pixeltracker

"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday- Page 2

"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#25"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/27/22 at 11:57pm

TotallyEffed said: "Cynthia Nixon was given a lot of airtime because she’s extremely perceptive and has a fantastic eye for the theatre.

She is a true lover of the theatre and I love when she’s given the opportunity to showcase that.
"

This wasn’t a dig. I love Cynthia Nixon. It just confused me as to why she had so much camera time when, as far as I know, she doesn’t have a solid connection to Company. Right? There are many celebrities who are champions of theater…it just made me wonder how she became attached is all

Ravenclaw
#26"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:28am

Enjoyable documentary, even if most of the stories have been told many times before. However, I've gotten really frustrated by all the people pushing autobiographical reads of Sondheim's work. He so frequently shot those down ("The only autobiographical song I've ever written was 'Opening Doors'" when he was alive, and I wish people would respect his wishes and not project his characters onto his own life.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#27"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:43am

Ravenclaw said: "Enjoyable documentary, even if most of the stories have been told many times before. However, I've gotten really frustrated by all the people pushing autobiographical reads of Sondheim's work. He so frequently shot those down ("The only autobiographical song I've ever written was 'Opening Doors'" when he was alive, and I wish people would respect his wishes and not project his characters onto his own life."

I only take exception when people present their perceptions about potential autobiographical threads in his songs as fact when that is merely speculation.

I hold my own feelings, but I'd never present them as fact. I'd refer someone to his own biblical texts on his work and work and process.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

inception Profile Photo
inception
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:03am

Has any other show ever before in history so blatantly campaigned for a Tony like this?  I get that they must feel quite threatened that Music Man might take Best Revival...but a 90 minute advertorial broadcast coast to coast to remind voters about the show?

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 01:03 AM

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#29"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:09am

I don’t see why they’d feel threatened by Music Man. The only thing that production has going for them over Company is star power.

JasonC3
#30"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:09am

Seeing all the pro shot from the revival, I was reminded more of the set design similarity (in terms of the boxes framed in neon) with Angels in America than it struck me during the actual production.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#31"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 8:13am

WOW. Just WOW. This was just a stunning documentary. I loved every second.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Synecdoche2 Profile Photo
Synecdoche2
#32"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 8:59am

Ravenclaw said: "Enjoyable documentary, even if most of the stories have been told many times before. However, I've gotten really frustrated by all the people pushing autobiographical reads of Sondheim's work. He so frequently shot those down ("The only autobiographical song I've ever written was 'Opening Doors'" when he was alive, and I wish people would respect his wishes and not project his characters onto his own life."

Every author continuously writes autobiographically, whether they intend to or not. In fact, one of the surest signs that an author is writing himself as a character is an insistence that the character is not the writer.

Either way, now that the man is dead, it's inevitable that we're going to start talking about how much his characters were really versions of himself (Bobby, George, The Baker, etc.) or his mother. I don't think it's disrespectful to the author, because that's what happens to all of the greats when they pass on.

As for this documentary, it had some great footage but was pretty shapeless overall. The new Company remains fabulous, though.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#33"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 9:22am

Bill Snibson said: "TotallyEffed said: "Cynthia Nixon was given a lot of airtime because she’s extremely perceptive and has a fantastic eye for the theatre.

She is a true lover of the theatre and I love when she’s given the opportunity to showcase that.
"

This wasn’t a dig. I love Cynthia Nixon. It just confused me as to why she had so much camera time when, as far as I know, she doesn’t have a solid connection to Company. Right? There are many celebrities who are champions of theater…it just made me wonder how she became attached is all
"

Sorry, I know you weren’t digging! I was just impressed after she did Watch What Happens Live and then again last night…she really knows her stuff.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#34"Keeping Company with Sondheim" Documentary streaming this friday
Posted: 5/28/22 at 9:32am

Amazing. (I share bwayphreak234's emotion).

