Soft Power Previews

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#50Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/19/19 at 12:42pm

You’re welcome! That code can be used for all the fall shows at the Public. It won’t work for premium seats though. 

Updated On: 10/19/19 at 12:42 PM

gibsons2
#51Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/19/19 at 5:51pm

Will you please post a code for the Public winter/spring shows, if you will have it?? Thank you!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#52Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 8:30am

macnyc said: "Use code PPLMVR20 for $30 tickets with no fees!"

Thank you for this! I got a ticket for next weekend.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#53Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 11:00am

gibsons2 said: "Will you please post a code for the Public winter/spring shows, if you will have it?? Thank you!"

The code I posted will work for all the Public shows on sale now. I don’t know about the Spring shows. I hope there is another code!

JBC3
#54Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 4:05pm

Are there any restrictions for who can use this code? Is it for students or a special classification?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#55Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 8:11pm

Hopefully not cuz I just used it!

Thank you again! I was afraid I was going to miss it, as I see way too much to pay $100 for anything.

SouthernCakes
#56Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 10:38pm

I saw this tonight via the code above & had no issues!

I really enjoyed the show! It’s a funky fever dream & really enjoyed it! And damn that orchestra sounded lush and gorgeous!

I actually love the idea of a reworked KING & I with Hilary Clinton and China. I think they could get rid of all the real life David H. Parts and just make it a fantastical romantic comedy musical with Hilary, and it would be kind of brilliant. When the lamp post came out & she had on the yellow dress it was just such a romantic comedy moment and perfect, and I actually really loved the score. Nice to hear a new original score. Totally recommend.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#57Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 11:40pm

JBC3 said: "Are there any restrictions for who can use this code? Is it for students or a special classification?"

No restrictions that I know of!

52889j
#58Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/20/19 at 11:57pm

SouthernCakes said: "I saw this tonight via the code above & had no issues!

I really enjoyed the show! It’s a funky fever dream & really enjoyed it! And damn that orchestra sounded lush and gorgeous!

I actually love the idea of a reworked KING & I with Hilary Clinton and China. I think they could get rid of all the real life David H. Parts and just make it a fantastical romantic comedy musical with Hilary, and it would be kind of brilliant. When the lamp post came out & she had on the yellow dress it was just such a romantic comedy moment and perfect, and I actually really loved the score. Nice to hear a new original score. Totally recommend.
"

Was also there tonight and mostly agree with this idea. The majority of the satire worked for me, it was when the book became heartfelt to a fault that I disconnected. 

I was also devastated to see a slip in the program informing me that Ricamora was out. I'm a huge fan and he was a selling point for me. Bustamante was quite good though, especially his dialect work.

Updated On: 10/21/19 at 11:57 PM

SouthernCakes
#59Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/21/19 at 12:15am

Agreed! I thought he had a really beautiful voice as well. I think there’s a really interesting musical in there but think they should lean more into rom-com.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#60Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/21/19 at 10:37am

52889j said: "I was also devastated to see a slip in the program informing me that Ricamora was out. I'm a huge fan and he was a selling point for me. Bustamante was quite good though, especially his dialect work."

Aww, too bad. After the Saturday matinee, he had an ice pack on his back, saying it has been spasming since opening night.. 

round2 Profile Photo
round2
#61Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/21/19 at 11:14am

macnyc said: "Use code PPLMVR20 for $30 tickets with no fees!"

Thanks so much for posting this, macnyc! I was able to get tix using the code for Soft Power, The Michaels, and Bright Room Called Day - plus snagged seats for Julia Sweeney's one-night performance of her new show, Older and Wider. I'm thrilled to get affordable tickets for all of this - much appreciated!

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#62Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/22/19 at 2:29am

So what has been changed since it's run in San Francisco? It seems like the biggest ones I can gather from reviews are that the project DHH is working on for Xue has shifted from a TV series to a musical (WOW that makes sense.) and that the stabbing is portrayed onstage. Anything else? 

Calcifer2
#63Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/22/19 at 2:05pm

Now extended through November 17.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#64Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/22/19 at 2:12pm

Woohoo! Filled my last slot for the 17th. Just bummed I have to miss The Sound Inside, but this sounds so fascinating.

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#65Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/23/19 at 9:57am

Dang, looks like I just missed out on this.  Code doesn't work anymore.  sad

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 09:57 AM

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#66Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/23/19 at 10:11am

I found out via Twitter that new codes are coming soon. I wrote back to ask if they're for the fall shows or the spring shows.

Updated On: 10/23/19 at 10:11 AM

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#67Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/23/19 at 10:49am

Awesome, thanks.  I know the code you posted was publicly-available (and shareable), so I'd love to hear about any update you get.

ccbway
#68Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/26/19 at 12:24am

Frankly, I don't understand people calling this confusing or a mess - it's not really that confusing - anyone should basically understand the show within a show concept, even if it's wrapped in "dream" - I missed Ricamora tonight as well, so I guess he's still out with this injury - but still found this musical to be quite engaging, clever, funny, and very well performed. The only thing I thought needed work was the lyrics which could use some help. Some of the pauses were a tad odd as well, but nothing even close to "disaster" that some of the people in this thread seem to be branding this thing as.

I suppose if you're a devout Trump fan/conservative you would clearly find issue with this work, but it's not like DHH was writing this thing to appeal to that kind of audience. But frankly, most, if not all modern theater isn't really geared towards an audience that isn't progressive in their thinking.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#69Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/26/19 at 10:59am

If anyone gets a code for $30 tickets in the future, please don't share it on here. I don't think it's a coincidence that the months-old code was pulled days after it was posted here. I learned about it a while ago from a friend, and I shared it with a few close friends, but that's it. Not everyone needs to know everything. 

Updated On: 10/26/19 at 10:59 AM

SouthernCakes
#70Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/26/19 at 11:31am

Well I saw the show with the code so I’m thankful for it

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#71Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/26/19 at 12:23pm

CT2NYC said: "If anyone gets a code for $30 tickets inthe future, please don't share it on here. I don't think it's a coincidence that the months-old code was pulled days after it was posted here.I learned about it a while ago from a friend, and I shared it with a few close friends, but that's it. Not everyone needs to know everything."

I hesitated before posting it, but the organization that issued the code said specifically to retweet and share it. But maybe you’re right.   

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#72Soft Power Previews
Posted: 10/26/19 at 5:40pm

This show is something else. It's a quirky, campy, political, and dramatic whirlwind. I enjoyed this for the most part, but it is an extremely strange piece, and not 100% successful. I enjoyed the performances (Conrad Ricomara was out), and I thought the set and other design elements were all top notch. Definitely worth the $30 I spend for my ticket.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#73Soft Power Previews
Posted: 11/8/19 at 9:56am

This show is crazy. I loved it. It was all over the place, and wasn't afraid to do whatever the hell it wanted. A musical-political-satire within a play, and I think the bookends of the play really allowed the audience to understand the intent of the musical. Some of the themes and Trump stuff seemed a bit heavy handed, but the satire lets people just sit back, enjoy, and take a few things with them that end up being more interesting thematically. And thematically there was a lot stuffed in -- saving face vs vulnerability, fighting for someone vs doing what is best for them -- but they all seemed to hit some notes for me and ask questions.The musical references were so well done. I was dying laughing at the LaLaLand visual at the end of Act 2. Conrad Ricamora is a certified dreamboat.

And there is one thing I can certifiably say:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Updated On: 11/8/19 at 09:56 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#74Soft Power Previews
Posted: 11/8/19 at 10:19am

I enjoyed the show as a whole, but I think asking the audience to invest in an ironic show-within-a-show for this long is a big ask. I was longing for David Henry Hwang, the character, to be more of a throughline in that portion for us to hook into, rather than a featured character. It's sort of like having a Wizard of Oz in which Dorothy is not the main character of the Oz portion. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."