pixeltracker

GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances

GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 9:49am

Anyone plan on returning to the Belasco?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#2GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 9:53am

I was invited to go to the filming Yesterday but didn't end up going. They wanted me to sit in that theatre for 5 hours! Might still try ti catch it before it closes. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#3GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 9:55am

jkcohen626 said: "I was invited to go to the filming Yesterday but didn't end up going. They wanted me to sit in that theatre for 5 hours! Might still try ti catch it before it closes."

It felt like 5 hours when I saw it.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#4GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 10:23am

Those 5 hours yesterday were incredible. The show is so special and I really do hope they’re able to defy the odds and come back strong.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#5GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 11:23am

Jordan Catalano said: "Those 5 hours yesterday were incredible. The show is so special and I really do hope they’re able to defy the odds and come back strong."

You went? What took 5 hours? Was it just very stop-and-go or did they do the show multiple times? 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 11:26am

jkcohen626 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Those 5 hours yesterday were incredible. The show is so special and I really do hope they’re able to defy the odds and come back strong."

You went? What took 5 hours? Was it just very stop-and-go or did they do the show multiple times?
"

It took 5 hours because they were filming a proshot.

Oh look, a bibu!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 11:35am

EDSOSLO858 said: "jkcohen626 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Those 5 hours yesterday were incredible. The show is so special and I really do hope they’re able to defy the odds and come back strong."

"

It took 5 hours because they were filming a proshot.
"

Pro-shots are always filmed in 3 days, never one which is why they asked.  Pro-shots film 2 performances with an audience (full performance with no stopping), then one day without an audience (this is for close-ups and onstage footage).  The final cut that ends up as the pro-shot performance is edited using footage from all 3 filmed performances. 

Jordan Catalano
#8GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 11:45am

They said they had filmed the show the prior 3 days and this was the last one they were doing with a full audience.
Yesterday was the full show and then a long break while they reset the cameras to focus on the audience and do some pickup shots from different segments of songs, where audience would be seen. So with all of the stopping and starting and resetting of that second part of the day, that’s what made it that long.  

OffOnBwayHi
#9GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 1:08pm

I'm going tonight.

This one actually slipped under my radar. I was not thinking about it, but my friend from out of town wants to see, so that's that. I'm actually sort of excited and curious.

Can't believe this will be the THIRD opening it has had... What a time for Broadway, but that show in general. lol

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#10GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 6:05pm

Sign on the window says: the North Country is back open!

Tonight, the Bob Dylan tuner Girl From the North Country kicks off one last Broadway limited engagement at the Belasco Theatre, through June 11 only. Craig Bierko joins the principal cast as Mr. Burke. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts later tonight on your trip to Duluth, OffOnBwayHi. 

Oh look, a bibu!

tomwsjr
#11GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/29/22 at 6:21pm

In my opinion this is the best musical of 2022, and the Belasco is the perfect theatre for this beautiful production. 

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#12GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/30/22 at 9:12am

Will be seeing the show this afternoon.  

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#13GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/30/22 at 9:13am

Will be seeing the show this afternoon.  

BorisTomashevsky
#14GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/30/22 at 12:50pm

(Apologies for any formatting issues, this website is hard to write on no matter what mobile browser you’re using.) I was there last night for the re-opening - my third time, so like many above, I was already a lover of the show. My previous two times had been lottery wins and were both second row centre. Last night was mid orchestra, slightly left, with a wider view - so now I understand what people mean when they say it’s a perfect match of show & theatre. It really does look superb in that Belasco architecture.
Sitting farther back also allowed me to see the crowd getting into it/recognizing songs/understanding moments etc. So that was a bonus. It seemed like a full orchestra and full mezzanine, and maybe even a few people in the balcony. There was some movement up there/people peeking over the edge.

The audience was onboard from the get go. Applause during the “welcome back to Broadway” announcement, applause after “this performance will be conducted by”, applause again after “enjoy the show”, and another applause during the blackout when musicians and actors were walking into place. It was a wonderful energy and the exact welcome the company, the show, the producers, and the ghost of Belasco deserved.

In fact, applause was jammed in after every song until and including Duquesne Whistle. During the initial enthusiasm, I had thought “oh everyone here knows the show.” But then after every number’s abrupt end and over dialogue that followed, they applauded loud and clear by hook or by crook. So maybe most didn’t have knowledge of the “we don’t want to you applaud yet” motif.

The cast was excellent as always. My first time seeing Jeannette as Mrs Neilsen, as I’d had Chelsea both earlier times. ***Possible Spoiler*** Both ladies are brilliant, but I prefer Chelsea’s “gentler” overall character who then comes to Elizabeth’s defense in act two with a surprise strength. With Jeanette, she walked in and you already knew she was going to deal with the reverend.

