pixeltracker

ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023

ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 7/29/20 at 3:56pm

In fall 2021, A.C.T. will present the world premiere of the pre-Broadway musical, Soul Train (September 24-October 31, 2021), based on the iconic television show that brought Black music, dance, and style into every living room in America. In 1971, at a time of revolutionary cultural change, Black entrepreneur and visionary Don Cornelius created Soul Train. For the next four decades, he wrote, hosted, produced, and owned the series-turning it into a cultural institution, and the longest-running show on US television. Inspired by the series and Cornelius's personal journey, Soul Train is the brand new, Broadway-bound musical featuring an acclaimed creative team, including 2019 Tony Award-nominated and MacArthur Genius Grant-winning playwright Dominique Morisseau (Ain't Too Proud; The Detroit Project), 2019 Tony Award nominee Camille A. Brown (A.C.T.'s Toni Stone; Tony Award-winning revival of Once on This Island) as choreographer, and the Apollo Theater's Kamilah Forbes (upcoming HBO adaptation of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Between the World and Me; By The Way, Meet Vera Stark) as director.

Elegant, determined, and complicated, Cornelius set trends for 40 years, and launched the careers of artists who created the soundtracks for generations-from Tina Turner, to Whitney Houston, to the Jackson 5. He also introduced dancers such as Rosie Perez and Jody Watley, whose attitude, steps, and style continue to influence the world today. The musical is produced by Tony Award-nominee Matthew Weaver (Rock of Ages), Jeffrey Tick (former owner of Broadway's Helen Hayes Theater), and Richard Gay (5Pack Entertainment founder, and former EVP of Viacom's Music Networks & BET Networks). Serving as executive producers are: four-time Grammy Award-winning artist and author of Soul Train: The Music, Dance and Style of a Generation Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson; Don Cornelius's son Tony Cornelius; Emmy Award nominated CSI creator Anthony E. Zuiker; Live Nation Urban president Shawn Gee, and Broadway veteran Devin Keudell (Tina: The Tina Turner Musical). Performances of Soul Train will take place at A.C.T.'s Geary Theater.

Says MacKinnon: "Choreographer Camille A. Brown is one of my most cherished collaborators. I cannot wait to see what she and the rest of this team of world-class thrilling artists bring. I love a musical that lets performers surprise even themselves. We are charged with creating a safe and brave Black space in the Geary so that this story about a brave Black space can soar. I cannot wait to be in the room."

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/American-Conservatory-Theater-Announces-Season-Lineup-Including-the-World-Premiere-of-SOUL-TRAIN-and-More-20200729

Updated On: 4/15/22 at 03:56 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#2ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/29/20 at 6:00pm

As much as I adore Dominique Morisseau - she couldn't save Ain't Too Proud, and I'm not hopeful that she can save this. Seems like it's going to be yet another hollow jukebox musical. I like Camille Brown's work, and I enjoyed Forbes' work on the "By The Way, Meet Vera Stark." It's a strong team of artists, but unless the producers actually let the artists have enough creative control to do something interesting, and not shove them into the Jukebox template, then why even bother hiring talented artists? 

Also, ACT has not had the best track record with "pre-Broadway" tryouts. I put "pre-Broadway" in quotes because I actually don't think they've had a single Broadway transfer in decades, if ever. And they rarely even get the tryouts in the first place - the regional defaults tend to be Berkeley Rep, The Curran, or SHN/BSF.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of 2 "Pre-Broadway tryouts" to have played at ACT in recent memory: "Tales of the City" and "A Walk on the Moon" - both seemingly dead in the water. 

Glad ACT is getting The Headlands. I loved that play, and it should be seen in SF. 

SouthernCakes
#3ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/30/20 at 7:06pm

This doesn’t sound great but it’s not my money...

SouthernCakes
#4ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/30/20 at 7:06pm

This doesn’t sound great but it’s not my money...

ArtMan
#5ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/30/20 at 7:54pm

Where is the drama to support the book for this show? Act 1 showstopper .....the creation of the Soul Train line. It is just an excuse to showcase the songs during the show's run.  I would never go see this.  But I hope they feature Cheryl Song.  She was the really pretty Asian dancer with the really long straight black hair.  When she danced, she would work that hair.  Whenever I watched Soul Train, I would look forward to her on the show.

bear88
#6ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/31/20 at 2:05am

JBroadway said: "As much as I adore Dominique Morisseau - she couldn't save Ain't Too Proud, and I'm not hopeful that she can save this. Seems like it's going to be yet another hollow jukebox musical. I like Camille Brown's work, and I enjoyed Forbes' work on the "By The Way, Meet Vera Stark."It's a strongteam of artists, but unless the producers actually let the artists have enough creative control to do something interesting, and not shove them into the Jukebox template, then why even bother hiring talented artists?

