pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:23pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 10/16/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: TOPDOG / UNDERDOG (13.4%), THE PIANO LESSON (9.4%), HAMILTON (4%), ALMOST FAMOUS (3.8%), LEOPOLDSTADT (2.3%), THE KITE RUNNER (2.1%), SIX (1.5%), FUNNY GIRL (0.6%), THE LION KING (0.3%), ALADDIN (0.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (0.1%), THE MUSIC MAN (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: COST OF LIVING (-18.8%), 1776 (-12.2%), DEATH OF A SALESMAN (-11.1%), INTO THE WOODS (-7.7%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-5.2%), BEETLEJUICE (-4.4%), A STRANGE LOOP (-3.7%), CHICAGO (-2.5%), WICKED (-1.7%), HADESTOWN (-1.6%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (-0.7%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.1%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

barcelona20
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:42pm

The new shows are going to need some spectacular reviews to have a chance of surviving in January.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:44pm

Some of the newer shows might not even make it to January. 

Oh look, a bibu!

hearthemsing22
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:46pm

Two thoughts I had...

1. The numbers for Hadestown make me anxious.

2. I'm glad to see Leopoldstadt doing so well! 

BoringBoredBoard40
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:51pm

I know they only had 4 previews but those KPOP numbers are not encouraging 

SueFB
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:54pm

I see that the attendance at 1776 was just a smidgen over 75%. Sounds about right. 

Updated On: 10/18/22 at 01:54 PM

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:55pm

Boy, it's rough out there for the new shows. But the LEOPOLDSTADT numbers are gratifying and so well deserved.

hearthemsing22
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:58pm

pethian said: "Boy, it's rough out there for the new shows. But the LEOPOLDSTADT numbers are gratifying and so well deserved."

I'm so thrilled for Leopoldstadt. I agree, it is completely deserved. I'm seeing it this Saturday and I'm so excited! 

gibsons2
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 1:59pm

I'm incredibly happy for Leopoldstadt and its ever increasing grosses. Word of mouth for this high quality production served them really well. Truly a gem of this season.

I have to say, last year, before MJ started previews, I was afraid it'll have the same short lived run as most of the recent juke box musicals. I couldn't have been more wrong. 

hearthemsing22
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:00pm

gibsons2 said: "I'm incredibly happy for Leopoldstadt and its ever increasing grosses. Word of mouth for this high quality production served them really well. Truly a gem of this season.

I have to say, last year, before MJ started previews, I was afraid it'll have the same short lived run as most of the recent juke box musicals. I couldn't have been more wrong.
"

I felt that way when MJ's previous idea was about...his glove?? Like...what????? I'm so happy they did not do that-this is leaps and bounds better than that ever would have been 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:03pm

Of note this week, THE PIANO LESSON opened at the Barrymore 10/13. TOPDOG/UNDERDOG is in previews at the Golden and opens 10/20. ALMOST FAMOUS is in previews at the Jacobs and opens 11/3. KIMBERLY AKIMBO began previews at the Booth and opens 11/10. KPOP began previews at Circle in the Square and opens 11/20. A Note About WICKED: There were two capacities at the Gershwin Theatre this week. Four performances had 1,807 seats and four performances had 1,926 seats, for a total capacity of 14,932. As this report cannot accommodate both capacities, the figure 1,867 was used.

What's going on a WICKED? Is the rear mezz getting closed off during the week?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jakeevan942
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:04pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I know they only had 4 previews but those KPOP numbers are not encouraging"

They did sell a whole bunch of preview tickets at a $19 price point, and, by my view, several rows of seats were knocked out for tech tables through at least the first night-more than I see at the first performance of most new pieces. Let's not count it out after 4 previews.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:12pm

I’m guessing Topdog had majority of comps since the average ticket price is roughly $40. I know rush is $35-$40. I’m hoping it gets positive reviews when it opens on Thursday.

I’m hoping KPOP will do better as it gets more media exposure. I have tix to see it again next weekend. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:26pm

Julie Benko selling out Thursday nights is still wild to me. "A rising tide lifts all boats," indeed.

BETTY22
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 2:42pm

In changing times, I love that there is still a Broadway audience for Leopoldstadt.

Maybe Broadway is changing faster than the people who go and see Broadway shows!!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 3:08pm

The grosses for Leopoldstadt are particularly encouraging given all the antisemitism in the headlines this month.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 5:11pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Julie Benko selling out Thursday nights is still wild to me. "A rising tide lifts all boats," indeed."

I do wonder how much of that is confusion in the marketplace. I might wager that 25% of buyers showed up thinking they were seeing Lea (even tho it has been heavily noted that she doesn’t play Thursdays).

Like when Hugh Jackman was out of MM, but the show still did more than $1M, because people either thought he was gonna be in or didn’t cancel their tickets.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 5:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Julie Benko selling out Thursday nights is still wild to me. "A rising tide lifts all boats," indeed."

I do wonder how much of that is confusion in the marketplace. I might wager that 25% of buyers showed up thinking they were seeing Lea (even tho it has been heavily noted that she doesn’t play Thursdays).

Like when Hugh Jackman was out of MM, but the show still did more than $1M, because people either thought he was gonna be in or didn’t cancel their tickets.
"

Oh, I'm sure it's happening, but to what extent is the question. The casting alert on the app isn't obvious at all, and I have no doubt that people are missing it on there, in addition to any non-SeatGeek resales.

MadsonMelo
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 5:37pm

Hadestown, my friend, I need you to go up!

I still gagged that Into the Woods is making 1.2M+ without a NAME, good for them.

Which new show closes first is my guessing game right now!

BoringBoredBoard40
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 6:11pm

I would venture to guess Kimberly or K-Pop go first

Also Into The Woods has Two TONY winners and multiple TONY nominees in the cast so I wouldn't say it is lacking "names" 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 7:07pm

There’s definitely a good chunk of people who go in thinking they’re getting Leah on Thursdays. Some have even said “we didn’t know until we sat down”, despite multiple avenues of digital alerting and the big sign out front that has Julie’s face and name on it. I can only imagine there’s still a chunk of people who think Sara is still in ITW, albeit a small chunk. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

SouthernCakes
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 9:13pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I would venture to guess Kimberly or K-Pop go first

Also Into The Woods has Two TONY winners and multiple TONY nominees in the cast so I wouldn't say it is lacking "names"
"

Based on one week of partial previews? Lordy. 
Both have great investors and they know what they’re doing. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 9:22pm

SouthernCakes said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I would venture to guess Kimberly or K-Pop go first

"

Based on one week of partial previews? Lordy.
Both have great investors and they know what they’re doing.
"

lolz ok we get it you work on one of these shows, chiil out my guy 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 10:19pm

Based on one week of partial previews? Lordy. Both have great investors and they know what they’re doing."

Exactly. The tween who doesn't know what they are talking about is very amusing. And of course when you make sense and make a valid point you must be WoRkInG fOr tHe ShOw.

Lolz. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 10/16/22
Posted: 10/18/22 at 10:38pm

The reality is that TONY awards and TONY nominations don’t turn actors into bankable “names.”

Or rather, there’s a pivotal difference between a Broadway “name” and a TV/movie/music name, where the box office is concerned (and this is a thread about the box office).

This has been demonstrated consistently, time and time again. Broadway names don’t hurt, but they don’t sell enough tickets to make or break their recoupment because their sphere of “fame” is too niche and insular. And even having a successful TV/film/music career doesn’t guarantee butts in seats, as other recent/current examples have shown. 

So yes, it is very impressive that Into the Woods is continuing to rack up $1.2MM grosses without any names.