Craig Bierko was quite different and effective in his own way. There’s a levity and jokester aspect to his Mr Burke, and therefore he’s quite unassuming. He also didn’t have a knife for the fishing rod scene with the reverend. Whether this was a missing prop or a choice to lessen the danger of the character by not having a knife, I don’t know. Still, all these points overall made the act two revelation even more jarring and surprising. You think, “shirt, he did that?” with Craig as opposed to “oh sure, I can see him doing that now” with Marc. And it was even more moving to see that a father could be driven to taking that step. ***End spoilers***

I know I’m in the wrong thread, but regarding the pro-shot: one of the producers of the show is the creator of Survivor, and has a history in TV. I’m guessing that’s where the money came from. And maybe some cash from Bob Dylan himself? Just a guess. But I think this will end up released, and put together very very well. Hopefully it’s soon.

Meanwhile, get to the Belasco if you can. The only thing better than seeing a screening of this beautiful show is seeing it live in person. Moving, surprising, challenging, and brilliantly creative.

Updated On: 4/30/22 at 12:50 PM

OffOnBwayHi
#15GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/30/22 at 2:49pm

OMG… What a beautiful show!

Saw it last night and looooooooved!

This show deserves so much more conversation smh

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#16GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 4/30/22 at 6:09pm

Saw it three times, including the “closing” matinee. My feelings for the piece are mysterious - its emotional wallop isn’t easily explainable - and I love this company. Glad to hear Bierko has scored in one of the most challenging roles. I may have to return. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

ASOOS04
#17GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 8:38am

Far and away, hands down the best show running in NYC right now. It’s power cannot be understated for me. I think it is as close to perfection as theatre can get. I attended the live capture and while the moments designed to garner an emotional response certainly did, I found myself watching other moments, be them joyful, dangerous, funny etc. and my eyes tearing and a lump growing in my throat as I thought to myself that this show reaffirms why I love theatre so wholly and deeply. I have seen it 4 times with plans for a 5th. I am thrilled about the pro-shot capture because I just can’t imagine how I will ever let this one go. I certainly won’t in my memory, but the more tangible way to keep it in my life, the better. 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#18GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 9:32am

I would be so thrilled if, by some miracle, Kimber Elayne Sprawl got a Featured Actress Tony nom. Her “Tight Connection…/Has Anybody Seen My Love” was one of my favorite musical moments of this past season. She’s phenomenal. 

JVJ93
#19GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 9:36am

ASOOS04 said: "Far and away, hands down the best show running in NYC right now. It’s power cannot be understated for me. I think it is as close to perfection as theatre can get. I attended the live capture and while the moments designed to garner an emotional response certainly did, I found myself watching other moments, be them joyful, dangerous, funny etc. and my eyes tearing and a lump growing in my throat as I thought to myself that this show reaffirms why I love theatre so wholly and deeply. I have seen it 4 times with plans for a 5th. I am thrilled about the pro-shot capture because I just can’t imagine how I will ever let this one go. I certainly won’t in my memory, but the more tangible way to keep it in my life, the better."

Well said. To me, GFTNC is the best musical on Bway since Fun Home. Hands down. The theatrical alchemy used in this show is unparalleled. Really hope it gets the love it deserves from the nominating committee. In my opinion, Saunders/Winninghan/Mason/Sprawl/Bayardelle should all be nominated for their work 

OffOnBwayHi
#20GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 10:34am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "I would be so thrilled if, by some miracle, Kimber Elayne Sprawl got a Featured Actress Tony nom. Her “Tight Connection…/Has Anybody Seen My Love” was one of my favorite musical moments of this past season. She’s phenomenal."

100% agree and hope! Very special moment! Ugh 

willep
#21GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 10:44am

I, too, think she 100% deserves a nomination. Her performance of “Tight Connection/Has Anybody Seen My Love” is just stunning. One of the best performances I’ve seen, and I won’t even qualify that with “this season”. Both times I’ve seen it (via lottery and for the pro shot) I’ve been sat in the first couple rows by the house right aisle, an amazing seat for both that song and for her and “Idiot Wind” in Act two, where tears are just streaming down her face.

Jordan Catalano
#22GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 10:51am

Kimber MUST get a nomination. If she doesn’t, we should absolutely riot. 

kwoc91
#23GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/1/22 at 11:17am

I ADORE this show. I saw it from the front row during its previous "closing" weekend (which was my 3rd time seeing it). I really hope it gets some Tonys love and wins over some new audiences during this run. I need to make sure I catch it at least one more time!

OffOnBwayHi
#24GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/2/22 at 1:01am

Auggie27 said: "Saw it three times, including the “closing” matinee. My feelings for the piece are mysterious - its emotional wallop isn’t easily explainable - and I love this company."

Same! It is a mysterious show. But isn't that like Dylan's music?

Speaking of:

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Who is the father of Marianne's baby? From the text, Marianne makes it sound like she's the Virgin Mary and the baby just appeared one day. I'm here for the subtle supernatural tea, if so. The show is truly magick!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#25GIRL (Returns) FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY Performances
Posted: 5/2/22 at 8:24am

I saw the London "remounting" cast when they played Toronto, and I don't know if I could have disliked this more. I will say that I will give the proshot a watch, to see if maybe a different cast changes things, but glad to hear it is being welcomed back to NY

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone