pixeltracker

Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?

Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?

forfivemoreminutes
#1Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/24/22 at 9:27pm

I'm considering seeing Phantom on my upcoming trip to NYC in December. I've seen Phantom three times on tour and I've never enjoyed it...I always find it too long and just boring. There are only three songs I really like in the whole show. However, I've never seen it in NYC and I've heard that the staging is very different and much more exciting in NYC, so I'm wondering if I should give the show another chance, particularly given that it will be closing soon. 

If so, does anyone have suggestions for where to find tickets? It's sold out except for a few $500 "premium" seats every single day I'll be in NYC.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
Phillyguy
#4Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/24/22 at 11:21pm

Watch the 25th Anniversary Concert at the Royal Albert Hall. If you love it, then maybe it’s worth a trip to see the original staging. If not, then maybe Phantom isn’t your thing. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 7:32am

Depends on which tour you saw. If you saw the most recent tour with completely new staging, then I would definitely consider revisiting the show on Broadway to see the Brilliant Original. However, $500 is mighty steep...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Broadway61004
#6Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 9:27am

35 years ago, maybe. But honestly, the spectacle doesn't hold up to today's technology. Which is fine--I'm actually very glad they left Phantom alone all these years instead of trying to update it. But if you don't like the show, there's nothing about the Broadway staging that is going to make you say "wow!" and suddenly make it much more enjoyable.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#7Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:04am

No, if you don't like the show, this production isn't better than others. See KPOP instead. Have fun!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:14am

Where did you sit when you watched it on tour?

I’ve seen Phantom at the Majestic from rear size mezz all the way to front orchestra and sitting up front makes the experience so much better. I was able to see it up front thanks to the digital Phantom lottery.

I’m not sure if lottery seats are still located in front orch these days but give the lottery a try while you’re here in nyc. I agree with others that $500 to see Ohantom is $$$. I’d only pay that if I’m a Broadway history geek and want to watch a Tony award winning Best musical from the 1980s in person. They definitely don’t produce musicals like this anymore.

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#9Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:16am

This just baffles me. Why would you have even seen it 3 times if you don't like it? It is not as if the Broadway production has better songs? Do you think an extra set piece or costume change will make you like it more? There are so many other options, why would you waste the time and money? I just don't understand why you would even consider it. 

What other shows are you planning on attending?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#10Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:25am

I think some people on this thread are not understanding the HUGE differences between the most recent US tour (directed by Laurence Connor), and the Brilliant Original. If the OP has ONLY seen the reimagined tour, I can 100% understand why they didn't like the show. That production has an entirely different design that is the dictionary definitions of cheap and tacky. I'm not saying they will love it on Broadway, but there is a very big difference between the productions, and one is definitely superior to the other in every aspect.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

forfivemoreminutes
#11Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:37am

Thanks everyone for your feedback and suggestions! To answer everyone's questions:

I've seen it three times because the first time my parents took me when I was about ten, the second time I went when I was about nineteen and had forgotten that I didn't really like the show, and the third time was the 2018 tour when it was in Toronto (https://www.mirvish.com/learn/show-archives/the-phantom-of-the-opera-2018) because I thought maybe I'd judged it too harshly when I saw it when I was younger and that it might be an acquired taste and something I'd like better as an adult. (It wasn't.)

The most recent time I saw it on tour in 2018, I was in the fifth or sixth row of the orchestra in the centre - great seats, but I was still bored. :)

Obviously I know the songs are the same and if I find them generally boring, I might find the show on Broadway boring too, but people have told me that the staging on Broadway is substantially different and more exciting and that I should see it because it's closing and that I might regret not seeing it, etc. Hence why I'm considering it. If I do decide to see it, my preference would be to see a Thursday matinee so I don't have to give up another show slot for it (to my knowledge there are no other Thursday matinees, except for Yiddish Fiddler, which I will be seeing a different day). 

The other shows I'm seeing on my trip are...basically all of the shows I haven't already seen. Kimberly Akimbo, The Piano Lesson, Some Like It Hot, Death of a Salesman, K-POP, Downstate, Yiddish Fiddler, Almost Famous, and I'm going to try to see A Strange Loop and Into the Woods again before they close.

Updated On: 11/25/22 at 11:37 AM

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#12Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 11:52am

Wow, you are really packing them in! Enjoy! 

Broadway61004
#13Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 1:57pm

bwayphreak234 said: "I think some people on this thread are not understanding the HUGE differences between the most recent US tour (directed by Laurence Connor), and the Brilliant Original. If the OP has ONLY seen the reimagined tour, I can 100% understand why they didn't like the show. That production has an entirely different design that is the dictionary definitions of cheap and tacky. I'm not saying they will love it on Broadway, but there is a very big difference between the productions, and one is definitely superior to the other in every aspect."

