pixeltracker

SING STREET Now Aiming To Open 2021/22- Page 2

SING STREET Now Aiming To Open 2021/22

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 2:28pm

How would a show that's smaller than BMC have such a higher cost? Odd.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#26SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 3:26pm

Maybe the song royalties? Those can add up. Plus the creative team is much more "attention-grabbing" than Be More Chill, which only had Joe Iconis to speak for it, IIRC...

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#27SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 3:34pm

All Broadway budgets have a minimum and a maximum. For this show, the maximum is $11million. But it could come in at the minimum amount (maybe 9 or 10) or somewhere in between.

The costs add up. $11m is totally normal for a new musical nowadays. Development (workshops, enhancement money to NYTW), licensing, advance payment to an esteemed creative team, physical production, cast salaries for Bway rehearsals, a proper advertising budget, etc

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#28SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 3:48pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Maybe the song royalties? Those can add up. Plus the creative team is much more "attention-grabbing" than Be More Chill, which only had Joe Iconis to speak for it, IIRC..."

But wouldn't the song royalties and creative team salaries be part of the running cost, not the capitalization? 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#29SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:08pm

Is this a jukebox musical?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#30SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:11pm

Unless a lot of improvements are made, this will close by July.
If The Prom, Cher Show, Head Over Heels, Pretty Woman, King Kong, Be More Chill, etc etc couldn't survive with better production elements & in some cases star casts, I can't see this surviving.
And I liked it.

jonah3500
#31SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:11pm

Not really, no. It does feature some songs that inspire the boys’ songs, but there are also original songs.

chrishuyen
#32SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:14pm

I think this might have been asked in the original Off Broadway thread but I don't remember if it was answered, but are there enough new songs in this production (so not from the movie) that it would be in the running for original score (which I believe has to have over 50% new songs)?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#33SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 4:27pm

chrishuyen said: "I think this might have been asked in the original Off Broadway thread but I don't remember if it was answered, but are there enough new songs in this production (so not from the movie) that it would be in the running for original score (which I believe has to have over 50% new songs)?"

No, not even close. There's only 1 new song in the musical. All of the others were either in the movie, or were songs from the 80s. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#34SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 8:15pm

I am so baffled with this move to Broadway. I saw the 2nd preview and really wanted to like it but I thought it needed a book and memorable songs which it did not have. I liked Brenock O'Connor and Gus Halper but they just did not have a lot to work with here. 

With Sonya Tayeh as choreographer, I had high expectations but there really isn't any dance or movement that is memorable.  At least with Once we got to see the stomping which contributed to the ambience and feeling of the show. No such luck with Sing Street. So I just left disappointed. I will not pay to see this on Broadway.  

Ironically a few weeks after going to see Sing Street we watched Modern Love on Amazon Prime.  I didn't realize it at first but learned after a few minutes that many of the episodes in the series were written by John Carney.  I found this show to be much more thoughtful and entertaining and forgave Carney for his Sing Street miss at NYTW.  I most especially liked "When the Doorman is Your Main Man" with Once alum Cristin Milioti.

AllThatJazz2
#35SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 10:42pm

Looks like this is in AMEX presale mode right now - does anyone have the date for when regular on sale is? Can't seem to find it, but maybe I'm overlooking it. 

CarmenA3 Profile Photo
CarmenA3
#36SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 10:52pm

Here you go:

American Express® Presale now through January 14

Audience Rewards® Presale begins January 14 at 10am

General on-sale begins January 17 at 10am

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#37SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 10:53pm

AllThatJazz2 said: "Looks like this is in AMEX presale mode right now - does anyone have the date for when regular on sale is? Can't seem to find it, but maybe I'm overlooking it."

The shows official website has all the info you’re looking for! 

AMEX presale now thru Jan 14 at 10am

Audience Rewards presale Jan 14 thru Jan 17

General onsale Jan 17 at 10am 

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#38SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 11:16pm

JPeterman said: "And what’s with holding back every premium aisle seat?? For my dates in June, the first 3 rows are all premium at $300 but they are holding back every aisle seat on each side .... I have never seen that done. If I was going to pay for premium seats I would want aisle seats if it all possible. Are they expecting 6 single individuals to buy all 6 of the aisle seats at a higher price down the road? Weird decision."

Are you looking at the first week of June? If so those are probably being held for Tony voters.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#39SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 11:29pm

Yes that’s exactly when I was looking. How close to the Tony awards can the voters cast their vote? Those dates are literally 0-7 days before the awards?

I also just checked other random dates and the aisle seats are not for sale for a variety of dates before or after the Tony awards all summer long.

Updated On: 1/8/20 at 11:29 PM

chrishuyen
#40SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/8/20 at 11:31pm

JPeterman said: "Yes that’s exactly when I was looking. How close to the Tony awards can the voters cast their vote? Those dates are literally 0-7 days before the awards??"

IIRC votes are cast Friday before the Sunday ceremony (but I could be wrong)

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#41SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/9/20 at 1:34am

chrishuyen said: "JPeterman said: "Yes that’s exactly when I was looking. How close to the Tony awards can the voters cast their vote? Those dates are literally 0-7 days before the awards??"

IIRC votes are cast Friday before the Sunday ceremony (but I could be wrong)
"

You're correct, votes are due at the end of the business day the Fri before the Sun ceremony, although they can cast their votes before then too.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#42SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/9/20 at 2:14am

That is impressive that they can get everything sorted out in the final 48 hours before the ceremony.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#43SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/9/20 at 2:15am

Melissa25 said: "I am so baffled with this move to Broadway."

You're overthinking it. There is no process through which something is determined to have merited a Broadway run. If you have a show, can wrangle investors, and book a theater, then you get to go on Broadway.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#44SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 1/9/20 at 4:38am

True. Shame on me for my naivete expecting any artistic integrity. 

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#45SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 2/21/20 at 2:24pm

I seemed to miss the quiet announcement about Gus Halper joining the cast. I enjoyed him in the show at NYTW and was disappointed he wasn’t initially announced for the transfer. Glad to see he’ll be coming back!

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#46SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 2/21/20 at 2:45pm

GreasedLightning said: "I seemed to miss the quiet announcement about Gus Halper joining the cast. I enjoyed him in the show at NYTW and was disappointed he wasn’t initially announced for the transfer. Glad to see he’ll be coming back! "

He was fantastic. I'm glad he's continuing with the production. 

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#47SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 2/21/20 at 4:23pm

Gus was the best part of the show .... it’s great news he’s continuing with the Broadway production.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#48SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 2/21/20 at 4:25pm

I agree. His character and monologue was what turned this sweet romantic comedy into something with substance.

Updated On: 2/21/20 at 04:25 PM

Hamilfan2
#49SING STREET Will Transfer To Broadway
Posted: 2/21/20 at 4:26pm

GreasedLightning said: "I seemed to miss the quiet announcement about Gus Halper joining the cast. I enjoyed him in the show at NYTW and was disappointed he wasn’t initially announced for the transfer. Glad to see he’ll be coming back! "

Me too!  Wonder what took so long for them to announce him.  It was a quiet announcement so it didn’t do much for them publicity wise (maybe they were hoping it would?).  But it still feels odd to announce your entire full cast less one person and then announce the remaining person a lot later.  Wonder what went on behind the scenes...