pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread- Page 4

FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#75FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 11:04am

TNick926 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Yes that was me on the Southbound A-Train belting my little Puerto Rican heart out on my way to work! LOL!"

Picturing this as I'm sitting here listening to the cast album myself is bringing me JOY today! Happy Friday, kindred spirit! :)
"

Happy Friday! :)

CatLady3
#76FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 11:47am

The Music That Makes Me Dance is superb. While the OBC version is of course magnificent, I prefer Lea's phrasing and the current arrangement with the faster tempo (3:02 vs 3:51). And the orchestration on the original version, while beautiful, was a bit distracting.

absalom
#77FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 12:15pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Seems strange to say it, but "Who Are You Now (Reprise)" is my favorite song in the show now, at least in this production. When I saw it with Beanie, it hardly registered as anything, but with Julie and Lea, it became the emotional high point of the second act, and the main reason it works for me now. Honestly, I think even the second half of the movie would be less of a slog if they included it, although Omar Sharif wasn't half the singer Ramin is. When the harmony clicks, though, it's absolutely gorgeous."

Goosebumps and a little teary. It’s definitely the track I keep coming back to. Really wonderful stuff between two phenomenal singers.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#78FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 1:56pm

My God, this is glorious. What is it makes you so exquisite? Let me count the ways:

Lea sounds incredible, as do all the other principals. Ramin can step on me and I would still thank him. The entire orchestra is on top of their game. Styne and Merrill's late Golden Age score is the (greatest) star here; even the lesser-known numbers pack a punch. The album works much better without the cheap design, questionable directorial choices, and iffy book, especially in act two.

I will say that there is more of an effect for some of these numbers inside the August Wilson. The comedy of "His Love Makes Me Beautiful" and the stunningly realized bits of dialogue between Brice and Arnstein (and that kiss!) before the final chorus of "People" are missing here, for instance.

It feels refreshing to hear Lea sing her big songs without rowdy audience applause drowning out her money notes. "Cornet Man" is especially right in her wheelhouse. 

Ramin sounds great, but he's even better live. I found it a bit weird that "Temporary Arrangement" begins here with "Hey, Mr. Arnstein... here's your ace" instead of starting from the beginning of the "pip with pizazz" motif as in the show: "Please, Fanny, don't hold too tight / Give me some air and some light...", and so on.

Tovah, Jared, and the ensemble do amazing work. "Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat" works better here, and I was finally able to decipher some of Lea's ridiculous "Private Schwartz" schtick. "Henry Street" and "Sadie, Sadie" hold the live edge. Justin Prescott's clever prop moment in the latter always gets a nice laugh: "The owner of an ice box... with a ten-year guarantee." It felt nice to hear the OG ensemblists in this revival, after I saw many swings go on a couple months ago.

All that's left to say is, wow. Wow, wow, wow. The Macy's parade on Thursday better start with Lea marching her band out and beating her drum. 

Oh look, a bibu!

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#79FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 2:10pm

Add me to the chorus who wants a vinyl pressing. This is a stunning recording. I’m thankful we have this with someone who can actually sing the score.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

hearthemsing22
#80FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 2:22pm

I think they did mention a vinyl will be coming-January? I think? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#81FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 2:23pm

Have to say, this new cast recording is insane perfection.  Lea completely owns this new FUNNY GIRL without any comparisons to Streisand’s 1964 original. Anyone saying she’s imitating Streisand is a total clueless idiot.  The almost-2 minute “Eddie’s Tap” track is pointless as this is an audio recording so his tap dancing can’t be seen, but I respect they wanted Grimes to have a record of his Tony Award nominated performance, even if we can’t see it. Tovah and the rest of the cast truly are magical.  Love the bits of dialogue included to give a sense of performance.  

BETTY22
#82FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 2:26pm

FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread

WOW - number SIX on ITUNE top 200 charts. 

Updated On: 11/18/22 at 02:26 PM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#83FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 2:27pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I think they did mention a vinyl will be coming-January? I think?"

Physical CD was announced for release on January 20, 2023. No vinyl pressing was hinted at or even mentioned as a possibility.  

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#84FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 3:05pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "The almost-2 minute “Eddie’s Tap” track is pointless as this is an audio recording so his tap dancing can’t be seen, but I respect they wanted Grimes to have a record of his Tony Award nominated performance, even if we can’t see it."

I agree. I would have preferred they include the Entr’acte or curtain call music over the tap track. I understand they wanted to feature Grimes since he was Tony nominated* but it’s a track I’ll be skipping on repeated listenings.

*Thanks for the correction, BCfitasafiddle

Updated On: 11/18/22 at 03:05 PM

BCfitasafiddle
#85FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 3:08pm

Grimes did not win a Tony.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#86FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 3:08pm

"Anyone saying she’s imitating Streisand is a total clueless idiot."

I completely agree. Before I saw her in the show, I figured that she may try to channel Barbra in her performance and mimic the OBCR, however she definitely created a character all her own, and it was quite impressive. I knew her vocals would be powerful, but was more blown away with the details and the care she took to create a different Fanny from all of her predecessors.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#87FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 3:16pm

the inclusion of what do happy people do makes me sad they didn’t include i’d rather be blue over you

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BCfitasafiddle
#88FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 3:49pm

I would've loved the entr'acte, I'd Rather Be Blue, and exit music all recorded. But, oh well. Happy this recording exists at all.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#89FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 8:17pm

WOW WOW WOW! Listened to the whole album while at the gym. Now, this cast album is perfection. Lea's vocals are insane and she sounds amazing totally giving a STAR-TONY performance coupled with superb support from the original cast.Even the remarkable Tovah Feldshuh elevates the material-songs to another level with her wry humor and sounds great. If you haven't see FG live this stunning recording will give you chills from every number until the act 2 finale where (Lea blows the roof off the Wilson holding that last note) but seeing it live is a whole other electrifying experience! So happy they did this with LEA! It will be nominated for best cast album next season and have a good chance of winning awards... it's that good and will go down as one of the best Broadway cast albums! Hello, Grammy!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/20/22 at 08:17 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#90FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 8:46pm

This is a Tony winning performance. I know people disagreed with my thought that someone could solve the problem re: replacement Tony but I just don’t believe someone can’t solve this. It could be a special Tony or SOMETHING but the Tony awards should be about excellence on Broadway. If they can’t recognise this I do think something is wrong. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#91FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 9:21pm

There is still something missing in the musical direction of this show.  Every performance I've seen of this production (Beanie in person, Julie Benko's public performances, and now this cast recording) there's a certain lyricism missing.  Moments just don't seem to land.  The place it is most apparent to me in this recording is "Don't Rain on My Parade".  Lea has great tone - but the momentum doesn't build in the song the way it should - and by the end it is so rushed that she can barely get out "Nobody, no, nobody" before singing the end of the song while mostly staying on one note instead of alternating notes as written in the score.  

Perhaps Rob Berman's into the woods has spoiled me, but as a presentation of the score, this recording really seems to be missing the mark.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#92FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 9:26pm

kidmanboy said: "There is still something missing in the musical direction of this show. Every performance I've seen of this production (Beanie in person, Julie Benko's public performances, and now this cast recording) there's a certain lyricism missing. Moments just don't seem to land. The place it is most apparent to me in this recording is "Don't Rain on My Parade". Lea has great tone - but the momentum doesn't build in the song the way it should - and by the end it is so rushed that she can barely get out "Nobody, no, nobody" before singing the end of the song while mostly staying on one note instead of alternating notes as written in the score.

Perhaps Rob Berman's into the woods has spoiled me, but as a presentation of the score, this recording really seems to be missing the mark.
"

Have to disagree as you're missing the mark.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CChang 2
#93FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 12:30am

I agree, Lea sounds flawless on this recording in all songs but especially Parade. Beanie fans are interesting.

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#94FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 1:11am

Wowza! I have been following the "dramar"  of this production from day one but have not seen the show. Never been a huge fan of Lea, but she more than delivers.  This is a magnificent recording. Well done to all involved. This will be on my playlist for some time. Bravo!! 

CarlosAlberto
#95FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 1:35am

Ask me why I was shimmying my way down 8th Avenue to the tune of Cornet Man. LOL

Updated On: 11/19/22 at 01:35 AM

CarlosAlberto
#96FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 1:39am

I just have to say that they made a big mistake of not including Cornet Man in the film version. That song is FIRE! 

CatLady3
#97FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 5:39am

Anyone notice the glitch at 3:44 of Finale Act 2? Hope they fix it!

lkerr2 Profile Photo
lkerr2
#98FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 6:24am

CarlosAlberto said: "Ask me why I was shimmying my way down 8th Avenue to the tune of Cornet Man. LOL"

I'm in another country right now but was doing the same while I was running errands around the city earlier lol. Cornet Man is definitely the surprising standout for me.

The Pesky Pescatarian Profile Photo
The Pesky Pescatarian
#99FUNNY GIRL 2022 New Broadway Cast Recording Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 7:12am

CORNET MAN SUPREMECY!!!! Love to see it!!!!

I'm slowly making my way through the songs. I'll probably run the whole thing on Wednesday when my kitchen will be all Broadway all day as I cook, lol. I'm holding off on the Finale because that is truly my love. Please, don't tell me there's a glitch! That will bum me out so bad!

My only criticism so far is that I wish they would have included the dialog break before that final part of People. I just love how Lea sings that part in the show and it feels like the Fanny/Nicky stuff gives the proper momentum into it (plus I just love dialog on cast recordings, give me that over the tap anytime). Still, I just love the sweetness and warmth with which Lea sings that song. That Fallon performance really transformed me from being that song's #1 hater out here.cheeky