Posted: 8/6/22 at 12:28am

Mel Gibson

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#26Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 6:13am

Dollypop said: "Mel Gibson"

I can’t tell if this is a joke. Definitely too many Jews and gays on Broadway for Mr. Gibson.

The Other One
#27Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 8:27am

jagman1062 said: "OuttaTowner said: "I’ll also toss in Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Interesting to ponder - with any of these fine recommendations - if the star would “pop” on stage (you know, have that Broadway stage “presence” or merely fade into the scenery? Sometimes, film charisma doesn’t translate into stage success.
"

So very true. Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain about 15 years ago is proof that great film actors aren't wonderful stage actors.
"

I would like to see her come back in a play better suited to her.  I found "Three Days" at best so-so on all levels; I would not write her off based on that one experience.

Updated On: 8/6/22 at 08:27 AM

Duckie4
#28Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 8:30am

jagman1062 said: "OuttaTowner said: "I’ll also toss in Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Interesting to ponder - with any of these fine recommendations - if the star would “pop” on stage (you know, have that Broadway stage “presence” or merely fade into the scenery? Sometimes, film charisma doesn’t translate into stage success.
"

So very true. Julia Roberts in Three Days of Rain about 15 years ago is proof that great film actors aren't wonderful stage actors.
"

Bruce Willis and Uma Thurman are more recent examples.  It’s a very different style of acting and if an actor didn’t start with a lot of stage work in their career, a director is charged with basically undoing camera acting habits.  

The Other One
#29Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 8:30am

Much too late, and I doubt it ever interested him, but I would love to have seen Jack Nicholson tackle some of Eugene O'Neill's plays on Broadway.  James Tyrone, Jamie Tyrone and Hickey come immediately to mind.

The Other One
#30Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 9:36am

Duckie4 said: "jagman1062 said: "OuttaTowner said: "I’ll also toss in Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

"

"

Bruce Willis and Uma Thurman are more recent examples. It’s a very different style of acting and if an actor didn’t start with a lot of stage work in their career, a director is charged with basically undoing camera acting habits.
"

True, of course, but Willis did at least have some stage experience much earlier on.  He understudied Eddie in Fool For Love when it moved to Theater Row.  Many, many years ago, though, and he'd pretty much been a whisperer on screen for thirty years before he played Broadway.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#31Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 10:07am

Jordan Catalano said: "TotallyEffed said: "It breaks my heart that Streetcar wasn’t Cate Blanchett’s Broadway debut."

There’s no excuse for that not transferring. One of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen.
"

And there’s no excuse for the play that WAS her Broadway debut.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#32Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 10:56am

People love to name examples of celebrities who gave bad performances on Broadway. But in my experience, good actors are good actors; in the majority of cases, an actor who's skilled on camera will usually also be skilled onstage.You can name plenty of exceptions, but IMO they're just that: the exceptions, not the rule. I think it's telling that, whenever these conversations come up, it's always the same few names tossed around (though admittedly, I could probably add a few more names to the pot).

And even then I'd wager that many of those cases could largely be faulted to a director, or the choice of material. Not necessarily to the change in medium.

Granted, I agree it's more LIKELY to occur if the film actor in question doesn't have experience onstage. But still, I think most genuinely skilled actors will be skilled in both mediums, especially with help from a smart director, and with the right role.

Not to mention:

(a) I've seen plenty of bad performances from stars who had a ton of stage experience. Plus bad performances from actors made their whole career working onstage.

(b) I've even seen some film actors with barely any stage experience, who delivered a better stage performance than I'd ever seen from them on film.

Updated On: 8/6/22 at 10:56 AM

PennClassic Profile Photo
PennClassic
#33Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 12:29pm

I would have loved to see Sissy Spacek on Broadway.  Several years ago, I read that a possible stage version of DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES was being discussed with Ms. Spacek as the alcoholic wife.  It could have been a great role for her and I'm sure she would have given a fine performance.

Updated On: 5/4/23 at 12:29 PM

Duckie4
#34Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 12:38pm

JBroadway said: "People love to name examples of celebrities who gave bad performances on Broadway. But in my experience, good actors are good actors; in the majority of cases, an actor who's skilled on camera will usually also be skilled onstage.You can name plenty of exceptions, but IMO they're just that: the exceptions, not the rule. I think it's telling that, whenever these conversations come up, it's always the same few names tossed around (though admittedly, I could probably add a few more names to the pot).

And even then I'd wager that many of those cases could largely be faulted to a director, or the choice of material. Not necessarily to the change in medium.

Granted, I agree it's more LIKELY to occur if the film actor in question doesn't have experience onstage. But still, I think most genuinely skilled actors will be skilled in both mediums, especially with help from a smart director, and with the right role.

Not to mention:

(a) I've seen plenty of bad performances from stars who had a ton of stage experience. Plus bad performances from actors made their whole career working onstage.

(b) I've even seen some film actors with barely any stage experience, who delivered a better stage performance than I'd ever seen from them on film.

"

Well...sure. I mean, there are a million factors to take into consideration. Role, script, director, rehearsal time, etc,etc. "Good actors are good actors" oversimplifies things, though. I mean, let's face it, many Hollywood stars are made "good actors" through several takes and good film editing. There's going to be a huge variation in how well screen actors adapt to live performing and using their whole body and full voice to reach a Broadway audience. I don't think anyone here is saying that every single Hollywood actor will bomb on stage or that every Broadway actor succeeds on stage every time. 

I could name just as many Hollywood stars that were GREAT on the Broadway stage...probably more, actually....as those who just didn't translate well.  I think the point that was raised was that you just can't predict that the transition will work. 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#35Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 2:59pm

Duckie4 said: "JBroadway said: "People love to name examples of celebrities who gave bad performances on Broadway. But in my experience, good actors are good actors; in the majority of cases, an actor who's skilled on camera will usually also be skilled onstage.You can name plenty of exceptions, but IMO they're just that: the exceptions, not the rule. I think it's telling that, whenever these conversations come up, it's always the same few names tossed around (though admittedly, I could probably add a few more names to the pot).

Not to mention:

"

Well...sure. I mean, there are a million factors to take into consideration. Role, script, director, rehearsal time, etc,etc. "Good actors are good actors" oversimplifies things, though. I mean, let's face it, many Hollywood stars are made "good actors" through several takes and good film editing. There's going to be a huge variation in how well screen actors adapt to live performing and using their whole body and full voice to reach a Broadway audience. I don't think anyone here is saying that every single Hollywood actor will bomb on stage or that every Broadway actor succeeds on stage every time.

I could name just as many Hollywood stars that were GREAT on the Broadway stage...probably more, actually....as those who just didn't translate well. I think the point that was raised was that you just can't predict that the transition will work.
"

Thank you, your last comment is exactly the point I was trying to make. Years ago, many actors got their start on stage and went on to Hollywood, especially at a time when Hollywood and the film industry was establishing itself as an entertainment powerhouse. Today, many Hollywood actors don't have a theater background. Yes, there are Hollywood actors who will deliver on stage, but I have found that those who have have experience performing on stage are more likely to do so. Simply wanting to see a Hollywood actor live on stage doesn't mean they will deliver a great performance. 

themick2
#36Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 4:01pm

I'd like to see some of these actors who have sold out to the MCU meat grinder to regain their chops on stage.  Elizabeth Olsen and Robert Downey Jr for instance.  

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#37Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 4:13pm

Sold out? An actor getting the chance to make a fortune and  appear in one of the biggest franchises in cinematic history is considered “selling out”? 

So Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Evans, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Salma Hayek, Gwyneth Paltrow, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Angela Bassett, Luputa Nyong’o, Jake Gyllenhaal, Angelina Jolie (just to name a few) - have all…sold out?

VintageSnarker
#38Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 5:16pm

Julianne Moore

Natalie Portman

Reese Witherspoon

Judy Reyes

Michelle Yeoh

And I'd be happy to see Keira Knightley in another play. I can't think of anyone I'd want to see in a musical.

Duckie4
#39Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 5:40pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Sold out? An actor getting the chance to make a fortune and appear in one of the biggest franchises in cinematic history is considered “selling out”?

So Robert Downey Jr., Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Evans, Michael Douglas, Michelle Pfeiffer, Salma Hayek, Gwyneth Paltrow, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Angela Bassett, Luputa Nyong’o, Jake Gyllenhaal, Angelina Jolie (just to name a few) - have all…sold out?
"

It gave me a laugh to read that, at least.  And how great that Samuel L. Jackson will soon be on stage to atone for “selling out” to the MCU.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#40Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 6:14pm

Duckie4 said: "Good actors are good actors" oversimplifies things, though.

Maybe phrasing it that way was oversimplifying. So here’s my point, less simplified. When I said “good actors are good actors,” what I should’ve said was:

When a film actor is highly skilled, really committed to the technical craft, and has lots of experience with preparation, character work, focused listening and responding, etc., I think they're more likely to be good onstage than not. Especially with a good director.

But in any case, I think we're all in agreement that the mileage will vary, and that there's no guarantee of anyone being good.

themick2
#41Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 6:39pm

Oh, sweetheart.  Do you really think they do those movies for the creative stimulus?  And yes, watching them throw away their talents in those focus grouped monstrosities is depressing.  Not as depressing as infantilized adults defending these celluloid pieces of Kleenex as if they were defending their parents, but depressing nonetheless.  Every single one of the actors you mentioned you love because of deeper material they have done.  

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#42Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 6:59pm

themick2 said: "Oh, sweetheart. Do you really think they do those movies for the creative stimulus? And yes, watching them throw away their talents in those focus grouped monstrosities is depressing. Not as depressing as infantilized adults defending these celluloid pieces of Kleenex as if they were defending their parents, but depressing nonetheless. Every single one of the actors you mentioned you love because of deeper material they have done."

None of that is even remotely the point. No one is claiming that those actors are doing their deepest and more sophisticated work in the MCU, or that they're doing it for the creative stimulus (although there is some genuinely strong acting peppered throughout the franchise, if one cares to look for it).

The point is, you implied that these actors are less respectable for having taken jobs in the MCU, and therefore have something to prove to the world. But (a) they're not less respectable, because yeah, sometimes artists need to make financially or strategically-motivated career choices, and that doesn't mean they're not valid as artists. And (b) by your own admission, these are actors who have earned artistic respect through other projects (some of which they work on DURING their MCU tenure). So again, they don't need to "regain their chops."

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#43Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 7:39pm

I believe Denzel Washington said once that doing "popular" movies gives him the freedom to pursue other projects he is passionate about that may not be all about the money. That makes sense to me. 

That being said, where the heck has Amy Adams been? Seriously, she should have had a starring role in a new musical or major revival by now. Mame, perhaps? Or even the Sweeney Revival? Now that I could get excited about. 

Duckie4
#44Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 7:39pm

JBroadway said: "When a film actor is highly skilled, really committed to the technical craft, and has lots of experience with preparation, character work, focused listening and responding, etc., I think they're more likely to be good onstage than not. Especially with a good director."

Couldn't agree more. And I think the Broadway stage, more than any other medium, will quickly reveal any weakness in an actor's skill. Some will adjust and rise to the occasion, others will not, we can all agree on that. 

Duckie4
#45Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 7:46pm

Lola Getz2 said: "That being said, where the heck has Amy Adams been? Seriously, she should have had a starring role in a new musical or major revival by now. Mame, perhaps? Or even the Sweeney Revival? Now that I could get excited about."

She was the Baker's Wife in the Delacorte's "Into the Woods" back in 2012, I think.  I wasn't a fan, but there were lots of other problems with the production so who knows whether a different vehicle would work for her. 

SoCalDirector
#46Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 8:22pm

Lola Getz2 said: "I believe Denzel Washington said once that doing "popular" movies gives him the freedom to pursue other projects he is passionate about that may not be all about the money. That makes sense to me.

That being said, where the heck has Amy Adams been? Seriously, she should have had a starring role in a new musical or major revival by now. Mame, perhaps? Or even the Sweeney Revival? Now that I could get excited about.
"

I just saw Amy Adams in The Glass Menagerie and thought that she was too small for the stage .  I don't know when I've hated a directorial concept more than that production but a good director  could have brought her further to reach her potential.  

Tom Glynn-Carney as the young Tom lit up that stage.  His imitation of his mother calling "rise and shine- rise and shine!" was the best Amanda in that performance.

Miles Robert Mills

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#47Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 9:50pm

Gillian Anderson

Emma Cornin

Josh O'Conner

Claire Foy

Elizabeth Moss

Bradley Whitford

Austin Butler

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#48Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 10:07pm

Elisabeth Moss, Bradley Whitford, and Austin Butler have already been on Broadway.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#49Hollywood Stars We Haven’t Seen On Broadway
Posted: 8/6/22 at 10:19pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Elisabeth Moss, Bradley Whitford, and Austin Butler have already been on Broadway."

Thanks, I got caught in the moment of The Crown and Handmaid's Tale

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince