Bad Cinderella

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#1Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/30/20 at 3:35pm

Just had a listen to the newly released single. What do you think?

Me?--Juvenile lyrics, musically a mix of everything and then,of course, a loud screech at the end. I just hope this is just a quick throw-away 'look at me I'm a rebel' type song and the rest is sheer brilliance.

We can all dream.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#2Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/30/20 at 3:59pm

I only paid enough attention to realize that Andrew seems to think he can write a musical about Cinderella, pinch the tune of a song from another musical about Cinderella, and think no one will notice because.... COVID, I guess? I dunno. At any rate, it's not an homage, it's laziness. If you want to do a Cinderella musical with "In My Own Little Corner" in it, just produce another R&H revival for Christ's sake.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#3Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/31/20 at 3:44am

He's reviewing his own songs now?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/31/20 at 5:45am

Is Frank Wildhorn now ghost writing for ALW?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#5Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/31/20 at 5:58am

I think "Bad Cinderella" really sums it up perfectly

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/31/20 at 9:29am

I thought it was catchy. *shrug*

SouthernCakes
#7Bad Cinderella
Posted: 10/31/20 at 1:39pm

Fun to hear something new but to me it had that bland current musical theater vibe to it. And the inevitable belt at the end. But I want to hear the rest of the show.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#8Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/2/20 at 11:01am

Jordan Catalano said: "I thought it was catchy. *shrug*"

Same. I like it.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Alex Kulak2
#9Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/2/20 at 1:54pm

Does ALW write all his songs to be easy to play at auditions? The arrangement is so thin and undercooked, it’s just the vocal line and drums. An orchestrator would have added color and harmony, but ALW insists on orchestrating all his own shows...

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#10Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/3/20 at 3:28pm

Considering his previous history with accusations of plagiarism you would think he’d avoid basically doing the same thing again.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#11Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/4/20 at 2:34pm

It sounds like Six.

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#12Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/4/20 at 9:08pm

Pretty sure this is more a buzz single with pop crossover potential than an accurate representation of how this will appear in the show. I’m fairly certain there will be a more theatrical orchestration on stage. And, if it sounds like Six, is that a bad thing? This is hitting the same demo and would love to be a similar success that speaks to the ticket buying public.

windowwaving
#13Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/4/20 at 10:38pm

I wanted to hate this song, but now I can't stop listening to it. I really love the incorporation of "In My Own Little Corner." 

It really does give me SIX vibes, which I think works in its favor. 

I also like that the lyric "barking mad, Cinderella" sounds more like a fun expletive which would fit in with the song just as well. 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#14Bad Cinderella
Posted: 11/5/20 at 8:25am

This seems so lazy. ALW is like... Hm I want a Cinderella with EDGE. I know! We’ll call her BAD Cinderella!

It’s like my five year old nephew came up with it. Gimme a break. The song has no character. It’s just incredibly blah.