pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22- Page 2

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 3:34pm

Oh that's exciting! I mean, it's a great role for a woman of a certain age. Not much stage time, but you get a kick ass song. 

SueFB
#26Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 3:38pm

The Music Man's attendance was over 100%, confirming what somebody posted elsewhere that the SRO ticket policy they announced yesterday must have started last week. The average ticket price for the show was down from the previous week (presumably as a result, at least in part), as were total revenues, despite the increased attendance. 

Many people have wondered who on earth would pay $76 to stand. I'm guessing it's largely people who happen to be in town for a day or two who just want to "take in a show" and visit the box office to see if by chance anything is available. Given the likely options of $599 prime seats or $199 for a distant or partial view (or rushing), perhaps $76 to stand and see a spectacle that's only going to be around this year makes sense for some. Or they can always check out another show, if not. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#27Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 4:12pm

JSquared2 said: "There are already 3 LuPone replacements lined up -- each with box office clout -- for short engagements (should the show still be running)."

You love to hear it. Would you like to provide any hints??? And do any of the ladies' names rhyme with Sistine Paranski? Because she's been my dream Joanne for a while.

OhHiii
#28Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 4:16pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "JSquared2 said: "There are already 3 LuPone replacements lined up -- each with box office clout -- for short engagements (should the show still be running)."

You love to hear it. Would you like to provide any hints??? And do any of the ladies' namesrhyme with Sistine Paranski? Because she's been my dream Joanne for a while.
"

Christine has indeed at least been discussed. Along with Sara Bareilles as a potential Bobbie. And I. Would. Pass. Away.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#29Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 4:36pm

I would fly to NYC, pay for a hotel, and a premium ticket to see Sarah B sing that role. Dreams. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#30Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 4:52pm

Sistine Paranski is my dream replacement in that role. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#31Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 4:54pm

OhHiii said: "Christine has indeed at least been discussed. Along with Sara Bareilles as a potential Bobbie. And I. Would. Pass. Away."

That duo would be too good to be true. Though if ITW moves, it feels highly unlikely that SB would jump to replace in another show. (And classic caveat that everyone is "discussed"...but still we can dream!)

I actually think Baranski would be quite a draw, at least for a limited (6-12 week) run. She's at an all-time high in terms of name value, she hasn't been on Broadway in 14 years, no New York musicals since On Your Toes at Encores, and the core Baranski audience is ideal for full-priced Broadway sales.

I believe she was supposed to do a revival of HAY FEVER (another good fit for her) a few years ago at Roundabout that got scrapped when GOOD FIGHT got picked up.

Updated On: 5/17/22 at 04:54 PM

JasonC3
#32Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 5:08pm

RippedMan said: "Oh that's exciting! I mean, it's a great role for a woman of a certain age. Not much stage time, but you get a kick ass song."

One of the things that has impressed me about Lupone's performance (and quite frankly, surprised me a bit) is how she is such an active and committed ensemble member whenever she is on stage, making her presence felt far beyond her big number. This was true in London as well.

Bwayornoway
#33Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 5:31pm

Anyone know why the big drop in Moulin Rouge?  I saw they only had 4 performances and dropped over $1 million - was it covid cancellations or cast replacements?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#34Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 5:39pm

Bwayornoway said: "Anyone know why the big drop in Moulin Rouge? I saw they only had 4 performances and dropped over $1 million - was it covid cancellations or cast replacements?"

The former.

Oh look, a bibu!

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#35Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 8:36pm

I would diiieee for Baranski even more so than seeing Patti.

This convo has me wondering which stars will start leaving shows first following the Tonys..Patti and Katrina have both been in that role for a long time so I’m gonna assume they will both dip. Same with all of the girls from Six. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#36Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 8:47pm

You didn’t hear it from me, but there have been some active conversations with Meryl’s people for her to step into Company for a month or 2 in the fall…

hearthemsing22
#37Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 9:26pm

bdn223 said: "You didn’t hear it from me, but there have been some active conversations with Meryl’s people for her to step into Company for a month or 2 in the fall…"

NO. WAY. Seriously???! 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#38Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 9:28pm

I need receipts 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#39Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 9:34pm

bdn223 said: "You didn’t hear it from me, but there have been some active conversations with Meryl’s people for her to step into Company for a month or 2 in the fall…"

I’ve read A LOT of BS on this board. But OOF.

