NY NY casting

hak5 Profile Photo
hak5
#1NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 2:54pm

Any idea when we'll hear news of casting for NY NY ?

Lunalaaaaaaaa
#2NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 3:25pm

Also interested in this. Basically heard 0 so far about casting.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 3:42pm

Anna Uzele

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#4NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 3:43pm

It's not selling well, it has no discounts, and a decent seat is 300 dollars. They better have A+++++ talent for this one. Camelot has great discounts, has announced their stellar cast and is selling well. 

New York, New York: This ain't the move. Take note. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#5NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 3:51pm

LuPita2 said: "Camelot has great discounts, has announced their stellar cast and is selling well."

Apples and oranges.

CAMELOT is a revival, produced by a nonprofit with a robust member base, with a talented cast who will not sell any significant amount of tickets on their name value. It was announced in March 2022.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK is a new musical based on source material with mixed reputation, it's a commercial production, and it announced in October 2022. There are many more unknowns about this show than CAMELOT.

Obviously NY NY has much work to do, but it's also early enough that they shouldn't be spending mass amounts of money on advertising. Previews begin in almost 3 months. It, like other shows, will ramp up spending and advertising in early 2023. Whether those efforts yield positive sales results is another matter.

Another item of note: CAMELOT was one of the few Spring shows that sent Direct Mail out before Christmas. I don't know if that will help or hurt, but it's notable, since most other shows are waiting until January.

Updated On: 12/28/22 at 03:51 PM

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#6NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 3:57pm

It doesn't matter that you think two musicals debuting in the Spring are completely different. They are two musicals opening around the same time. When looking at tickets to both, one can see that one is selling great and has an awesome cast. The other one is over priced and has no casting announced.

Jarethan
#7NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 4:23pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "LuPita2 said: "Camelot has great discounts, has announced their stellar cast and is selling well."

Apples and oranges.

CAMELOT is a revival, produced by a nonprofit with a robust member base, with a talented cast who will not sell any significant amount of tickets on their name value. It was announced in March 2022.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK is a new musical based on source material with mixed reputation, it's a commercial production, and it announced in October 2022. There are many more unknowns about this show than CAMELOT.

Obviously NY NY has much work to do, but it's also early enough that they shouldn't be spending mass amounts of money on advertising. Previews begin in almost 3 months. It, like other shows, will ramp up spending and advertising in early 2023. Whether those efforts yield positive sales results is another matter.

Another item of note: CAMELOT was one of the few Spring shows that sent Direct Mail out before Christmas. I don't know if that will help or hurt, but it's notable, since most other shows are waiting until January.
"

NYNY also has another issue to combat. NYNY the movie is NOT a beloved classic….it is a movie that a lot of people — including me — thought was terrible, with a few musical exceptions.  To me, the male lead was not a likeable character and the romance was a downer.
We have heard rumors that they are not going to be in the show / are going to be characters in a larger ensemble.  We heard that LMM is only doing lyrics for a few songs, and etc.

The sooner we learn something tangible, the sooner interest will start to take off or, depending on what we learn, may stay stagnant until whenever, if ever.

I certainly would love for it to be a huge hit, especially for John Kander.  Depending on what we learn re LMM’s actual involvement, that could have a positive impact or none at all.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 4:37pm

I wonder if they're looking at numbers of some of these shows and making a phone call like "Hey, Lin - how fun would it be to star in this show, too?!"

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#9NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 4:37pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Anna Uzele"

Welp, that won't sell any tickets. Not that she is untalented or not up to the demands of role, but they really need an name. I'm sorry, but have a sinking feeling about this one. We will have to wait and see. I, as always, wish them well. Prove me wrong and I will be as happy as a clam. 

JSquared2
#10NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 4:39pm

LuPita2 said: "It doesn't matter that you think two musicals debuting in the Spring are completely different. They are two musicals opening around the same time. When looking at tickets to both, one can see that one is selling great and has an awesome cast. The other one is over priced and has no casting announced."

You're comparing apples to oranges.  CAMELOT is at a subscriber-based NFP with a huge membership  (mostly elderly) who know the title.  The other is a commercial production of a brand new show based on a mostly forgotten film from the 1970's.  Also the 3 stars of CAMELOT mean nothing to the average person outside of people on this board -- it's the title (plus the LCT pedigree) that are moving tickets.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#11NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 4:47pm

I disagree, this musical is famous, the name of the show is the name of the city, the legendary film had LIZA in it, with Deniro and a famous director. The songs NY NY, The world goes round, The man I love, Happy Endings, are absolutely iconic. It would be nice to have a star in it, Anne Hathaway would sell the s*** out of it, but it will sell well without stars. It's like Funny Girl or Moulin Rouge, they sold ok without stars (I didn't know Benie, so she wasn't a star for me, of course a real star like Lea with talent, sells much better) and Karen Olivo although a talented and known Tony Award winning Broadway star, not sure if she was selling the show, the movie and Lady Marmalade were selling the show, and they are still selling it even though the show is terrible.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#12NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 5:08pm

I've written about this before but no, the movie isn't really "famous" besides the song and the knowledge with some people that it exists. It's not available to stream anywhere and never has been. That means that since the death of the video store the only way to see this is to purchase the DVD and even that wasn't available for a long while. So in a world where most people I know don't even have DVD players (don't get me started on my "we need to keep physical media thriving" rant), the film that was never particularly popular to begin with has become even more forgotten with no real way for anyone to conveniently refresh their memories of it. 

If a show based on Marilyn Monroe's (arguably) most popular film - that CAN be found at any online rental site and has never really been "unpopular" can't do well on Broadway, than I do worry for this one. They need STAR POWER and they'd better pray they get it to sell out the St. James. 

Now, all that said, the film holds a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes so it's not exactly a "beloved classic" and that means they have the opportunity to basically rewrite history with it and make it better, so people NOT seeing the film might actually help them sell tickets. But they need to have that casting to get those tickets sold. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#13NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 5:34pm

muscle23ftl said: "I disagree, this musical is famous, the name of the show is the name of the city, the legendary film had LIZA in it, with Deniro and a famous director. The songs NY NY, The world goes round, The man I love, Happy Endings, are absolutely iconic. It would be nice to have a star in it, Anne Hathaway would sell the s*** out of it, but it will sell well without stars. It's like Funny Girl or Moulin Rouge, they sold ok without stars (I didn't know Benie, so she wasn't a star for me, of course a real star like Lea with talent, sells much better) and Karen Olivo although a talented and known Tony Award winning Broadway star, not sure if she was selling the show, the movie and Lady Marmalade were selling the show, and they are still selling it even though the show is terrible."

LOL

bwaylvsong1
#14NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 6:32pm

The show is not yet fully cast, so I’d imagine that a press release will go out after the full cast is set.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#15NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 6:38pm

Lola Getz2 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Anna Uzele"

Welp, that won't sell any tickets. Not that she is untalented or not up to the demands of role, but they really need an name. I'm sorry, but have a sinking feeling about this one. We will have to wait and see. I, as always, wish them well. Prove me wrong and I will be as happy as a clam.

"

100%! Anna Uzele is a nobody she won't sell tickets! Is Stro crazy? Just look at SLIH nobody wants to see it unfortunately and we thought it was going to be a big hit! NY NY  - It needs names.!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 12/28/22 at 06:38 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 7:44pm

When it comes to new musicals, almost every producer’s wish is that “the show’s the star.” A star is gone after 6-12 months, and sometimes the public views them as intrinsic to their enjoyment of the show. And unless you get someone who’s a BIG, BIG name, it won’t move the needle much to have like…a Tony winner + a B-list or C-list TV person.

Can its sales turn around? Sure. Will they pitch a performance of the title song and other standards on every morning & late-night show, and lean into that in their TV spot? That’s probably already in the works.

The perceived similarity to SLIH won’t help either show. And those audiences are not that different from  Funny Girl and Sweeney, too. There’s a lot of “similar” product in the marketplace.

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#17NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 7:47pm

So what NYNY needs is Beyonce and Will Smith in the title roles to sell tickets. Well, maybe not Smith...

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#18NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 8:09pm

David10086 said: "So what NYNY needs is Beyonce and Will Smith in the title roles to sell tickets. Well, maybe not Smith..."

Zendaya is the type of star the show needs to sell tickets nobody knows the other one

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#19NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 8:17pm

bwaylvsong1 said: "The show is not yet fully cast, so I’d imagine that a press release will go out after the full cast is set."

They will need a star for the Deniro part for Broadway! I wonder why they didn't get Adrienne Warren for this? She's far more interesting to watch on stage and a better singer-actress-dancer basically a star presence on stage and a TONY winner for Tina. I thought Anna Uzele was the weakest of the wives and the least interesting in Six.

Updated On: 12/28/22 at 08:17 PM

Jarethan
#20NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 8:33pm

muscle23ftl said: "I disagree, this musical is famous, the name of the show is the name of the city, the legendary film had LIZA in it, with Deniro and a famous director. The songs NY NY, The world goes round, The man I love, Happy Endings, are absolutely iconic. It would be nice to have a star in it, Anne Hathaway would sell the s*** out of it, but it will sell well without stars. It's like Funny Girl or Moulin Rouge, they sold ok without stars (I didn't know Benie, so she wasn't a star for me, of course a real star like Lea with talent, sells much better) and Karen Olivo although a talented and known Tony Award winning Broadway star, not sure if she was selling the show, the movie and Lady Marmalade were selling the show, and they are still selling it even though the show is terrible

i could not disagree more.  The movie was a slog the first time I saw it  and is one of the key reasons Minnelli’s film career tanked so quickly (that and Lucky Lady).

Moulin Rouge the movie is credited by many to reinventing the movie musical.  The show got great publicity because of the movie, the publicity re its incredible physical production, great up-front work in getting its name out, etc.  it was the star being advertised.  Funny Girl was the first revival after opening almost 60years older, Beanie had a fan-base that bought a lot of tickets up-front.  NYNY has nothing but the song, the Kander name (which did. I good for his last two terrific musicals, the Miranda name, which is really being downplayed as a minor contribution.  If SLIH, which is based on a movie frequently referred to as the greatest film comedy ever and a film classic can’t garner interest after what would have been termed many money reviews, NYNY is going to need some real stars and some great advanced publicity to spark interest and also get great  reviews.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#21NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 8:39pm

If the female lead is actually Anna Uzele (who no one has ever heard of) this will fail miserably.

"Here is a new musical from a movie that barely anyone under 50 has ever seen, 300 dollar tickets and starring a woman that no one knows!"

They seem like geniuses. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#22NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 9:33pm

Robbie2 said: "I wonder why they didn't get Adrienne Warren for this? She's far more interesting to watch on stage and a better singer-actress-dancer basically a star presence on stage and a TONY winner for Tina."

Adrienne barely means more than Anna.

Beyond that, shows often don't get their first choices in casting. If Adrienne doesn't want to do it, nobody can forcer her to do so. She can and should be choosy in selecting her return to Broadway.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#23NY NY casting
Posted: 12/28/22 at 11:48pm

You will never get an A-list celeb to commit to a new musical. A revival yes, as we’ve seen time and time again. New musicals are far too risky and no agent/manager would ever recommend their client take that on. 

B212323
#24NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 2:26am

Who did the workshop earlier this year? Does anyone know? 

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#25NY NY casting
Posted: 12/29/22 at 7:19am

I’m sure I’ve seen Jeremy Jordan mentioned.

Videos