pixeltracker

Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release

Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:04pm

Another Broadway show filmed in the West End due to crazy union regulations. 

Closing on Broadway? New content for Disney+?

http://www.filmedonstage.com/news/44-west-end's-aladdin-filmed-for-future-worldwide-release!

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.
Updated On: 9/2/19 at 05:04 PM

thedrybandit
#2Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:10pm

TaleofTwo said: "Another Broadway show filmed inthe West End due to crazyunion regulations."

Crazy union regulations like paying the people who do the work that the company filming it will be profiting off of?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#3Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:19pm

thedrybandit said: "TaleofTwo said: "Another Broadway show filmed inthe West End due to crazyunion regulations."

Crazy union regulations like paying the people who do the work that the company filming it will be profiting off of?
"

No.

It's not about the money but about the regulation around it. 30 different contracts to record one Broadway show makes this both a nightmare and a big financial risk which is not worth it if you're not recording 'Hamilton'.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:21pm

thedrybandit said: "TaleofTwo said: "Another Broadway show filmed inthe West End due to crazyunion regulations."

"

It's really hard though. Like I think we need to be thankful for unions because the working conditions on Broadway are much higher than they would be otherwise. It's nice that people can make a career out of it, and I'm sure it only promotes healthy competition of performers & creatives so that the quality remains the best in the world for musical theatre (in my opinion). However, in the case of audio + visual filming on Broadway no one is really making any money out of this, and it only can help the carer of the people who are apparently being 'protected' by helping create exposure and ensuring memories are not forgotten. 

Would Bernadette Peters be as big a star as she is if it weren't for the filmings of Sunday and Into the Woods? I doubt it. 

Not to sound like a Republican, but sometimes you do have to give a bit more freedom to encourage job creation, innovation & growth. Making it prohibitively costly to film Broadway shows is probably hurting the careers of those that could be featured more than helping. Not to mention the great artistic loss of shows disappearing forever (though the Lincoln Archive thankfully is helping with this in the mean time).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BwayLB
#5Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 5:48pm

Was not the scenario i had in mind

LightsOut90
#6Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/1/19 at 9:46pm

Disney is a Billion dollar company if anyone shouldnt be skirting around the unions and doing this on the cheap it is them

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#7Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 4:28am

LightsOut90 said: "Disney is a Billion dollar company if anyone shouldnt be skirting around the unions and doing this on the cheap it is them"

Disney Theatricals got their own budget, and its not that big. I assume they're the ones paying for it.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#8Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 8:29am

Oh dear, I hope the cast isnt the same one I saw last April, the 2 leads were dreadful and couldn't harmonize at all in "A whole new world" was just awful singing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Javi Profile Photo
Javi
#9Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 8:54am

Ainsley Melham, who was Australia’s original Aladdin and just recently finished a stint playing the role on Broadway, played Aladdin in the live taping. He’s really good. Seems like he just played the role for the taping, not having performed in the West End produciton previously. His Aussie co-star Robert Tripolino seems to have also been in the cast. He was the original Omar in Australia. He is now playing Jesus in ‘Jesus Christ Superstar’ in London.

trpguyy
#10Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 10:23am

Isabelle McCalla is the Jasmine of record.

I won’t jump into the Union/cost speculation, but not for nothing, the London physical production is notably better looking than Broadway’s. 

Updated On: 9/2/19 at 10:23 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#11Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:15am

Ill never be mad at a show being filmed for release but I hate that they’re Now always with the closing casts.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#12Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:33am

Jordan Catalano said: "Ill never be mad at a show being filmed for release but I hate that they’re Now always with the closing casts. "

With this it’s not even the closing cast, though. The west end cast finished up about a week ago. Seems like they just brought in Ainsley, Isabelle and co for one performance or perhaps a week of filming. Isn’t that how newsies did it?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:50am

Disney+, probably. No way they'd license this someplace like Netflix (or Bway HD) now. It's cheap enough for a streaming service, and they can say "if you liked Aladdin (2019) or Aladdin (1992), you'll love Broadway's Aladdin in London!"

Wish they got James Iglehart's performance on tape.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#14Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 11:51am

qolbinau said: " Would Bernadette Peters be as big a star as she is if it weren't for the filmings of Sunday and Into the Woods? I doubt it.”

Peters was already a Golden Globe-winning star, and had appeared in ten movies and countless television episodes by that time. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 12:32pm

What makes the physical productions different?

MikeInTheDistrict Profile Photo
MikeInTheDistrict
#16Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 12:59pm

I always assumed the productions are replicas of each other, but the sets look slightly different? I'm guessing this is the cave of wonders in all photos.

London: http://www.studio-hamburg-werkstaetten.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/aladdin_02.jpg

Broadway:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNLG8vLVAAECkRx.jpg
Updated On: 9/2/19 at 12:59 PM

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#17Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 1:10pm

I hadn't noticed anything different when I saw them both.

I just hope they include (or film properly) any set transitions

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

BwayLB
#18Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 1:19pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Disney+, probably. No way they'd license this someplace like Netflix (or Bway HD) now. It's cheap enough for a streaming service, and they can say "if you liked Aladdin (2019) or Aladdin (1992), you'll love Broadway's Aladdin in London!"

Wish they got James Iglehart's performance on tape.
"

I wish for both James and Jonathan Freeman but oh well

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#19Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 1:57pm

Kad said: "qolbinau said: "Would Bernadette Peters be as big a star as she is if it weren't for the filmings of Sunday and Into the Woods? I doubt it.”

Peters was already a Golden Globe-winning star,and had appeared in ten movies and countless television episodes by that time.
"

...including her numerous appearances on talk and variety shows (especially the Carol Burnett Show) long before "Sunday..." or "...Woods".

batboysings
#20Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 2:45pm

Jonathan Freeman took part in this taping as did Don Daryl Rivera.

The long-time London genie Trevor Dion-Nicholas was also in it.

Plus the London ensemble.

trpguyy
#21Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 3:12pm

RippedMan said: "What makes the physical productions different?"

Generally, things are newer and were built with the advantage of having done it a few times already and gotten the kinks out. Small details may not be noticed by most in a theater, but could be in a 4K closeup.

Specifically, the London Cave of Wonders has a different (more vivid and shiny) gold treatment and a few years’ less pyro dust and tarnish on it. The magic carpet flight is also more advanced. 

Wayman_Wong
#22Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 3:59pm

It's terrific whenever musicals get filmed, but it seems such a shame when the Broadway actors who originated those roles don't get to re-create them. I wonder if any thought was given to asking Adam Jacobs, a Drama Desk nominee, and James Monroe Iglehart, a Tony winner, to tape ''Aladdin.''

When Disney taped the national tour of ''Newsies,'' I was thrilled they brought back Jeremy Jordan, Kara Lindsay and Ben Fankhauser, its original Broadway principals.

Updated On: 9/2/19 at 03:59 PM

batboysings
#23Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 4:09pm

My guess is that sometimes you can 'age out' of a role. Adam Jacobs is, I believe, 37... Maybe he's now just too old to be playing a character that's supposed to be teen aged or there about.

Wayman_Wong
#24Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 4:22pm

Batboysings, that's a good point. When I saw ''Aladdin,'' I remember Adam as still looking young and boyish. Turns out he's now 40. Ainsley Melham, on the other hand, is 27. I don't know how old Matthew Croke, the last Aladdin on the West End (I think), is, but Ainsley looks younger than him. 

But that still leaves Iglehart. Aren't genies ageless?  Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release

Updated On: 9/2/19 at 04:22 PM

sparksatmidnight
#25Disney's ALADDIN filmed for release
Posted: 9/2/19 at 4:34pm

Yes, but winning a Tony also comes with higher paychecks, especially for the role they won a Tony for :p

I'm still thrilled to get another recording of the score to hear. It's a shame they don't seem to record two times in the same language anymore.