pixeltracker

Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and "Tea at Five"- Page 4

Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and "Tea at Five"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#75Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:14am

Why is Hillary and Clinton coming up? The intent in that play is not to have actors who look and sound like the Clintons; it's not meant as a vehicle for a transformative impression of a famous person, like this play is. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#76Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:21am

I saw a production of this starring Mulgrew's understudy, Paula Ewin. She used the original set on some kind of abbreviated tour. The charm and interest of the piece was that you felt your  were in Hepburn's living room, sharing an afternoon with her as she spoke to you about her life. This only works if the actor is convincing enough at replicating Hepburn for you to suspend disbelief and go with the premise that you are having tea with Hepburn. Ewin pulled it off beautifully. But it was complete with voice and mannerisms.

This is not a play with a dramatic arc that grips you and brings you along. It's a chat with a star. And you need to be able to see the star to make it interesting. The star being Hepburn, not Dunaway.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#77Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:23am

Kad said: "Why is Hillary and Clinton coming up? The intent in that play is not to have actors who look and sound like the Clintons; it's not meant as a vehicle for a transformative impression of a famous person, like this play is."

I think the reason its coming up is because Dunaway seems to be treating the piece like the actors did in Hillary and Clinton. Like you said theres a major difference for this play however and it doesn't seem her performance is working at all. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#78Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:29am

Since neither the director nor the star have commented, we don't have any idea what the approach is here. It's a major presumption to say that the performance style of Hilary and Clinton has had any influence on what Dunaway is doing on that stage. For all we know she's simply trying to master her lines and will layer in some kind of attempt at characterizing Hepburn once she does.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#79Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 11:11am

I only brought up “Hillary and Clinton” because others before me did and I was saying the comparison doesn’t make sense here.

And the show opens tomorrow so if she hasn’t mastered her lines yet and is gonna throw in the Hepburn voice “down the line”, well she has about 30 hours to master if.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#80Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 11:28am

Jordan, since you've seen the show, do you think this might be a situation of everyone just making the best of what perhaps isn't an ideal situation. I.E. - Just get her through this run to save face?  Does she have any even small moments of brilliance?  

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jordan Catalano
#81Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 11:35am

Ok, so we can’t forget that this is still Faye Dunaway who IS/WAS an incredible actress. She had moments where she’s VERY good but they’re overshadowed by an all-together uneven performance that, after sleeping on it, I really feel is Faye being uncomfortable with what she’s doing. She’s unsure of her lines and that really can take a toll on someone in a part like that, where you have nobody up there to help you if you need it.

I’m happy I finally got to see her on stage because she’s legendary and one of the most (in)famous people ever to come out of Hollywood. But I just wish it were in another play.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#82Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 12:14pm

Also, Lombardo has stated Dunaway reached out to him to do this so he deconstructed the original 2 act play to one act just for her. Revisiting TEA FOR FIVE for Dunaway was never on his radar at any time until she reached out to him.

And yes, he has said she arrived to meet with him in full older Hepburn costume: hair, red sweater around shoulders, slacks, etc and did a spot-on older Hepburn voice to perfection. So basically, he was commissioned for this vanity project by Dunaway.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#83Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:14pm

I don't think it is clear that this is Dunaway's vanity project (as opposed to Lombardo's).

I also don't think it is fair to judge her for what she was, or what she became. I believe in redemption. Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and

That said, I have suspected from the announcement of this that it was a train wreck looking for a crossing. Now we know where and why. Don't bother calling the NTSB.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#84Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:15pm

Hope it makes it to New York.  Saw Faye D in "Master Class."  Her performance was mesmerizing from the moment she walked out on stage.  

logan2 Profile Photo
logan2
#85Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 7:29pm

It so confusing BrodyFosse123 because Lombardo stated in a recent interview: 

The original Tea at Five premiered at Hartford Stage and was two acts: Hepburn at 31 and, after intermission, 76. “It was interesting to show two different phases of her life, but I realized the audiences responded far more to Act II. So I thought, why don’t we do a 90-minute version where she reflects on her career? It’s more concise. You know, I’ve been working on it for 18 years, so I hope I got it right this time!”

Lombardo wrote the role specifically for Faye Dunaway. “I sent it to her by messenger Monday evening, and I woke up Tuesday to a beautiful message from Faye saying she loved the play, how moved she was and how much she wanted to do it.” 

In that interview he makes it sound like changing it to a one act play focusing on the later Hepburn was not a request from Faye but something he did on his own with Faye already in his mind to do it. 

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!!

http://bostonguide.com/article-78710-boston-accent:-second-act.html

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#86Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/27/19 at 7:43pm

@logan2, I think BrodyFosse123 jumped to a conclusion but otherwise what they said is not inconsistent with what you read: (1) he (re)wrote it with her in mind, (2) he sent it to her, (3) she responded to it enthusiastically, (4) she showed up to meet with him in full conveyance of her enthusiasm. 

Jordan Catalano
#87Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 2:40pm

Tonight is opening night. I’m so curious to know what critics are going to say.

OrlandoTheatreLover
#88Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 7:53pm

I flew from Orlando to see the great Dunaway (or at least I thought) in this Tuesday. I was so looking forward to a great night of Theatre, but that was NOT the case. I think 78yo Dunaway should retire as she stumbled over the lines the entire play. It was painful to watch and not just the part during curtain call when she lost her balance and fell over. Also the autograph sellers that never go to the show and take all of her time away from the real people who came to the show are really annoying and rude. Everything about this was a train wreck. I wish I had something nice to say about it. Well, here goes, it was nice that it was over. There. I wish I had liked it. Just like I wish Dunaway cared enough after 50+ years to know the difference between a fan and these asses that use her for profit. Lesson learned here at least.

OrlandoTheatreLover
#89Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 7:58pm

I flew from Orlando to see the great Dunaway (or at least I thought) in this Tuesday. I was so looking forward to a great night of Theatre, but that was NOT the case. I think 78yo Dunaway should retire as she stumbled over the lines the entire play. It was painful to watch and not just the part during curtain call when she lost her balance and fell over. Also the autograph sellers that never go to the show and take all of her time away from the real people who came to the show are really annoying and rude. Everything about this was a train wreck. I wish I had something nice to say about it. Well, here goes, it was nice that it was over. There. I wish I had liked it. Just like I wish Dunaway cared enough after 50+ years to know the difference between a fan and these asses that use her for profit. Lesson learned here at least.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#90Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 8:24pm

In these photos of her in previews, she looks more like Mary Tyler Moore in 'Ordinary People' and less like the great Hepburn in anything at all.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo-Flash-Get-A-First-Look-At-Faye-Dunaway-As-Katharine-Hepburn-In-TEA-AT-FIVE-20190624

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#91Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 8:31pm

OrlandoTheatreLover said: "I flew from Orlando to see the great Dunaway (or at least I thought) in this Tuesday. I was so looking forward to a great night of Theatre, but that was NOT the case. I think 78yo Dunaway should retire as she stumbled over the lines the entire play. It was painful to watch and not just the part during curtain call when she lost her balance and fell over. Also the autograph sellers that never go to the show and take all of her time away from the real people who came to the show are really annoying and rude. Everything about this was a train wreck. I wish I had something nice to say about it. Well, here goes, it was nice that it was over. There. I wish I had liked it. Just like I wish Dunaway cared enough after 50+ years to know the difference between a fan and these asses that use her for profit. Lesson learned here at least."

I think you need a nap. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#92Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 8:55pm

eating this up...i could read folks reviews of this all day long.  fascinating.   couldn't care less about fans waiting for autographs but love hearing about the show...damn she still hasn't learned her lines ON TOP OF the fact that Faye is making some deliberate choices on HOW she portrays Katherine Hepburn.  Wow.  

assuming if critics are seeing it tonight theres a good chance Boston Globe would post tomorrow?  Wonder if any NY critics are planning on review?

Jordan Catalano
#93Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 9:09pm

Would reviews not come out tonight?

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#94Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 10:58pm

Before this thread reaches the fifth page can someone, ANYONE, give us an update on the things that really matter? What is the show curtain, merch, and stage door like for this show? 

Asking because I'm a SERIOUS theater aficionado. 

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Jordan Catalano
#95Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/28/19 at 11:02pm

Red curtain, no merch and no idea about stage door.

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#96Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/29/19 at 9:30am

reviews still haven't posted, yet

my guess is that they invited critics to last night/s performance so critics are still filling their reviews??

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#97Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/29/19 at 2:34pm

wonderwaiter said: "Before this thread reaches the fifth page can someone, ANYONE, give us an update on the things that really matter? What is the show curtain, merch, and stage door like for this show?

Asking because I'm a SERIOUS theater aficionado.
"

I was unironically going to ask the last question because my mother has been a fan of Ms Dunaway since Bonnie and Clyde. cheeky

pjc1
#98Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/29/19 at 3:10pm

Saw this review just posted: https://www.theatretalkboston.com/post/review-tea-at-five-huntington-avenue-theatre-pre-broadway-engagement

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#99Playwright Matthew Lombardo talks Dunaway and
Posted: 6/30/19 at 12:11am

nealb1 said: "Hope it makes it to New York. Saw Faye D in "Master Class." Her performance was mesmerizing from the moment she walked out on stage."

Callas is in her wheelhouse. Im not surprised she was marvelous. Hepburn is not. This is why I wish she was given a new role in a new play or at least something in line with her talent. Mimicking Kate Hepburn is a terrible idea for her. Didnt she do Master Class over 20 years ago?

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello