pixeltracker

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread- Page 24

Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread

broadfan327
#575Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/11/21 at 11:17pm

Sauja said: "You’re forgetting that Nehal Joshi isn’t white.

As to the show, I don’t think it all works, but it’s incredibly ambitious, and so even when it didn’t quite land, I loved watching it try. Give me 100 more like this rather than another Doubtfire any day.
"

Flying Over Sunset wasn't really my cup of tea, but I would rather they try works like this and miss than Broadway turning into movie adaptations or bio musical shows.

As for the projections, what do you want LCT to do, have a tank full of water on the stage during the beach scene?  I think they rightly needed projections to simulate movement in various scenes, it didn't look as cheap as the projections in Mean Girls, for instance.

JGPR2
#576Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 10:06am

"Flying Over Sunset wasn't really my cup of tea, but I would rather they try works like this and miss than Broadway turning into movie adaptations or bio musical shows."

I agree with you 100%. Give me more of shows that have original story/music and I am willing to deal with that chance these shows will miss the mark sometimes.

Jimbo2 Profile Photo
Jimbo2
#577Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 5:41pm

What's the current running time? Thank you.

"If we don't wake up and shake the nation, we'll eat the dust of the world, wondering why...why?"

Lazarus Alas Profile Photo
Lazarus Alas
#578Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 7:51pm

Jimbo2 said: "What's the current running time? Thank you."

Two hours and 45 minutes this afternoon.

CoercedBull Profile Photo
CoercedBull
#579Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 8:36pm

Lazarus Alas said: "Jimbo2 said: "What's the current running time? Thank you."

Two hours and 45 minutes this afternoon.
"

Surprised it's still that long this close to opening. I'm seeing this in a couple weeks & am very excited about it, but I wonder if it'll get cut down at all before then.

ArtMan
#580Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 8:46pm

It was two hours and 45 minutes when I saw it December 1.  If it is still that running time as of today, I think that is what you will get in a couple of weeks.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#581Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/12/21 at 9:47pm

I think they just intended to get it down to 2 hours and 45 minutes. It sounds better than three hours plus the theatre does not have to pay overtime. The same situation happened with the Moss Hart production.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#582Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/13/21 at 12:54am

NYU was giving away free tickets, so I went on Saturday! I was there with three people and all four of us liked it. Nobody LOVED it. It wasn't exceptional, but it was enjoyable. Interestingly, one of my friends was pretty infatuated with Tony Yazbeck's performance. I thought Carmen Cusack and Atticus Ware were the standouts (although everyone was good). The music was fine. I'm planning on adding "Flying Over Sunset" and "How?" to my very long Broadway playlist. Maybe the "The Music Plays On" and "Funny Money" too and probably "Rocket Ship" to occasionally have a good laugh (it was definitely the funniest and most energetic part of the show).

Also, as a side note, I was very impressed with the merch they had! They had some fun trippy-looking designs and a kalesdiscope!

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#583Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 10:42am

A HUGE thank you to TaffyDavenport and 3NU for the seating help earlier in this thread.

Saw the show last night from E 510, on the aisle and WOW what a seat. My row was level with the stage and I could’ve stood up, taken two steps and walked on. Cusack with teary eyes inches from me during ‘How?’ and lots of Yazbeck feet to go around and around. As a big boy, leg room was very tight even for an aisle since the person sitting next to me decided to stay put even though the three seats next to him were empty. He either moved or left after intermission which was a relief to my knees. The fog wasn’t a bit of a problem sight wise. There were some fans in front of the row in front of me that I believe blew the fog away just as it reached the lip of the stage - and what a beautiful scene that beach one was!

The only downside is obviously seeing backs of actors when facing away from you, actors blocking other actors, or viewing them in profile when they sit at the tip of downstage but nothing that took away from my enjoyment of the night. And a perfect view for both of Yazbeck’s big dance numbers.

I devoured this thread before choosing to buy a ticket and was a bit worried. 

-SLIGHT SPOILERS-
I would say the show has some beautiful set pictures, the beach and the heaven one, namely. Wonderful performances from the leads. One or two memorable songs but no more. I thought Act 1 flew by - and built up nicely. The act ended when you THOUGHT it was going to and not several numbers after that inclination hits you (if you know what I mean, you KNOW), and it was never a chore or overly boring to sit through. A lovely inexpensive night at the theater. Not something I’ll remember tomorrow probably, but still a nice evening.

