pixeltracker

BANDSTAND will stream online this week!

BANDSTAND will stream online this week!

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#1BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/7/20 at 3:30pm

Show will be priced at $6.99, Stream through playbill

http://filmedonstage.com/news/99-broadway-musical-bandstand-will-stream-online-this-week

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/7/20 at 3:38pm

Curious what else they’ll be streaming. It’d be nice if they did “Allegiance” so I wouldn’t have to pay hundreds for that box set or whatever they put out.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#3BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/7/20 at 5:51pm

Yep, I hope Allegiance is the next one (same producing group, too). Don't think there any other shows waiting to be released, so will be interesting to see what they get next..

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
GrantGrant
#5BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/7/20 at 8:25pm

I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. Right This Way and Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#6BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/7/20 at 9:11pm

How incredibly exciting, loved this dearly.  

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#7BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 11:21am

GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. RightThis Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

Did you get to see it live too? Was wondering why it had such a short run

MollyJeanneMusic
#8BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 11:29am

TaleofTwo said: "GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. RightThis Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

Did you get to seeit live too? Was wondering why it had such a short run
"

It wasn't nominated for many Tony Awards, most notably Best Musical.  It did win Choreography, but you don't really sell tickets with a choreography Tony.  It got a slight push thanks to a great Tony performance and introduction by Jill Biden, but it didn't last long after that, and it closed that September.  That was a really competitive Tony season, too - including Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, Great Comet, and many others.  Corey Cott and Laura Osnes weren't nominated either, just because of how packed the season was.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

hearthemsing22
#9BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 11:52am

TaleofTwo said: "GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. RightThis Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

"

It truly was a beautiful show (I went on opening night, and then several other times before and after that), but it had the misfortune of opening during a stacked season (I'm pretty sure DEH was in the same season). It got lost. 

GrantGrant
#10BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 3:01pm

TaleofTwo said: "GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. Right This Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

"

I live in the Bay Area, so I didn't get to see it live. Though I did visit NYC that March and took some photos of the marquee as my tour bus drove past it. 

GrantGrant
#11BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 3:01pm

TaleofTwo said: "GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. Right This Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

"

I live in the Bay Area, so I didn't get to see it live. Though I did visit NYC that March and took some photos of the marquee as my tour bus drove past it. 

Dolly80
#12BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/8/20 at 10:43pm

So this show was good huh? I found the recording really boring, and the footage of it also looked dull. But may check it out now it’s being made available

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#13BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/9/20 at 1:45am

MollyJeanneMusic said: "TaleofTwo said: "GrantGrant said: "I saw this back when it had their last fathom event and this musical really impressed me. RightThis Wayand Welcome Home (Finale) left me with my jaw on the floor. I never thought I would see this pro-shot again. Can't wait to rewatch it again."

"

It wasn't nominated for many Tony Awards, most notably Best Musical. It did win Choreography, but you don't really sell tickets with a choreography Tony. It got a slight push thanks to a great Tony performance and introduction by Jill Biden, but it didn't last long after that, and it closed that September. That was a really competitive Tony season, too - including Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away, Great Comet, and many others. Corey Cott and Laura Osnes weren't nominated either, just because of how packed the season was.
"

Thanks for the context. Makes sense given the season. Either way, i'm always excited to hear Laura Osnes in anything.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#14BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/9/20 at 2:33am

I know of the late John Simon more by reputation than from reading many of his reviews. But I didn't think that Bandstand, with its well-meant combination of sentiment and swing, would be the type of musical that he would enjoy.

I liked the show enough to see it twice on Broadway and once in the theater, but somehow I never associated the word "droll" with it.

https://pasteboard.co/J2Y5UJl.jpg

artifact11 Profile Photo
artifact11
#15BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/11/20 at 1:47pm

I’m glad they are going to provide extras with cast members, but I really wish they would release a blu ray dvd with the extras for those who would like to own it (or even to buy instead of just renting streaming for a limited period.  Does anyone know if this is being considered?

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#16BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:04pm

artifact11 said: "I’m glad they are going to provide extras with cast members, but I really wish they would release a blu ray dvd with the extras for those who would like to own it (or even to buy instead of just renting streaming for a limited period. Does anyone know if this is being considered?"

I don't think it is being considered. It is just too much money to spend when you can just send over the file to BroadwayHD and make money off of that.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#17BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/11/20 at 5:21pm

Have now seen this show for the first time via this stream and AAH. I LOVED IT. Living far away from Broadway, the number of times I've listened to a cast recording and gleaned hints about a show from various sources, then eventually got to see the show in some production or format and thought "it's nice to finally see this, but... meh." I have wondered before if I'm really a fan of theatre, or if I actually just like the audio experience of storytelling through music, and the visuals etc of the stage aren't so much my thing. This was one of those times that reaffirmed that yes, I really do love this sh*t when it's done well. Corey Cott - what a performance! Not to mention the quadruple, or whatever, threats playing the rest of the band. And yes, GrantGrant, 'Right This Way' and 'Welcome Home (Finale)' were fantastic.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#18BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/12/20 at 11:19pm

Nearly complete lack of interest in the Bandstand streaming, if you judge by the absence of posts on this thread. A little surprising. I thought that there was at least a lot of curiosity. 

grumpyoptimist
#19BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/12/20 at 11:46pm

Watching now.  The fact that neither Osnes nor Altomare got Tony nominated in 2017 is something that befuddles me to this day.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#20BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 12:10am

OlBlueEyes said: "Nearly complete lack of interest in the Bandstand streaming, if you judge by the absence of posts on this thread. A little surprising. I thought that there was at least a lot of curiosity."

It really is just not a good show. That was the consensus among critics/audiences then, not sure why it’d be different now. I saw it towards the end of its run and truly was just blown away by how misguided it was. The plot being about nothing other than veterans wanting a....train ticket? That they think should be included when you’re in the army? Their anger and desperation for that ONE thing was so off-putting to me, it blocked me from looking beyond the mediocre music/book writing and fine performances. The whole show attempts to be emotionally manipulative and I (and apparently many) just weren’t here for it. 

barcelona20
#21BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 12:15am

VotePeron said: "OlBlueEyes said: "Nearly complete lack of interest in the Bandstand streaming, if you judge by the absence of posts on this thread. A little surprising. I thought that there was at least a lot of curiosity."

It really is just not a good show. That was the consensus among critics/audiences then, not sure why it’d be different now. I saw it towards the end of its run and truly was just blown away by how misguided it was. The plot being about nothing other than veterans wanting a....train ticket? That they think should be included when you’re in the army? Their anger and desperation for that ONE thing was so off-putting to me, it blockedme from looking beyond the mediocre music/book writing and fine performances. The whole show attempts to be emotionally manipulative and I (and apparently many) just weren’t here for it.
"

If you think the entire plot was about the veterans wanting a "train ticket", then clearly you need to watch it again.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#22BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 12:48am

Yep, clearly all the main themes went over that dude's head. If anyone thinks their numbers are based on this thread, they are sorely mistaken. Most fans of Corey Cott are young, and do not post on this website. Laura and Corey have hundreds of comments from fans about how much they love it, and my friend who works at Playbill said it's doing really well. Not like "Stranger Things" well, but pretty great for Playbill. 

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#23BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 9:38am

Sutton Ross said: "Yep, clearly all the main themes went over that dude's head. If anyone thinks their numbers are based on this thread, they are sorely mistaken. Most fans of Corey Cott are young, and do not post on this website. Laura and Corey have hundreds of comments from fans about how much they love it, and my friend who works at Playbill said it's doing really well. Not like "Stranger Things" well, but pretty great for Playbill."

Really happy to hear it's doing well! Wondering what other shows they're planning for this series.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#24BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 11:16am

If Playbill says that it's doing well, then that's good news. 

The show was about WW II veterans wanting to have train tickets purchased for them?

No, the show was about the veterans of the Second World War, and also addressing Vietnam by extension, who returned to the country with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Each member of the band exhibited different symptoms from PTSD. The music and the comradery saved them. 

I have a little experience with this from volunteering in a homeless shelter in the pretty expensive village of Port Jefferson on Long Island's North Shore. There was a colony of five or six Vietnam Vets (this was early 90s.) who were living on the streets and were hopeless alcoholics and nobody cared. A few times I had to drive to the hospital one of them who had the DTs from alcohol withdrawal. 

It was a noble goal of Bandstand although the book received the most criticism. Everyone loved Andy's dancing and the cast. Some thought the somber theme didn't mix well with the exuberant dance numbers. (If you don't like swing music and dance, you probably wouldn't be a big fan of Bandstand.)

The cast was very disappointed with the short run, but in return they received something very few other shows get: all their work preserved on a high quality film. And veterans and their families love the theme and the attention.

I had been following the Bandstand Tour and found that they show receives the warmest receptions and best reviews in areas of the country where they still wave the flag and take Veterans' Day very seriously. Four or five performances in Jacksonville, FL drew four good to rave reviews. On the other hand the worst review came from the L.A. Times and the Washington Post. Cities too busy for veteran attention. The tour played a week in Washington and the Post review was genuinely mixed. I found three other reviews good to very good.

So unlike the show, the film of the show will be available all around the country, and will probably attract attention from veterans' groups, and may do very well.

Pauly3
#25BANDSTAND will stream online this week!
Posted: 4/13/20 at 7:27pm

Anyone know if there is a compatible app available to stream Bandstand (and other Playbill offerings) on streaming devices, such as a Roku?