pixeltracker

Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination- Page 2

Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination

Rainah
#25Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 2:20am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "So...according to the article, if she had apologized for the post, she might have been able to keep the job, but she refused??? This girl is in the wrong business."

Yepppp. All it would have took was a half assed "as a christian it is important to love everyone as jesus preaches." and it likely would have blown over.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#26Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 2:43am

Rainah said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "So...according to the article, if she had apologized for the post, she might have been able to keep the job, but she refused??? This girl is in the wrong business."

Yepppp. All it would have took was a half assed "as a christian it is important to love everyone as jesus preaches." and it likely would have blown over.
"

Yes but if she truly believed what she said she believed, which is likely because it is business as usual Christian belief and the bible passage she quoted taken at face value is pretty clear,  maybe she didn’t want to lie and uphold what she believed to be her integrity.

I find it interesting that we talk here almost as if there is no religion at play here - that she is simply ‘homophobic’ and used her religion to cover herself as if there is some conspiracy here. People aren’t born Wicked - when someone tells you they have religious beliefs that are against gay people, when they quote religious texts that are against gay people, and when they identify as being part of a system that has a hallmark of being against gay people such as through its teachings, its religious texts, its sacraments, its typical community behaviours  and its influence on government policy. And when they are a victim of a system which indoctrinates children at a young age, maybe we can see that yes this is another example of the effect of religion playing out at a local level. 

And these systems, this intellectual child abuse has cost her career, lost audiences a potential talent and potentially but unlikely given she wasn’t well known affected the mental health of gay people in the form of a tweet. Awful.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 3/31/21 at 02:43 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 2:46am

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

UncleCharlie
#28Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 3:22am

qolbinau said: "And these systems, this intellectual child abuse has cost her career, lost audiences a potential talent and potentially but unlikely given she wasn’t well known affected the mental health of gay people in the form of a tweet. Awful. Religion is not ok."

So basically, it's not her fault cause she's a victim of intellectual child abuse? Wow, it's been a while since your last ridiculous screed on the horrible evils of organized religion in any form. How disappointed you must be that your attempt to frame her as yet another poor victim of the indoctrinations by those crazy Christians was largely a "no sale" here with people bright enough to recognize that her problems are solely of her own doing and completely within her control. 

It did however remind me of a great line from the brilliant 2003 Christopher Guest mockumentary "A Mighty Wind" in which one of the lead characters in a behind the scenes interview admits "There had been abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature."

Updated On: 9/30/19 at 03:22 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#29Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 4:47am

Updated On: 3/31/21 at 04:47 AM

BWAY Baby2
#30Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 4:58am

I wish people would leave their religions at the doorway when they go to work- she might lose her case in the UK- but here in Trump's America- she might win.  It is all political- does religion trump individual freedom or does individual freedom trump religion? Depends on the culture and laws passed by each state or country . No right or wrong- though I think religion, for the most part, misguides and stinks.

UncleCharlie
#31Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 6:10am

qolbinau said: "If “bright” means oversimplifying the issue, ignoring the impact of child abuse and indoctrination, religious systems, texts, etc on this issue that is so clearly religious in nature it is actually a joke, then yes we are a very bright bunch indeed.

As usual, we are slaves to this awful system that continues to get even us protecting and defending it at all costs. Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. We live in the modern Middle Ages.
"

Blah, blah, blah, blah blah.

2.5 billion Christians, 2 billion followers of Islam, 1 billion followers of Hinduism, 500 million Buddhists. Every one of them slaves to this awful system, subject to the most heinous child abuse, walking, talking zombies unable to think for themselves, not responsible for what they think, say or do because of this relentless brainwashing they have been subject to. Only I, who eschews all forms of religion, a true intellectual, the enlightened one if you will, can see it and recognizes these evils and the horrible effect it is having on 90% of the population. Only I see the solution. Renounce all religion, Renounce all spirtuality. While this woman may only represent 0.0000000004% of all followers of Christianity, all 2.5 billion are corrupted and it's only a matter of time before the abuse they suffered causes them to demonstrate the same actions and biases. 

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Updated On: 9/30/19 at 06:10 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#32Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 6:33am

Updated On: 3/31/21 at 06:33 AM

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#33Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:50am

I largely agree with qolbinau's take on the dangers of religion. Obviously it doesn't cripple everyone it touches, but I don't believe anyone is really better off because of religious belief, and many, many people are worse off.

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
#34Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 9:56am

As a queer person of faith it saddens me that the loudest voices are those that turn people away from the church. Not all Christians are anti-gay––and really, none should be. If your faith causes you to be super judgmental and comes from a place of us vs. them and hatred instead of a place of compassion and love, then you're doing it wrong.

Religion isn't the problem: religious extremism and fundamentalism is. 

I obviously strongly disagree with Omooba's interpretation of scripture. Here's a link with a great explanation as to why her interpretation is wrong. 

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#35Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:02pm

TheGingerBreadMan said: "It’s not pretending. A real Christian loves all people. Not this pick-and-choose BS. That’s not what the Bible is about. I’m a former Christian and this kind of hypocrisy is exactly why I left the church."

Same here, but I also have a problem with the idea that God required a blood sacrifice to save us from our sins. I mean, S/He is God; S/He makes the rules. S/He could--and I think would--make a different "rule".

Updated On: 9/30/19 at 08:02 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#36Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:10pm

qolbinau said: "Finally starting to talk some sense."

Not really. Posters here are conflating "religion" with "fundamentalism". (So do intellectuals such as Stephen Dawkins, Sam Harris and Bill Maher.) I'm sure there's a technical term for argument based on the worst possible example.

There are millions of people who find in their faith a call to charity and tolerance. They just don't make the news too often because they are not so outrageous as the Fundies who pick and choose which passage of Leviticus they will enforce.

Of course there are billions of Fundamentalists (from all religions) so I don't blame anyone for sounding the alarm. I just want to be fair to those who find a more beneficial calling from their beliefs.

JFC, this site is so full of ads that they now overlap the posts on my screen (extra-wide Mac laptop) so I can't even proofread my own contributions. This site is becoming unusable. So sad.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#37Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:29pm

This makes me wonder what will happen with Adrianna Hicks from Six. She has liked posts supporting conversion programs.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#38Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 8:31pm

TheQuibbler said: "I won’t be able to articulate this as succinctly as I would like, but what’s interesting to me is obviously one can have religious views and not be homophobic but someone will have to prove that she was fired due to her religious beliefs separate of her homophobic remarks. And yet it seems she’s almost conflating them to be one and the same as if homophobia is part of her religious identity and she was then fired for that identity.
"

Perfectly phrased. 

ahhrealmonsters
#39Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 9/30/19 at 9:59pm

DMsquared2 said: "As a queer person of faith it saddens me that the loudest voices are those that turnpeople away from the church. Not all Christians are anti-gay––and really, none should be. If your faith causes you to be super judgmentalandcomes from a place of us vs. them and hatred instead of a place of compassion and love, then you're doing it wrong.

Religion isn't the problem:religious extremismand fundamentalismis.

I obviously strongly disagree withOmooba's interpretation of scripture.Here's a linkwith a great explanation as towhy her interpretation is wrong.
"

I'm with DMsquared2 on this. I am a religious person, and I am also very gay. I've actually had more issues about being gay from non-religious people than religious ones. I work at a religious institution, where I have been out since day 1, and I have been met with nothing but love. I realize how fortunate (and blessed, if I may use the word) I am to have this experience. I guess it depends on the religion & denomination, but religion in general is not dangerous (in my humble opinion). There's a huge difference between a liberal, gay, religious person such as myself and, say, Kirk Cameron. Both love God, but we take God's words very differently. Then look at someone like Trump, who is awful to LBGTQ+ people, and he doesn't have the religion to back up his hate.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 2:27am

“ Posters here are conflating "religion" with "fundamentalism””
Yes because those that reinterpret or ignore or reject the dogma are moving away from the religion not moving towards it. I definitely agree that like the example people you mentioned I am concerned when people actually follow and practice many of the core teachings of these religions (call it fundamentalism if you will). If people move away from the religion and don’t take it so seriously that is a good thing and highlights the very issue at hand here - the good of the mental and physical wellbeing of many people seems to involve moving away not toward religion.

Updated On: 10/1/19 at 02:27 AM

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#41Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 5:59am

I disagree with her views, but what gives me pause in cases like this is that not too many decades ago, the same kind of "her comments have caused significant concern" reasoning would have been applied to justify firing an employee who made comments in favour of gay rights. (And of course, that type of thing is still happening in some industries and places.) I don't think I can logically support that those who express controversial-within-their-context opinions which I like, be afforded more protection than those who express controversial opinions which I don't like. It's difficult, but personally I would rather err on the side of letting offensive opinions be voiced with relative impunity (and it's debatable what that means of course), than risk having important opinions go unvoiced. Just to confuse businesses everywhere, I think I would actually be more likely to support a business which upheld this principle by not firing employees who made controversial remarks. Because ultimately, that stance would serve to protect employees wishing to express 'good' controversial opinions.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#42Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 8:57am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "This makes me wonder what will happen with Adrianna Hicks from Six. She has liked posts supporting conversion programs."

If this is true, I'd say this is something she needs to clear up immediately, if she hasn't already.

suicidalmickeymouse
#43Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:07am

https://mobile.twitter.com/stanveriy/status/1163605214533996545

Unfortunately true. Here are some screenshots.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.

SeanD2
Olivia11
#45Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:22am

Too little too late on the apology. You’re sorry you got caught. 

Updated On: 10/1/19 at 09:22 AM

suicidalmickeymouse
#46Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:31am

Accidental misunderstanding of one post? Sure. 5+? Yeah right.

Updated On: 10/1/19 at 09:31 AM

Impossible2
#47Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 9:36am

kdogg36 said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "This makes me wonder what will happen with Adrianna Hicks from Six. She has liked posts supporting conversion programs."

If this is true, I'd say this is something she needs to clear up immediately, if she hasn't already.
"

It was cleared up and a public apology was made months ago.

Why someone would even bring it up 2 months later other than to stir the pot and try create a new drama is beyond me.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#48Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 10:24am

People, especially those in the public eye, really just need to be smarter with their social media.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#49Fired Color Purple actress sues for religious discrimination
Posted: 10/1/19 at 11:46am

Easy to say, hard to do. I am glad she apologized. It's really all she could do, but she could also have chosen to be belligerently vocally hateful. Whether she means it or is just trying to protect her career, she made the right choice.