Nor at all saying there isn't a huge difference between the productions. I'm just saying that if the OP has seen shows like Wicked and Lion King or even things like Moulin Rouge with their extravagant sets, the spectacle of Phantom isn't anywhere near those shows at this point. Phantom in 1988 was incredible and I remember being blown away by the spectacle back then. But now, while it's in no way bad, if you've already seen the huge technical elements of those other productions, seeing a chandelier lowered over the audience isn't going to wow you nearly as much. It's still impressive, but I don't think so impressive that it would make someone who didn't already enjoy the show suddenly fall in love with it because of the design elements.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#14Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 2:53pm

Broadway61004 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "I think some people on this thread are not understanding the HUGE differences between the most recent US tour (directed by Laurence Connor), and the Brilliant Original. If the OP has ONLY seen the reimagined tour, I can 100% understand why they didn't like the show. That production has an entirely different design that is the dictionary definitions of cheap and tacky. I'm not saying they will love it on Broadway, but there is a very big difference between the productions, and one is definitely superior to the other in every aspect."

Nor at all saying there isn't a huge difference between the productions. I'm just saying that if the OP has seen shows like Wicked and Lion King or even things like Moulin Rouge with their extravagant sets, the spectacle of Phantom isn't anywhere near those shows at this point. Phantom in 1988 was incredible and I remember being blown away by the spectacle back then. But now, while it's in no way bad, if you've already seen the huge technical elements of those other productions, seeing a chandelier lowered over the audience isn't going to wow you nearly as much. It's still impressive, but I don't think so impressive that it would make someone who didn't already enjoy the show suddenly fall in love with it because of the design elements.
"

I'd still say that Phantom's set design is more impressive than those of Wicked, Lion King and MR put together.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

chrishuyen
#15Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 6:41pm

As someone who loves Phantom, I do think that if you don't like the music then it can really be a slog to get through, and if you can appreciate the music as it is then that combined with the original Hal Prince staging really makes for a spectacle of a show (not having Masquerade/Why So Silent on a staircase just feels wrong to me).  So if you are willing to sit through the music again, then I'd say it's worth the trip (though perhaps not $500, maybe around $200).  

Though also, you mentioned the previous times you've seen it outside of the most recent tour.  I'm assuming those were more similar to the original staging but do you happen to remember the differences?  Because if you remember those well then the main thing seeing it on Broadway would get you is just a more intimate theater (but I'm not quite sure how different earlier tours were anyway).

Phantom4ever
#16Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/25/22 at 8:29pm

This is a tough question because the answer would seem to always be "yes duh of course you should see Phantom on Broadway" but if you have already seen the touring Phantom THREE TIMES and do not like it, I really do not think you will be convinced otherwise seeing it on Broadway. 

That said, the absolutely ridiculous claims on this thread that Moulin Rouge, Lion King, and Wicked can come even remotely close to the absolute wonder of stagecraft and theatrical brilliance that is Maria Bjornson and Harold Prince is laughable at best and downright ill-informed at worst. So Elphaba stands on a cherry picker and that is supposed to represent an advancement in theater tech? What elements of Moulin Rouge are inventive?  

And besides that, Harold Prince and Maria Bjornson were not trying to use the latest and greatest in theater tech. Just about every interview they gave, they talked about the original 19th century machinery still under the stage at Her Majesty's that was used to create most of the effects in Phantom. All of that had to be specially created for the Majestic of course.  It is comical to see people think that Phantom is relying in 1988 technology when it is really a showcase of 1898 technology and how timeless classic theater tech can be. You don't need constant flashing lights, or projections, or videos, believe it or not. 

So yes, there is something special about seeing the candelabras rise from the stage and then roll across the "water" as opposed to the original tour where they are just tracked out from the side. 

The question is do you spend $500 assumedly-hard-earned dollars on a show you've seen three times and hated, or do you see something else?  There rare no video screens, no projections, and nothing else that screams UPDATED! CURRENT! about Phantom on Broadway, so you're probably better off seeing something else. But just keep in mind: once this production closes, you won't see anything like it ever again on a Broadway stage. 

dangeresque49
#17Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/28/22 at 12:41am

I didn't realize how high price have gone considering the closing. I saw phantom twice, once in the box and once in the partial view side orchestra from the other side. I was able to move in to more full view as there were unsold seats shortly after the start, To me this was the show where you could stop at the box office last minute and get an affordable seat that couldn't be beat. Ben Crawford has one of the best voices I have ever heard in a theater and his performance was amazing. This show has a 30 piece orchestra because it is so old pre dates the changes to downsize to I think 12 now. The performers overall might not get a lot of talk because of the show not being in any awards talk but they are generally some of the best of the best. The sound design in particular is still as good or better than anything on Broadway now. I have seen both the lion king and wicked and would not put phantom much behind in regards to set design. I think it is more of a preference. 

I don't think anything is worth 500 on Broadway though. unless you are going to regret seeing this for the rest of your life. I know some people have limited opportunity to get to nyc though. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#18Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/28/22 at 7:20am

I believe Phantom still sells standing room if it is sold out. If you don't mind standing, that may be an option for you. SRO at Phantom is $27 according to playbill.com

Ensemble1665759202
#19Is Phantom on Broadway worth seeing if I haven't liked other productions of it?
Posted: 11/28/22 at 8:37pm

Wick3 said: "I believe Phantom still sells standing room if it is sold out. If you don't mind standing, that may be an option for you. SRO at Phantom is $27 according to playbill.com"

Yep - did this a few weeks ago. The downside is that as you said it's only an option if it's sold out, but also that even when it's sold out you can only buy standing room tickets on the day of the performance from like 9/10am, so it can be hard if you need to plan ahead of time.