pixeltracker

CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square

CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#1CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 10:10am

I just came across a test page on Telecharge for this comedic play, starring Norm Lewis and Michael Urie, with previews starting on 9/23, and opening on 10/10.

Chicken and Biscuits Tickets | Broadway | Telecharge

Has anyone heard about this?

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 10:10 AM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#2CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 10:19am

Nothing in his media pages. Hope he does. Saw him last in  Wash DC in Music Man.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 10:52am

Just curious, what is a test page (I think the name may explain itself!) but how do you come across it? I went to it and it looked like it was going to let me buy tickets.

Just give the world Love.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#4CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 10:57am

It's a page that's preparing for full ticket sales, but, normally, only has a single date or a handful of dates loaded in. I found it by looking at the show list on Telecharge, but, if you go on there now, it's gone, even though you can still access it through the link in my original post.

They really should do this kind of work on the site when they're offline, because it's silly that the BWW message board should be able to offer this kind of breaking news, although I do enjoy scooping the actual press.

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 10:57 AM

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 11:07am

And in the spirit of CT2NYC's post, it should be clarified right off the bat that BroadwayWorld's article posted just now is NOT a confirmation. They learned the information from this thread. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 11:13am

Oh my God, I’m sitting in the airport and they’re selling chicken biscuits at the Popeyes in front of me. It has to be a sign.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 11:31am

JBroadway said: "And in the spirit of CT2NYC's post, it should be clarified right off the bat that BroadwayWorld's article posted just nowis NOTa confirmation. They learned the information from this thread."

Isn't that how Broadway World gets half of their news?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Alexander Lamar
Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#9CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square?
Posted: 6/24/21 at 11:39am

Exciting af, thanks Alexander!

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#10CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 11:45am

Well, I guess I can take the question mark off.

Dollypop
#11CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 12:11pm

Michael Urie was in the last show (GRAND HORIZONS) I saw before the shutdown. It looks like he'll be in the first show I see when Broadway re-opens.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#12CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 12:23pm

Tickets are on sale now, starting at $49.50 for previews through 10/9.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#13CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 12:40pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Oh my God, I’m sitting in the airport and they’re selling chicken biscuits at the Popeyes in front of me. It has to be a sign."

And I now have "Purpose" from Avenue Q stuck in my head! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#14CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 12:44pm

uncageg said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Oh my God, I’m sitting in the airport and they’re selling chicken biscuits at the Popeyes in front of me. It has to be a sign."

And I now have "Purpose" from Avenue Q stuck in my head!

Ha ha ha ha. Thank you for stirring up images of moving face boxes in my head.

Oh look, a bibu!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 12:59pm

Oh, CT2NYC, thank you for answering my question. Kind of thought that but wasn't sure.

Dollypop
#16CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 2:30pm

And Circle-in-the-Square is such an intimate space that even the cheapest seats are fine!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 3:16pm

What makes any producer think there is going to suddenly be an audience for non-event plays without real stars in them? (These two are not real stars.) It's great that 7 plays by Black writers are going to be on Broadway this season –– and that both the writer and director are new to Broadway in those capacities –– but I have a hard time seeing a road to recoupment for any of these commercial productions. Prove me wrong, but I think there's going to be a bloodbath at the box office. Maybe if any of them get reviews on the level of Curious Incident or August: Osage County, but those are once-a-decade hits.

JSquared2
#18CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 3:21pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "What makes any producer think there is going to suddenly be an audience for non-event plays without real stars in them? (These two are not real stars.) It's great that 7 plays by Black writers are going to be on Broadway this season –– and that both the writer and director are new to Broadway in those capacities ––but I have a hard time seeing a road to recoupment for any of these commercial productions. Prove me wrong, but I think there's going to be a bloodbath at the box office. Maybe if any of them get reviews on the level ofCurious IncidentorAugust: Osage County,but those are once-a-decade hits."

Remembering Every Second of 'Debbie Downer,' Ten Years After Her Debut -  The Atlantic

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#19CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 3:34pm

Sorry for trying to be realistic when everyone else is in fantasy land...

It is a fact that plays dealing with race have previously had a very hard time finding a sustainable Broadway audience when they don't have stars in the cast, and Black ticketbuyers are very hard to convert in mass numbers at sustainable ($100+) prices. That's not saying they don't deserve to be on Broadway and that they shouldn't try –– but if all these investors lose their shirts, that doesn't bode well for subject matter like this in the future.

Prove me wrong. I'd love to see Broadway ticketbuying habits change. But there is nothing that indicates that the Broadway ticketbuying audience has completely flipped during the pandemic. ESPECIALLY for the serious dramas (which this play is not). Who is dying to sit and watch a sad play after these past 18 months??

I don't say this to be provocative or anti-woke, but realism is necessary.

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 03:34 PM

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#20CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 3:40pm

But...who is going to be buying tickets for the next few months? It's certainly not going to be overseas tourists. Hell...American tourists will still probably stay away for some time to come. The people that will be buying tickets to these shows will be people that are plugged into Broadway and have a deep desire to see as much as they can after a year and a half of absolutely nothing. I think now is the exact right time to be producing shows like this. We are in uncharted territory, we have no idea what the audience will actually look like and perhaps giving locals who are Broadway aficionados options beyond mega musicals that we've all seen numerous times is a smart bit of counter programming. I mean...I have no idea. But people have to produce stuff. And small plays with beloved NY 'stars' seems like a decent bet as theaters begin to open.  

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 03:40 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 4:03pm

Like I said --- prove me wrong!

But the frequent theatergoers are in two buckets of people: people who buy cheap/discounted tickets under $50 unless it's something they're DYING to see (an unsustainable ticket price), vs older [white] New York theatergoers who are willing to pay more if they hear it's great, but they have more specific tastes. And beyond these 7 plays, there's also off-Broadway and musicals and other live experiences. Tourists have never gone for plays in the modern era, unless those plays have big stars or a brand title.

We are going to see a majority of Broadway shows at the TKTS booth and TDF and papering services within 6 weeks of reopening. I see more as much theatre as anyone here, but I still know I won't be shelling out to see every show. People are overestimating the appetite for full-priced Broadway tickets after the initial reopening bump. (With the exception of Hamilton, Wicked, Lion King, etc)

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 04:03 PM

Sutton Ross
#22CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 4:04pm

They are names around the New York theater community. Beloved names I might add. And it's those same people who are coming back to the theater in the Fall, not international tourists.

You clearly live in a fantasy land that consists of nothing but tourists from Asia going to Wicked.

Jesus Christ.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 4:11pm

Playgoers are inherently New Yorkers and tristate folks. Large volumes of tourists don't buy tickets to plays unless they're going to see Brian Cranston or Denzel Washington. Talented people like Michael Urie and Norm Lewis have never been major ticketbuying draws up to this point (and the work they've done has largely attempted - but not succeeded - to appeal to New York theatergeors), and I can't really see that changing now.

We're also talking about producers with no great track record.

As I keep saying, let it prove me wrong, but this is where I stand on most of these shows until I see box office numbers.

Updated On: 6/24/21 at 04:11 PM

Sutton Ross
#24CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 4:13pm

Cool, I guess we will see what happens this Fall with this play. Locals are very, very excited to see shows and especially new ones.

I wish this production the very best and I'll be watching from the front row.

SouthernCakes
#25CHICKEN AND BISCUITS at Circle in the Square
Posted: 6/24/21 at 5:15pm

You’re totally valid to be concerned about how this play will, uh, play. But you know what? It’s not my money. So I don’t really care. I do think a lot of the heavier subject matter might struggle as people just want upbeat fun theater to take our minds off last year and all that. But I’m curious to see how it all shakes out!

Videos