pixeltracker

How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?

How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?

Lumiere2 Profile Photo
Lumiere2
#1How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 12:50pm

I've always wanted to attend a proper opening night of a show on Broadway. But I have no idea what strategies a member of the public like me, without connections to a show or its producers, would use. I know it's possible because for years I've read about people on these boards who've done it - and if you've done this before or have any insights I'd love to know.

I live in Toronto but I've done dozens of trips to New York and have hundreds of playbills in my collection. On multiple trips, I've seen members of the public day-of get lucky and just buy tickets at the box office for unsold seats on an opening night. But is it really that easy? Does this happen often, and if so, how much do these tickets cost?

My fiancée and I are coming next to NYC in mid-April for a week, and I know there's a ton of new shows opening. How far in advance could I buy a ticket to a show just by asking? What would it cost? Can I do this a few days before? The morning of? An hour before opening - could I even GET to the box office then?

Thanks in advance for any stories, past experiences, help or advice you can offer. :)

Det95
#2How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 1:20pm

Currently tickets are on sale for the opening night of “The Minutes” on 4/17. You can buy them through Telecharge. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#3How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 1:25pm

Det95 said: "Currently tickets are on sale for the opening night of “The Minutes” on 4/17. You can buy them through Telecharge."

Yes, and discount code MIDM114 can be used on Telecharge Offers.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#4How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 1:58pm

Broadway flea market normally auctions off opening night tickets plus cast party tix but that’s in September.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#5How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 2:10pm

Also of note, unless you have the credentials, you will not be permitted on the red carpet, which is strictly for press/media coverage.  There are people who are in charge of the red carpet so they handle the publicists and clearance on who is permitted on the step & repeat.  The general public enters the lobby as usual.  Your ticket also does not entitle you to any post-Opening Night festivities, which are “invitation only” and handled by the PR agency separately and in advance.  This also applies to the Tony Awards.  

Hairspray0901
#6How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 2:36pm

Some shows also offer contests - doesn’t hurt to enter if you see one pop up! I won opening night tickets to Ghost and it came with after party passes too! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 3:32pm

If tickets are going to be on sale, that would usually happen within one week (or even less) of opening, and the seats would be at the way back of the mezz. Not every show does this, especially if they have a large cast and investor base. They'd be sold on Telecharge (or whatever the official sales channel is).

Opening Nights aren't that exciting, especially for plays. You'd probably have the most fun at the opening of a big splashy musical. It's a regular performance that will probably start late and can sometimes be a little sloppy. There is no dress code. (And shame on you if you "fan" someone or ask for pics in the lobby during the show.) Sometimes but not always, they will bring the swings and creative team on to take a bow, and someone might speak for about a minute after bows, but that all depends on the show. (Sometimes the creative team does not get up onstage –– especially nowadays if you're dealing with a mostly-white or male team.) Right before curtain call, photographers will be let in to run down the aisle and take photos of the curtain call and whatever happens after that.

Keep in mind if you are hoping to attend just for the OPENING NIGHT PLAYBILL with the sticker, that does not happen for every show. It's an added cost and some producers don't care about the sticker.

Updated On: 2/19/22 at 03:32 PM

Dollypop
#8How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/19/22 at 8:25pm

Sometimes opening night tickets are available a few days prior to the date on either TicketMaster or Telecharge. However, these seats are almost always in the rear mezz

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:58am

Bang a producer. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

hearthemsing22
#10How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 1:02am

I saw the opening night of Waitress with the OBC. (2016?). I was on Ticketmaster that morning and saw they had tickets available. 

playbills during opening week usually notate it inside on the page where it lists the show and everyone involved, but mine is from the ACTUAL opening night of the show that I attended. I did not walk the red carpet or anything-I was ushered along into the doors to the left of the theater, closer to Times Square. 

Also went to the opening night of Bandstand. Nothing special happened there. 

Dollypop
#11How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 1:39am

"I saw the opening night of Waitress with the OBC. (2016?). I was on Ticketmaster that morning and saw they had tickets available."

Wouldn't one EXPECT the OBC to perform on opening night or is there a new trend developing that I'm not aware of?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#12How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 1:51am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "If tickets are going to be on sale, that would usually happen within one week (or even less) of opening, and the seats would be at the way back of the mezz. Not every show does this, especially if they have a large cast and investor base. They'd be sold on Telecharge (or whatever the official sales channel is).

Opening Nights aren'tthatexciting, especially for plays. You'd probably have the most fun at the opening of a big splashy musical. It's a regular performance that will probably start late and can sometimes be a little sloppy. There is no dress code. (And shame on you if you "fan" someone or ask for pics in the lobby during the show.) Sometimes but not always, they will bring the swings and creative team on to take a bow, and someone might speak for about a minute after bows, but that all depends on the show. (Sometimes the creative team does not get up onstage –– especially nowadays if you're dealing with a mostly-white or male team.) Right before curtain call, photographers will be let in to run down the aisle and take photos of the curtain call and whatever happens after that.

Keep in mind if you are hoping to attend just for the OPENING NIGHT PLAYBILL with the sticker, that does not happen for every show. It's an added cost and some producers don't care about the sticker.
"

Just say you hate fun and save us the essay. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 2:24am

Dollypop said: "Wouldn't one EXPECT the OBC to perform on opening night or is there a new trend developing that I'm not aware of?"

Perhaps they were specifying the original 2016 production at the Atkinson and not the 2021 return engagement at the Barrymore...

Islander_fan
#14How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 8:56am

The only opening night I have been to was for Diana. Granted I was ushering the show but still. People who came in were all dressed up since it was (like some opening nights) invite only. I got to the party too. It was nice to hang out with co workers with good fancy catered food in an environment that wasn’t at the theatre. There were some ushers who hav worked longer than I and have done plenty of opening night shows. For them, their view point was “been there, done that.” But, it was my first one and I took full advantage of the festivities. 

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#15How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 11:02am

I've been to several, and the experience can vary from "didn't even realize something special was happening" to "every third person who walks into the house has a Tony." They tend to fall somewhere in the middle, but it depends on the show. A play at a non-profit house won't draw as many A-list theater folks as the hot new big-budget musical. But with that, it becomes more unlikely that tickets will be available to the public due to the number of people involved in the show as they all get a certain number of tickets for friends and family. The tickets that do get put on sale to the public are priced normally. (I've never seen one priced grossly differently than a normal show, but it's probably happened at some point in history.)

As others have mentioned, the red carpet and the after-party are invitation-only, and it's considered poor form to "act like a fan" and approach a guest of the show for selfies or autographs because everyone who's there is part of the family. But I think that's a rather stuffy opinion. If Bernadette goes to an Opening Night, and she goes to MANY, she knows she's going to be photographed - it's the entire reason she was invited by the press agent for the show! And it's unlikely that you would be rejected so long as you're respectful (but during COVID times, you'd have to be prepared for a denial), I see no problem with it if you were so inclined.

So, it depends on your reasons for wanting to attend to determine which show to keep an eye out for with opening night tickets showing up for sale.

If you're just wanting to attend any opening night just to do it once, there are SO many shows opening the last two weeks of April. If you plan your trip then and don't overbook yourself with commitments you can't get out of, and check every show's available tickets every day, you stand a chance! Go, enjoy the atmosphere - it's fun to walk past that press line and sit in the back row and watch Bernadette and Joel and others walk in and greet their friends, etc. Enjoy!

Updated On: 2/20/22 at 11:02 AM

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#16How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 11:29am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dollypop said: "Wouldn't one EXPECT the OBC to perform on opening night or is there a new trend developing that I'm not aware of?"

Perhaps they were specifying the original 2016 production at the Atkinson and not the 2021 return engagement at the Barrymore...
"

literally says 2016 though

veronicamae
#17How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 11:32am

Blockhead24 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dollypop said: "Wouldn't one EXPECT the OBC to perform on opening night or is there a new trend developing that I'm not aware of?"

"

literally says 2016 though
"

Is any of this really necessary? Clearly, they were just excited to have seen the original cast on opening night. Splitting hairs like this is the pettiest of petty.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:02pm

veronicamae said: "I've been to several, and the experience can vary from "didn't even realize something special was happening" to "every third person who walks into the house has a Tony." They tend to fall somewhere in the middle, but it depends on the show. A play at a non-profit house won't draw as many A-list theater folks as the hot new big-budget musical. But with that, it becomes more unlikely that tickets will be available to the public due to the number of people involved in the show as they all get a certain number of tickets for friends and family. The tickets that do get put on sale to the public are priced normally. (I've never seen one priced grossly differently than a normal show, but it's probably happened at some point in history.)

As others have mentioned, the red carpet and the after-party are invitation-only, and it's considered poor form to "act like a fan" and approach a guest of the show for selfies or autographs because everyone who's there is part of the family. But I think that's a rather stuffy opinion. If Bernadette goes to an Opening Night, and she goes to MANY, she knows she's going to be photographed - it's the entire reason she was invited by the press agent for the show! And it's unlikely that you would be rejected so long as you're respectful (but during COVID times, you'd have to be prepared for a denial), I see no problem with it if you were so inclined.

So, it depends on your reasons for wanting to attend to determine which show to keep an eye out for with opening night tickets showing up for sale.

If you're just wanting to attend any opening night just to do it once, there are SO many shows opening the last two weeks of April. If you plan your trip then and don't overbook yourself with commitments you can't get out of, and check every show's available tickets every day, you stand a chance! Go, enjoy the atmosphere - it's fun to walk pass that press line and sit in the back row and watch Bernadette and Joel and others walk in and greet their friends, etc. Enjoy!
"

That's cool you've been to several but may we ask how you were able to get opening night tickets? 

hearthemsing22
#19How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dollypop said: "Wouldn't one EXPECT the OBC to perform on opening night or is there a new trend developing that I'm not aware of?"

"

Thank you. Yes, that’s what I was implying with my comment. Although I did also see the reopening performance as well in September. 

The snark from some people on here-my god. 

hearthemsing22
#20How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:18pm

Wick3 said: "veronicamae said: "I've been to several, and the experience can vary from "didn't even realize something special was happening" to "every third person who walks into the house has a Tony." They tend to fall somewhere in the middle, but it depends on the show. A play at a non-profit house won't draw as many A-list theater folks as the hot new big-budget musical. But with that, it becomes more unlikely that tickets will be available to the public due to the number of people involved in the show as they all get a certain number of tickets for friends and family. The tickets that do get put on sale to the public are priced normally. (I've never seen one priced grossly differently than a normal show, but it's probably happened at some point in history.)

If you're just wanting to attend any opening night just to do it once, there are SO many shows opening the last two weeks of April. If you plan your trip then and don't overbook yourself with commitments you can't get out of, and check every show's available tickets every day, you stand a chance! Go, enjoy the atmosphere - it's fun to walk pass that press line and sit in the back row and watch Bernadette and Joel and others walk in and greet their friends, etc. Enjoy!
"

That's cool you've been to several but may we ask how you were able to get opening night tickets?
"

For me, it was honestly just looking on Ticketmaster or Telecharge once I knew the opening date and seeing if tickets were available! Obviously if the date isn’t there they aren’t available, but there’s no harm in checking if there’s a specific show you’re curious about! I was wondering about The Minutes pre-lockdown, and thank you to whomever told us when the opening night is because I was able to snag a ticket for that! :) 

veronicamae
#21How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:25pm

Wick3 said: "veronicamae said: "I've been to several,"

"

Sure, I work in the industry and got invited. I'm not an actor or anything, just one of the thousands of people working behind the scenes.

Updated On: 2/20/22 at 12:25 PM

hearthemsing22
#22How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 12:30pm

veronicamae said: "Wick3 said: "veronicamae said: "I've been to several,"

"

Sure, I work in the industry and got invited. I'm not an actor or anything, just one of the thousands of people working behind the scenes.
"

Unrelated to opening night tickets, but whatever you do behind the scenes, thank you, I can’t imagine it’s been easy during this time. But thank you. 

Fosse76
#23How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/20/22 at 1:09pm

Most of what everyone else has said is true.  

For the public to attend an opening night performance, the show will release tickets to sell through their relevant ticket platforms. These seats can be anywhere in the house (more likely than not in the mezz/balconies, especially if major celebrities are expected to attend), and they will be at whatever price they would cost at any other performance. 

These tickets can be released at any time prior to the opening night, but usually closer to or on the date.

Having been to over 17 opening nights, I'd say about half of them had sold tickets to the public (between musicals and plays, neither was more likely than the other). It's also true that sometimes the creatives take a bow and sometimes they don't. I don't recall any speeches being made at any of the openings I attended, but the press definitely run down the center aisles to take pictures (any video is taken from the back of the house).

The commercial productions never start on time. They usually start 15-20 minutes late. 

The after party is invite-only. Although, I have seen invitees give their party tickets away to other audience members and even staff (though staff are often already invited). 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#24How Do You Get Opening Night Tickets?
Posted: 2/21/22 at 11:37pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Bang a producer."

I almost choked on my taco.

Just give the world Love.