TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/26/22 at 12:00am

The first Broadway revival of Topdog/Underdog begins previews tomorrow at the John Golden Theatre, before an October 20 opening night. The two-person play is written by Suzan-Lori Parks and stars Corey Hawkins and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Lincoln and Booth; Kenny Leon directs. The show will play a limited engagement, currently scheduled to conclude on January 15.

“Suzan-Lori Parks’s Topdog/Underdog, a darkly comic fable of brotherly love and family identity, tells the story of two brothers, Lincoln and Booth, names given to them as a joke by their father. Haunted by the past and their obsession with the street con game, three-card monte, the brothers come to learn the true nature of their history.”

Who’s going?

Oh look, a bibu!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/26/22 at 12:45am

$40 lottery is now open:

https://rush.telecharge.com/

Roscoe
#3TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/27/22 at 9:17am

Not me. Paper thin play.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

KevinKlawitter
#4TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/27/22 at 1:32pm

October will be a big month for Suzan-Lori Parks. Her new play Sally & Tom premieres in Minneapolis on the 1st and Topdog/Underdog gets a Broadway revival a couple weeks later.

EDIT: The cast of Sally & Tom has been announced

Updated On: 9/27/22 at 01:32 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#5TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/27/22 at 11:53pm

Was anyone at first preview tonight?

Telecharge lists a 2 hour 20 minute runtime, including intermission. 

Oh look, a bibu!

chrishuyen
#6TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 1:43am

I was there tonight!  I'd say the show runs pretty close to the posted time, though I can't remember when it started exactly, but we were on the street at about 10:35.  It definitely started around 10 minutes late because we were still almost to the intersection outside the theater at 7:57 and had a good amount of time in our seats before the show began.

I'll admit, this show just didn't really click with me.  I knew essentially nothing about it going in other than that it was a Pulitzer winner and the synopsis posted on its website.  I thought the relationship between the two brothers was interesting to explore, but certain issues kept coming up where I couldn't see the point of them (infidelity being a major one).  I found the first act amusing but not overly entertaining and the second act seemed to have more of a direction which I enjoyed more, though the ending was something that I predicted to my friend at intermission (but the way that it happened still surprised me).  I can certainly see how some of the topics the play addressed would be resonant, but I felt like I left the theater missing a large chunk of the deeper meaning of the show, so I'll be curious to read other people's thoughts, or if they have insight from other productions.

The set was interesting but almost felt underutilized, like I kept expecting something else to happen but it never really did.  It was a unit set for the most part, contained on a platform that reminded me a bit of Pass Over's set in a bit of an abstract way.  I probably wouldn't recommend sitting in the front row though because of this platform, which looked to be at least half a foot tall, if not a foot, and all the action takes place on there, where a corner of it is positioned quite close to the lip of the stage.  

Both actors were quite good, giving a performance that really cycled through a whole gamut of emotions, with a lot of fairly physical scenes as well, and both were very charming, especially when going through the three-card monte schtick.  The audience seemed largely appreciative, though of course it was the first preview so that's to be expected in part.

Didn't get a chance to check for merch but I do know there was some.  The mezzanine bar was perhaps the emptiest bar I've seen, as no one really seemed to linger on the mezzanine level.  TDF tickets were in row B front mezz, which was an excellent view, though very close to the sound booth, which could be something to watch out for it that would distract you (there's a small reading light on the whole time and sometimes you heard the turning of pages but I really didn't find it to be an issue at all).

mynectarines
#7TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 3:29pm

Has anyone won the lottery and if so where were the tickets? (I won for tomorrow night.) 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 5:24pm

I was at this afternoon’s matinee and I thought it was a stunning production, Hawkins and Mateen are very evenly matched and there’s a great rise-and-fall to the tension of the production before it reaches a full climax in Act II. I would highly recommend it also if you are sitting closer as there is an intimate aspect to watching the brothers circle each other like prey (a bit reminiscent of American Buffalo).

Highly recommend.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

spicemonkey
#9TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 5:54pm

quizking101 said: "I was at this afternoon’s matinee and I thought it was a stunning production, Hawkins and Mateen are very evenly matched and there’s a great rise-and-fall to the tension of the production before it reaches a full climax in Act II. I would highly recommend it also if you are sitting closer as there is an intimate aspect to watching the brothers circle each other like prey (a bit reminiscent of American Buffalo).

Highly recommend.
"

Really looking forward to this in two weeks!!

Are they selling any merch if you happen to notice?

BoringBoredBoard40
#10TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:38pm

any stagedoor reports?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:39pm

Is there really an audience for this? Doesn't appear to be selling much.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Robstriker
#12TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:45pm

I was there for today's matinee thru TDF Orchestra Row H. The back half of the Orchestra was empty. For Merch they have Tshirt/ Sweatshirt/ Tote Bag/ Actor Playing Cards and Magnets

quizking101
#13TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:44pm

In terms of merch, all the standard fare except a windowcard coming in 2 weeks 

In terms of stage door, Yahya came out after the matinee and signed/took pics for the few of us there. Super kind. Corey left long after but I ran into him on the corner while waiting for my friend and gave him an elbow bump and compliment. Also quite nice.

Kenny Leon was also hanging around for quite a while before and after the show, and he seemed genuinely happy to talk to audience members and get their reactions. I talk to him for a good few minutes and he was very pleasant and receptive to anything the audience said to him. I didn’t ask for his autograph because I thought that would be a little weird, but I did take a selfie with him. (Don’t ask about my logic there - I don’t usually strike up conversations with acclaimed directors so my brain probably short circuited in that moment)

Not entirely sure what the situation with the evening show was, but on my way back to my car from DoaS, I walked past the theater and I just saw this one lone autograph hunter with bags of stuff standing outside the door kind of looking like a lost puppy. This was probably over an hour after the show would’ve ended

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 9/28/22 at 11:44 PM

willep
#14TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/1/22 at 9:33am

I saw it last night via the lottery, my seat was center orchestra row N, a great view.

I knew nothing beyond the website synopsis and I really loved it a lot. Did I predict the end at intermission based on a certain dramatic principle, but the show is about the brothers and as a younger brother who lives with his older brother, it was fascinating for me to see their relationship and the layers of it. The two actors are giving fantastic performances and were well worth the lottery price. 

Pretty sure I saw Gaten Matarazzo leaving after the show (all by himself, which I thought was neat as I too am usually a solo theatregoer).

I’m not a stage door person, haven’t been for years, but my friend is in love with Yahya, so we stuck around and watched him come out. He seemed very nice and happy to sign for the crowd.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#15TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/7/22 at 8:07pm

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. Even if you don’t love the play, it’s a must-see for the acting alone. These are absolutely stellar performances (but I also love the play). 

More detailed thoughts here

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#16TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/8/22 at 9:13am

A suppose a "SPOILER" -- but ....When there are characters named "Lincoln" and "Booth" and a gun is introduced early in the play, I think you know where this is headed.  The strong and obvious symbolism that permeates the piece is one of the qualities that keeps it a powerful exploration of characters boxed into a socio-economic world - it also removes the play from the traditional purview of plausibility of plot. You can guess the story and ending of the play from the first five minutes, and I think that is part of its design. There is an inevitability to the fates of such characters, Ms. Park seems to be telling us.

I suppose the play is timeless, but when it was first produced over 20 years ago,  it also seemed very much of a commentary on the urban black experience of people (perhaps Ms. Park's age) who would have been children of the late 60s and early 70s.  Is this new production set period?

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#17TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/9/22 at 6:56am

Very well acted and directed. Funny yet wrenching. Recommended.

The Other One
#18TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/9/22 at 8:33am

QueenAlice said: "A suppose a "SPOILER" -- but ....When there are characters named "Lincoln" and "Booth" and a gun is introduced early in the play, I think you know where this is headed. The strong and obvious symbolism that permeates the piece is one of the qualities that keeps it a powerful exploration of characters boxed into a socio-economic world - it also removes the play from the traditional purview of plausibility of plot. You can guess the story and ending of the play from the first five minutes, and I think that is part of its design. There is an inevitability to the fates of such characters, Ms. Park seems to be telling us.

I suppose the play is timeless, but when it was first produced over 20 years ago, it also seemed very much of a commentary on the urban black experience of people (perhaps Ms. Park's age) who would have been children of the late 60s and early 70s. Is this new production set period?
"

It has not been updated, if that is what you are asking.  There is a reference in the play to African Americans hiding their African names (clearly no longer true) and photographs are taken throughout with a Polaroid camera, not a cellphone.