Updated On: 5/17/22 at 09:34 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 9:39pm

Manage expectations, folks... Meryl gets offered dozens of stage projects each year and has always declined with the exception of rare appearances at the Public and/or with Mike Nichols. That it even went beyond a straight "no" is pleasantly surprising, but I am personally of the mind that I will never see Meryl act onstage.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#41Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 9:55pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "bdn223 said: "You didn’t hear it from me, but there have been some active conversations with Meryl’s people for her to step into Company for a month or 2 in the fall…"

Manage expectations, folks... Meryl gets offered dozens of stage projects each year and has always declined with the exception of rare appearances at the Public and/or with Mike Nichols. That it even went beyond a straight "no" is pleasantly surprising, but I am personally of the mind that I will never see Meryl act onstage.
"

Hmm, agree with the former, disagree with the latter. I think the right project will come along, and Meryl will make a grand return when she’s in her late 70s or early 80s a la Glenda Jackson. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#42Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 10:02pm

Having a star of Streep's caliber in a role like Joanne would not serve the production very well. It would make the show about Joanne.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#43Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 10:08pm

You didn’t hear it from me but Julia Roberts and George Clooney might step into “Hadestown” as Orpheus and Eurydice for a few months.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#44Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 10:08pm

Kad said: "Having a star of Streep's caliber in a role like Joanne would not serve the production very well. It would make the show about Joanne."

Very that - and it would be very hard for her to blend into the ensemble. Patti, star that she is, can still manage to blend well into the ensemble bits and parts (including the toilet gag in Tick Tock). I can’t see Meryl doing that at all.

Baranski, though, I would sell many organs for.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#45Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 10:19pm

quizking101 said: "Kad said: "Having a star of Streep's caliber in a role like Joanne would not serve the production very well. It would make the show about Joanne."

Very that - and it would be very hard for her to blend into the ensemble. Patti, star that she is, can still manage to blend well into the ensemble bits and parts (including the toilet gag in Tick Tock). I can’t see Meryl doing that at all.

Baranski, though, I would sell many organs for.
"

Baranski would be amazing! Could be a chance for Bernadette to check another Sondheim off the list as this might be the last chance for her to play this role on broadway. Megan Mullally??? We know she plays a drunk very well and can land a laugh. 

jo
#46Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 10:55pm

SueFB said: "The Music Man's attendance was over 100%, confirming what somebody posted elsewhere that the SRO ticket policy they announced yesterday must have started last week. The average ticket price for the show was down from the previous week (presumably as a result, at least in part), as were total revenues, despite the increased attendance.

Many people have wondered who on earth would pay $76 to stand. I'm guessing it's largely people who happen to be in town for a day or two who just want to "take in a show" and visit the box office to see if by chance anything is available. Given the likely options of $599 prime seats or $199 for a distant or partial view (or rushing), perhaps $76 to stand and see a spectacle that's only going to be around this year makes sense for some. Or they can always check out another show, if not.
"

The increased attendance but with a decline in  avg ticket price could be due to possible comp tickets to Tony voters who need to check out or recheck the show again?

Someone I know had asked  CService the other day if the spot next to a wheelchair spot is being offered as an SRO place but was told that it was not  (and Cust Service did not offer an SRO seat)... so, I am not sure which seats at the back were sold as SRO last week.

It is going to be interesting to see if people at the RUSH line will immediately go to the SRO line if Rush tickets run out?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#47Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 11:22pm

jo said: "I am not sure which seats at the back were sold as SRO last week.”

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your implication, but they don’t remove seats for SRO. The audience leans against the railing at the back of the house, behind all the seats. And there’s a designated, numbered spot along the railing for each audience member. 

It is going to be interesting to see if people at the RUSH line will immediately go to the SRO line if Rush tickets run out?"

I’m guessing that will be the case for most days, especially weekends. But some days they might get unlucky and end up having some scattered seats available, in which case they’d have to wait until all the seats are sold (some theatres are a little looser about this rule, but this doesn’t strike me as one of those cases).

jo
#48Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/17/22 at 11:30pm

JBroadway said: "jo said: "I am not sure which seats at the back were sold as SRO last week.”

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding your implication, but they don’t remove seats for SRO. The audience leans against the railing at the back of the house, behind all the seats. And there’s a designated, numbered spot along the railing for each audience member.

It is going to be interesting to see if people at the RUSH line will immediately go to the SRO line if Rush tickets run out?"

I’m guessing that will be the case for most days, especially weekends. But some days they might get unlucky and end up having some scattered seats available, in which case they’d have to wait until all the seats are sold (some theatres are a little looser about this rule, but this doesn’t strike me as one of those cases).
"

Yes, the person I know was told that the spot next to a wheelchair spot cannot be SRO. I just thought CService could have offered her any of the SRO spots, if any was available. Maybe the SRO seats were already sold out at that point if they had already been on sale then? I understand there have been a number of inquiries about SROs though.

Ke3
#49Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 5/15/22
Posted: 5/18/22 at 1:58am

Jordan Catalano said: "You didn’t hear it from me but Julia Roberts and George Clooney might step into “Hadestown” as Orpheus and Eurydice for a few months."

Okay but did you hear about Waitress doing another return engagement with Beyoncé and Gaga alternating performances? Barry and Fran are just waiting to hear back from Blue Ivy before they send the press release. Shhhh, this is all hush hush of course.