pixeltracker

INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 4

INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#75INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 4:15pm

What a great recording! I echo most of what’s been said here…

For those interested, the Apple Music and Amazon Music HD streams give the highest resolution (24bit/48kHz). Spotify Premium (320kbs) and their free tier (160kbs)…neither comes close to CD quality.

We’re all pretty lucky to be handed two exemplary Broadway recordings in a week’s time with THE MUSIC MAN and now INTO THE WOODS. I’m feeling a little spoiled, but I love it!

Updated On: 10/1/22 at 04:15 PM

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#76INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 5:02pm

a weird thing happened when I bought it off itunes this morning, it spilt it into 2 "albums"... I need to make a playlist for it to be a complete "album".... not that it is hard to do so I just thought it was weird

ashley0139
#77INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 5:25pm

a weird thing happened when I bought it off itunes this morning, it spilt it into 2 "albums"... I need to make a playlist for it to be a complete "album".... not that it is hard to do so I just thought it was weird

Mine did this too and I was quite annoyed. If you make the album artist (NOT just song artist) all the same (say, Into the Woods Broadway Cast) it will sort them correctly.

I love this album, and I'm endlessly glad Sara's performance was captured. Having seen both Sara and SJB, I much preferred Sara. I love SJB, but not for this role. I also much preferred Patina's performance the second time I saw it, so maybe it just takes a bit of getting used to. The moment when *SPOILER* Rapunzel was crushed was devastating. I've also never really enjoyed Agony until this version. Beautiful recording.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Plexsis
#78INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 5:28pm

wiggum2 said: "a weird thing happened when I bought it off itunes this morning, it spilt it into 2 "albums"... I need to make a playlist for it to be a complete "album".... not that it is hard to do so I just thought it was weird"

I just deleted both from my library and went into my account and downloaded both again.  It downloaded as one album 

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#79INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 6:48pm

thank you! it's not letting me redownload it... weird

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#80INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 6:58pm

Are all the songs checked as part of a compilation? The only reason I can think that it would do that is if the album artist is different and you don’t have it checked as part of a compilation.

Plexsis
#81INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 7:47pm

You’ll need to go into your account under hidden purchases and it should let you re-download it 

Andres LaFrazia
wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#83INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 8:33pm

thank you again... it did get hidden for some reason. All good now! thank you

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#84INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 9/30/22 at 11:37pm

This recording is pure perfection.   Patina Miller’s Last Midnight was powerful, Julia Lester was fun, Brian James was heartbreaking, Gavin Creel and Joshua Henry were just dynamic, Philippa was sublime and Sara Bareilles’ voice… god her voice… there are no words.

I’ve listened to every recording of Into The Woods and I think Cole Thompson is the best Jack ever recorded.  It’s the first time I ever felt Giants In The Sky was sung properly and effectively.  

I know I would be scorned for saying this and I’m really sorry but for me this is the best Into the Woods recording of all time, much much better than the original cast.  (I still love Chip Zien’s No More though but I thought BDJ gave a wondrous performance as well)

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#85INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 11:09am

There are a few highlights for me, but overall I do not enjoy this recording. Some of it is performances, some the sound quality, the orchestra, the pacing feels so slow, a lot of misses for me even starting with the Prologue.

To each their own, I’m glad people have a recording they enjoy! I will continue to enjoy previous cast albums.

PS, does his voice crack at the end of Giants In the Sky? I can’t tell what I’m hearing at the final “in THE sky”. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 10/1/22 at 11:09 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#86INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 11:12am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "PS, does his voice crack at the end of Giants In the Sky? I can’t tell what I’m hearing at the final “in THE sky”."

It sounds like a quick scoop of some kind. Definitely not a crack.

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#87INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 11:27am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "There are a few highlights for me, but overall I do not enjoy this recording. Some of it is performances, some the sound quality, the orchestra, the pacing feels so slow, a lot of misses for me even starting with the Prologue.

To each their own, I’m glad people have a recording they enjoy! I will continue to enjoy previous cast albums.

PS, does his voice crack at the end of Giants In the Sky? I can’t tell what I’m hearing at the final “in THE sky”.
"

Lol - def not a crack.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#88INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 12:41pm

Interestingly, these are also the tempos indicated in the score. They really did try to honor it as best as possible, but it’s just not what we’re used to.

KevinKlawitter
#89INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 12:49pm

Listened to it yesterday, and it's just about perfect. It stays true to Sondheim's score while having enough differences to make it fun to compare and contrast.

Some individual notes:

• Gavin Creel plays The Wolf with a higher vocal register than I'm used to for the part. It's not something that's better or worse, but different.
  • Patina Miller as The Witch isn't going as broad as other portrayals, a touch I appreciate.
  • Julia Lester as Little Red *is* going broad, and I'm not sure the way she does so is as successful.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#90INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 2:08pm

I do wish they had Lester tone it down for the recording. What worked on stage is grating on the recording. 

Also, why is the “So Happy” prelude and the Baker’s “Maybe They’re Magic” reprise never recorded??? I was really hoping they recorded these moments for the new recording. 

Updated On: 10/1/22 at 02:08 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#91INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 2:10pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Interestingly, these are also the tempos indicated in the score. They really did try to honor it as best as possible, but it’s just not what we’re used to."

Reminds me when some people were complaining on ATC that Bernadette’s Buddy’s Eyes tempos were too slow and indulgent. I get why you’d say that if you’re used to the OBC but if you get out a metronome and look at the score it actually is quite slow. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#92INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/1/22 at 4:27pm

Both Amazon and Apple are offering Hi-Res streams of the recording now. I updated my post from yesterday.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#93INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 7:55am

In terms of singing quality, one thing I really like about this recording is that everyone seems to be able to hit those high notes reasonably well when called upon. If I recall correctly, some of those high notes with the OBC (Baker's wife "Justifies the beans" or some of the high Cinderella notes for example) sometimes felt a little strained or effortful whereas here everything sounds much cleaner and effortless.

It makes the score feel a little bit more melodic to me, which I would probably not typically describe as Sondheim's most melodic for me at times (more focus on intricate rhythms and lyrics to my ear at times than melodies or harmonies. Given the popularity of the show I can imagine it feeding into the stereotypical perception that Sondheim is a stronger lyricist than composer [one of course I couldn't disagree with more strongly] - even though for me I would say Into the Woods is rather exceptional/unusual in its focus. Though of course it has more than its fair share of magical songs too (e.g. Giants in the Sky, Stay With Me, Moments in the Woods, Last Midnight, No One is Alone and Children Will Listen)).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/2/22 at 07:55 AM

¿Macavity?
#94INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 8:30am

I've given it a few tries, but I can't get into this recording. Hard to nail down exactly why though, something about it just isn't resonating with me. It's well produced and I'm a long time fan of these performers, but something isn't doing it for me.

I'm drawn to say it's the performances that are leaving me cold, but that seems impossible because, again, I really admire these performers. I don't know, maybe if I had seen this production it would have clicked? The contemporary sound is fine, but sometimes a bit much - for me, at least. I often enjoy grating, but Little Red is, as others have said, a little too.

The biggest shock for me was that "No More" did nothing for me, as it was what I was most looking forward to.

Anyway, I'm glad others are finding so much joy and feeling in this recording, and it's always great to get a new Sondheim album. Hopefully I'll aquire a taste for it.

:)

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#95INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 12:13pm

I love this recording. The orchestrations are full, the cast is lively... Gavin and Sara are brilliant. 

I only wish we got Heather Headley on a cast recording. I had the pleasure to see both her and Patina, and there wasn't necessarily anything wrong with Patina per se, but Heather was really just something else. Extraordinary. It redefined the role to me, and it breaks my heart I can't hear her sing these songs again.

Another shout-out to Cole Thompson, who I can't get enough of. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

Andres LaFrazia
#96INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/2/22 at 5:50pm

Into The Woods Broadway 2022 Vlog & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhUMGBwUsE&t=26s

kurtal
#97INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 9:38am

halfhourcheckwithmerman said: "I love this recording. The orchestrations are full, the cast is lively... Gavin and Sara are brilliant.

I only wish we got Heather Headley on a cast recording. I had the pleasure to see both her and Patina, and there wasn't necessarily anything wrong with Patina per se, but Heather was really justsomething else.Extraordinary. It redefined the role to me, and it breaks my heart I can't hear her sing these songs again.

Another shout-out to Cole Thompson, who I can't get enough of.
"

You captured a lot of my feelings with this.  I enjoy the recording so far, but it doesn't capture the magic of the live performance.  And I so very wish it were Heather and not Patina.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#98INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 10:44am

The recording is still #3 on iTunes. Impressive. 

MagicalMusical Profile Photo
MagicalMusical
#99INTO THE WOODS 2022 Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 10/3/22 at 12:21pm

Andres LaFrazia said: "Into The Woods Broadway 2022 Vlog & Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhUMGBwUsE&t=26s
"

I enjoyed your review! I agreed with a lot. The direction and acting were amazing and I prefer Stephanie J. Block's Baker's Wife to Sara Bareilles'. One thing, though. The director of Into the Woods is Lear deBessonet, a woman, not a man.

Updated On: 10/3/22 at 12:21 PM

Videos