pixeltracker

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31- Page 62

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1525Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:06pm

mememe said: "FranklinDickson2018 said: "Just finished watching the Birdland concert with Julie Benko and her husband Jason Yaeger.

I can't find enough superlatives to describe it . If folks would hear her sing -- I think all this nonsense about "Eve Harrington" would just go away. Julie is simply a marvelously talented singer and actress --- and judging from her onstage persona --- a warm caring person. Her rapport with the audience was great. The warmth is what I miss completely in Lea Michele. But that is just my opinion. How many of those calling out "Eve Harrington" have even heard Julie perform? She is (in my opinion) probably without equal in the world of female vocalists today. And her husband is a brilliant pianist. I expect more great things from them. Interestingly Julie sang "Second Hand Rose" tonight and it was a charmer!

And this article in Today pretty much conveys her persona.https://www.today.com/popculture/popculture/julie-benko-funny-girl-understudy-rcna44857
"

The girl has a nice voice and all but she’s giving a serviceable cover level performance in Funny Girl. Perhaps when she is able to create a role from scratch, she will shine but there is nothing unique and special happening other than she can sing the notes, unlike Feldstein. That Bryant Park performance is like a high schooler with a good voice
"

A lot of the praise for Benko is rooted in hostility towards Beanie. It's isn't fair to either performer. I do hope Benko gets a chance to shine in a role of her own. 

He replied
#1526Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:26pm

The girl has a nice voice and all but she’s giving a serviceable cover level performance in Funny Girl. Perhaps when she is able to create a role from scratch, she will shine but there is nothing unique and special happening other than she can sing the notes, unlike Feldstein. That Bryant Park performance is like a high schooler with a good voice"

Yes. Exactly. And I’ve actually seen the performance. (Not just an armchair quarterbacked youtube critic.)

serviceable. Not broadway lead performance in one of the few genuine legendary roles for a musical actress. 

Benko has had 60ish opportunities to create a legendary career. The box office is the proof she hasn’t. Broadway is the olympics of theatre. Who wants to see bronze and silver …

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#1527Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:31pm

joevitus said: "A lot of the praise for Benko is rooted in hostility towards Beanie. It's isn't fair to either performer. I do hope Benko gets a chance to shine in a role of her own."

Seriously? And you know this how? Did you even see the show with either one of them? I sure did.

Everything isn't a conspiracy my dear. You must live a very paranoid existence. Maybe, just maybe the praise for Benko is simply rooted in the fact that she's the superior performer. 

CarlosAlberto
#1528Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:42pm

He replied said: "
The girl has a nice voice and all but she’s giving a serviceable cover level performance in Funny Girl. Perhaps when she is able to create a role from scratch, she will shine but there is nothing unique and special happening other than she can sing the notes, unlike Feldstein. That Bryant Park performance is like a high schooler with a good voice"

Yes. Exactly. And I’ve actually seen the performance. (Not just an armchair quarterbacked youtube critic.)

serviceable. Not broadway lead performance in one of the few genuine legendary roles for a musical actress.

Benko has had 60ish opportunities to create a legendary career. The box office is the proof she hasn’t. Broadway is the olympics of theatre. Who wants to see bronze and silver …"

She's had 60ish opportunities to create a legendary career? Seriously? Can you list those "60ish opportunities"? 

Some of you need to seriously step away from your keyboards, go outside and get some needed air for your brains.

You guys are just mad that "your girl" couldn't cut the mustard, got bad reviews and completely failed to earn a Tony nomination. 

And if Broadway is the "Olympics of theater" as you so put it, then why was Feldstein even headlining a major Broadway revival in the first place?

You want to talk bronze and silver. How about tin? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1529Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:42pm

RippedMan said: "The role is rooted in Barbara. Doesn't seem like anyone will be happy. If they swing so far away from Barbara (like they did with Beanie) people aren't into it. So they swung back to a more conservative, safe approach, and people still aren't impressed. Can't win."

WTF is Barbara?!  Are you referring to Barbra Streisand?  At least get the woman’s name correct.  She’s been around since the early 60s.  With the name Barbra.

