girl dancing on a table, then the end seemed a touch scary to me. Does it play that way on stage?
"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In the musical Curly shoots Jud and the final Oklahoma! is played in blood spattered clothes with a sort of anger and trauma written all over Laurey's face. That TV rendition was very watered-down.

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#862019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:04pm

Yay Rachel Chavkin !!!!

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

RWPrincess
#872019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:06pm

Catherine O’hara’s dress is on point for introducing Beetlejuice

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#882019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:07pm

Beetlejuice seems weirdly appealing. Way more so than the Tootsie clips.

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#892019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:08pm

Six Tonys for Hadestown. It's going to win unless it loses Best Score. That could be an indication that something else could win Best Musical. 

BamaEd
#902019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:08pm

poisonivy2 said: "BamaEd said: "Andre De Shields' speech was wonderful

"

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

"

Well, yeah, I guess that would explain it

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#912019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:10pm

So far, Beetlejuice is the only show that has gotten the "how to sell tickets to this broadcast audience" memo.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#922019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:11pm

I didn’t even love the show that much but that Beetlejuice performance was fantastic

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#932019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:11pm

Loved the creative Beetlejuice performance! Especially the "your death will let this broadcast go on" because that sure made me laugh. Beautiful performance, i'd get a ticket if I was watching

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#942019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:12pm

Their grosses are not great, I hope they improve, that was a very fun number.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#952019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

Here to echo, unless The Cher Show brings out the queen herself, Beetlejuice is the only show to really understand the type of performance you gotta bring. Really enjoyed it!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#962019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread

I enjoyed the BJ number far more than I did the actual show.  (Not that I hated it, but....)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Brit33444
#972019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:13pm

I was on the fence about Beetlejuice but now i’m set on seeing it. A show that’s just silly, Brightman really sold it props to him!

BamaEd
#982019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:14pm

OK, as of right now, the Tony Awards website shows Patrick Page as the winner of Featured Actor in a Musical. Alrighty then.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#992019 Tony Awards Reactions Thread
Posted: 6/9/19 at 9:15pm

Love how they tweaked the lyrics for the evening. They killed it. <--) See what I Did there?!) :)

Just give the world Love.