TAKE ME OUT Previews

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#75TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/24/22 at 1:37pm

JSquared2 said: "So you think they should play a few innings on stage instead of "talk"? Also, many playwrights are capable of writing characters in voices other than their own. Greenberg has said that Marzac is not "him"."

My point was that these baseball players stand still all the time. Have you ever met a professional athlete? That's more of a comment on the production than the text — Mantello's production clearly had more physical action to it, if you watch press clips.

And I'm sure Greenberg insists over and over that Marzac isn't him. But I don't believe him :) — no author is above self-insert, except maybe Shakespeare. If Tennessee Williams, Anton Chekhov, Tony Kushner, and Eugene O'Neill can't avoid it, why would Greenberg be able to? 

Updated On: 3/24/22 at 01:37 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#76TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/24/22 at 3:34pm

What do you suppose are the chances of this being extended? It's currently set to close just a couple of days before we arrive in NY.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 3/25/22 at 03:34 PM

MadsonMelo
#77TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/24/22 at 4:09pm

It will probably come down to this vs For Colored Girls vs Skin of Our Teeth for my last show. After so many negative comments here, I will wait for the comments on Colored/Teeth and the oficial reviews for this one to decide.

If we go by Tony chances, what would likely get nominated from this production?

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#78TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/27/22 at 6:45pm

Saw the show this afternoon. Jesse was a lot of fun, but no one can hold a candle to Denis O Hare. Jesse W was great also, as some posters said he took time to warm up. His Act 2 was great.

The others I felt they were just "acting" ...nothing real was going on; esp the guy playing Shane. 

Other wise I'm glad I saw it. I miss the obc. 

Also note, there was no ushers to help you find the seats. Everyone was a hot mess. The house manager was just running around shushing people to get out of the way. Not very good. 

Updated On: 3/27/22 at 06:45 PM

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#79TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/27/22 at 7:47pm

I also saw the play today and glad I did. To me, Oberholtzer and Adams were standouts. JTF definitely provided the comedy but having seen the original production, I still prefer O'Hare. I still remember how groundbreaking this play was back in 2003 when I was just a college student. Now in 2022, parts of the play are still relevant though it's not as groundbreaking. 

I attended the talkback afterwards and one of the questions asked was whether there were any changes in the original script. The director mentioned the cops scene near the end of the play was added and am glad they made that change.  JTF told us that during today's performance, there was a scene in his office where they fumbled 1-2 pages of lines. I didn't notice it while watching the play so kudos to them for making it work!

Dollypop
#80TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/28/22 at 10:45pm

Lot666 said: "What do you suppose are the chances of this being extended? It's currently set to close just a couple of days before we arrive in NY."

Write to them. They might be able to accommodate you.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#81TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/28/22 at 11:22pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Saw the show this afternoon. Jesse was a lot of fun, but no one can hold a candle to Denis O Hare. Jesse W was great also, as some posters said he took time to warm up. His Act 2 was great.

The others I felt they were just "acting" ...nothing real was going on; esp the guy playing Shane.

Other wise I'm glad I saw it. I miss the obc.

Also note, there was no ushers to help you find the seats. Everyone was a hot mess. The house manager was just running around shushing people to get out of the way. Not very good.
"

What do you mean there were no ushers? Was it not a Broadway house?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#82TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/29/22 at 7:48am

Dollypop said: "Lot666 said: "What do you suppose are the chances of this being extended? It's currently set to close just a couple of days before we arrive in NY."

Write to them. They might be able to accommodate you.
"

TAKE ME OUT Previews

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage
Updated On: 3/29/22 at 07:48 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#83TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/29/22 at 10:45pm

Saw it tonight.

Just didn't see all that coming and it left me breathless.

Performances all around were good. Williams was good but seemed a bit stiff or one note, but not bad. I felt he just need to get more comfortable with performing on a stage. I did not see the original but can only imagine how good O'Hare was. I think Jesse did an outstanding job. He kinda just stole your heart.

I honestly left the theater just kind of stunned and very emotional. Walking down Broadway I found myself trying to keep my emotions in check.

It takes place in the past but that really had no bearing on the story and the impact of this play. I think it is just as relevant now as it was then. 

I would see this again in a heartbeat.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/31/22 at 10:45 PM

Jilani
#84TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/29/22 at 11:41pm

Saw tonight's performance.  I agree with much of what has been said upthread: Adams was charming and entertaining, Williams took a bit of time to warm up.  I thought JTF's performance worked well, but would have loved to see Denis O'Hare's take; I can certainly imagine him being great in the role.  I agree with the poster who said the confrontation scene in Act 2 didn't work for them because Oberholtzer's characterization of Shane is somewhat childlike throughout Act 1.  I knew nothing of the plot going in besides the advertised premise, and found it to be rather outlandish.  The cast does a decent job with some pretty flawed material.  But I'm glad I went, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is at all curious about it, especially since discounted tickets seem to be available on a regular basis.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#85TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/30/22 at 2:08am

I didn't find the material to be "flawed". By the end it gave you a lot to unpack and sparked a lot of conversation afterwards. 

Just give the world Love.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#86TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/30/22 at 8:49am

If I remember correctly, there were many 20 years ago that fel the play was flawed. And that Mantello's work was so impressive because he made a good play seem truly great with such knockout and kinetic direction.

At that time, though, the main sticking point beyond the story was how the athletes spoke like intellectuals. I've been fascinated how it doesn't seem to bother people now.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#87TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 3/31/22 at 6:10pm

I wasn't bored but I wasn't all that thrilled. Never saw it before & don't think I will ever see it again. Maybe if you are a real big baseball fan you might enjoy it more? Maybe it was my seat in the last row of the theater? I didn't follow the story that well. Missed things. Kinda feeling that it wasn't made into a movie because it's just not all that great of a written work.

jkstheatrescene Profile Photo
jkstheatrescene
#88TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/1/22 at 7:25pm

Sorry if this has been asked already - I couldn't find it anywhere.

Has anyone had any experience with the digital rush for this show? Random seat locations? Front row? Sides?

Thanks!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#89TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/1/22 at 7:41pm

It's a very flawed show with a few good performances. Jesse Williams is not a stage actor, I think he just wanted to check this off his list, which is fine. Otherwise, it's fine just nothing special. Lots of availability throughout the entire run. 

Updated On: 4/1/22 at 07:41 PM

Sutton Ross
#90TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/1/22 at 7:41pm

Updated On: 4/1/22 at 07:41 PM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#91TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/2/22 at 6:44am

I'm going to do a bit of a thread jack here instead of starting a new thread... I have a ticket to see this on my May trip. I saw a very good regional production of the play years ago, so I have seen this play before. 

That being said, for those who have seen both, should I replace Take Me Out with A Strange Loop?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JasonC3
#92TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/2/22 at 7:21am

I would say that so far there is nothing revelatory from this production of Take Me Out.  So yes, if you've seen any production of Take Me Out, I'd opt for A Strange Loop, assuming what you know about that show appeals to you.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#93TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/2/22 at 8:56am

I don't recall if I posted them here, but I went back and read original reviews, off- then on Broadway. They were always mixed, problems with the play discussed in detail. My point is not to dis the fine play, only to remind those who think time alone has impacted the piece's reception. Twenty years ago there were plenty of observed issues, Brantley taking them on twice. But though I'm no Brantley defender, he was not alone. Sometimes we forget: Best Play doesn't mean everyone considered it a perfect one.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Sutton Ross
#94TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/2/22 at 11:40am

bwayphreak234 said: "I'm going to do a bit of a thread jack here instead of starting a new thread... I have a ticket to see this on my May trip. I saw a very good regional production of the play years ago, so I have seen this play before.

That being said, for those who have seen both, should I replace Take Me Out with A Strange Loop?
"

Absolutely. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#95TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/3/22 at 12:25am

I just opened this thread for the 1st time after seeing the show today. 

I had no idea what the general consensus would be of the show, but I was confident that everyone would be as impressed with Jesse Williams as I was. Imagine my surprise to see these lukewarm opinions about his performance!

I thought he was excellent - completely grounded, totally present and at ease onstage, and absolutely nailed the balance between his mysterious aura, and his moments of vulnerability. I wouldn't have known that this was his first stage performance, and frankly I thought he out-acted just about all his cast-mates, and really anchored the production overall. I expected to see discussion about him bursting into the Best Actor (or Featured Actor?) race, which I think would be well deserved.

(I feel compelled to mention that I had literally never heard of Jesse Williams before he was cast in this play, so I have no pre-existing bias in his favor) 

I'm surprised and slightly disappointed that he isn't getting the praise he (IMO) deserves, but oh well! Different strokes! Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion. 

Updated On: 4/3/22 at 12:25 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#96TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/3/22 at 2:55pm

Add me to the list of people who were very impressed by Jesse Williams. I didn't know him going into this as I don't watch Grey's Anatomy, but I thought he was fantastic. Echoing what JBroadway said - very grounded, providing the mix of swagger and vulnerability that the character requires. 

I wasn't familiar with the play going in on Wednesday afternoon and definitely didn't predict where it was going to and was shocked at each twist and turn. 

Patrick Adams was wonderful and did a great job of narrating the show and bringing us into the world of the show. Jesse Tyler Ferguson was really hilarious and I liked his growing relationship with Jesse William's character. 

One thing that really struck me about this was how this play opened in the early 2000's and how since then we've seen more out athletes and how some things have changed, but how things have definitely stayed the same. 

forgetmenot - I sat in the last row of the mezzanine and I didn't feel disconnected to the show at all, but I can see how you'd feel that way. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 4/3/22 at 02:55 PM

mar6411
#97TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/3/22 at 7:17pm

JBroadway said: "I just opened this thread for the 1st time after seeing the show today.

I had no idea what the general consensus would be of the show, but I was confident that everyone would be as impressed with Jesse Williams as I was. Imagine my surprise to see these lukewarm opinions about his performance!

I thought he was excellent - completely grounded, totally present and at ease onstage, and absolutely nailed the balance between his mysterious aura, and his moments of vulnerability. I wouldn't have known that this was his first stage performance, and frankly I thought he out-acted just about all his cast-mates, and really anchored the production overall. I expected to see discussion about him bursting into the Best Actor (or Featured Actor?) race, which I think would be well deserved.

(I feel compelled to mention that I had literally never heard of Jesse Williams before he was cast in this play, so I have no pre-existing bias in his favor)

I'm surprised and slightly disappointed that he isn't getting the praise he (IMO) deserves, but oh well! Different strokes! Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion.
"

I saw this yesterday and agree with everything here and in ClumsyDude's post.  Different strokes indeed.

MemorableUserName
#98TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/3/22 at 7:51pm

Maybe it's less different strokes and more that he's simply improved during the preview period? Ideally that's what you would hope would happen.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#99TAKE ME OUT Previews
Posted: 4/8/22 at 10:55am

On the heels of such exceptional reviews a few days ago, Take Me Out has now extended its limited engagement to June 11!

Oh look, a bibu!