pixeltracker

Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!- Page 2

Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#25Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 6:55pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I’m just glad she’s not calling for an industry that matches her work ethic."

Tone deaf.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 6:56pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I’m just glad she’s not calling for an industry that matches her work ethic."

and I oop 

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#27Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:18pm

Bettyboy72 said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Bettyboy72 said: "It’s not lost on me that she posts her disbelief and anger that the industry is in denial and not addressing important issues and some of the first responses are tone deaf."

No one is being “tone deaf.” Get off your high horse.
"

Rich coming from someone who seems to be able to read her mind and her motivations and is just taking the opportunity to shred her. By all means, carry on.
"

She’s shredding many of her Broadway colleagues, so I’m sure she can withstand a little criticism from a nobody regional theatre actor like me.

I’m not going to say any more, since everyone would rather applaud her virtue signaling than actually admit how pointless and frankly a little obnoxious it is. She has NOTHING to lose by quitting the show and has a cushy job in academia to fall back on. Now she also gets to position herself as morally superior to all of Broadway. I’m jealous! May we all be so fortunate.

Updated On: 4/14/21 at 07:18 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:32pm

I still question how she got that Tony in West Side Story. No loss in my opinion, I'm sure her replacement will be better.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#29Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:35pm

For more nuance: 

https://www.facebook.com/morgan.gould/posts/10103207268455210

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#30Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:38pm

Wasn't Natalie Cortez her standby in Boston? Maybe they can bring her in?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#31Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:42pm

Again, Ashley Loren was on for her basically all of February 2020, so I'm sure she'll be offered the job.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#32Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 7:49pm

I think it would have been more interesting if she voiced her opinion but stayed in the show. Would love to see how the producers would have responded.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#33Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:05pm

I'm sure she's taking notes on all the advice you all have provided.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sutton Ross
#34Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:06pm

Huss417 said: "I think it would have been more interesting if she voiced her opinion but stayed in the show. Would love to see how the producers would have responded."

I actually thought she was going to do that. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#35Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:07pm

This is still a theater message board where people are going to write out opinions on theater related stories, this being one of them.

JSquared2
#36Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:08pm

This is actually the THIRD time she's stormed away from Broadway forever -- never to return again!  I wish her well in her future endeavors.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#37Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:12pm

Jordan Catalano said: "This is still a theater message board where people are going to write out opinions on theater related stories, this being one of them. "

WORD!

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Alexander Lamar
#38Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:16pm

Does working to change something “from the inside” ever really work?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#39Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:20pm

To people who have never had the balls to stand up against oppression and exploitation it's a very potent fantasy.

I'm with you, BettyBoy.  These responses are so out of touch it's ridiculous.  

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Zion24
#40Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:27pm

1. I dont doubt Scott Rudin is a monster- im not in the theater/entertainment industry, and I can assure you in mine, there are monsters in positions of power and i applaud any effort to root them out. Broadway should be all over that. 

2. PLEASE forgive me if I am missing something, but... is Rudin a producer at Moulin Rouge? If not, then she's angry that the producers of her production didnt....condemn another producer for being horrible? Apply this standard to any other industry and you see how patently bizarre this is. 

3. Karen Olivo has incredible stage presence and I am sorry I won't get to see her Satine. 

4. Karen Olivo has "left Broadway" at least twice before. (She came out of retirement for Hamilton, I think?)

5. Working to change something from the inside can work- as can protesting and demanding change from the outside. A Tony Award winner with years of good work under her belt can afford to storm off like this but the vast majority of performers cannot, so lets cool it on the notion that the way to change Broadway is to shut it down coming off this crisis?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#41Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:30pm

Working for change from the inside = Going to Equity = A Complete Waste of Time

And can we please do away with the whole "there are monsters in all walks of life" propaganda?  How many bosses do you know who have gotten away with sending their employees to the hospital? 

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#42Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:40pm

It's not about the money...until she gets her next big Broadway offer.  She's cried wolf too many times for anyone to take her retirement threats/rants seriously.

Zion24
#43Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:40pm

Borstalboy said: "Working for change from the inside = Going to Equity = A Complete Waste of Time

And can we please do away with the whole "there are monsters in all walks of life" propaganda? How many bosses do you know who have gotten away with sending their employees to the hospital?
"

I am not defending Rudin in any way shape or form. I would love for charges to be pressed, a trial to be had, and his reign to be over (assuming this is all true, which i don't really doubt). 

I do not think for one second that this problem is much worse on Broadway than it is elsewhere. I can only speak to the industries I've been in, but there are Rudins everywhere. I had a stapler thrown at my head at my first job. Im not defending that, I handled it, no one deserves it. And if I am wrong, and Karen Olivo leaving Moulin Rouge somehow "takes down" Scott Rudin- kudos to her. 

but come on. 

Sutton Ross
#44Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:44pm

4. Karen Olivo has "left Broadway" at least twice before. (She came out of retirement for Hamilton, I think?) 

Nope. Chicago and City Center aren't Broadway. She came back to Broadway for Moulin Rouge! 

Updated On: 4/14/21 at 08:44 PM

btales
#45Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 8:57pm

Yet a director with a reputation like Arthur Laurents in WSS gets a pass?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#46Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:01pm

First off, she’s not quitting Moulin Rouge to stick it to Rudin. She is aware he has nothing to do with the show. She has been doing activism about issues facing BIPOC in the industry for some time now. She’s been teaming with other folks in the industry to address this issue since NONE OF THE ACTUAL GOVERNING BODIES of theater and stage are touching it. She’s actually doing a program tomorrow with Eden Espinosa to talk about this issue.

EQUITY is not responding to members concerns about reopening. She is addressing the national issue that the industry leaders are silent. She is using her privilege, which so many of you keep pointing out she has, to leave a show and send a message. It’s what people with privilege with a moral compass do. She never said she’ll be destitute. She knows she will be fine so she is calling out hypocrisy in the industry. It got her many, many headlines whereas the Rudin issue, racism in theater and Equity issues have gone untouched.

But by all means let’s make this about her attendance in West Side Story and her leaving Broadway before. Let’s funnel our discomfort and lack of support into a crucifixion of an actress speaking her mind. God forbid.

***For the record she never actually says she is leaving Broadway, she says maybe it is time for performers to walk and create their own theater, new theater. Harness their power.

And we wonder why she said she wants to get ahead of “the spin.”

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BroadwayBen
#47Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 9:35pm

Who the comment about "your concert career" aimed at?  I didn't understand that reference.  

Sutton Ross
#48Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:00pm

LizzieCurry said: "I'm sure she's taking notes on all the advice you all have provided."

Ah yes, a person bitching about other people's bitching on a board she's on literally 24 hours a day. And needs to remind us that the BLOCK FEATURE SURE DOES WORK just as much. Even though you read all my posts. Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!

Lolz. Hilarious. 

Zion24
#49Karen Olivo not returning to MOULIN ROUGE!
Posted: 4/14/21 at 10:21pm

Sutton Ross said: "4. Karen Olivo has "left Broadway" at least twice before. (She came out of retirement for Hamilton, I think?)

Nope. Chicago and City Center aren't Broadway. She came backto Broadway for Moulin Rouge!
"

Fair point re her "coming back to Broadway" but to be fair, her prior "retirements" were from performing in general, not Broadway specifically, and it was like a "thing" when she "re-emerged" to do TTB and then Hamilton. I think its fair to compare her prior departures to this one. 

I just can't believe anyone thinks Scott Rudin's behavior changes (or hes legally disentangled from the projects he worked on) because Moulin Rouge re-opens with a different actress at its helm, Olivo was not bringing in the $$ there, the show was.