pixeltracker

Company Reviews (and beyond)- Page 10

Company Reviews (and beyond)

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#225Company reviews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:15pm

bwayphreak234 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "ashley0139 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "This afternoon, I had the absolute pleasure to attend COMPANY! Can I just say, this was one of the best and funniest shows I have ever seen! Mingling with people who have seen older versions of the show and they all said this was the best yet!! Boy were they right! Marianne Elliott has done an outstanding job taking this timeless classic by the late Stephen Sondheim and update it for today’s audiences. Everything was modernized and included modern references that today’s audiences will understand. Let’s move on to the cast. Starting off with the Queen of Broadway herself, Patti LuPone. This was the first time I’ve ever seen her on stage and boy can that woman give a performance! She’s in her 70s and can still blow audiences out of their seats! Her showstopper “Ladies Who Lunch” made my heart stop for a moment because it’s a privilege to be in the presence of Ms. LuPone! This may be her last Broadway show, so I will always treasure it!! Moving on, Matt Doyle, expertly brings the character of Jamie (formerly Amy) to life. His big number “Not Getting Married Today” made me wonder how can one sing a number at that speed. I would like to know!! The whole number in general had me laughing my head off till it hurt. Continuing, Katrina Lenk’s Bobbie (formerly Bobby) is historic as it is. She is the first woman to play this iconic bachelor, now bachelorette character. I’ve heard mixed reviews of her performance, but I think after the improvements they made, they made the role more comfortable to her to sing. Her rendition of my favorite Sondheim number “Being Alive” brought new meaning to it. The people we have lost during the pandemic made us realize that we are lucky to be alive and should enjoy life as much as possible. Lastly, the trio Andy, PJ, and Theo make the classic song “You Could Drive a Person Crazy” the best trio I’ve seen on stage! In conclusion, this show is so funny and comedy is something we ALL need right now!! If you are feeling down, then get yourself to the Jacobs Theatre on W 45th street and take an afternoon or evening enjoying some of the best comedy on Broadway this season!"

Great review Dylan... I'd like to see this one with Britney Coleman as Bobbie. I loved Katrina inThe Band's Visit(she's the sweetest as well), but based on the mixed things I've heard about her here, I think it's best to see her understudy. The show will win quite a few Tonys this year... in my book, it's a lock for Featured Actor (Doyle), Featured Actress (LuPone), Set Design, and Direction, and it will also possibly win Revival of a Musical.
"

I don’t know why you wouldn’t go and form your own opinion about Katrina before just resolving to see the understudy who you know nothing about how they perform the role.
"

I'm up for a surprise. I saw Coleman go on as an understudy for Betty Schaefer in the most recent revival ofSunset Boulevardand I know she can tackle this challenging role even though it's a completely different beast.

I have also seen video footage of Katrina in this show; I thought she looked and sounded uncomfortable most of the time as Bobbie.
"

It's called LIVE theatre for a reason. Not prerecorded YouTube footage theatre. Why don't you see the show LIVE before sounding off an opinion on an actor's performance?

I did notice once during the opening number that Katrina had a rasp in her voice. I don't know if that was just a coincidence, but she powered through it. For the rest of the show, she was on fire. Do I think they made the wrong choice casting her in this role, yes and no. I say no because Katrina is a very talented actress and she delivered the dialogue perfectly. I ONLY say yes because I did notice she had some struggles with the big numbers, but I loved how she persevered through it! That takes guts and she proved that to me! I do wish they brought Rosalie Craig over from London, but Katrina did a wonderful job in the show. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

trpguyy
#226Company reviews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:38pm

ljay889 said: "Sounds like you're referring to illegal footage, as b-roll hasn't been released yet. That type of footage is never the best example of a live performance, especially if it was from the 2020 performances."

Seriously? You're really suggesting that carefully crafted b-roll, set up and filmed with multiple takes and multi-track audio mixed in a studio, is a more accurate representation of a live performance than a video of a live performance? 
I agree that it's not fair to judge a performance in 2022 based off a bootleg of previews from almost 2 years ago, but still... b-roll is not an accurate representation of a performance, period. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#227Company reviews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:26pm

A friend said, “They’ve cast Bobbi like Desiree, but “Alive” isn’t “Clowns.” Yet: Enough people seem to feel part of this overall interpretation is rendering the cathartic epiphany as more of a meditative - ruminative - soliloquy than a sudden breakthrough defined by a power ballad vocal. She was cast for her voice, not in spite of it. I’m not defending the choice but clearly it was an artistic decision. That’s why it’s hard to untether the performance from a cascade of creative ideas. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#228Company reviews
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:27pm

"Seriously? You're really suggesting that carefully crafted b-roll, set up and filmed with multiple takes and multi-track audio mixed in a studio, is a more accurate representation of a live performance than a video of a live performance?"

I literally didn't say that at all, lol. I meant if there's no b-roll footage of the show released yet, then one must be watching a bootleg version which in my opinion is never the best representation of a live performance, especially if it's from two years ago. 

bwaybffs
#229Company reviews
Posted: 1/10/22 at 9:23pm

Just saw this production yesterday and oh was it lovely! I think we already knew this, but the cast is STACKED, and each deliver a phenomenal performance. Already planning my return to see it. Does anyone know if there are plans for a Broadway cast recording? I sure am hoping so.

Follow us on Instagram: @bwaybffs!

OhHiii
#230Company reviews
Posted: 1/11/22 at 11:44am

Those saying "I wish they had brought Rosalie over" clearly did not see her performance. Likable as she was, her delivery of the big numbers was no more forceful or belted than what Katrina is doing. She also had ZERO credibility as a New Yorker. And playing the role on Broadway, that would be an egregious error, and Marianne knew it. Otherwise, Rosalie would be in a red dress every evening at the Jacobs.

The two other Bobbies in final discussions were Heather Headley and Cassie Levy, so they clearly made a decision to go forward with Katrina for a reason, even when alternatives have "stronger" voices. And Katrina delivers. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#231Company reviews
Posted: 1/11/22 at 5:47pm

FYI: Company has the single best pricing for broadway week! Down to $20.50 for Wednesday matinees and $30.50 for evenings! 

https://www.nycgo.com/broadway-week/browse/71019 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#232Company reviews
Posted: 1/11/22 at 9:04pm

OhHiii said: "Those saying "I wish they had brought Rosalie over" clearly did not see her performance. Likable as she was, her delivery of the big numbers was no more forceful or belted than what Katrina is doing. She also had ZERO credibility as a New Yorker. And playing the role on Broadway, that would be an egregious error, and Marianne knew it. Otherwise, Rosalie would be in a red dress every evening at the Jacobs.

The two other Bobbies in final discussions were Heather Headley and Cassie Levy, so they clearly made a decision to go forward with Katrina for a reason, even when alternatives have "stronger" voices. And Katrina delivers.
"

I liked Rosalie. She had a girl-next-door appeal and reminded me of Sarah Jessica Parker. In my opinion, (as much as a love the performances) Bobbi's friends in the Broadway production are total nerds who don't seem like New Yorkers at all. I think it's a slight flaw that the extremely sexy and chic Lenk is paired with this band of dweeby squares. Rosalie was warmer and less aloof. I thought she was quite good and would have fit into the Broadway transfer just fine.

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#233Company reviews
Posted: 1/11/22 at 10:43pm

What I liked:

Patti Lupone has still got it.

"Not Getting Married" was superb.

What I didn't like:

The whole attempt at trying to update, this was a period piece full of stuff that was missing.

The choreography pales in comparison.  Side By Side had no flair.  I wanted the sixties dancing.

The boyfriends doin the song they do sucked hard.

Next time I wish the original comes back.

Stephanatic

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#234Company reviews
Posted: 1/11/22 at 10:58pm

South Florida said: "What I liked:

Patti Lupone has still got it.

"Not Getting Married" was superb.

What I didn't like:

The whole attempt at trying to update, this was a period piece full of stuff that was missing.

The choreography pales in comparison. Side By Side had no flair. I wanted the sixties dancing.

The boyfriends doin the song they do sucked hard.

Next time I wish the original comes back.

"

…literally, what?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#235Company reviews
Posted: 1/12/22 at 3:40am

The marketing of the London Company always suggested to me that Marianne Elliot’s vision of the show is more what is being shown in NYC right now. From this image I was expecting Craig to be that sexy powerful NYC woman but in reality she was as described more warm goofy girl next door innocent type. Lenk finally did it.  

Company reviews

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JasonC3
#236Company reviews
Posted: 1/12/22 at 4:13am

I love Company ... it all of its iterations, but I hardly ever spend any time thinking about whether or not the characters seem like New Yorkers.

OhHiii
#237Company reviews
Posted: 1/12/22 at 8:01am

JasonC3 said: "I love Company ... it all of its iterations, but I hardly ever spend any time thinking about whether or not the characters seem like New Yorkers."

Strange you don’t take stock in the setting of the show. The show is LITERALLY about finding love in NYC, not Florida, not the Midwest, New York City. And it’s not an accident that specificity is there, it raises the stakes. The city is very much it’s own character…Another Hundred People anyone? Lol

The London production’s shortfalls on this aspect can be metaphorically summed up by that London ad artwork. Anyone who knows New York would look at that and ask where the heck she is because the Chrysler building is certainly not in Times Square near the Red Lobster. Rosie and the rest of the Brit ensemble broke accents nearly every other line, the Brooklyn brownstone set looked straight out of suburban Connecticut and they all dressed for a day at the country club. Bobbie even came into Jamie’s apartment with a fascinator on like she was on her way to the royal wedding. That lack of authenticity hindered it, many of the original reviews mention this of the London production, albeit not so egregious to sink the concept obviously.

Updated On: 1/12/22 at 08:01 AM

JasonC3
#238Company reviews
Posted: 1/12/22 at 8:36am

I didn't say I don't notice or am unaware of New York as the setting.

I said I don't think much about whether or not the characters seem like New Yorkers, something others have called attention to in their comments.

In other words, I wasn't watching Esparza, Craig, or Lenk and thinking ... "No way are these people New Yorkers."

Nothing wrong that for others, this thought crosses their mind.  It's just not something that bothered me at all in any production I've seen. They all seemed like they could be one of "another hundred people getting off of the train" given that NYC is one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Updated On: 1/12/22 at 08:36 AM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#239Company reviews
Posted: 1/14/22 at 8:47am

jkcohen626: FYI: Company has the single best pricing for broadway week! Down to $20.50 for Wednesday matinees and $30.50 for evenings! 

https://www.nycgo.com/broadway-week/browse/71019

It also looks like additional center orchestra seats were added for the upgrade price of $125 since the sale first started. I just picked up Orch D101 & 102 for early February. These were not available when I checked on Tuesday. Now that's a good deal for premium seats!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#240Company reviews
Posted: 1/14/22 at 3:57pm

The new commercial with the recently filmed B-roll. Looks wonderful! 

https://www.instagram.com/companybway/tv/CYtyuJPJA3o/?utm_medium=copy_link

Dollypop
#241Company reviews
Posted: 1/14/22 at 4:56pm

"Deeply funny" I've never heard that phrase before.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ashley0139
#242Company reviews
Posted: 1/14/22 at 5:26pm

Leaving in the morning to fly to NYC to see this show for the 2nd time on Sunday (assuming everything goes ahead as planned) and I just can't wait to see it again. Assassins tomorrow makes it a pretty Sondheim-y weekend.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#243Company reviews
Posted: 1/15/22 at 12:07am

ashley0139 said: "Leaving in the morning to fly to NYC to see this show for the 2nd time on Sunday (assuming everything goes ahead as planned) and I just can't wait to see it again. Assassins tomorrow makes it a pretty Sondheim-y weekend."

Have a great time! My trip last week was inspired by Sondheim’s passing. Assassins on Tuesday night and Company (and Caroline, or Change) on Wednesday. All great! 

east side story Profile Photo
east side story
#244Company reviews
Posted: 1/15/22 at 7:58pm

Caught this recently. 

The production is terrific, and this cast is absolutely sublime. And I ADORED Lenk’s performance.

chrishuyen
#245Company reviews
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:16am

Went to the show tonight after having caught it in previews back in 2020 and WOW has it improved!  I had already loved the take on it before, and some of this could just be me seeing more from a second viewing but it felt like they really took a look at the book scenes and seemed to emphasize certain aspects of it to draw connections between different scenes or to lead into the songs in a way I hadn't noticed before.  Katrina Lenk sounds fantastic (I never had a problem with her before but I can't deny that she sounds much stronger now) and her Being Alive nearly brought me to tears.  Not only was it sung well, but it was the best-acted version of the song I've seen.  Matt Doyle has really upped his Jamie, adding phrasing and emoting to Getting Married Today in a way I didn't think was possible at that speed, and I think the entire night club scene works much better now.  

There was a small set malfunction where they had to hold the show for a couple minutes (right after Being Alive too!), which was funny because the last time we saw it we also had to hold for a set issue, but Katrina handled it with great aplomb, throwing a look to the audience once it got up and running again.  The audience ate it right up and were generally very responsive to the entire show.  A fantastic night of theater and I'll definitely be planning another trip back.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#246Company reviews
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:48am

Three standing Os and a set malfunction! The cast was on fire and Lenk felt more more confident to me than the night before opening.

Jeremy R Dominik
#247Company reviews
Posted: 1/16/22 at 8:07am

Was also there last night. The feeling  in the audience was electric. Has a cast recording been announced yet?  Really would love to be able to listen to this amazing cast over and over. 

fosterfan2
#248Company reviews
Posted: 1/16/22 at 12:15pm

Jeremy R Dominik said: "Was also there last night. The feeling in the audience was electric. Has a cast recording been announced yet? Really would love to be able to listen to this amazing cast over and over."

I would love a cast recording! This would be great to listen to while stuck in rush-hour traffic--the time would fly and it'd actually be fun. :)

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#249Company reviews
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:25pm

I've been told from an extremely reliable source that a cast recording is "hopeful" and being looked into. My fingers are crossed. The London album has become almost unlistenable to me. They managed to make the orchestra sound small and tinny, whereas in the Jacobs it sounds bright and full.