MJ Previews

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#175MJ Preview
Posted: 1/31/22 at 11:29pm

I saw the show again tonight and it clocked in at 2:30 exactly. Much tighter than before. The theater was actually shaking with the audience reaction, which is something i haven’t felt in so long. Seeing it again reaffirms for me that I really think it’s the strongest bio jukebox musical ever and so much of that is credit to Nottage, who just got everything right. This is one of those rare shows I’d love to go back and sit front row center for. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#176MJ Preview
Posted: 2/1/22 at 1:53am

Jordan Catalano said: "I saw the show again tonight and it clocked in at 2:30 exactly. Much tighter than before. The theater was actually shaking with the audience reaction, which is something i haven’t felt in so long. Seeing it again reaffirms for me that I really think it’s the strongest bio jukebox musical ever and so much of that is credit to Nottage, who just got everything right. This is one of those rare shows I’d love to go back and sit front row center for."

How did they tighten it up? 

Just give the world Love.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#177MJ Preview
Posted: 2/1/22 at 5:01pm

A few of the new production photos released today. The show officially opens tonight!

MJ Preview
MJ Preview
MJ Preview

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 2/1/22 at 05:01 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#178MJ Preview
Posted: 2/1/22 at 5:50pm

Love them. Thanks for sharing! 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#179MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 11:59am

I saw the show last night and…I’m not sure what to make of it. I think I enjoyed myself?

THE GOOD:

- The Choreography: The Tony is already engraved with Wheeldon’s name on it. Bar none, some of the best choreography I’ve seen in almost 200 shows over 15 years. It hit all the right MJ notes while also having its own identity.

- Myles Frost: The audience (more on them later) acted as if he was the second coming and, honestly, I’m inclined to agree. His performance is uncanny and I could definitely see him being the hot contender for a Tony himself (he makes Hugh Jackman and Rob McClure look bland by comparison).

- Ayana George: If there was a runner up for the shows’ MVP, it’s her. She can SING and also has so much depth and warmth as Katherine Jackson while easily sliding in and out of a role as a backup singer.

THE BAD:

- The Book: I guess even Lynn Nottage hits a whammy once in a while. The framing device of the documentary is so painfully awkward and definitely skirts most controversies - watering down an otherwise complicated figure with very hacky dialogue and a written characterization that makes him out to be a weirdo. Also, the cuts to flashbacks and dance numbers are so extended that it drifts away from the main thread and you forget it’s a thing until you are jarred back.

- The Song Choices: So many snippets and songs did not belong there. What was that whole “For The Love Of Money” segment? It’s not even related to MJ at all. Also, the mega mix at the end with “Black or White” and “Wanna Be Starting Somethin’” was very clunky. 

- “Thriller” - Undeniably a crowd pleaser but what the on earth was that design? It was like “Moulin Rouge From Hell”.

THE UGLY:

- The Audience: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more horribly behaved audience in my life. Obviously, I’m amenable to verbal expressions and reactions in a theatre because, well, it’s live and that’s what happens. What I’m NOT amenable to is people having whole conversations during the show AND singing along at an audible volume (somehow through a mask). Also, the cell phone use was out of control. I counted at least ten people in my section of the mezzanine filming the show and the ushers running like mad to flash their lights, only for them to resume once they left. Finally, apparently 25% of the mezzanine last night didn’t read the start time on their tickets - since people were still showing up as late as 8:30pm and were disruptive in getting to their seats. I was truly horrified by all this nonsense…

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#180MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:27pm

Myles Frost: The audience (more on them later) acted as if he was the second coming and, honestly, I’m inclined to agree. His performance is uncanny and I could definitely see him being the hot contender for a Tony himself (he makes Hugh Jackman and Rob McClure look bland by comparison).

Doesn't he? *dreamy sigh*

Also, your comment about Thriller is absolutely hilarious. Im sorry about the garbage audience, I personally didn't have a bad experience but have had friends complain a lot about audience behavior. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#181MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 12:33pm

quizking101 said: "I saw the show last night and…I’m not sure what to make of it. I think I enjoyed myself?

THE GOOD:

- The Choreography: The Tony is already engraved with Wheeldon’s name on it. Bar none, some of the best choreography I’ve seen in almost 200 shows over 15 years. It hit all the right MJ notes while also having its own identity.

- Myles Frost: The audience (more on them later) acted as if he was the second coming and, honestly, I’m inclined to agree. His performance is uncanny and I could definitely see him being the hot contender for a Tony himself (he makes Hugh Jackman and Rob McClure look bland by comparison).

