pixeltracker

A slightly odd question about performer couples

A slightly odd question about performer couples

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#1A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 10:59am

Hi all. I'm working on a project and hoping I can rely on your expertise for a little guidance. I'm looking specifically for examples of couples in the performing arts who worked together platonically at first, then later became romantically involved. For example: Idina Menzel and Aaron Lohr worked together in SEE WHAT I WANNA SEE and RENT, but they didn't become a couple until many years later. Can anyone provide other examples such as this? Thanks in advance!

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#2A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 11:20am

omg there are so many! I think my favorite is Keith Carradine/Shelley Plimpton at Hair, mostly because Martha became a backstage baby during the run. And it's not a performer couple, but she was later married to Daniel Sullivan who had been an AD on Hair. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#3A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 11:31am

Orfeh and Andy Karl. They met when both were cast members of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. They started dating during the run of the show.

NameGreg Profile Photo
NameGreg
#4A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 11:39am

Kim Crosby and Robert Westenberg became a couple while performing in Into the Woods as Cinderella and her Prince, and they’ve stayed together to this day.

“Somebody stop me before I sing again” - Bazzard

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 11:46am

SJB and Sebastian Arcelus were in Wicked together before they coupled.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 12:46pm

Interesting question. Most of the stage couples that come to mind for me are either (a) couples who got together in the process of working together for the first time, or (b) couples who have been working together for years, and I don't really know the timeline. And neither of these are really what you're asking for, right? 

I believe Hamish Linklater and Lily Rabe didn't start dating until several years after they performed together in Seminar, but I'm not sure - and even then, that's not much of a time gap. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 12:59pm

Taye Diggs and Idina Menzel - Were friends then became a couple when Rent moved to Broadway

Steven Pasquale and Laura Benanti - Starred in The Secret Garden and got together shortly after. 

Colin Donnell and Patti Murin - Starred in Love Labour's Lost together and started dating after it was over.

Andrew Rannells and Tuc Watson - Starred in The Boys in the Band together on Broadway, but did not get together until the following Summer during filming for the show of the same name. 

Updated On: 3/7/21 at 12:59 PM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#8A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 2:49pm

Sutton Ross said: "Colin Donnell and Patti Murin - Starred in Love Labour's Lost together and started dating after it was over."

Actually, I don't believe that's accurate. FWIW, I was at the stage door for Love's Labour's Lost, and I saw them walking off together, holding hands! But maybe they were just very close friends! :) 

Sutton Ross
#9A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 2:56pm

"Donnell began dating actress Patti Murin in 2013 after they co-starred in a musical adaptation of Love's Labour's Lost."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colin_Donnell

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#10A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 3:00pm

Okie dokie!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#11A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 3:06pm

HogansHero said: "omg there are so many! I think my favorite isKeith Carradine/Shelley Plimpton at Hair, mostly because Martha became a backstage baby during the run. And it's not a performer couple, but she was later married to Daniel Sullivan who had been an AD on Hair."

There were a lot of relationships in Hair, weren't there? Keith and Shelley... Heather MacRae and Oatis Stephens... Teddie Neeley and Kay Cole...  Sally Eaton and just about anybody (including that little show she and Barry McGuire put on for all of Broadway)...

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

LarryD2
#12A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 4:43pm

Colin and Patti began seeing each other during LOVE'S LABOURS LOST. Wikipedia isn't always accurate.

Terry Mann and Charlotte d'Amboise first met during CATS but didn't become romantically involved until some time later.

Alex Kulak2
#13A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 10:02pm

If I recall correctly, Eva Noblezada and Reeve Carney started dating after being in Hadestown together.

There's a couple Hamilton couples, too. Anthony Ramos and Jasmine Cephas Jones, Daveed Diggs and Emmy Raver-Lampman.

nasty_khakis
#14A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/7/21 at 10:10pm

Patti Murin also met and got engaged to her ex husband Curtis Holbrook when they were doing Xanadu.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#15A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 12:24am

HogansHero said: "omg there are so many! I think my favorite isKeith Carradine/Shelley Plimpton at Hair, mostly because Martha became a backstage baby during the run. And it's not a performer couple, but she was later married to Daniel Sullivan who had been an AD on Hair."

Though as far as I can tell, Carradine and Plimpton copulated but were never a couple. I don't think Martha ever had much of a relationship with Carradine. I've never heard her even reference him as a dad, beyond the biological fact, in interviews, but she speaks highly of what a great and influential mother she had.

Updated On: 3/8/21 at 12:24 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#16A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 12:29am

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the thread prompt. If I understand correctly, the OP wasn't asking for examples of couple who got together WHILE working together for the first time. I believe they wanted examples of people who worked together, then got together later after a significant amount of time had passed. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#17A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 12:54am

That's abundantly clear from the OP, but when have you known this board to feel restricted by what was asked? 

surprise

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#18A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 1:13am

Eva Noblezada and Reevey Carney!

Sutton Ross
#19A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 1:29am

Lol. Oh JBroadway, you cannot control this board, the people, or where threads go.

So....let it gooooooooooooooooooo! A slightly odd question about performer couples

LarryD2
#20A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 8:23am

A few other examples that relate to the OP's original guidelines:

Kate Baldwin and Graham Rowat met during a regional production of 1776. They began dating after it closed.

Danny Burstein and Rebecca Luker started dating about a year after appearing in the La Jolla Playhouse production of Barry Manilow's HARMONY in the late nineties.

Anthony Edwards and Mare Winningham played lovers in the 1988 film MIRACLE MILE but didn't start dating until 2017, after having been married to other people.

Not actors, but Mika Brzezinski and Joe Scarborough have co-hosted MORNING JOE on MSNBC since 2007. They became romantically involved around 2015, after divorcing their respective spouses, and married each other in 2018.

Also, not a case of working together directly, but Noah Galvin replaced Ben Platt in DEAR EVAN HANSEN and a few years later, they became a couple.

Updated On: 3/8/21 at 08:23 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#21A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 9:16am

Not trying to control anyone. Just trying to provide clarity and insight where I can.

Updated On: 3/8/21 at 09:16 AM

Sutton Ross
#22A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 11:51am

Nobody needs clarity from you, we're all pretty smart and the subject is clear.

Updated On: 3/8/21 at 11:51 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#23A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/8/21 at 12:01pm

Thanks for the responses so far. They've been very helpfully.

Obviously I can't control how anyone chooses to respond to this thread, but I am still looking specifically for examples of couples who worked together and then became involved after an interval (e.g., Menzel/Lohr, Edwards/Winningham). If anyone knows of other examples that haven't been mentioned yet, I'd greatly appreciate it!

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#24A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/11/21 at 12:22pm

Didn't Sutton Foster meet Bobby Cannavale during "Trust"?

We saw her entering a theater many years later and I asked her if she kept the boots.  She did.

Lousy
#25A slightly odd question about performer couples
Posted: 3/11/21 at 7:28pm

Sutton Ross said: "Nobody needs clarity from you, we're all pretty smart"

Said very confidently despite all evidence to the contrary in this thread.

No one gives a damn about the list of shows you've seen.