Shut down until June 7

Theatrefanboy1
#200Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 7:25pm

With all these comments about even suggesting theatres will remain closed until into 2021/22. Would not all shows have to also be completely recast. Could one really expect an unemployed theatre worker to wait that long for something

mar6411
#201Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 8:30pm

Sutton Ross said: "He didn't write that comment.

I think it's weird that people don't realize that moderate Democrats, much like moderate Republicans, exist in the world.
"

You are so absolutely correct to point out my grievous error.  So let me make things clear since it was apparently confusing..

Yankeefan7 said:  With all due respect Kad, I am not going to go there with you on this board that is basically 99% liberal Democrat and get trashed.

And Kad responded: What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat? 

And then yankeefan7 said: I will let others on this board answer that question.

There are moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans.  But I maintain that my comment still stands as written. 

But thanks again!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#202Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 8:37pm

So crazy to see that video in Denver. It is my home. (I consider it home since I lived there for 20 years and only moved because I had to). Just not the same place and it saddens me.

Just give the world Love.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#203Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 8:39pm

Nope, still wrong, Kad didn't say that. Gosh, this is apparently really confusing for you, though. Thanks, again!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#204Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:03pm

@mar6411

I said it "What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat?"

Not sure why Sutton Ross couldn't just tell you that.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Sutton Ross
#205Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:19pm

I shouldn't have to tell someone something so incredibly obvious, the point was Kad didn't say it.

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 09:19 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#206Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:24pm

" You are so absolutely correct to point out my grievous error.  So let me make things clear since it was apparently confusing..

Yankeefan7 said:  With all due respect Kad, I am not going to go there with you on this board that is basically 99% liberal Democrat and get trashed.

And Kad responded: What is the difference between being a Democrat and a liberal Democrat? 

And then yankeefan7 said: I will let others on this board answer that question. "

Go back and read again the replies. Kad responded to my post above by saying  "Uh Huh". Huss417 was the one who asked "What is the difference between a Democrat and a liberal Democrat".

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 09:24 PM

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#207Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:38pm

" He didn't write that comment.

I think it's weird that people don't realize that moderate Democrats, much like moderate Republicans, exist in the world.  "

Thanks for trying to clarify to poster what I said. I tried also to straighten it out for the poster. Yes, there are moderates in both parties. I did not want to answer for Democrats where they draw the line between moderate and progressive.

Sutton Ross
#208Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:45pm

No problem, I think there are many kinds of Democrats. The people who just assume all Dems are insanely liberal are pretty narrow minded. 

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#209Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:50pm

I am a Moderate Democrat.  But first....and always....I am a Democrat

Non sibi sed patriae

BWAY Baby2
#210Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 9:58pm

I live in Atlanta, GA- and our governor just opened all gyms, restaurants and movie theaters, etc. as of Friday- THIS Friday. I hope his family and all of the Trumpsters in GA are the guinea pigs for this dangerous and irresponsible move. We have not had 14 days of decreasing numbers of virus cases- so, without the guidance of health care professionals, we are getting back to life as we knew it. Good luck to those dumb enough to rush back to normalcy- and end up rushing to the nearest ventilator.

Sutton Ross
#211Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:05pm

I was incredibly shocked when I read that. Those protesters in Kentucky contributed to the huge spike in Covid numbers in their state, within two days of them marching. Morons. Honestly, I think within a week of opening back up, Georgia will see a huge spike as well. Very disturbing. 

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#212Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:26pm

Mr Roxy said: "So if it permanently damaged the economy and meant the permanent death of Broadway you would be OK with it?"

Oh, c'mon now. You make a big show of how you're "retired" (yadda, yadda, yadda...) ...As if you and your wife are aged enough to not be affected.

Given your age (which is probably close to mine), you should realize that "OK with it" isn't a factor.

Need is more important than want under these circumstances.

It doesn't matter if any of us are "OK" with the circumstances. For the good of all, we need to follow CDC guidelines.

The economy will NOT be "permanently" damaged. Lengthy? Possibly. "Permanently?" No. Will Broadway be PERMANENTLY closed?