One moment I particularly enjoyed comes about 40 minutes in. Patti LuPone is speaking re: how much more poignant the text is for Bobbie as a woman vs. Bobby as a man. 

What captured my visual attention in the frame were the items on Patti LuPone's mirror. All are viewable, but somewhat lacking in detail (a bit out of focus). For example, there's a calendar, a QR code for digital sign-in (call sheet), a yellow-ish note that looks to be hand-written (but unreadable). There's also the crucifix from a rosary visible in the upper right of frame.

...and then there's a full sheet, printed in horizontal mode (it looks to be the same size as the unreadable calendar on the left side of the mirror). The text reads: "Every now and then I'm brought up short by realizing what a wonderful singer you are. That's apart from the acting and performing and the attention to detail. In any event, I just felt I had to put it in print. Thank you for enhancing my shows - and everyone else's, for that matter. Love, Steve".

This page was definitely meant to be noticed, seen and read (even from a distance). The font is HUGE. Unlike the yellow-ish note, time was specifically taken to recreate the text from its original source, to its larger, much more noticeable format. It's the most prominent item in the frame; even larger than the crucifix, or the reflection of Ms. LuPone's face in the mirror.

There are many possibilities re: the "whys" of its existence in that specific format, but I love, love, LOVE the inclusion of that very minor (albeit prominent) item. That kind of detail enhances a perception of who Patti LuPone is, as a person.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:08pm

TotallyEffed said: "Cynthia Nixon was given a lot of airtime because she’s extremely perceptive and has a fantastic eye for the theatre.

"

At first I was like, "Why so much Cynthis?" And then i was like, "Wow, I just want more of her discussing theatre, this show and in general."

Also, I was just reflecting on the documentary and how they tried to tie it to Sex and the City...when you think about it, Bobbie is kind of a Miranda! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Dollypop
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:24pm

I like Lin-Manuel Miranda but must help up in every theater-oriented documentary?

He fit into this one a bit better than he did in that documentary about FIDDLER ON THE ROOF.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:32pm

Can Cynthia just replace Patti? 

Just finished watching this this morning. Beautifully done and deconstructed. Especially the breakdown of BEING ALIVE. Notice how they was no mention of the first revival of the show(1995?). With Sondheim now passed on, I do wonder if down the line we'll get the gay Bobby/Bobbi version at some point. Sondheim didn't approve of a proposed version years ago, so whoever is in charge of his material would have to okay it.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TotallyEffed
Posted: 5/28/22 at 12:34pm

everythingtaboo said: "TotallyEffed said: "Cynthia Nixon was given a lot of airtime because she’s extremely perceptive and has a fantastic eye for the theatre.

"

At first I was like, "Why so much Cynthis?" And then i was like, "Wow, I just want more of her discussing theatre, this show and in general."

Also, I was just reflecting on the documentary and how they tried to tie it to Sex and the City...when you think about it, Bobbie is kind of a Miranda!
"

Rosalie Craig’s performance felt very much inspired by Sarah Jessica Parker when I saw it in London.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:08pm

John Adams said: "Amazing. (I share bwayphreak234's emotion).

One moment I particularly enjoyed comes about 40 minutes in. Patti LuPone is speaking re: how much more poignant the text is for Bobbie as a woman vs. Bobby as a man.

What captured my visual attention in the frame were the items on Patti LuPone's mirror. All are viewable, but somewhat lacking in detail (a bit out of focus). For example, there's a calendar, a QR code for digital sign-in (call sheet), a yellow-ish note that looks to be hand-written (but unreadable). There's also the crucifix from a rosary visible in the upper right of frame.

...and then there's a full sheet, printed in horizontal mode (it looks to be the same size as the unreadable calendar on the left side of the mirror). The text reads: "Every now and then I'm brought up short by realizing what a wonderful singer you are. That's apart from the acting and performing and the attention to detail. In any event, I just felt I had to put it in print. Thank you for enhancing my shows - and everyone else's, for that matter. Love, Steve".

