pixeltracker

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 13

The 74th Annual Tony Awards (2021) - News & Discussion Thread

chrishuyen
#30074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:43am

I seem to remember something about how for sound design (and maybe orchestrations too?), only voters knowledgable in that category would be able to cast votes, but I can't seem to find any mention of that rule anywhere so did I just imagine it?

Wayman_Wong
#30174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 3:22am

Chrishuyen, you didn't imagine that. Here's a 2017 Playbill article that says: ''Starting next season, a select subset of voters will vote in these [Sound] categories—as well as Best Orchestrations—based on their trade.''

https://www.playbill.com/article/the-tony-awards-will-reinstate-the-best-sound-design-categories

Wayman_Wong
#30274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 3:26am

Chrishuyen, you didn't imagine that. Here's a 2017 Playbill article that says: ''Starting next season, a select subset of voters will vote in these [Sound] categories—as well as Best Orchestrations—based on their trade.''

https://www.playbill.com/article/the-tony-awards-will-reinstate-the-best-sound-design-categories

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#30374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 10:21am

From the Variety article posted recently, I think it's important to highlight this:

All four hours will be streamed on Paramount Plus, with the final two hours also live on CBS.

“We sat down and creatively challenged ourselves to figure out how do we bring the full power of the new ViacomCBS to the Tony Awards,” said Jack Sussman, CBS Entertainment exec VP of specials, music, live events and alternative programming. “It’s kind of like the real time, contemporary version of what everybody’s calling ‘convergent media.’ That brought Paramount Plus and CBS together. For what used to be a three-hour broadcast telecast, we’re now embracing this new linear and streaming combined ecosystem.”

Audra McDonald is hosting the awards-heavy two hours, followed by Leslie Odom Jr. handling hosting duties for the concert event.

Among the performances throughout the evening: David Byrne and the cast of “American Utopia”; John Legend and the cast of “Ain’t Too Proud”; McDonald and Brian Stokes Mitchell performing a duet from “Ragtime”; Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth with music from “Wicked”; and a reunion of the cast members of “Hairspray,” including Marissa Jaret Winokur and Matthew Morrison. The telecast will close with the cast of “Freestyle Love Supreme,” including Lin-Manuel Miranda.

The primetime special will also feature performances from the three Tony-nominated best musical contenders, “Jagged Little Pill,” “Moulin Rouge! The Musical” and “Tina: The Tina Turner Musical.”

Kirshner said the Paramount Plus portion will include between 20 to 25 awards. “We want to be really clear that it is a full-on awards show,” he said. “We have Jennifer Nettles doing a song from her Broadway album. We have Jennifer Holliday celebrating the 40th anniversary of ‘Dreamgirls.’ There’s a lot of misinformation out there. In the past, a lot of these awards have been in a pre-show where they got a 10 second blurb on the air. Now they get their full award on the air...”

"We're more audience-friendly concert in primetime, came out of this unusual year and the desire to add more entertainment elements to the CBS broadcast. But it could also serve as a template for how awards shows might be reimagined in the future. Sussman wasn’t ready to go that far, but said each event would be analyzed on an individual basis.

“We’re going to move forward on an individual basis, show by show event by event, what’s the best plan, and how do we do the best job possible to make sure that more people on whatever platform they choose to watch it on, watch the events that were partnered and invested in,” he said. “It becomes a win-win for everybody involved. In this case it’s a win for the Broadway League, it’s a win for the Theater Wing, it’s a win for CBS, it’s a win for Paramount Plus. And it’s a win for viewers everywhere who can tap into this event, however they choose to.”

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

SFFrontRow
#30474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 2:58pm

The difference between a PBS telecast of certain awards and one on a for-pay streaming service is that the PBS stations were all readily available on your broadcast or cable services and could still record the broadcast. Paramount+ is a for-pay service and recording a stream is not something most of us could do..

I have the entirety of the Tony Award's on tape, DVD, or digital going back to the 60's and enjoy reliving the awards as well as the musical numbers and (in certain years) play excerpts.

Updated On: 9/25/21 at 02:58 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#30574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/25/21 at 3:07pm

The fact that they're putting in this much work, to give us a FOUR HOUR show? Yes it's to bring viewers to Paramount+, but let's face it, more and more people are cord-cutters so they have to find some way to justify the cost of putting it out to begin with. Without Les Moonves to champion the Tonys, we're lucky they're doing it at all.

(There's a free trial. Use that.)

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#30674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 1:45am

Are there any fun games that folks might recommend for gatherings today? Bingo cards being passed around or etc? Do people still do those? :)

Nycat63
#30774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 11:15am

I just noticed a 99 cent promotion for one month of paramount plus (i believe version without ads) through Amazon prime. I know there’s also a free 7 day trial but for anyone who has prime and wants paramount for 3 extra weeks to binge the Good Fight, etc. just thought I’d let y’all know. Promo ends today.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#30874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 1:46pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for Aaron Tveit. This could be his year finally.

Platypus
#30974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 1:54pm

Can anyone confirm if the Paramount+ portion will be viewable in Canada? We can subscribe to Paramount+ here, so I signed up, but we don't always get the same content as the US due to differences in licensing. I don't actually see any sign of the Tony Awards on any menu in the app - but is that the case for everyone?

Money_baby
#31074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 3:35pm

Platypus said: "Can anyone confirm if the Paramount+ portion will be viewable in Canada? We can subscribe to Paramount+ here, so I signed up, but we don't always get the same content as the US due to differences in licensing. I don't actually see any sign of the Tony Awards on any menu in the app - but is that the case for everyone?"

I’m in Canada too and can’t confirm this anywhere. Hopefully it will be available.

BrodyFosse123
#31174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 3:51pm

This is from the Paramount + U.S. app. Once you sign in, this is part of the main menu slideshow:

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall

Sunny11
#31274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 3:54pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Keeping my fingers crossed for Aaron Tveit. This could be his year finally."

I am almost sure he will win but can you imagine if doesn’t get the 60% vote? That would be beyond embarrassing! Would they just skip the award entirely and just hope nobody remembers or would a presenter make a quick statement that there was a  nullified vote ?

AlexandraCoombs Profile Photo
AlexandraCoombs
#31374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 4:27pm

Yeah, that doesn't show up on the app here in Canada or on the website. I don't want to wait until 7 to find out that I can't stream the first two hours.

BrodyFosse123
#31474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 4:42pm

AlexandraCoombs said: "Yeah, that doesn't show up on the app here in Canada or on the website. I don't want to wait until 7 to find out that I can't stream the first two hours."

This only shows up IF you log in.  Otherwise, it does not show up on the app.  Even a search for Tony Awards brings up zero unless you sign in.  Once signed it, Tony Awards shows up on a search.  

AlexandraCoombs Profile Photo
AlexandraCoombs
#31574th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 4:50pm

It doesn't show up once I search/no search when I'm logged in on the app or desktop

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#31674th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 4:57pm

This will be Antonio Cipriano's final performance with JLP

https://www.theatrely.com/post/antonio-cipriano-to-leave-jagged-little-pill

BCfitasafiddle
#31774th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 5:02pm

This is gonna be an interesting return to Broadway.

Platypus
#31874th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 5:21pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "This is from the Paramount + U.S. app.Once you sign in, this is part of the main menu slideshow:

74th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
"

Thank you for sharing this. It confirms that it's not on the Canadian account. That's disappointing but I guess it's better to figure it out beforehand...

lightsarebrightonbroadway
#31974th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 5:44pm

So is this not available in Canada? There is a live news section - is that not it?

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#32074th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 5:48pm

According to a Google search you can watch the Tonys on Paramount+ in Canada but you’ll need a VPN to watch it anywhere else besides US and Canada.

Edit: Also, it didn’t show up for me on the main page (from the US) and couldn’t find it until I searched for “Tony” in the search bar. Added it to my list so it’ll be easy to get to at 7:00

Updated On: 9/26/21 at 05:48 PM

Platypus
#32174th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 6:06pm

FosseTharp said: "According to a Google search you can watch the Tonys on Paramount+ in Canada but you’ll need a VPN to watch it anywhere else besides US and Canada.

Edit: Also, it didn’t show up for me on the main page (from the US) and couldn’t find it until I searched for “Tony” in the search bar. Added it to my list so it’ll be easy to get to at 7:00
"

I tried with a VPN and they're smarter than that - you can't log into a Canadian account from a US IP. So then I tried creating a US account using a VPN, but I couldn't do that without a credit card attached to a US address. 

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

northlandfan
#32274th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 6:19pm

I live in Montreal and I find it ridiculous that there’s no way to know whether this show will appear on our Paramount+ version here in Canada. I guess I’ll have to wait till 7 PM and either be pleasantly surprised or extremely disappointed!

BCfitasafiddle
#32374th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 6:33pm

Loving the fashion I'm seeing so far. Everyone's looking beautiful with some gorgeous color choices. YAY for Broadway!

Alex Kulak2
#32474th Annual Tony Awards will go digital this fall
Posted: 9/26/21 at 6:44pm

Thought I'd drop the Tony Awards Drinking Game created by the Musicals With Cheese podcast.

Take a drink Anytime:

Jagged Little Pill Loses An Award

A Performance Starts

COVID Is Mentioned

Aaron Tveit Wins A Tony

A White Person Wins

Someone Says "Broadway Is Back"