Also, ACT has not had the best track record with "pre-Broadway" tryouts. I put "pre-Broadway" in quotes because I actually don't think they've had a single Broadway transfer in decades, if ever. And they rarely even get the tryouts in the first place - the regional defaults tend to be Berkeley Rep, The Curran, or SHN/BSF.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can only think of 2 "Pre-Broadway tryouts" to have played at ACT in recent memory: "Tales of the City" and "A Walk on the Moon" - both seemingly dead in the water.

Glad ACT is getting The Headlands. I loved that play, and it should be seen in SF.
"

As with all of these announcements, I just shake my head about anything before the fall of 2021. Those probably get cancelled, and even fall of 2021 is optimistic even though San Francisco has done well keeping COVID-19 under control.

Soul Train looks like an attempt to find a show with Black creatives that can more easily find an audience because it's a jukebox. Ain't Too Proud started at the Berkeley Rep and sold out its entire run, so a musical that can be promoted in similar fashion will probably do pretty well unless it's terrible or the coronavirus keeps people away. My cautious hope is that Dominique Morrisseau, having proven she can write a commercially successful Broadway musical, will have a little more latitude to write a book that isn't just filler between the songs. It's not the worst idea I've ever heard, as a commercial venture, although I hope it's not just standard jukebox fare.

ACT has a relatively new artistic director, Pam MacKinnon, who probably wouldn't mind a hit, pre-Broadway musical to draw audiences. You're right that most SF-area tryouts start elsewhere, especially the Berkeley Rep or the Curran. But the Curran is occupied with Harry Potter for the foreseeable future, whenever "the future" of SF-area theater returns. 

My biggest disappointment is that Poor Yella Rednecks, the sequel to Vietgone, which had been scheduled to premiere at the ACT's Geary Theater this spring, has apparently disappeared for the time being. But given all the uncertainties, that's probably OK. I strongly suspect it will be back in San Francisco, as Vietgone was such a nice hit for ACT that the sequel was moved to the larger Geary.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#7ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 7/31/20 at 8:43pm

I want live theatre to return , but not another jukebox musical. If this were the only thing open, I still wouldn't go.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#8ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 8/2/20 at 11:54am

Don't know if this is the same project or people involved (I have a feeling it isn't), but I went to a presentation for a Soul Train Musical in NYC somewhere around 2013. I know the idea has been kicking around for years.

Just give the world Love.

SisterGeorge
#9ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 8/2/20 at 1:37pm

JBroadway said: "Also, ACT has not had the best track record with "pre-Broadway" tryouts. I put "pre-Broadway" in quotes because I actually don't think they've had a single Broadway transfer in decades, if ever. And they rarely even get the tryouts in thefirst place - the regional defaults tend to be Berkeley Rep, The Curran, or SHN/BSF.

"

I can think of one: "High Society" starring Melissa Errico and a big-name supporting cast premiered at ACT in the fall of 1997 in pretty good shape ("...a world-premiere musical loaded with talent and driven by terrific theatrical invention." SF Chronicle), but was ruined by six months of unnecessary tinkering before opening on Broadway to disappointing reviews, audience indifference. and the most baffling poster art I can remember.

Sister George

jacobsnchz14
#10ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 4/15/22 at 1:17pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Pre-Broadway-SOUL-TRAIN-THE-HEADLANDS-More-Announced-for-American-Conservatory-Theater-202223-Season-20220415

A.C.T. will close its 2022/23 season with the world premiere of the pre-Broadway musical, Soul Train (August 25-October 1, 2023). Get ready for "the hippest trip in America" with the world premiere of Soul Train, the Broadway-bound musical based on the iconic TV show that brought Black music, dance, and style into every living room in America. Journey back to 1971 Chicago, when Black entrepreneur and radio DJ Don Cornelius transformed the pop culture landscape by recognizing the lack of Black musical artists on television. Within a year, his local dance show went national and became one of the longest running shows in television history. Elegant, determined, and complicated, Cornelius set trends for nearly 40 years by giving a stage-and a camera-to the artists who created the soundtrack of multiple generations, and to the dancers, including Rosie Perez and Jody Watley, who became superstars.

Updated On: 4/15/22 at 01:17 PM

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#11ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 4/15/22 at 2:05pm

Fall 2023!? jfc they keep postponing and canceling everything. clearly there is some kind of train wreck (no pun intended) going on behind the scenes.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#12ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 4/15/22 at 2:38pm

F I N A L L Y.

