pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread- Page 20

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread

ModernMillie3 Profile Photo
ModernMillie3
#475WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/5/20 at 2:32pm

My seat was 2nd row mezzanine, all the way on the right. So much of the stage action and video was so far to the right that we saw nothing. And our seats were not obstructed view. That was disappointing

Wow, your tickets were not marked partial view? That's going to bum out a lot of people paying for a full price ticket. There seems to be many bad seats in the theater. Ugh, sorry you had to deal with that. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#476WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/5/20 at 3:36pm

Sfcp said: "We were seats 13, 15 and 17. None of us could see."

None of you could see...what? Anita's shop? No one can see that, as its offstage. The rest of the action is played entirely in the open stage, so I can't imagine not being able to physically see anyone when they're on stage. Was the video wall obstructed?

I've seen the show, and have friends that have seen the show from the sides, and haven't heard "none of us could see" in any capacity. There's literally no set, so sight-lines should be the least bit of an issue with the show.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#477WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/5/20 at 4:02pm

Peter2 said: "Sfcp said: "Finally, there is no way that gang members in the present would use words like “buddy boy” and “daddy-o”. Anachronisms really bug me and thus was no exception."

Gang membersin the 1950s didn’t say those things either. As Sondheim has written, it’s not a street gang, it’s a musical theater gang. No way to fix it.

There is a way to "fix it"....they can simply revise that language to reflect and align with their new concept or simply cut it out in very much the same way they cut "I Feel Pretty" and the "Somewhere Ballet".

SisterGeorge
#478WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/5/20 at 4:25pm

Saw it Friday evening, and promptly bought another pair of tickets for when I return to NY in mid-February.

Easily the best Ivo production we've seen in NY since View from the Bridge (no snarky comments about a "low bar" needed). I am an unabashed fan of Robbins, but I have to admit I didn't miss his work. Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker has done a remarkable job reimagining this iconic piece. Her choreography is seriously sexy, totally contemporary and this company dances it thrillingly. What a gift to see this greatest of American musicals like we have never seen it before.

If you can sit up close (we were in Orch 4th row center) there's no danger of the videos overwhelming the live actors. I didn't plan it that way, but it was an unexpected benefit. You do, however, miss some of the footwork. Now that I've gotten to know them, I look forward to seeing more of the spectacle from row M. Sure I'd like to see Isaac when I return, but Dobson won me over from the moment he appeared. A beautifully moving performance.

Sister George

RWPrincess
#479WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/5/20 at 10:09pm

Saw this tonight from 4th row orchestra. I had used a coupon code a while back. This was my first time seeing a stage production of WSS. There were several understudies on tonight, including for both Tony and Maria. I thought the dance numbers and songs overall were very good but I was not a fan of the minimal sets combined with the screen. At times I felt like I was in a movie theater.

I don’t think I’ll see this again but if I did, I would definitely sit front mezzanine. It was hard to see footwork at times as well as what was happening when actors would lie down on the stage.

VintageSnarker
#480WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/6/20 at 7:56am

CarlosAlberto said: "
There is a way to "fix it"....they can simply revise that language to reflect and align with their new concept or simply cut it out in very much the same way they cut "I Feel Pretty" and the "Somewhere Ballet"."

YES! MORE CUTS! 

Sorry WSS 2019/20 

Sfcp
#481WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/6/20 at 8:51am

We could not tell if the shop was offstage as the view was obstructed. If action was projected on the right side (stage left) of the screen, it was not visible - such as much of the action in Doc’s. We could see people in the row in front of us craning their necks to see where the action was happening. I assure you that this is the case, even if you had not heard of this before.

West Side Story is one of the most beloved musicals of our time. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see it and I went in with high expectations. It had issues, true, and I did enjoy it, but when a musical is staged so that some of the action is not visible to a section of the audience, it should be corrected.

Globefan
#482WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/6/20 at 11:25pm

Sfcp said: "We could not tell if the shop was offstage as the view was obstructed. If action was projected on the right side (stage left) of the screen, it was not visible - such as much of the action in Doc’s. We could see people in the row in front of us craning their necks to see where the action was happening. I assure you that this is the case, even if you had not heard of this before.

West Side Story is one of the most beloved musicals of our time. I cannot tell you how excited I was to see it and I went in with high expectations. It had issues, true, and I did enjoy it, but when a musical is staged so that some of the action is not visible to a section of the audience, it should be corrected.
"

I'm sure the video will be corrected. 

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#483WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 12:10am

A Facebook friend went to the show tonight and posted a pic of the board. 8 understudies including Maria and Riff

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

RWPrincess
#484WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 12:11am

Last night there were 5 understudies when I was there

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#485WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 12:31am

I saw West Side Story Monday night. I’m still unpacking what I saw and how I feel about it. I pretty much loved it. I didn’t know until afterwards that we had the understudy (Mia Pinero) in for Maria. Her voice was amazing and she brought true emotion to her performance.

I found this choreography amazing. While I’m glad I moved from far left to row E 1, if I saw this again (which I’d loved to) I’d choose to sit a little further back to see the footwork (and floor work) better.

My only caveat is while cutting songs and making it intermissionless leads a propulsive Inevitable motion to the show, it also can feel a bit repetitive. I think I Feel Pretty would have helped alleviate some of that. I mostly loved the use of live video and the rain!

When Tony was shot (despite having seen the movie again as recently as last year), I gasped. I started tearing up, but it never lead to actual tears. Now, it’s still more of a reaction than I’ve ever had to the movie but I wanted more of an emotional reaction.

I did adore how “Gee, Officer Krupke” was performed. I also loved “Something’s Coming”, “Somewhere“ snd many more moments.

I bought the magnet, mug, and window card. In my rush to stage-door, I forgot to stop and get the stocking cap which I had decided I wanted.

Tons of the cast stagedoored. A good night. It turns out that my site that I am working at this week totally effed up and they’re going to have to have me come back probably next month to do a short follow-up training and I’m hoping maybe I can see this again then.

Updated On: 1/7/20 at 12:31 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#486WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 8:16am

suicidalmickeymouse said: "A Facebook friend went to the show tonight and posted a pic of the board. 8 understudies including Maria and Riff"

That is insane. What's going on over there... I guess dozens of Bway debuts in a physically demanding show means lots of folks out a lot.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#487WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 8:50am

The 2008 cast was slammed and criticized to no end for so many absences, including by Arthur Laurents. I hope this cast won’t be exempt from the criticism, 5-8 understudies on is a lot.

Updated On: 1/7/20 at 08:50 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#488WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 9:37am

Keep in mind, many of the understudies also play small named roles, which means that if they were to go on as an understudy, a swing would have to go on in their track. And because their normal track might be a small named role, the swing would appear on the understudy board. So in that scenario, you might see 8 understudies on the board even if only 4-5 people are out. Or 5 understudies on the board even though only 3 people are out, etc.

I’d be curious to hear what the actual understudy breakdown was on those days. Of course, if I’m wrong and there actually were 7-8 swing on, then yeah that’s somewhat alarming.

Either way it is a bit troublesome. I would guess that this is due to some combination of the following: 1) the extended rehearsal process, 2) the intensity of the rehearsal process because of frequent changes, and Ivo’s directing style, 3) the intensity of the show itself and 4) the high percentage of Broadway debuts

ren598
#489WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 9:43am

BJR said: "suicidalmickeymouse said: "A Facebook friend went to the show tonight and posted a pic of the board. 8 understudies including Maria and Riff"

That is insane. What's going on over there... I guess dozens of Bway debuts in a physically demanding show means lots of folks out a lot.
"

Not surprised.  I saw Sunday matinee this past weekend and both Tony and Maria were out.  This show seems more demanding than any other versions I’ve seen before.  I wonder if an intermission would help.  Otherwise it’s an hour and 45 minutes non-stop.

topcateast
#490WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 9:56am

JBroadway said: "I’d be curious to hear what the actual understudy breakdown was on those days. Of course, if I’m wrong and there actually were 7-8 swing on, then yeah that’s somewhat alarming.