Thank you again, you lovely people!

Updated On: 12/19/21 at 10:42 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#584Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 10:48am

Was the full cast in last night?

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#585Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 10:56am

Jordan Catalano said: "Was the full cast in last night?"

YES! not a single name on the understudy board.

Jordan Catalano
#586Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:00am

Great to hear! Thinking of going again next week so fingers crossed it stays that way!

SmoothLover
#587Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/19/21 at 11:56pm

dshnookie said: "A HUGE thank you to TaffyDavenport and 3NU for the seating help earlier in this thread.

Saw the show last night from E 510, on the aisle and WOW what a seat. My row was level with the stage and I could’ve stood up, taken two steps and walked on. Cusack with teary eyes inches from me during ‘How?’ and lots of Yazbeck feet to go around and around. As a big boy, leg room was very tight even for an aisle since the person sitting next to me decided to stay put even though the three seats next to him were empty. He either moved or left after intermission which was a relief to my knees. The fog wasn’t a bit of a problem sight wise. There were some fans in front of the row in front of me that I believe blew the fog away just as it reached the lip of the stage - and what a beautiful scene that beach one was!

The only downside is obviously seeing backs of actors when facing away from you, actors blocking other actors, or viewing them in profile when they sit at the tip of downstage but nothing that took away from my enjoyment of the night. And a perfect view for both of Yazbeck’s big dance numbers.

I devoured this thread before choosing to buy a ticket and was a bit worried.

-SLIGHT SPOILERS-
I would say the show has some beautiful set pictures, the beach and the heaven one, namely. Wonderful performances from the leads. One or two memorable songs but no more. I thought Act 1 flew by - and built up nicely. The act ended when you THOUGHT it was going to and not several numbers after that inclination hits you (if you know what I mean, you KNOW), and it was never a chore or overly boring to sit through. A lovely inexpensive night at the theater. Not something I’ll remember tomorrow probably, but still a nice evening.

Thank you again, you lovely people!
"

In an earlier post on this thread I recommended not sitting in the 50O’s because of sight line and blocking issues.  At least you were close enough to see facial expressions.

SmoothLover
#588Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 2:36am

How have the houses been as of late?

seussical93
#589Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 5:59am

was there tonight for my second time… it was MAYBE 1/4 full Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread

Jordan Catalano
#590Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 7:20am

Was the full cast in?

VintageSnarker
#591Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 9:03am

seussical93 said: "was there tonight for my second time… it was MAYBE 1/4 full Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread"

Do the ushers seem to mind people switching seats or have they been moving people closer? If it's that bad, it feels weird for people to be sitting all over the theater.

sethepstein12
#592Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 10:06am

Jordan Catalano said: "Was the full cast in?"

For the matinee, Kate Marilley was in for Laura Shoop as Maria Huxley. Everyone else was in.

Rainbowhigh23
#593Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 1:19pm

VintageSnarker said: "seussical93 said: "was there tonight for my second time… it was MAYBE 1/4 full Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread"

Do the ushers seem to mind people switching seats or have they been moving people closer? If it's that bad, it feels weird for people to be sitting all over the theater.
"

I moved from a center seat to aisle one row ahead and no usher noticed.  I was sitting right by one of the entrance tunnels in orchestra right; when Tony Yazbeck passed by in the bathing suit the view was great!

Updated On: 12/30/21 at 01:19 PM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#594Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 2:20pm

At the matinee yesterday, the usher actually encouraged discreetly moving if we wanted to!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#595Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/30/21 at 2:30pm

Going by Telecharge, there are less than 200 seats sold for tonight's performance. The theatre's capcity is 1200.

Next week looks quite a bit better, but...YIKES.

SmoothLover
#596Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 12:48am

If the sold and comp seats are all down front it makes sense that some people would not want to be sitting in a cluster and would rather sit further away from other people.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#597Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 3:18pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Going by Telecharge, there are less than 200 seats sold for tonight's performance. The theatre's capcity is 1200.

Next week looks quite a bit better, but...YIKES.
"

FOS is the only Broadway show that has a performance this evening and it has a lot of empty seats Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread... Given the craziness at Times Sq tonight, I wonder if Lincoln Center TKTS is even open for discounted tix to see FOS?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#598Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 3:19pm

And the mezz. Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#599Flying Over Sunset - Previews Thread
Posted: 12/31/21 at 3:22pm

If you can imagine, that’s more sold than when I bought last-minute tickets to last night. 

Videos