TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE VICTORIOUS Revival Set for Summer 2023
Posted: 9/24/22 at 12:31pm

Blind item from S.O on TikTok, saying that Odom will star and produce. Hard to know if there's any validity to it, since his haters have admitted to regularly sending in fake blind items, but this one doesn't seem too far out of the realm of possibility. 

Updated On: 2/1/23 at 12:31 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 12:55pm

The man has talent, no denying that, but I just couldn't bring myself to see him in this. It was my first show. I saw the first tour as a young kid. 

Odom just really turned me off when he did that Tavis Smiley interview after winning the Tony and just bad mouthing Broadway and saying he didn't like it or need it. He hated going to the theater every day. He wanted to record music. Heather Headley said kind of the same thing after "AIDA". She came back. It's kind of like "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".  I don't "hate" Odom, but it will be hard to watch a person who said those things and thinking their heart really isn't in it. And he really comes off as being full of himself. 

I have always hoped for a revival of this show. If this happens I hope they don't mess with the book too much. I have wondered how it would play to today's audiences. (I really wish I had seen the Encores production.) It will be interesting to see who the rest of the cast will be. In my dream world, I would like to see Tamika Lawrence or Michaela Jae' Rodriguez play Lutiebelle. I think they would both sing the heck out of "I Got Love" and "He Can Do It".  JMO

Just give the world Love.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#3Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:13pm

Same. Talk about biting the hand the feeds you. There was also his awful, phoned in performance of Burr for Disney. He played it like a snarling cartoon character with a lisp (?). How incredibly disappointing since he was great live in that role and never played him like that before. Since then I have no interest in seeing him in anything.

Updated On: 9/27/22 at 01:13 PM

Ke3
#4Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:22pm

uncageg said: "The man has talent, no denying that, but I just couldn't bring myself to see him in this. It was my first show. I saw the first tour as a young kid.

Odom just really turned me off when he did that Tavis Smiley interview after winning the Tony and just bad mouthing Broadway and saying he didn't like it or need it. He hated going to the theater every day. He wanted to record music. Heather Headley said kind of the same thing after "AIDA". She came back. It's kind of like "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". I don't "hate" Odom, but it will be hard to watch a person who said those things and thinking their heart really isn't in it. And he really comes off as being full of himself.

I have always hoped for a revival of this show. If this happens I hope they don't mess with the book too much. I have wondered how it would play to today's audiences. (I really wish I had seen the Encores production.) It will be interesting to see who the rest of the cast will be. In my dream world, I would like to see Tamika Lawrence or Michaela Jae' Rodriguez play Lutiebelle. I think they would both sing the heck out of "I Got Love" and "He Can Do It". JMO
"

Heather Headley did not "say kind of the same thing". In all of her post-Aida interviews, she said she loved Broadway, but her biggest dream in life was always to be an R&B/pop singer. Her idol was Whitney Houston, and she wanted to be like her. She said in multiple interviews she hoped to be back on Broadway one day and perhaps even bring a different audience into the theatre with her. 

Leslie seemed genuinely resentful of being known as a "Broadway guy" which yes, doesn't look great when theatre people have been supporting you for years.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:26pm

I’ve heard he’s doing Purlie Victorious, not the musical version. 

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#6Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:34pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’ve heard he’s doingPurlie Victorious, notthe musical version."

Ah, that seems more believable.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/24/22 at 1:51pm

Ke3 said: "uncageg said: "The man has talent, no denying that, but I just couldn't bring myself to see him in this. It was my first show. I saw the first tour as a young kid.

Odom just really turned me off when he did that Tavis Smiley interview after winning the Tony and just bad mouthing Broadway and saying he didn't like it or need it. He hated going to the theater every day. He wanted to record music. Heather Headley said kind of the same thing after "AIDA". She came back. It's kind of like "Don't bite the hand that feeds you". I don't "hate" Odom, but it will be hard to watch a person who said those things and thinking their heart really isn't in it. And he really comes off as being full of himself.

