pixeltracker

Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD

Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 12:03am

I’m so confused. So they want to start a new subscription service immediately and “hope” to have content in the future to beat BroadwayHD?

Don’t get me wrong I think BwayHD is, for the most part a waste of money since everything there can pretty much be found elsewhere and they never were able to live up to their initial promise of filming broadway shows, besides two roundabout productions. But this just seems like ill timing for something like this.

Alex Kulak2
#3Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 12:18am

I really hope we'll see some new filmed content of New York productions. I get that the unions are standing in the way of filming most Broadway productions, but are the rules more lax for off-Broadway?

The Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago is streaming their production of Fun Home, and I'm pretty sure they had Equity actors in that production.

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
#4Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 12:28am

Alex Kulak2 said: "I really hope we'll see some new filmed content of New York productions. I get that the unions are standing in the way of filming most Broadway productions, but are the rules more lax for off-Broadway?

The Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago is streaming their production of Fun Home, and I'm pretty sure they had Equity actors in that production.
"

I would imagine that there would have to be some type of pre-existing agreement between the producers and everyone entity involved. I'm thinking like Lincoln Center but in a commercial environment. 

I would think the same forces would be at play with any union house in NYC.

zainmax
#5Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:19am

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m so confused. So they want to start a new subscription service immediately and “hope” to have content in the future to beat BroadwayHD?

Don’t get me wrong I think BwayHD is, for the most part a waste of money since everything there can pretty much be found elsewhere and they never were able to live up to their initial promise of filming broadway shows, besides two roundabout productions. But this just seems like ill timing for something like this.
"

I think that they’re cashing in on COVID with people missing theatre stuff.

Not sure why BHD stopped filming stuff, although they never got the cream of the crop on Bway.

zainmax
#6Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:20am

latitudex1 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "I really hope we'll see some new filmed content of New York productions. I get that the unions are standing in the way of filming most Broadway productions, but are the rules more lax for off-Broadway?

"

I would imagine that there would have to be some type of pre-existing agreement between the producers and everyone entity involved. I'm thinking like Lincoln Center but in a commercial environment.

I would think the same forces would be at play with any union house in NYC.
"

Agree. Is it the $$$ preventing more shows?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:38am

Still bummed BroadwayHD struck whatever agreement they did with Roundabout and filmed She Loves Me and Holiday Inn but not Cabaret.

zainmax
#8Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:55am

CATSNYrevival said: "Still bummed BroadwayHD struck whatever agreement they did with Roundabout and filmed She Loves Me and Holiday Inn but not Cabaret."

Different years, though???

Also, was Cabaret ever professionally recorded at Donmar? I’ve definitely watched something before!

Pernigraniline
#9Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 2:34am

It was, for the BBC. A prototype of the Broadway production.

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#10Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 3:58am

BroadwayHD did film major musicals recently such as Kinky Boots. Sure, it was in the West End, but it's still the same show.

Also, "Broadway on Demand" sounds like a fast cash grab for this pandemic. Where were these producers before this crisis? They definitely won't have any Broadway or West End shows to offer that BroadwayHD doesn't, it seems they're currently collecting international productions to get to the number 100 and then put "something" up there to get your $8. And obviously they can't film anything now. Just some greedy producers.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#11Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 9:58am

Pernigraniline said: "It was, for the BBC. A prototype of the Broadway production."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOs82ubFyFQ

zainmax
#12Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:28pm

Shooting in the West End is cheaper.

Not sure when this Broadway on Demand thing started, but I don’t think that you can make a platform overnight.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#13Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 1:40pm

zainmax said: "CATSNYrevival said: "Still bummed BroadwayHD struck whatever agreement they did with Roundabout and filmed She Loves Me and Holiday Inn but not Cabaret."

Different years, though???

Also, was Cabaret ever professionally recorded at Donmar? I’ve definitely watched something before!
"

It was but it was a completely different interpretation.  Rob Marshall choreographed the Broadway incarnation, which completely changed the production that was initiated at Donmar.  The cabaret table setting/environment is about the only concept shared.  

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#14Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 2:17pm

"The cabaret table setting/environment is about the only concept shared. "

This isn't true at all. I don't know how any one who saw both could say so. Obviously the video has been edited quite a bit. And they are VERY different, obviously, but there are many, many, many similarities. Alan Cumming's performance, down to specific line deliveries is almost identical. The set, costumes, the final reveal (both the back wall and his costume), and the concept for many of the musical numbers are all very similar... almost like a regional copy of a broadway production actually. So. They're very different but the notion they don't resemble each other closely isn't accurate.     

Jesus saves. I spend.
Updated On: 4/15/20 at 02:17 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#16Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 2:31pm

Hahaha. Sorry. Said with love! That probably sounded jerkier than I meant it. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

zainmax
#17Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 2:43pm

What are the main differences? It’s been a while since I saw either version.

trpguyy
#18Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 2:57pm

I’d like to point out that unions are not “in the way” of commercially filming and releasing Broadway shows. The contracts are already in place to do this. Producers can do this if they pay for it. Whether or not it’s financially viable is as much (or as little) the fault of the potential audience as it is the unions’.

Updated On: 4/15/20 at 02:57 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#19Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/15/20 at 3:15pm

"What are the main differences? It’s been a while since I saw either version."

I didn't see the Donmar production, just the version for television. That version is pretty edited and excludes some songs. I'm not sure if that was also the case of the Donmar version or if it was just for television. But. Right off the bat... you've got no Mein Herr, no Money, and no Maybe This Time (I think?)... and perhaps others I'm not thinking of. 

As Brody points out, Rob Marshall brought a LOT of glitz and glam by the way of more dynamic and musical staging. And I'd imagine a larger budget helped too. Costume and set have a more clear and defined vision... and feel more Broadway. So. The whole thing has a lot more pizzaz on Broadway. Even though it retained a lot of conceptual darkness. 

The Emcee's role was larger on Broadway and a little more ambiguous/interesting. Not just in interpretation but also in staging and better adlibs/script. 

The end is quite different. The text of the Donmar is very similar to the traditional ending. The Broadway text removed almost all the characters little monologues. At Donmar, the Emcee is playful up until the very last reveal. On Broadway he seemed to defeated. Again... that varied with interpretation. The staging, though similar, is not as stark as it was on Broadway. There's still an orchestra. The reveal of the back wall is not as dramatic as it was on Broadway. At Donmar, the front wall sort of falls forward. On Broadway it felt like the whole set was flown out.  

Finally. The interpretation of Sally is quite different. Jane Harrocks is aggressively angry and a little out of her mind. Sally on Broadway seemed to have given up a long time ago. Obviously that varied given the actress in the role... but most of them seemed to be drugged out, in mourning, or both. Jane Harrocks seems like she's going to attack the audience.   

This is my opinion and my memories. I'm sure smarter people have more to add! 

Jesus saves. I spend.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#20Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 9:25am

I find broadwayhd to be rather hit or miss. I was REALLY hoping that they’d film Kiss Me Kate, which obviously did not happen, there are some notable older shows missing from their catalog and a lot of their “new” content is from the 70’s. However, there is a small trickle of West End musicals that are great fun, and exclusive (Toxic Avenger and Ruthless come to mind) that keep me from cancelling my subscription.

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

RWPrincess
#21Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 2:54pm

There has been so much free (PBS) or low cost (Bandstand) Broadway content available since all this started.  Plus the large streaming services all have some type of Broadway related content as well.

zainmax
#22Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 3:47pm

jonartdesigns said: "I find broadwayhd to be rather hit or miss. I was REALLY hoping that they’d film Kiss Me Kate, which obviously did not happen, there are some notable older shows missing from their catalog and a lot of their “new” content is from the 70’s. However, there is a small trickle of West End musicals that are great fun, and exclusive (Toxic Avenger and Ruthless come to mind) that keep me from cancelling my subscription. "

I would have loved KMK, but they aren’t going any Bway shows since Holiday INN

zainmax
#23Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 3:48pm

RWPrincess said: "There has been so much free (PBS) or low cost (Bandstand) Broadway content available since all this started. Plus the large streaming services all have some type of Broadway related content as well."

BHD wasn’t the first. Remember Jekyll & Hyde, and then Rent & Memphis?

Jarethan
#24Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 5:07pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I’m so confused. So they want to start a new subscription service immediately and “hope” to have content in the future to beat BroadwayHD?

"

I agree.  I cancelled it after one month, on e I realized how small and tired the inventory was; the ones that most appealed to me were pretty easy to see without subscribing.  I am amazed it is still open for business, unless It is really cheap to operate

LegallyBroadway2
#25Broadway Execs Plots New Platform to Challenge BroadwayHD
Posted: 4/16/20 at 6:54pm

Oh great! Another service where I can watch Joseph and the concert version of Les Mis.

How exciting.