pixeltracker

We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:29am

I just realized it's been A DECADE since Raul was on Broadway and that's just unacceptable. It was so fantastic to see him in "Road Show" a couple years ago at for those few performances at Encores but I'd love to see him in a new musical that showcases one of the best voices we have in musical theater.  

Come back to us, Raul. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#2We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:36am

I swear to god Broadway.

Take a chance on a big huge epic frightening production of Sweeney starring Raul.

We have seen it as an intimate chamber piece several times and it's cool but - it's a scary show. People will flock to a scary show if you make it look epic enough. Give it the love we've given Les Miserables every time.

Do people not realize the Johnny Depp film is pretty popular? It's regarded as the last great Tim Burton film in recent years. If they played on that connection I think people would be game.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#3We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:37am

I need that Kennedy Center revival of CHESS with him.

I also had a Dreamcast where him and Mariska Hargitay played opposite each other in “…Virginia Woolf”, just because their crackling chemistry on SVU would lend himself to an assuredly great night of theatre.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Jordan Catalano
#4We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:38am

Oh man. When I posted this, Sweeney was the first thing that came to my mind!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#5We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:46am

Bernadette Peters Raul Esparza

IN

SWEENEY TODD

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jordan Catalano
#6We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:47am

^ I think we deserve that production. <3

adotburr
#7We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 11:56am

binau said: "Bernadette Peters Raul Esparza

IN

SWEENEY TODD
"

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease someone make this happen 

she/her . “everything’s legal in new jersey”

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:17pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Oh man. When I posted this, Sweeney was the first thing that came to my mind!"

The gays on Twitter will start saying “pop my ***** into a pie” as a thirst tweet.”

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:17pm

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#10We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:34pm

Omg can we manifest this Sweeney production in 2022!

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#11We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:48pm

He was featured on Finding Your Roots on PBS last week.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#12We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:50pm

Omg revive Taboo!!! He can still play his same part!!

BrodyFosse123
#13We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 12:51pm

Codeman109
#14We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:02pm

unclevictor said: "Omg revive Taboo!!! He can still play his same part!!"

Yes please

RevolutionaryCostume Profile Photo
RevolutionaryCostume
#15We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:10pm

I just don't understand the adoration some feel for him.  He's the Lance Bass of Broadway to me. 

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#16We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:12pm

Codeman109 said: "unclevictor said: "Omg revive Taboo!!! He can still play his same part!!"

Yes please
"

I think the show was ahead of its time (I hate that phrase) and I think if it was remounted now, at a small venue (Helen Hayes/2nd stage), it might do very well!  Raul can put some of SVU $$ into the show! 

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#17We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:20pm

Totally second a Sweeney revival with him!

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#18We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 1:22pm

Its a replacement in a long running - my favorite - show but I’d love to see him as Billy Flynn in “Chicago”

The Other One
#19We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 2:00pm

Everything else has been musicalized.  Why not Law & Order?  

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#20We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:07pm

RevolutionaryCostume said: "I just don't understand the adoration some feel for him. He's the Lance Bass of Broadway to me."

That's so funny, I feel the same way about the man in your profile picture. Weird. 

JasonC3
#21We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:48pm

Let's get both Esparza and Cerveris back and in a show together.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:49pm

I think he’s a great actor. I do not care for his singing voice. His version of Being Alive is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I know I’m in the minority. I’d love to see him in a play though. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Sutton Ross
#23We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 3:54pm

Totally agree Betty, his version is the worst I've ever heard. He's a good actor but he is making a tasty salary on SVU and there is no reason for him to leave a good gig like that. 

BrodyFosse123
#24We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 4:12pm

Sutton Ross said: "Totally agree Betty, his version is the worst I've ever heard. He's a good actor but he is making a tasty salary on SVU and there is no reason for him to leave a good gig like that."

He’s not a series regular anymore.  The last 3 seasons he’s only been in one episode per season so his schedule is open if he’s aching to go back to Broadway.  Now it’s not a financial choice but a creative one.  

Sutton Ross
#25We Need Raul Esparza Back On Broadway
Posted: 1/9/22 at 4:16pm

That's cool.