As long as it's not Motown The Musical 2.0

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#13ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2021
Posted: 4/15/22 at 3:15pm

I feel terrible for my poor Mom who is an ACT subscriber and was super excited for both Lehman Trilogy and this, but both are now canceled or delayed. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#15ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 3/21/23 at 4:54pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Broadway-Aimed-HIPPEST-TRIP-THE-SOUL-TRAIN-MUSICAL-More-Set-for-ACT-202324-Season-20230321"

oooo! A name change! 

very solid season overall from ACT! I really hope they can finally get Lehman in! I know my Mom is DYING to see it!

Crossing my fingers nothing goes wrong this time with either Hippest Trip or Lehman!

bear88
#16ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 2:11am

The dates for the renamed Soul Train musical haven't changed. It's just part of the 2023-24 season now. From the looks of the schedule, they're leaving room for extensions, which the Berkeley Rep often does with shows that its backers hope will find their way to Broadway.

Ain't Too Proud was a big hit at the Berkeley Rep. I'm sure the ACT folks are hoping for the same with this one.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 2:13am

Still surprised Aint Too Proud crashed and burned on Bway. It was doing so well. 

bear88
#18ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 2:23am

My Ain’t Too Proud theory, which may be totally wrong, is that the show was a casualty of the pandemic. It wasn’t going to last forever (the book was by-the-numbers biopic stuff) but the choreography was a lot of fun.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#19ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 3/22/23 at 5:18am

RippedMan said: "Still surprised Aint Too Proud crashed and burned on Bway. It was doing so well."

"Crashed and burned" feels like revisionist history. The show was successful for almost a year pre-pandemic. It never made less than $1 million a week (and was regularly over $1.5 million) between 3/19/19 and 3/1/20 and never made less than $800 thousand in a full week during it's whole pre-pandemic run. 

And, re:bear88, I don't think it's really a theory to say it was a pandemic casualty, it's pretty clearly what it was. When it re-opened after pandemic, it was doing ok. It was never bellow $650k in a full week, but also never over $1 million. Then it got totally wrecked by Omicron. I think it's very likely that the producers saw that it had never returned to pre-pandemic numbers, lost a **** ton of money due to Omicron, and were looking toward a winter that would be brutal WITHOUT any more shutdowns, but still had the potential for them. 

Almost the exact same story at Jagged Little Pill and To Kill a Mockingbird. 

bear88
#20ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 6/5/23 at 3:16am

I’m seeing Hippest Trip on Labor Day weekend, going in with tempered expectations but the cautious hope that the creatives will get to tell a story instead of checking the boxes of a jukebox musical.

This is the sort of musical I’m happy to see in an out-of-town tryout for $50 a ticket, especially because my wife and daughter tend to enjoy these sorts of shows. It is one of the last nights of previews, though that is obviously less important in out-of-town tryouts. I’ll look on the bright side: Worst case, I should see some good choreography and solid performances in what should be a fun show. 

Updated On: 6/5/23 at 03:16 AM

GrecLivminyordamidro
#21ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 6/5/23 at 4:20pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Pre-Broadway-SOUL-TRAIN-THE-HEADLANDS-More-Announced-for-American-Conservatory-Theater-202223-Season-20220415page

A.C.T. will close its 2022/23 season with the world premiere of the pre-Broadway musical, Soul Train (August 25-October 1, 2023). Get ready for "the hippest trip in America" with the world premiere of Soul Train, the Broadway-bound musical based on the iconic TV show that brought Black music, dance, and style into every living room in America. Journey back to 1971 Chicago, when Black entrepreneur and radio DJ Don Cornelius transformed the pop culture landscape by recognizing the lack of Black musical artists on television. Within a year, his local dance show went national and became one of the longest running shows in television history. Elegant, determined, and complicated, Cornelius set trends for nearly 40 years by giving a stage-and a camera-to the artists who created the soundtrack of multiple generations, and to the dancers, includingRosie PerezandJody Watley, who became superstars."

I really hope that I can get on Soul Train 

jacobsnchz14
#22ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 6/28/23 at 3:26pm

Video with rehearsal/workshop footage with cast announcement coming soon: https://fb.watch/lsgID96HPT/?mibextid=DcJ9fc

jacobsnchz14
Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#24ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 7/19/23 at 10:28pm

Attending in September with my theatre group.  Ordered 35 center mezzanine seats for $56 each (service charges included).  Feel a bit better about the show now that creatives and cast are announced..

jacobsnchz14
#25ACT will present SOUL TRAIN musical world premiere in fall 2023
Posted: 8/26/23 at 1:26pm

Anyone else attending?