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6

CarlosAlberto
#1530Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:51pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "RippedMan said: "The role is rooted in Barbara. Doesn't seem like anyone will be happy. If they swing so far away from Barbara (like they did with Beanie) people aren't into it. So they swung back to a more conservative, safe approach, and people still aren't impressed. Can't win."

WTF is Barbara?! Are you referring to Barbra Streisand? At least get the woman’s name correct. She’s been around since the early 60s. With the name Barbra.

Exactly! And she had a television special (and album) called "My Name is BarBRA" {emphasis mine} as well as a sequel: "My Name is BarBRA Too". 

CarlosAlberto
#1531Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:53pm

And let's not forget about "Color Me BarBRA" - another excellent television special (and album):

Updated On: 8/31/22 at 02:53 PM

pmensky
#1532Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 3:06pm

He replied said: "

Benko has had 60ish opportunities to create a legendary career. The box office is the proof she hasn’t. Broadway is the olympics of theatre. Who wants to see bronze and silver …"

Legendarily stupid is definitely what comes to mind after reading this comment. She’s supposed to have carved out a legendary career on Broadway in 60 performances? First of all, I don’t think anyone has ever been in her position. Has anyone ever been a standby who received such widespread praise for their performance during their run as a standby then taken over the lead role when six months earlier they were basically unknown? Everyone is talking about her, and everyone is praising her. “Legendary” is a status that is earned over time. So, no, she is not legendary, but she’s certainly off to a good start.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1533Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 3:06pm

CarlosAlberto said: "joevitus said: "A lot of the praise for Benko is rooted in hostility towards Beanie. It's isn't fair to either performer. I do hope Benko gets a chance to shine in a role of her own."

Seriously? And you know this how? Did you even see the show with either one of them? I sure did.

Everything isn't a conspiracy my dear. You must live a very paranoid existence. Maybe, just maybe the praise for Benko is simply rooted in the fact that she's the superior performer.
"

Comments like yours. The people who repeatedly push what a great performance she's giving are the people who mercilessly attacked Beanie. It's all about "Your understudy is the star, dear" now, "How great this talented performer is getting some traction." 

CarlosAlberto
#1534Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 4:30pm

joevitus said: "CarlosAlberto said: "joevitus said: "A lot of the praise for Benko is rooted in hostility towards Beanie. It's isn't fair to either performer. I do hope Benko gets a chance to shine in a role of her own."

"

Comments like yours. The people who repeatedly push what a great performance she's giving are the people who mercilessly attacked Beanie. It's all about "Your understudy is the star, dear" now, "How great this talented performer is getting some traction."
"

You haven't even seen the show, so to me your "opinion" lacks authority. At this point it's a bunch of words strung together with nothing to back it up. In other words = WORD SALAD.

Buh bye, toodles - Hasta La Vista, Baby....

Updated On: 8/31/22 at 04:30 PM

Phillyguy
#1535Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 4:45pm

pmensky said: “
Legendarily stupid is definitely what comes to mind after reading this comment. She’s supposed to have carved out a legendary career on Broadway in 60 performances? First of all, I don’t think anyone has ever been in her position. Has anyone ever been a standby who received such widespread praise for their performance during their run as a standby then taken over the lead role when six months earlier they were basically unknown? Everyone is talking about her, and everyone is praising her. “Legendary” is a status that is earned over time. So, no, she is not legendary, but she’s certainly off to a good start."

I don’t doubt she is great but the reason why she got so much attention is that the lead she understudied for was uniquely miscast for the role and couldn’t sing the high notes. In such a highly anticipated revival, there was so much spotlight on both of them. Apparently the understudy for the London revival of Funny Girl was also better than the main Fanny. 

There’s no need to argue about her talent. The real test is when Lea Michele takes over. Will people still be talking about her or will she fade into the background? 

She is clearly talented and I hope she has a breakout role in the future. But it’s important to put her rise in perspective. 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#1536Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 7:21pm

CarlosAlberto said: "DAME said: "I believe I saw The Fan at a movie theater right next to the Palace when Bacall was doing Woman Of The Year. Fun schlocky film of its time. Pluto or Tubi carries it."

Yes, my friend. You saw "The Fan" at the (now defunct) Embassy 1 movie theater!

"

Wow.  Thank you for that baby!  That’s the New York I love and miss.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ManOfLaMuncha
#1537Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 9:24pm

DAME said: "CarlosAlberto said: "DAME said: "I believe I saw The Fan at a movie theater right next to the Palace when Bacall was doing Woman Of The Year. Fun schlocky film of its time. Pluto or Tubi carries it."

Yes, my friend. You saw "The Fan" at the (now defunct) Embassy 1 movie theater!

"

Wow. Thank you for that baby! That’s the New York I love and miss.
"

Me too!  I saw Woman of the Year, The Fan, and in the center up higher "Oh, Calcutta".  I remember two Krishna people were trying to get my cousin and I to go to a feast that night.  They were walking with us as we rushed towards the theater.  I said "Well, bye we're here!"  They looked up and saw the name of the play we were seeing and clutched their beads haha~

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1538Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 10:18pm

https://youtu.be/I_6n3drbhV0    Linda Eder singing "Don't Rain On My Parade".  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#1539Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 8/31/22 at 10:54pm

CarlosAlberto said: "joevitus said: "A lot of the praise for Benko is rooted in hostility towards Beanie. It's isn't fair to either performer. I do hope Benko gets a chance to shine in a role of her own."

"

You upvote one very rabid hater who hasn't seen the show, either, so you're a hypocrite.

And it doesn't matter if I've seen it because I'm not evaluating Benko or Beanie, merely pointing out that the only people championing Benko here are the ones who can't stop trashing Beanie. 

lkerr2 Profile Photo
lkerr2
#1540Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 8:16am

New article from the New York Times: Lea Michele Is Well Aware That The Pressure Is On

Apparently, according to Mayer, Lea was at the top of the list already when they were planning the transfer from London to Broadway. Also clarifies that she didn't outright steal the role from Beanie like others have been saying; that she just offered to step in if they were gonna look for a replacement when Beanie's run ends. She will also seem to amp up the comedy in her run, and there will be an interlude of "I'd Rather Be Blue Over You"

Updated On: 9/1/22 at 08:16 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1541Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 8:28am

That was a really good read, and it addressed a lot.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Idinamenzel18
EllieRose2 Profile Photo
EllieRose2
#1543Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 2:11pm

Wonderful article, thank you for sharing. I look forward to the new fall show "Funny Girl!" (I joke, I joke). 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#1544Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 5:32pm

As someone who saw the production twice, I can only add: this Funny Girl didn’t need another number; it needed tightening - elimination of songs and reprises with emotional redundancy - and focus. The show is so lacking in emotional suspense, the audience is always ahead of the characters, whether they saw the film or not. Baffled by the decision to load the 90-minute first act with more but the new star’s fans may welcome it. It’s another Fanny number associated with Streisand - no other actor who played the role was given the song - which at this late “not-the-Streisand-Funny-Girl” stage seems odd. I enjoy knowing that Benko and Aardema are now also learning the number. Hey, this is one show that keeps on giving to its talent.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1545Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 6:00pm

When I saw the show with Julie on Sunday, from the first note until intermission, act one ran around 81 minutes, which was down from close to 85 when I saw it in April. At the time, I couldn't tell what they did to tighten it, but I believe someone mentioned something about part of "Henry Street" being cut, which would explain it. In any case, it felt noticeably shorter to me, so a quick interlude with "I'd Rather Be Blue" probably won't be an issue, as far as timing is concerned. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#1546Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 6:06pm

The STOMP-like dance break in the middle of “Henry Street” was cut.  

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#1547Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/1/22 at 8:01pm

Any word as to when press night might be?

fosterfan2
#1548Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/2/22 at 6:20pm

Will Lea get her own FG thread when she opens next week? This one is great,but it's already 62 pages. Julie (deservedly) has her own.

Updated On: 9/2/22 at 06:20 PM

CarlosAlberto
#1549Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL starting 9/6
Posted: 9/2/22 at 7:47pm

fosterfan2 said: "Will Lea get her own FG thread when she opens next week? This one is great,but it's already 62 pages. Julie (deservedly) has her own."

Hey! I have a great idea! Why don’t you start one? 

Problem solved.