It is such a well-written and beautifully acted piece.  I loved and have been highly recommending it.

Updated On: 10/9/22 at 08:33 AM

quizking101
#19TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/9/22 at 9:18am

I went last night for a second time ($35 Rush - Orch Right H10) and it’s definitely getting tighter and much more intense, especially towards the ending. 

I stand by my previous statement that this is a must see show and great seats are very easy to come by so GO GO GO

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#20TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/9/22 at 9:31am

Regarding the show's setting:

The issue is, you still have a program note saying it takes place "Here" and "Now" - so clearly they didn't intend for it to come across as a period piece. Nothing in the play struck me as especially anachronistic as far as the actual content:

Maybe I misunderstood that part of the play (and I don't have the script on-hand to check), but isn't the conversation in the play about Black people TAKING ON African names, as a way of connecting with their roots? I feel like we still see that today.

And there's quite literally an entire conversation about how they don't have a phone, due to their extreme poverty. So the lack of iPhones makes perfect sense.

But as for the themes, I can't really say. It seemed relevant enough to today's world, but if there were allusions to the specific experiences of Black men born in the 70s, they went over my head. If that's the case, then I do agree it would've made more sense to either update the play, or just mark the setting differently in the program, since there's no particular reason it HAS to take place now.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#21TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/9/22 at 10:27pm

Probably the biggest detail in the script that might contradict the plausibility of it being set 'here and now' is that it seems unlikely in 2022 that a black man would be hired to portray Lincoln, in white face, in a shooting gallery in an urban city. We have at least come that far.

I don't think the script ever had overt allusions to the specific experiences of Black men born in the 70s, but I do remember reviews / analysis of the play, when it first premiered, offering that the characters might 'represent' the fully realized manifestation of the inner city underprivileged who came of age in the 60s/70s. That time in history and the black experience is not insignificant.  As people of color found themselves legally offered the promise of new civil rights and freedoms, massive urban decay and failed renewal programs in major U.S. cities turned traditionally black downtown living areas into something barely habitable, and nearly impossible to get out of.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

BoringBoredBoard40
#22TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/13/22 at 11:03pm

Saw this tonight

Really enjoyed it for the most part, Yahya and Corey are wonderful to watch, the first act sags a bit but that second act really comes alive, Corey has the flashier part and I would not be surprised to see his name come up come TONY time, my only note is it stumbles RIGHT at the last beat 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

For me, the direction here feels off, the gunshot shouldnt happen THAT fast and the fact there is no blood makes it seem a bit goofy, additionally right now Yahya is playing the screaming and crying a bit over the top and it comes across a bit greek tragedy when it should be a bit more grounded 

altogether not a bad night at the theater, and the merch was really great, they have a REALLY nice glass water bottle with a wood top which I've never really seen before, classy

PipingHotPiccolo
#23TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/16/22 at 12:35am

so glad I saw this. its such a well-written play, and sorta hits you right in the face. it reminded me of the Ferryman, actually, in that it was so well done but then included such an out-of-left-field shift towards the end that was totally unearned. i dont know if its this production or the play itself, but the character of Booth just doesnt make any sense as the play progresses.

BUT BUT BUT to see such acting, and such incredible dialogue, is to see magic. Both actors are giving absolutely incredible, full-throated, committed performances, especially Corey Hawkins. He was great in Six Degrees, and has impressed on film, but this is a whole other level. (And yes, I'm sorry, I had "meh, i only give 75%...." ringing in my ears watching these guys blow us all away for 2.5 hours). 

Fullish house, lotsa Bway folk peppered throughout. Definitely recommend.

quizking101
#24TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/16/22 at 5:04am

Mezzanine tickets are available for opening night and it looks like there are plenty

anyonecanwhistle47
#25TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Previews
Posted: 10/28/22 at 4:57pm

Anyone gone lately who could advise if they are still stage dooring at all? In town next Wednesday and would rather do matinee (which I see earlier in this thread Yayha was signing between shows), but will do evening show instead if more likely they'll sign after instead... 

Videos