- Ayana George: If there was a runner up for the shows’ MVP, it’s her. She can SING and also has so much depth and warmth as Katherine Jackson while easily sliding in and out of a role as a backup singer.

THE BAD:

- The Book: I guess even Lynn Nottage hits a whammy once in a while. The framing device of the documentary is so painfully awkward and definitely skirts most controversies - watering down an otherwise complicated figure with very hacky dialogue and a written characterization that makes him out to be a weirdo. Also, the cuts to flashbacks and dance numbers are so extended that it drifts away from the main thread and you forget it’s a thing until you are jarred back.

- The Song Choices: So many snippets and songs did not belong there. What was that whole “For The Love Of Money” segment? It’s not even related to MJ at all. Also, the mega mix at the end with “Black or White” and “Wanna Be Starting Somethin’” was very clunky.

- “Thriller” - Undeniably a crowd pleaser but what the on earth was that design? It was like “Moulin Rouge From Hell”.

THE UGLY:

- The Audience: I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more horribly behaved audience in my life. Obviously, I’m amenable to verbal expressions and reactions in a theatre because, well, it’s live and that’s what happens. What I’m NOT amenable to is people having whole conversations during the show AND singing along at an audible volume (somehow through a mask). Also, the cell phone use was out of control. I counted at least ten people in my section of the mezzanine filming the show and the ushers running like mad to flash their lights, only for them to resume once they left. Finally, apparently 25% of the mezzanine last night didn’t read the start time on their tickets - since people were still showing up as late as 8:30pm and were disruptive in getting to their seats. I was truly horrified by all this nonsense…
"

That set for "Thriller" was the cover of the "Dangerous" album and to this day I am trying to figure out why they did that. Were we supposed to get some meaning from it? Especially since they had done "Thriller" earlier in the show.

I went to the 2nd preview to hopefully avoid all of the bad audience behavior. Looks like I did. There were people filming but the ushers shut them down and threw two people out at intermission. It stopped in Act II. A few responses from audience members but not a lot. I want to see it again but I am sure, based on your comments and others, it has gotten worse and will drive me crazy!

iluvtheatertrash
#182MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 1:09pm

uncageg said: "quizking101 said: "I saw the show last night and…I’m not sure what to make of it. I think I enjoyed myself?

THE GOOD:

THE BAD:

THE UGLY:

"

That set for "Thriller" was the cover of the "Dangerous" album and to this day I am trying to figure out why they did that. Were we supposed to get some meaning from it? Especially since they had done "Thriller" earlier in the show.

I went to the 2nd preview to hopefully avoid all of the bad audience behavior. Looks like I did. There were people filming but the ushers shut them down and threw two people out at intermission. It stopped in Act II. A few responses from audience members but not a lot. I want to see it again but I am sure, based on your comments and others, it has gotten worse and will drive me crazy!

"

They didn’t do Thriller earlier. They sampled about 20 seconds of it as part of the rehearsal they’re in. Nowhere near the same as doing the full song. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#183MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 1:34pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "uncageg said: "quizking101 said: "I saw the show last night and…I’m not sure what to make of it. I think I enjoyed myself?

THE GOOD:

THE BAD:

THE UGLY:

"

"

They didn’t do Thriller earlier. They sampled about 20 seconds of it as part of the rehearsal they’re in. Nowhere near the same as doing the full song.
"

Ah, so they cut the first one. I think they should have kept the first one and cut the second time they did it. It was strange seeing it done with the the Dangerous album cover as the set.  The first time they did it, when I saw it, was closer to the video.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#184MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 3:05pm

It was weird having that teaser in Act I for sure and then the full thing in Act II out of nowhere seemingly.

It reminded me of Summer, where they just threw in “Hot Stuff” toward the end with little context other than they needed to cover that base

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

chrishuyen
#185MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 3:10pm

Yeah the full Thriller number felt like they just needed an 11 o'clock number and they just looked around and said "yes we can use that one".  The teaser in the first act also felt a little weird because they played the intro and had the graveyard scene and everything but didn't give us the actual song so it was kind of confusing.  The whole ending was a little weird tonally too with Man in the Mirror and no actual finale song (unless you count the megamix).

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I was saying to my friend that Man in the Mirror really just seemed like they needed a song for the ensemble to sing while MJ did a costume change.

iluvtheatertrash
#186MJ Previews
Posted: 2/4/22 at 8:17pm

I interpreted THRILLER's placement to be two-fold: one, the industry (his director/choreographer) is eating him alive with its demands, and two, his father will have full control over him always because of the abuse. 

