pixeltracker

Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House”- Page 11

Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House”

binau Profile Photo
binau
#250Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/16/20 at 2:06pm

Also, what was the deal with the making of book? Was the response “never” or “ever”? Seemed a bit vague to me.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#251Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/16/20 at 2:26pm

Mitch101 said:
"4. I wish they had talked about the audience reaction when the ceiling came down revealing the heavenly staircase. The night I was there (with a song cut during previews called “Somebody Should Have Told Her” about having a period), someone yelled “Betty Buckley, come on down!” As if she was the next contestant on The Price is Right. The audience laughed quite loudly. Did the actors not her this at all? I can’t imagine considering how the audience reacted."

Buckley mentioned multiple times last night that the audience would call out during the show.  So it was addressed.

Mitch101
#252Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/16/20 at 2:59pm

I most definitely read the book.  That is how I learned about the authors being banned from rehearsals, and how much Debbie Allan was responsible for the debacle.  They are quite candid about it in the book.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#253Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/16/20 at 3:20pm

Which book?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

A Director
#254Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/16/20 at 5:24pm

I watched the Carrie Reunion. Bless their little hearts.

The creatives implied except for the Frank Rich review, the reviews were positive to mixed. Nope. Yes, Clive Barnes loved it, but let's go to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S191a99wUc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKEm-bI0rpw

Here's a 1985 NY TIMES story about the show.  https://www.nytimes.com/1985/11/29/theater/broadway-chilling-carrie-in-vengeful-return-as-a-musical.html

Part of the blame for the  flop must go to the creatives. The Margaret/Carrie scenes are opera lite and the high school scenes are musical comedy. The creatives didn't have/don't have the talent to make the show work as a whole.  "If it ain't on the page, it ain't on the stage."

As for the Off-Broadway production, it was directed by a hack.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#255Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/17/20 at 2:43am

I do find it interesting that they love to throw Terry Hands under the bus, because yes while the whole conception and staging of the high school scenes seem misguided, he didn’t write those lyrics, those melodies or arrangements. I do think Michael Gore somewhat hinted at the end they were partly to blame because they didn’t get enough time to work on it, though.

I do still get chills watching that “Eve was weak” clip though, despite listening to that recording probably hundreds of times. It’s like “I Believe” from the Book of Mormon except 1000x more scary and powerful. Charlotte describes Buckley’s performance as the best she has seen on stage, ever.

I find it so thrilling. It’s not just a showcase of Buckley’s virtuosic skill but an important, powerful exposition of the terrible impact of religious beliefs on attitudes and behaviours.

“Eve was weak” is Christian republicans who try to impose their values on secular societies. It’s Christian, Muslim and Jewish people that voted against gay marriage in the recent Australian public vote. It’s Islamic theocracies that punish atheists, gays, and free thinkers. It’s religious extremist terrorists. It’s Christian law makers in Africa who punish gay acts with imprisonment, beating and death.

Updated On: 8/17/20 at 02:43 AM

Owen22
#256Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/18/20 at 11:57am

qolbinau said: "Eve was weak” is Christian republicans who try to impose their values on secular societies. It’s Christian, Muslim and Jewish people that voted against gay marriage in the recent Australian public vote. It’s Islamic theocracies that punish atheists, gays, and free thinkers. It’s religious extremist terrorists. It’s Christian law makers in Africa who punish gay acts with imprisonment, beating and death."

PREACH!!!

Updated On: 8/18/20 at 11:57 AM

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#257Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/22/20 at 8:33pm

As I'm watching tonight's PIPPIN I'm reminded of how often they show clips of obviously bootlegged video recordings. It just seems so cavalier.

Enjoying this episode but I was really expecting it to be about the original 1972 production of PIPPIN.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#258Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/22/20 at 9:35pm

They show them constantly. During the "Carrie" reunion they were all saying "Oh, I have that one". Betty Buckley even knew that her voice was being heard when it was Cook onstage and even when the video switched over to her.

The announcement for the "Pippin" reunion listed the revival cast members.

Just give the world Love.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#259Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/23/20 at 6:35am

It was clearly stated it was the revival cast. I was a bit disappointed Patina wasn't there last night.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#260Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/23/20 at 6:41am

Just like when I saw the show, go figure. 

BCfitasafiddle
#261Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/23/20 at 12:23pm

I also wish Patina was there. It was a great reunion, but she was definitely missed.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#262Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/23/20 at 6:23pm

Anyone else suprised to hear Charlotte say she frequently missed her entrances? Was she bored with the show? Shouldn't she have been fined for this recurring miscue?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#263Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/26/20 at 4:02pm

I forgot how great that production of Pippin was. This was such a fun reunion.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#264Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/27/20 at 11:07am

CATSNYrevival said: "I forgot how great thatproduction of Pippin was. This was such a fun reunion."

The Original cast was stunning. This was one example of when the first round of replacements came in, the "magic" was no longer there and the show feel flat.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#265Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/27/20 at 11:38am

Their "What Makes A Show" concept is great, and I hope they continue to feature behind the scenes people.  But last night's guests could barely explain what they actually do, it was so strange!  Also Seth doesn't know what a House Manager does?  How long has he worked in theater? :I

binau Profile Photo
binau
#266Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/30/20 at 1:34pm

Was there meant to be a next to normal reunion last night? What happened to it? Even when I search google a title says next to normal reunion it links to the sideshow one. Did they cancel it last minute and repurpose since Ripley was still around?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#267Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/30/20 at 1:46pm

Seth said it’s been rescheduled to next month.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#268Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/30/20 at 1:50pm

They said one of the n2n cast members wasn't available due to a workshop, and the reunion is rescheduled to September 15th.

Smokey Joe's will be this Tuesday and Curtains on Wednesday.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#269Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 8/30/20 at 2:42pm

According to Louis Hobson’s Facebook, the reunion has been reschedule to September 15th!

Wayman_Wong
#270Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 9/4/20 at 4:23pm

Stars in the House will host a reunion of ''Flower Drum Song'' tonight (Fri., Sept. 4) at 8 p.m. EST (5 p.m. PST).

It'll include cast members and creatives from the original and revival productions: David Henry Hwang, Alvin Ing, Baayork Lee and Jose Llana.

Plus, there'll be a pretaped performance from Lea Salonga. The reunion also will mark a special reissue of the original cast album as a 2-LP set.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#271Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 9/5/20 at 9:01am

No shows this holiday weekend. Stars In The House will return on Tuesday. Seth says they have more reunions coming up and will also be bringing back some past reunions for a Part 2 series.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#272Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 9/7/20 at 3:11pm

I just watched the Flower Drum Song reunion. I've never read the original libretto. Is it really so bad it needed a total rewrite or was it more the fact the original was simply not written by an Asian American playwright?

mcsquared
#273Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 9/8/20 at 7:17pm

Debating whether to attend Seth's show with Karen Olivo tonight. Are all of them on demand afterwards? How long does concert normally last?

fredric47
#274Seth Rudetsky’s “Stars In The House” Concerts
Posted: 9/12/20 at 1:26pm

I know that Dr. LaPook is straight and married to a woman, but I find him totally attractive even though I don't always understand what he is talking about. Science was my poorest subject in school.

Now Seth and James are the most authentic gay couple on the Internet. I thought that they would be ideal as the stars of a "Funny Girl" takeoff called "Funny Boys," which was also almost one of the titles of the potential flop musicals listed in "The Producers" on Broadway. I was very impressed how quickly their assistant responded to my e-mails to Seth, telling me that her boss and James would have to turn down my idea because another revival of "Funny Girl" is already in the works; and they have their own future projects which they want to do. It was the classiest shoe biz rejection I ever received. Thanks, Seth.