I have always hoped for a revival of this show. If this happens I hope they don't mess with the book too much. I have wondered how it would play to today's audiences. (I really wish I had seen the Encores production.) It will be interesting to see who the rest of the cast will be. In my dream world, I would like to see Tamika Lawrence or Michaela Jae' Rodriguez play Lutiebelle. I think they would both sing the heck out of "I Got Love" and "He Can Do It". JMO
"

Heather Headley did not "say kind of the same thing". In all of her post-Aidainterviews,shesaidsheloved Broadway, but her biggest dream in life was always to be an R&B/pop singer. Her idol was Whitney Houston, andshe wanted to be like her. She said in multiple interviews she hoped to be back on Broadway one day and perhaps even bring a different audience into the theatre with her.

Leslie seemed genuinely resentful of being known as a "Broadway guy" which yes, doesn't look great when theatre people have been supporting you for years.
"

Well that is good about Headley. I only read one interview. It could have been edited but it made it sound like she didn't want to come back. It actually said she had no plans to return. But, the press!

Jarethan
#8Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 3:45am

uncageg said: "The man has talent, no denying that, but I just couldn't bring myself to see him in this. It was my first show. I saw the first tour as a young kid.

"

The actress who plays Lutiebelle has to have a voice with an extraordinary range, or the show-stopping number in the show is not going to work.  I have seen a number of Lutiebelle's and the role works best when she is a tiny thing.  I am not familiar with Tamika Lawrence, but MJ Rodriguez would be totally wrong in the role.

I would love to see a revival of this show.  I saw it 5 times in 1970 because the entire mezzanine was $3.00 for every performance (or at least every performance that I saw) and loved, loved, loved it.  Many highlights, but the highest of the high was I Got Love, with Melba Moore and Patti XX (I think Jo) knocking the number out of the park.

PS -- Maybe Odom was already losing interest when I saw Hamilton, but I did not get the acclaim.  I thought that at least 5 of the principals were much better than he was.

Updated On: 9/25/22 at 03:45 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 4:16am

Jarethan said: "uncageg said: "The man has talent, no denying that, but I just couldn't bring myself to see him in this. It was my first show. I saw the first tour as a young kid.

"

The actress who plays Lutiebelle has to have a voice with an extraordinary range, or the show-stopping number in the show is not going to work. I have seen a number of Lutiebelle's and the role works best when she is a tiny thing. I am not familiar with Tamika Lawrence, but MJ Rodriguez would be totally wrong in the role.

I would love to see a revival of this show. I saw it 5 times in 1970 because the entire mezzanine was $3.00 for every performance (or at least every performance that I saw) and loved, loved, loved it. Many highlights, but the highest of the high was I Got Love, with Melba Moore and Patti XX (I think Jo) knocking the number out of the park.

PS -- Maybe Odom was already losing interest when I saw Hamilton, but I did not get the acclaim. I thought that at least 5 of the principals were much better than he was.
"

Well, that is a matter of opinion. (Which is what JMO stands for at the end of my post) Rodriquez can hit those notes and I would love to see her play the role.

Tamika was the "Seasons of Love" soloist in the "RENT" revival. She went on to do "If/Then", the revival of "Caroline or Change" and stole the show in "Black No More". She is not tiny like Moore or Patti Jo (Who did the tour and who I saw) but I would still like to see her in the role. Look her up. 

Alexander Lamar
#10Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 8:02am

Tamika would be great, MJ would be severely miscast. 

Emma_Pillsbury Profile Photo
Emma_Pillsbury
#11Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 9:52am

If in fact EDSOSLO858 is right that Odom is going to star in Purlie Victorious - the play and not Purlie - the musical then all this back and forth on the casting of Lutiebelle and who is able to sing it is moot. 

On the other hand if it is Purlie they are reviving then yes, they hopefully will cast a Lutiebelle who  will do justice to that character’s two big solo numbers. IMHO - Michaela Jae Rodriguez is completely wrong for the role. 

I saw the ENCORES production back in 2005 and as good as Anika Noni Rose was in the role the shadow of the great Melba Moore still looms over this role. It’s a tough act to follow…

OhHiii
#12Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 10:51am

After how the whole thing went down as others have mentioned, I couldn’t care less if he’s ever on Broadway again. The arrogance permeated every single time he appeared on behalf of Hamilton. Like I get it, have your ambitions, but this show gave you your big break and is STILL lining his pockets to this day given the OBC’s winning royalties in perpetuity for helping develop the show. 

Updated On: 9/25/22 at 10:51 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#13Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 7:28pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I’ve heard he’s doing Purlie Victorious, not the musical version."

A reading happened in April, directed by (who else) Kenny Leon and produced by Jeffrey Richards, starring Odom alongside David Alan Grier, Alfre Woodard, Danny Burstein, Gideon Glick, and Danielle Deadwyler. I somehow can't post a link to Instagram but this pic is from Danny Burstein's profile:

Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 8:29pm

I mean if that's the cast, I could see the potential. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#15Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 8:41pm

I have never seen the play, only the musical. As much as I don't care for Odom, the rest of this cast is really good. I am a HUGE Alfre Woodard fan. Also a big Glick fan. The two of them would get me into the theater.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 9:07pm

RippedMan said: "I mean if that's the cast, I could see the potential."

Certainly doesn't mean that would be the Broadway cast –– sometimes reading casts are overqualified because it's just one day of work. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#17Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 9:11pm

True. Just meaning I don't think Odom alone would sell this show at all.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/25/22 at 11:16pm

RippedMan said: "True. Just meaning I don't think Odom alone would sell this show at all."

Yeah, I'm really curious about Odom's name value to ticketbuyers in a play where he wouldn't be singing. Could be an Audra situation.

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#19Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/26/22 at 6:44pm

Danielle Deadwyler is building a name for herself after THE HARDER THEY FALL and Oscar buzz for the upcoming TILL - that could be exciting with Burstein, Glick, Grier, Odom Jr, and Woodard!

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#20Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/26/22 at 7:00pm

This revival (of the play, not the musical) has been kicking around for a while; I believe Chris Rock was attached with Anna Shapiro directing about two years before the pandemic. Interesting to see that it still has momentum. To me it sounds like setting money on fire, as from what I understand the musical is much stronger than the play.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#21Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/26/22 at 7:27pm

Richards has been trying to make a revival happen for 20 years. Ossie Davis himself directed a reading of it in 2002 with (among others) Ruby Dee, Kerry Washington, and Whoopi Goldberg. Feels like an “I’ll believe it when they announce a theatre & dates” situation. Odom could certainly take better roles.

https://playbill.com/article/whoopi-goldberg-ruby-dee-read-purlie-victorious-in-nyc-feb-11-com-103903

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#22Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/26/22 at 7:54pm

RippedMan said: "True. Just meaning I don't think Odom alone would sell this show at all."

He alone could never sell anything well. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/27/22 at 12:11am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Richards has been trying to make a revival happen for 20 years. Ossie Davis himself directed a reading of it in 2002 with (among others) Ruby Dee, Kerry Washington, and Whoopi Goldberg. Feels like an “I’ll believe it when they announce a theatre & dates” situation. Odom could certainly take better roles.

https://playbill.com/article/whoopi-goldberg-ruby-dee-read-purlie-victorious-in-nyc-feb-11-com-103903
"

Oh, I can totally see Odom wanting to do this role. It is a good role written by an icon. With the talent associated with the reading, I think there is a good chance "we will see it". JMO

BETTY22
#24Leslie Odom, Jr. PURLIE Revival?
Posted: 9/27/22 at 7:47am

GENIUS