Don't be ridiculous. Time and patience will see us through, as has been historically true under previous circumstances. For Pete's sake; look at how resilient and creative the theater community has been at keeping Broadway alive thus far.

As someone who has the benefit of age, YOU DISGRACE THOSE OF US ON PAR WITH YOU.

'Ya know what Mr Roxy? If you and your spouse TRULY care about Broadway - contribute part of your pension to the Broadway employees who are currently are out of work and need your support.

If you CAN'T do that, then KEEP YOUR BIG, INSIGNIFICANT (by your own admission) TRAP SHUT.

Updated On: 4/20/20 at 11:26 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#213Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/20/20 at 11:31pm

It took just a matter of days to shut down New York City, once the coronavirus took hold. Restarting it will take much, much longer.

And a reopened Broadway could be a changed experience, said Charlotte St. Martin, the president of the Broadway League, a trade organization. “We could see masks. We could see certificates of Covid-19-free status,” Ms. St. Martin said. “We could see fewer shows.”Broadway leaders say that even if theaters require attendees to wear protective devices like masks, it seems likely that producers will stage fewer shows.https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/nyregion/new-york-economy-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

BWAY Baby2
#214Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 12:03am

That is probably true Robbie2- but that is the way this cookie is crumbling. We can't sit around and whine about it. The pandemic is affecting everyone- here and abroad- and we need to deal with that. Things will change- that much is certain. Safety and health always come first- or at least it should. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#215Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 12:16am

When they say “fewer shows” do they mean fewer productions or performances?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#216Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 12:22am

productions

what purpose would be served by fewer performances?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#217Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 12:37am

Call_me_jorge said: "When they say “fewer shows” do they mean fewer productions or performances?"

huh Jorge...fewer productions = fewer shows

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#218Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 9:35am

" Mr Roxy said: "So if it permanently damaged the economy and meant the permanent death of Broadway you would be OK with it?"

Oh, c'mon now. You make a big show of how you're "retired" (yadda, yadda, yadda...) ...As if you and your wife are aged enough to not be affected."

Mr. Roxy has stated several times he can no longer attend Broadway shows because he can't afford them. Due to that, Broadway closing would not affect him or his wife.

" The economy will NOT be "permanently" damaged. Lengthy? Possibly. "Permanently?" No. Will Broadway be PERMANENTLY closed?

Don't be ridiculous. Time and patience will see us through, as has been historically true under previous circumstances. For Pete's sake; look at how resilient and creative the theater community has been at keeping Broadway alive thus far.

As someone who has the benefit of age, YOU DISGRACE THOSE OF US ON PAR WITH YOU. "

Actually, you make older people look bad by using all caps which is considered hollering and rude.

saxpower
#219Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 9:28pm

A few thoughts....

I certainly do not agree with the "rescuing the economy" is more important than health and safety argument we are hearing from some people in the news.  That said, remember that as people lose jobs (Broadway and otherwise), they also tend to lose their health insurance. If the economy gets bad enough, and there are enough people without jobs/insurance the whole health care system could end up even more overloaded.  People without insurance end up having to use ER's/clinics as their primary doctors- so we have more people in ERs/clinics with things that are not really "emergencies" but which need treatment  before they BECOME an emergency- ending up potentially exposing more people to the virus/creating a vicuous cycle.  

Obviously, we are not at that point yet, and again, I'm not saying to put the economy first.   We just need to look at the whole picture-we can't necessarily, for example, wait for there to be no cases for a month or two before reopening things.  The BEST scenario is to get some kind of non-political panel with economists, health care experts, etc to come up with what makes the sense in the long term.  Of course, the likelihood of that happening in today's environment is low. 

I think the "things will be different forever" idea is unrealistic.  First, the public has a short attention span.  Once things are more under control, folks won't be thinking primarily of this.  Second, unless we want to change very part of society, we'll need to get back to sitting next to each other, allowing more people into stores, etc.  Yes, even if we eradicate this virus, others might come around- but there are plenty of risks we take every day.   At some point, we will sit in theaters/concert halls again.   If we can't do that, we'll need to build many more schools (so the kids can be far enough apart), have more school buses and public transportation (so riders can be far enough away from each other), stop having orchestras (no way to make it work sitting at such a distance apart), not allow proms/dances again, etc. 

Anyway...now waiting to be to get roasted.....

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#220Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/21/20 at 10:35pm

saxpower said: "A few thoughts....

I certainly do not agree with the "rescuing the economy" is more important than health and safety argument we are hearing from some people in the news. That said, remember that as people lose jobs (Broadway and otherwise), they also tend to lose their health insurance. If the economy gets bad enough, and there are enough people without jobs/insurance the whole health care system could end up even more overloaded. People without insurance end up having to use ER's/clinics as their primary doctors- so we have more people in ERs/clinics with things that are not really "emergencies" but which need treatment before they BECOME an emergency- ending up potentially exposing more people to the virus/creating a vicuous cycle.

Obviously, we are not at that point yet, and again, I'm not saying to put the economy first. We just need to look at the whole picture-we can't necessarily, for example, wait for there to be no cases for a month or two before reopening things. The BEST scenario is to get some kind of non-political panel with economists, health care experts, etc to come up with what makes the sense in the long term. Of course, the likelihood of that happening in today's environment is low.

I think the "things will be different forever" idea is unrealistic. First, the public has a short attention span. Once things are more under control, folks won't be thinking primarily of this. Second, unless we want to change very part of society, we'll need to get back to sitting next to each other, allowing more people into stores, etc. Yes, even if we eradicate this virus, others might come around- but there are plenty of risks we take every day. At some point, we will sit in theaters/concert halls again. If we can't do that, we'll need to build many more schools (so the kids can be far enough apart), have more school buses and public transportation (so riders can be far enough away from each other), stop having orchestras (no way to make it work sitting at such a distance apart), not allow proms/dances again, etc.

Anyway...now waiting to be to get roasted.....
"

Agreed with everything, especially the third paragraph. Fauci himself has said in a couple years that COVID will just be part of our public health awareness each season like the flu is. Once there is a vaccine and/or effective treatment, life will get back to normal and people will start doing almost everything if not everything they did before. I realize for some it may take longer due to economic realities, but it will get there.

JennH
#221Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/22/20 at 10:16am

What saxpower said. I've said it too often lately, but one of the biggest, if not the ONLY, reason the U.S. is in this "economy or public health" predicament is because of our inept leadership that could have taken this seriously from day 1 but didn't. But of course we'd be complaining about measures that were too aggressive in that scenario as well...as they say, coulda, shoulda, woulda or hindsight is 20/20. 

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#222Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/22/20 at 10:24am

What reality is Hugh Jackman living in?

Broadway61004
#223Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/22/20 at 10:38am

SmoothLover said: "What reality is Hugh Jackman living in?"

Not sure what's unrealistic about it still starting in September at this current moment (of course, this is a quickly-changing situation, but right now, the Broadway League, the mayor's office and many others are estimating we could see a return to sporting events, concerts, shows by September or October).  And it's not as though they couldn't rehearse the show outside of New York, where things are going to get back to normal a lot sooner.  Probably more realistic that they'll delay the start of previews by about a month, but certainly right now it seems entirely plausible they could still be up and running in September.

Fosse76
#224Shut down until June 7
Posted: 4/22/20 at 10:45am

Robbie2 said: "It took just a matter of days to shut down New York City, once the coronavirus took hold. Restarting it will take much, much longer.

And a reopened Broadway could be a changed experience, said Charlotte St. Martin, the president of the Broadway League, a trade organization. “We could see masks. We could see certificates of Covid-19-free status,” Ms. St. Martin said. “We could see fewer shows.”Broadway leaders say that even if theaters require attendees to wear protective devices like masks, it seems likely that producers will stage fewer shows.https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/nyregion/new-york-economy-coronavirus.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage
"

I can't imagine that requiring certificates of COVID-19-free status wouldn't be challenged in court. Plus it would be fruitles unless everyone is being tested every single day. Of course, if testing were more widely available (a failure on the part of the administration), we wouldn't be in this scenario. Things will eventually return to normal, it's just a matter of time.