This page was definitely meant to be noticed, seen and read (even from a distance). The font is HUGE. Unlike the yellow-ish note, time was specifically taken to recreate the text from its original source, to its larger, much more noticeable format.It's the most prominent item in the frame; even larger than the crucifix, or the reflection of Ms. LuPone's face in the mirror.

There are many possibilities re: the "whys" of its existence in that specific format, butI love, love, LOVE the inclusion of that very minor (albeit prominent) item. That kind of detail enhances a perception of who Patti LuPone is, as a person.
"

I feel a deeper connection to LaLuPone knowing that we use the same brand of contact lens solution and Gold Bond moisturizer. 

CarlosAlberto
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:15pm

But on a serious note I did like the documentary but had one minor quibble.

They cited that Company in 1970 captured the vibe of NYC back then with its contemporary sound totally ignoring the fact that Promises, Promises did it first in 1968. Company even “borrowed” the idea of using pit singers to enhance the sound from Promises - not to mention Bennett and McKechnie as well. 

Those stills of McKechnie in her negligee dancing the “Tick Tock” number were stunning.

Also, all the footage of dirt grimy 70s NYC brought back so many memories!

TotallyEffed
Posted: 5/28/22 at 1:53pm

I’ve always had a slight issue when Sondheim claimed that Company reinvented the form, fusing revue and traditional book musical. But didn’t Hair pretty much do that a few years before?

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 01:53 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:33pm

Well I saw this and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too infomerical-ish for my tastes. I'd rather have had more rehearsal and creative process footage, and less talking heads.

CarlosAlberto
Posted: 5/28/22 at 2:44pm

TotallyEffed said: "I’ve always had a slight issue when Sondheim claimed that Company reinvented the form, fusing review and traditional book musical. But didn’t Hair pretty much do that a few years before?"

Yes - I would agree. And although I love Company and it is a very important show it’s legacy tends to be a tad over-inflated IMO

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
Posted: 5/28/22 at 3:55pm

I've always loved Barbara Barrie's huge sunglasses in the original doc

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Posted: 5/28/22 at 4:14pm

wiggum2 said: "I've always loved Barbara Barrie's huge sunglasses in the original doc"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
Posted: 5/28/22 at 4:14pm

cheeky

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 04:14 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
Posted: 5/28/22 at 4:31pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well I saw this and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too infomerical-ish for my tastes. I'd rather have had more rehearsal and creative process footage, and less talking heads."

I agree. I mean it’s great to have this record but ultimately I feel it was kind of oriented for a wider audience than ideal. I personally feel I don’t need the history of Company and various clips from footage already available. I’d rather they go into more details about this specific production. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
Posted: 5/28/22 at 4:40pm

binau said: "poisonivy2 said: "Well I saw this and was a bit disappointed. I thought it was too infomerical-ish for my tastes. I'd rather have had more rehearsal and creative process footage, and less talking heads."

I agree. I mean it’s great to have this record but ultimately I feel it was kind of oriented for a wider audience than ideal. I personally feel I don’t need the history of Company and various clips from footage already available. I’d rather they go into more details about this specific production.
"

As much as I enjoyed this, I would have loved for this to focus more on the current production as well. 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
Posted: 5/28/22 at 5:11pm

It airs tomorrow on our PBS. Looking forward to it. I will say having seen the original doc as well as other footage of Sondheim with actors over the years I wonder how he truly felt about Lenk (esp at the beginning of the run) and Doyle. He seems very exacting about how he would like his music sung.

Lenk is delivering a moving performance, fully realized on an emotional level. However, Being Alive is so different and lacking power and money notes.

And as far as Doyle, I enjoyed him but I’ve never heard Not Getting Married slowed down more. The song has always felt like a ticking time bomb to me. Sondheim pressed Howland to the point she couldn’t breath. Doyle is doing all sorts of mugging, hand wringing and such. The audience clearly enjoyed it and he’s a front runner for the Tony. I just thought his interpretation was too big and slow but maybe that’s why people like it. It’s a reinvention. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos