SING STREET @ NYTW

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#125SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/11/19 at 11:16am

My friend also won the lottery for the Dec. 8 matinee, so I got to see it again! (Also great seats, Row H. Thanks, NYTW!)

I had seen the first preview (on Nov. 25), and I wish my memory for these things was better, because I'm sure there were lots of changes. But here are my thoughts. Putting them in the spoiler box:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

In the first preview, the actor playing Brendan is in the bed on stage as the audience enters. As CarmenA3 noted, now the actor is hidden inside a dollhouse-like structure on stage, which is quite beautiful and must have been expensive to build. (Maybe they'll use it on Broadway.) But I felt sorry for the actor that now he has to be scrunched up for a half hour instead of lying comfortably in a bed. LOL

On Dec. 8, I was struck by the band's early rough patch, where they were jarringly out of tune and playing wrong notes. Eamon's mom comes in and talks to them about listening to one another. Then they start playing better. I don't remember that from the first preview, but maybe it's my bad memory.

(A very slight spoiler follows:)

I had a question about the beautiful song, I Will Dream for You (which is not in the movie). It starts with a fragment of a hymn sung by Brother Baxter, who is sitting on the side of the stage. I believe that part is a cappella. Then Conor starts singing I Will Dream for You, and I think that is also a cappella. After that, the rest of the band joins in at various points. 

I am wondering what the connection is between Brother Baxter and the song. I was watching Martin Moran's face as he sang (he sounds amazing), and I was wondering if he were feeling remorse or having an emotional breakthrough about how badly he treats the students. But I didn't see any sign of contrition on his part.

Then I thought maybe both parts of the song can be considered to be a prayer of sorts

So basically I'm asking, does the arrangement of this song serve to connect Brother Baxter and Conor or to contrast them?

Updated On: 12/11/19 at 11:16 AM

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#127SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/11/19 at 4:19pm

macny: 

I thought the same about Brendan being inside the house - it can't be very comfortable!

Now that you mention it, I too felt that the first band practice "disharmony" is more obvious - great update IMO. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#128SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/11/19 at 4:23pm

DoTheDood said: "CarmenA3 said: "Has a show ever announced a Broadway run before even ending their off-Bway run?"

The only exception I can find is Hamilton, but honestly nothing can beat that original Hamiltonhype obviously so we might not find out for Sing Street at least until the run is over.

Edit: More have as I've looked into it. Shows like Dear Evan Hansen, Fun Home, and Be More Chill did, but only near the end of their off-B'way run (probably at least until the off-B'way run was sold out).
"

Another hit musical that originated at NYTW announced a Broadway transfer on its opening night and went on to be a hit: Once. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/11/19 at 04:23 PM

jonah3500
#129SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/11/19 at 6:19pm

CarmenA3 said: "macny:

I thought the same about Brendan being inside the house - it can't be very comfortable!

Now that you mention it, I too felt that the first band practice "disharmony" is more obvious - great update IMO.

"

Actually if you look closely, it seems like there is no back to the house, making it a bit more comfy.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#130SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/11/19 at 8:48pm

SING STREET @ NYTW

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#131SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:29am

jonah3500: Oh, yes, it's definitely backless, but still can't be comfortable to sit in that position for 30mins+ on a hard table. 

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#132SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/14/19 at 12:19am

Unexpected return to the show as it heads into press weekend for Monday's Opening.  A few things I noticed tonight:

-Conor has a new beanie for the opening scene, it's black/dark blue. I loved the tan one (I knit/crochet and it really caught my eye LOL)

-When the school crest is projected onto the screen background, it now has a 3-d/shadow effect. I like it, much better than the flat 2D look before.

-The curtain call has changed. Tonight they come out and stood in three rows from downstage to back, with Conor, Raphina, Brendan and someone else (blocked view) in the front row. They bow, criss-cross, bow again, and then take a bow as one line. Really liked it!

-In the bathroom scene with Brother Baxter, the sponge is now in a holder and has some foam (I hope it's bubble gum flavored and not real soap!). When he wipes Conor's face, his face gets the foam. In a previous show, the sponge had fallen on the floor as the sink was being moved in, so Brother Baxter ended up wiping Conor's face with just his hand!

I didn't notice any story/plot changes and today was their final rehearsal per Zara's IG. There were press folks at the show tonight. Happy Opening to them on Monday!

nicolep76
#133SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 4:00pm

Opening is tonight! Any guesses how this will fare with critics?

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#134SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 4:23pm

nicolep76 said: "Opening is tonight! Any guesses how this will fare with critics?"

Excited for the cast and crew! I hope they're all positive, but one thing that will be (or should be) mentioned is the projections. To me, they didn't add much of anything except emphasize that we're on an island, and yes, a metaphor for being stuck, I understand, but could have easily gone without.

I expect mixed reviews - personally I love the show - but I can see where a critic could pick at things. Fingers crossed! 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
nicolep76
#136SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 8:45pm

Interested to see how the rest of the reviews pan out....I don’t typically agree with David Cote’s reviews in general so was not surprised he basically hated it. I really enjoyed the show and am a fan of the movie but agree some things still need to be tweaked and refined for a Broadway run.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#138SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 11:38pm

I'm sad, but not especially surprised about the tepid reviews for this. 

And while I loved this show and I'm rooting for it, I'll say the same thing I said when Wrong Man reviews came out; for shows like Sing Street, Wrong Man, Secret Life of Bees, etc. reviews are very important to garnering the momentum to justify a transfer. So when people start predicting Broadway transfers for these shows right out of the gate, before we find out if the show is well-received by critics, it's really jumping the gun. Just because a show looks like Transfer-Bait on paper, and just because Michael Riedel says they want it to transfer, doesn't mean it'll happen. 

I hope these reviews don't prevent a Broadway transfer (and I guess they won't, if the Lyceum rumor is true - though I remain skeptical). But it can't help their chances. 

It's a real shame, because I really enjoyed - even loved - all 3 of the shows I named above. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#139SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 11:44pm

JBroadway said: "I'm sad, but not especially surprised about the tepid reviews for this.

And while I loved this show and I'm rooting for it, I'll say the same thing I said when Wrong Man reviews came out;for shows like Sing Street, Wrong Man, Secret Life of Bees, etc. reviews are very important to garnering the momentum to justify a transfer. So when people start predicting Broadway transfers for these shows right out of the gate, before we find out if the show is well-received by critics, it's really jumping the gun. Just because a show looks like Transfer-Bait on paper, and just because Michael Riedel says they want it to transfer, doesn't mean it'll happen.

I hope these reviews don't preventa Broadway transfer (and Iguess they won't, if the Lyceum rumor istrue - though I remain skeptical). But it can't help their chances.

It's a real shame, because I really enjoyed - even loved - all 3 of the shows I named above.
"

I appreciate the sentiment, but with the specific case of Sing Street, the transfer wasn’t a prediction on the boards behalf. It’s based off information from multiple sources involved with the production, and has been in the works since before previews began. Whether or not it happens now won’t be because it never was going to - it was, and has a theater reserved - but a matter of momentum. The run is still very well sold and word of mouth is stellar. Definitely will be interested to see how it plays out. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#140SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/16/19 at 11:58pm

Sorry if I was unclear - but I'm not just talking about predictions from the board. I'm saying that even if the production truly does intend to transfer, and has intended to transfer since day 1, their plans still could potentially be derailed by tepid reviews, if investors lose faith in it. Plus it slows the show's "momentum," to use your word. 

And I admit that if they really do have the Lyceum booked, then yeah, the reviews probably won't effect them much. Unless some key investors REALLY freak out and jump ship. But if they've already gone with the show this far, I'd be surprised if they don't see it through, especially since, as you pointed out, the reviews and word-of-mouth are far from disastrous. My skepticism on this point is mainly about whether or not the Lyceum rumor is actually true. Sure, some people on this board have been saying it with absolute, utter certainty. But at the end of the day, I'm inclined to wait until the official press release before I fully believe anything. 

Updated On: 12/17/19 at 11:58 PM

Wayman_Wong
#141SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 2:26am

The Guardian: 'Sing Street' heads to stage with something missing

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/dec/16/sing-street-review-new-york-theatre-workshop

Updated On: 12/17/19 at 02:26 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#142SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 5:36am

Does this still go straight to Broadway in the Spring, or should they hold off and tweak the show and aim for next season?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Daddy Warbucks Profile Photo
Daddy Warbucks
#143SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 9:48am

Does this create the most ideal situation for the Shuberts, Sing Street and Beetlejuice? Shuberts have a good reason to tell Sing Street to hold off. Sing Street comes back next season retooled and is a legit contender for Best Musical. Shuberts capture political capital by helping Beetlejuice move into the Lyceum.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#144SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 9:52am

Daddy Warbucks said: "Does this create the most ideal situation for the Shuberts, Sing Street and Beetlejuice? Shuberts have a good reason to tell Sing Street to hold off. Sing Street comes back next season retooled and is a legit contender for Best Musical. Shuberts capture political capital by helping Beetlejuice move into the Lyceum. "

It’s just that Beetlejuice probably wouldn’t fit into the Lyceum. 

wolfwriter
#145SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 9:52am

The so-so reviews don’t surprise me. It seems, they didn’t work on anything substantive, during previews.

They should wait and work on it, but, if rumors are true and the papers are signed, it might transfer, as is.

That would be a shame. It has potential and they put an okay first draft on stage, but they need a different book writer or a different book and then go from there.

It seems like they want to rush a mediocre show to Broadway, rather than eventually move a great show to Broadway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#146SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 10:17am

Beetlejuice would have to be entirely reworked for the Lyceum. 950 seats is just so small for a musical to make its nut. Part of BJ's success has been its ability to sell a lot of moderately-priced tickets, because the Winter Garden is so big. At a tiny venue like the Lyceum, it would be relying much more heavily on premiums and full-priced tix.

Over the next few months, when every new venue becomes available, people will say "well what if Beetlejuice moved there!" when in reality most have been spoken for already (with backups) or wouldn't justify a $4 mil overhaul. A scale-down probably also means cutting 6-12 people from the 26-person cast, in addition to re-designing and re-orchestrating...which could irritate the fans. I don't think there will be any winning with a scaled-down BJ.

Sing Street would be smart to delay its move.

SouthernCakes
#147SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/17/19 at 12:01pm

Sounds like they tried to strike gold twice with the same Once layout but didn’t work. I didn’t realize it wasn’t John Tiffany directing.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#148SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/19/19 at 10:30am

Re: SouthernCakes

I like Rebecca Taichman's body of work, but has she ever directed a musical before? Could that play into what you're implying?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

inception Profile Photo
inception
#149SING STREET @ NYTW
Posted: 12/26/19 at 9:11am

I'm seeing this tonight at 7, & got an email from NYTW that it runs 2 hours 15 minutes with one intermission. Is the intermission included in that 2hours15 time?
I'm supposed to see Sandra Bernhard at Joe's Pub afterwards, & thought doors were 9:30, but it seems doors are 8, show is 9:30. Would hate to get heckled for arriving late.