Either way it is a bit troublesome. I would guess that this is due to some combination of the following: 1) the extended rehearsal process, 2) the intensity of the rehearsal process because of frequent changes, and Ivo’s directing style, 3) the intensity of the show itself and 4) the high percentage of Broadway debuts
"

Or, it's as simple as this:  

Given that it's cold/flu season, there could be a bug going around backstage as often happens at shows this time of year.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#491WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:39am

^Oh, don't go being rational on us - that's not the BWW way!  WSS 2019/20

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#492WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:45am

ren598 said: "I wonder if an intermission would help. Otherwise it’s an hour and 45 minutes non-stop."

Aren't most two acts about an hour and forty for the first half?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#493WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:53am

haterobics said: "ren598 said: "I wonder if an intermission would help. Otherwise it’s an hour and 45 minutes non-stop."

"

No, that would be a very long first act. Not saying it’s unheard of (I’ve seen some really long marathon shows that have a two-hour long first act), but it’s definitely not the standard. I believe some longer shows like Wicked, Hamilton, Les Mis, etc. have first acts that are somewhere in the 90-minute range, while a standard 2.5 hour show would likely have their act break after 70-75 minutes. 

That said, there are tons and tons of shows that are 100-120 minutes without an intermission. 

ren598
#494WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 10:55am

haterobics said: "ren598 said: "I wonder if an intermission would help. Otherwise it’s an hour and 45 minutes non-stop."

"

Most musicals I’ve been to with 2 acts usually has a 65-75 minute first act and a 60 minute second act.  A 105 minute dance heavy musical can be quite taxing on the body especially for many in the ensemble making their broadway debut.  It also doesn’t help that they spend a good chunk of the show in the rain.

WhenSheReads
#495WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 11:49am

I went on Sunday evening and there were understudies for Maria/Tony. We wondered whether they were trying to get understudies in to make sure the video was working properly for those montage scenes.

Ben Cook was in as Riff. Someone asked about foul language earlier and that there wasn’t but that night Riff said “f**k” after he got stabbed and the actor did not come out for the procession/curtain call. As soon as curtain call was over they asked if there was a doctor in the house and to come to the orchestra. They took someone backstage and there was an ambulance outside. We were afraid he (or someone else) had gotten seriously hurt but we have not heard anything about this anywhere.

RWPrincess
#496WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 12:04pm

For reference, this is what the Board said on Sunday night:

Tony--Jordan Dobson

Maria--Mia Pinero

Juno--Paul Morland (Swing)

Consuelo--Yesy Garcia (Swing)

Marguerita--Ilda Mason (Swing)

Note that my Playbill only had 2 understudy slips, 1 for Tony and 1 for Maria.

I also heard the call for the doctor but they were talking to the doctors over in the front of the house right section. I was in Row D so was close to where this was happening and 3 doctors walked past me as well. My impression was that it was an audience member but I didn't see the patient at all. Perhaps they were already inside the waiting ambulance. There also was a bit of a lull between the time the show ended and the doctor announcement. It was a few minutes after curtain call. 

poeerlineit
#497WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 12:09pm

I was also at the show Sunday night. Ben Cook was injured and they brought him out through stage door. He walked himself to the ambulance and it seems like he injured his shoulder or around that area. Those at stage door clapped for him on his way out. He seemed to be in good spirits so hopefully nothing too serious

trpguyy
#498WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 1:23pm

WhenSheReads said: "I went on Sunday evening and there were understudies for Maria/Tony. We wondered whether they were trying to get understudies in to make sure the video was working properly for those montage scenes"

I can assure you that understudies were not performing for the purposes of tech rehearsal. Ever. 

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#499WSS 2019/20
Posted: 1/7/20 at 1:26pm

VintageSnarker said: "YES! MORE CUTS!"

I know, right? And let's chop out the old-fashioned language in Romeo and Juliet, too.