pixeltracker

& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto

& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 9:30am

I really loved this show and honestly think it’s the perfect show to come to Broadway now. Big, bright, fun and full of music everyone loves. I think it’s the perfect time for it. 

Link

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#2& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 9:52am

Thank God.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#3& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 10:03am

I passed up seeing this in London in the hopes that it would come to NYC, so fingers crossed! Seems very silly but it looks like a fun time. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#4& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 11:29am

I read that it won't play its pre-Broadway run in Toronto until next July, so we have a bit of a wait.

Just give the world Love.

Mpkenny99
#5& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 12:34pm

With "Once Upon a One More Time" doing it's pre-broadway engagement in DC this December...  It just seems like a lot of Britney on Broadway at one time.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 12:36pm

This show is definitely taking the Mamma Mia! route. Will it last several years, who can tell, but the show is stupid fun and Broadway is getting a treat come 2023... 'cuz I want it that way.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 12:45pm

I'm just so happy this is coming closer and closer to NYC. I love the cast recording, it's just fun. 

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#8& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 6:34pm

VERY excited that the plans for this didn't get cancelled all together. I discovered it early in quarantine and be still my little Backstreet Boys lovin' heart I love this one! I don't think that this is a show that is going to scream for a cast transfer from the West End so let's start dropping them names! Who on our side of the Atlantic could you see in this one?

RW3
#9& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 6:42pm

This is going to be so basic, but Derek Klena as Romeo

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#10& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 7:29pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "Who on our side of the Atlantic could you see in this one?"

I can't imagine Miriam-Teak Lee not coming over with this.  She is the show.
Pre-pandemic they were holding auditions in Toronto, so there might be a heavy Canadian contingent, at least at first.

Jordan Catalano
#11& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 7:37pm

I would love Miriam to come but that would mean she would be with this one show for like 5 years then. I can see her wanting to move on by that point. This really isn’t a show that’s going to rely on “names”. I could see someone like Gavin Creel or even Will Swenson as Shakespeare and maybe Caissie Levy as Anne.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 8:08pm

I'd love to see a newcomer play Juliet. The character undergoes a rollercoaster of emotions throughout the entire show 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

before she ultimately decides to give Romeo another chance.

From what I hear, Miriam is immensely likable if a little bit pitchy with her high notes, and future London ticketholders should be glad she is returning to the Shaftesbury in just a few weeks. But honestly, I believe NY will see someone even better.

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#13& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 8:30pm

I hear this show is a blast. Hope we see it in the states soon!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/23/21 at 10:59pm

RW3 said: "This is going to be so basic, but Derek Klena as Romeo"

Yes, that is basic. Not all white boys are leads by default. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

sng
#15& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 12:37am

2 shows that feature Britney's music possibly playing at the same time? Broadway is saved. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#16& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 12:58am

sng said: "2 shows that feature Britney's music possibly playing at the same time? Broadway is saved."

Possibly 3, including Moulin Rouge.

Midnight Radio
#17& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 7:58am

I was lucky to see it in London short after it opened. The show is a complete blast, and deserves to be a hit on Broadway.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#18& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 9:34am

I am obsessed with the cast album and it's been an album I turned to a lot over the last year to raise my spirits. I'm so excited to hear the show is still planning to head to Broadway and am very much considering a trip to Toronto to see it before that. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#19& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 9:43am

ClumsyDude15 said: "I am obsessed with the cast album and it's been an album I turned to a lot over the last year to raise my spirits. I'm so excited to hear the show is still planning to head to Broadway and am very much considering a trip to Toronto to see it before that."

Not gonna lie, ditto to this entire post.

Owen22
#20& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 9:48am

The best news about this is that it will be introducing director Luke Sheppard to Broadway.  I preferred his London version of "In the Heights" to Broadway's and his West End musical "Adrian Mole" was a joy.  I'm seeing his "Rent" next month in Manchester, which is supposed to be terrific.

Jordan Catalano
#21& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 10:06am

I love how this is exciting people. It’s probably the best “jukebox musical” I’ve ever seen and fully expected people to roll their eyes at this announcement.

I thought “Adrian Mole” was a cute musical. I love seeing those uniquely British shows when I’m over there that will never ever in a million years play in America.

singer234
#22& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/24/21 at 10:33am

This show is so up my alley, and I wanted to love it so much…but I just didn’t. Could have been the performance I saw but the whole thing felt sloppy with incredibly weak vocals. I could see it being a fun time with someone like Renee Rapp in the lead role. It was just…a lot. Which I love! Moulin Rouge may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I found it way better executed and sung than this show. I’d be happy to give it another chance!

bwaylvsong1
#23& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/26/21 at 12:56am

jacobsnchz14 said: "ClumsyDude15 said: "I am obsessed with the cast album and it's been an album I turned to a lot over the last year to raise my spirits. I'm so excited to hear the show is still planning to head to Broadway and am very much considering a trip to Toronto to see it before that."

Not gonna lie, ditto to this entire post.
"

Tritto!  The recording got me through quarantine.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#24& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 8/26/21 at 1:08am

"Tritto!  The recording got me through quarantine." 

Same! It was just such a perfect album to turn on and just jam out to when the world was at it's absolute darkest and just soak up the absolute pop sunshine of it all. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 8/26/21 at 01:08 AM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#25& JULIET Will Have Pre-Broadway Engagement In Toronto
Posted: 12/12/21 at 7:13am

I agree with Jordan this show is just wonderful, I caught it for the second time yesterday for fear Omicron might shut everything down soon and I had a smile on my face the whole time. It's just pure joy, visually spectacular and I agree the songs really work in the way they have used them (I am sure if this makes it to Broadway people here could find ways to criticise but honestly, if this was an original score I think we'd be claiming it's one of the best/most melodic/catchiest of all time). I have a bit of a prejudice against jukebox musicals but this is really special. The entire 'concept' of the show within a show is a great device for some very funny moments (in addition to the humour within the 'show' itself). 

One caution I would say is the actors really make all the difference - the first time I saw the show with a bunch of understudies (including Juliet) I thought the show was enjoyable but a little sloppy and lacked a bit of emotional honesty. However, watching it again especially with Miriam-Teak Lee it was a completely different experience. She is a very strong vocalist (I guess you can hear it from the recording), a stunning dancer and most importantly an excellent actor. A genuine triple threat. She brings so much depth to the emotion of her scenes and songs that we are 100% committed to and invested in her plights. She also has extra special 'thing', Charisma or x-factor you need in a lead/star. Without this honesty, I felt the show was kind of winking at itself and the audience (especially in the first act) too much with little depth. 

I'm not one to think that there is often a reason to transfer West End casts to Broadway because I think the greatest musical stage actors in the world are in New York City (see the Company Revival for a good example of why). However, the three actors I would want to go with the show (or hope they really can find adequate replacements) are:

* Miriam-Teak Lee as Juliet
* Cassidy Janson as Anne
* Melanie La Barrie as Nurse

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/12/21 at 07:13 AM