pixeltracker

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl - Page 3

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#50Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:12pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

barcelona20
#51Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:17pm

Listened to the clip. Team Benko 4life.

smallworld Profile Photo
smallworld
#52Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:17pm

Where did "I'd Rather Be Blue" end up? I'm really hoping to catch her next time I'm in NY. 

JasonC3
#53Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:20pm

Glad her performance was so well-received, but in my 20+ years of attending West End and Broadway shows, no one has ever merited multiple standing ovations during the performance.

Lynsey1122
#54Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:20pm

I'm so excited to go see her in October!   All of the clips/reviews I've seen so far have been nothing but raves!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#55Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:21pm

How is that awful "Where's Fanny?' curtain call gag still in the show? It's so damn awkward, and it should have been cut in previews. This would have been a perfect time to axe it.

Updated On: 9/6/22 at 10:21 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#56Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:23pm

No addition of “My Man”, from what I hear. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#57Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:24pm

JasonC3 said: "Glad her performance was so well-received, but in my 20+ years of attending West End and Broadway shows, no one has ever merited multiple standing ovations during the performance."

This i will 100% agree with. She was wonderful but nothing merited those tonight. I wouldn’t be shocked if there were people in the audience planted to do that and “start the wave” (it’s not like that hasn’t happened a lot recently). But the standing ovation at the end was absolutely deserved. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#58Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:27pm

smallworld said: "Where did "I'd Rather Be Blue" end up? I'm really hoping to catch her next time I'm in NY."

It's in Act II as a scene interlude. She sings the last verse at the rehearsal piano with Eddie and gets another chance to show off her belt with the final note.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#59Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:28pm

She sounded great on that TikTok clip (though I'm still very partial to Benko I must say) but oy, I too wish they had changed that utterly dumb curtain call bit. This was the perfect opportunity to do that.

Jordan Catalano
#60Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:29pm

They also added Ramin being drunk when he comes into the dressing room in Act Two after losing the money. I don’t think he’s ever done that before, had he? I really couldn’t pick up any other changes..

ElephantLoveMedley
#61Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:29pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "No addition of “My Man”, from what I hear."

Correct.

I will say there were moments during the final Fanny monologue after Nicky walks out for the last time when I really thought she was about to go into "My Man" though. She gave a very intense and emotional delivery, significantly more so than Beanie's, which made me wonder if it was coming. But alas.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#62Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:30pm

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ElephantLoveMedley
#63Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:30pm

Jordan Catalano said: "They also added Ramin being drunk when he comes into the dressing room in Act Two after losing the money. I don’t think he’s ever done that before, had he? I really couldn’t pick up any other changes.."

I think they also added more movement for Fanny during "Greatest Star." I remember Beanie being up on that ladder for a really long time. Lea was extremely dynamic and moved a lot during that scene, only climbing up the ladder to deliver that final verse.

Jordan Catalano
#64Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:32pm

For the ladder, I actually think they had Eddie join her a lot earlier than he had before so she wasn’t alone for as long. 

jeffrey2
#65Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:35pm

The curtain call gag should have been fixed. It was never funny. Akward.

Updated On: 9/6/22 at 10:35 PM

kwoc91
#66Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:41pm

Count me among those who loved tonight's performance! It was my first time seeing this production so I can't compare it to anything, but I was very impressed by Lea (and Tovah! and Ramin! and Jared!). I thought Lea's rendition of "People" was particularly beautiful.

The standing ovations got pretty old though...agree with Jordan that it was absolutely warranted at the end but not after almost every Fanny song in Act One!

Jonathan Groff was being very kind at intermission and chatting/taking photos with fans. And it was fun bumping into Zachary Quinto in the bathroom line.

All in all it was a VERY memorable night and I'm glad I was there to witness it.

Jordan Catalano
#67Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:43pm

I was excited to see Governor Hochul during intermission, passing by Zachary Quinto. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#68Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:44pm

So the consensus seems to be that the show comes alive when you have a Fanny who can actually sing the score and I think we learned that on April 26th and were reminded of it all of August, but glad to have another reminder. 

Also glad to hear that she's doing well in the comedy. I had been a naysayer about her going back many months because I didn't think that she'd be able to handle the comedy. Happy to be proven wrong. 

As far as that clip. While you obviously can't judge a whole performance on a clip of a boot, I did find myself preferring Julie's version of the first half of that song, but Lea just absolutely nails the second half. 

In the end, I still don't think it's likely I'll make it back to the AW any time soon, but I love this show and if Lea Michelle is what will keep it open, I'll be ok with that.

I just wish they'd put her face on the Playbill!!! Get rid of the Takeout bag!!!!

nasty_khakis
#69Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:46pm

I agree the standing ovations aren't going to happen on a regular night with a regular crowd, but DAMN was she sensational.

She plays Fanny like a hungry teenager who talks a mile a minute and is truly...acting and VERY funny. I always thought she was funny on Scream Queens but this truly got me tonight, she was FUNNY. She doesn't remove all shadows of Barbra but she by no means doing line readings or vocal phrasings. The show is written in a style and she fully understands how to speak that style. She definitely had growth in the roll from that needy kid to having more power and strength in herself. Then she's a mature woman in ACT 2 (my lord, why can't we fix Act 2???) who isn't as mile a minute, but the insecurities and need are still there.

It sounded like Ramin wasn't holding back vocally tonight either. Their Who Are You Now was great and they definitely had chemistry. I agree that she plays the last couple of scenes with SUCH emotional maturity I kept thinking "ok...My Man is coming...it's coming" but alas, they haven't added it. I think it would make so much more sense for her Fanny, especially giving her a final NUMBER vs half a reprise of Parade. Her final dress is also much much better than the original, but it seems like that was the only real costume change.

Tovah was also a treasure and I can only imagine will find more and more to play as she gets a few audiences under her belt.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#70Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:52pm

I've seen a lot of mega stars have their big moment on a Broadway stage (not that I am labeling Lea a mega star at all) and I have NEVER felt a theater vibrate from applause and whoops and hollers the way I did tonight.

And, IMHO, other than the standing ovation before she'd uttered a single word lol - it was warranted every time. (I see others disagree with that earlier in the thread, but, that's my opinion!)

(Tovah was also great!)

(No, I did not see Beanie or Julie so I am comparing to no one.)

Updated On: 9/6/22 at 10:52 PM

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#71Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 10:55pm

So.....did she wear yellow roses in her hair?

Non sibi sed patriae

Penna2
#72Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 11:00pm

Robbie2 said: "Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl"

Tovah's so cute.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#73Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 11:06pm

I have to say that my biggest reaction to the curtain call footage is that Tovah is TINY!!!! Lea is only 5' 3" and Tovah's got to be at least a couple of inches shorter! 

TBH it's probably more accurate that way. Us Jews don't tend to be very tall. 

RWPrincess
#74Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/6/22 at 11:15pm

Any costume updates? I know the red dress is different from Julie's new one and it looks like Tovah may have had a new outfit at curtain call too? Was anything else different?

Videos