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Sho-Tunes-R-Us Profile Photo
Sho-Tunes-R-Us
#187MJ Previews
Posted: 2/5/22 at 1:06am

To BoringBoredBoard40:

Goddess help them if that had been the case.   The Cirque Michael show (ONE) is waaaay too "Vegas" for NYC, plus Cirque got served by NYC critics and audiences a few years back.

Just my opinion.

Updated On: 2/5/22 at 01:06 AM

OffOnBwayHi
#188MJ Previews
Posted: 2/5/22 at 1:45am

Sutton Ross said: "Myles Frost: The audience (more on them later) acted as if he was the second coming and, honestly, I’m inclined to agree. His performance is uncanny and I could definitely see him being the hot contender for a Tony himself (he makes Hugh Jackman and Rob McClure look bland by comparison).

Doesn't he? *dreamy sigh*
"

I totally piggyback on this! When I think of bio musicals, I thought it couldn’t get any better than Adrienne Warren. Well folks, if you thought Adrienne was good, brace yourself! You ain’t seen NOTHING yet! Whew!

I hate to compare, but I agree. Myles’ performance makes Hugh and Rob look like amateur night. Am not lying.

mmh1019 Profile Photo
mmh1019
#189MJ Previews
Posted: 2/5/22 at 12:37pm

I was there last night, Myles is out this weekend and Aramie Payton was on. I thought he was FABULOUS. And the cheers he got from the rest of the cast at the end were absolutely incredible. That's a beast of a role and he was incredible. The dancing in general is unlike anything I've ever seen, and it's FULL OUT the whole time. 

I'm seeing all these posts about the audiences, and I have to agree. It was really horrible last night, people having full conversations, so many cell phones, the poor ushers. I tried not to let it take away from the experience, but it was so disappointing to be around so many people who didn't have respect for what it means to go to a Broadway show. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#190MJ Previews
Posted: 4/19/22 at 3:05pm

Are there any discount codes out there, or can someone point me to the best price point for tix?

And is Myles Frost in all performances or still splitting the role?

ElephantLoveMedley
#191MJ Previews
Posted: 4/19/22 at 3:25pm

Finally made my way to this and was shocked by how bored I was throughout the whole evening. I wasn't expecting masterpiece theatre by any stretch, but I thought it would be fun and lively and exuberant. I was hoping for a Moulin Rouge! level of entertainment and vibrance and color. But I just was so bored.

I have to blame the book and direction, I suppose. Myles Frost was pretty excellent. But I still was just found the whole thing to be completely unimpressive and unmemorable. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#192MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 8:38am

Tune in today at 1 PM for a global premiere stream of the opening number, “Beat It”, filmed live from the Neil Simon Theatre!

https://mjthemusical.com/watch/

Oh look, a bibu!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#193MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 8:39am

I am loving this new trend of shows filming and releasing live numbers from the actual theatres.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#194MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 3:49pm

Oh look, a bibu!

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#195MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 4:30pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I am loving this new trend of shows filming and releasing live numbers from the actual theatres."

Me too! And I thought this looked fantastic.  They are DANCING!!! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#196MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 4:38pm

I love that little intro upon MJ’s entrance, from “Billie Jean” to “Bad” leading into “Beat It.” 
Myles Frost sounds incredible from these first few minutes and I may consider seeing this one live because of him.

Also, give credit to Alex Nolan, who absolutely shredded the Eddie Van Halen guitar solo! She most recently worked on Jagged Little Pill (another jukebox musical featuring a character named MJ addicted to painkillers - and a band gliding on and offstage via platform). 
I look forward to hearing the rest of the score. MJ recorded their cast album about 3 months ago, and a release date has still yet to be revealed. 

Oh look, a bibu!

KevinKlawitter
#197MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 5:44pm

The choreography looked as good as I would have expected from a show like this - I just wish the actual video hasn't been so over-edited.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#198MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 5:56pm

KevinKlawitter said: "The choreography looked as good as I would have expected from a show like this - I just wish the actual video hasn't been so over-edited."

I know –– if they were trying to showcase the choreography, this video is so horribly edited and doesn't let you actually see it.

Alexander Lamar
#199MJ Previews
Posted: 5/4/22 at 6:12pm

Wow, as someone with no interest in this show (even turn down comps last weekend) that was really impressive. Anyone know if they are using sweeteners?