pixeltracker

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 7

PARADE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#150PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 10:50pm

JoeW4 said: "Has anyone here ever experienced a scenario where an entire limited run (even one of 2-4 months) sold out in a matter of hours, in a Broadway-sized theatre? I've seen it happen in London, but never heard of it happening here. But then again I don't get tickets in advance very often, so it's possible that it happens more than I realize."

The Music Man has entered the chat.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

expectingtheworst
#151PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 10:59pm

Luscious said: "Demand For Broadway’s ‘Parade’ With Ben Platt Temporarily Crashes Ticketing Site

I mean this proves that it was just a giant press stunt i think.  They put it on sale at the same time as Broadway week knowing it would crash the system (i fully understand that telecharge has it's issues) but like if you take a look at the performances for parade... it's just a flat out lie. 

Deadline was also one of the first to post the original announcement so they probably had an embargoed release and then did this follow up piece.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#152PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 11:45pm

Luscious said: "Demand For Broadway’s ‘Parade’ With Ben Platt Temporarily Crashes Ticketing Site

"So not true, nope - wrong! Just an item placed by the PR team to the press. The whole site Telecharge was down in general not because of demand for Parade tickets. 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#153PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 11:50pm

You all are so wise and all-knowing. I'm in awe. Of course! Telecharge wanted their website to crash! Why wouldn't they? Makes perfect sense.

Updated On: 1/11/23 at 11:50 PM

expectingtheworst
#154PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/11/23 at 11:57pm

Robbie2 said: "Luscious said: "Demand For Broadway’s ‘Parade’ With Ben Platt Temporarily Crashes Ticketing Site

"So not true, nope - wrong! Just an item placed by the PR team to the press. The whole site Telecharge was down in general not because of demand for Parade tickets.

yup - I mean just look at who the PR team is the other random bs they've placed.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#155PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 10:35am

The whole marketing of this is bizarre. This is a somber heavy piece with maybe the most depressing synopsis for any broadway show ever and they’re really treating it like “BEN PLATT IS BACK!” 

Very weird

StefanieBway<3
#156PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 10:44am

I wasn't fortunate enough to see that performance, but even comparing the versions of TINOY from Jeremy Jordan and Ben Platt... Platt's voice was made for that song. Very excited for this revival

JasonC3
#157PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 12:53pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "The whole marketing of this is bizarre. This is a somber heavy piece with maybe the most depressing synopsis for any broadway show ever and they’re really treating it like “BEN PLATT IS BACK!”

Very weird
"

Well, BEN PLATT IS BACK probably sells more tickets than "come see a somber heavy piece with maybe the most depressing synopsis ever" lol, but I get your drift.

StefanieBway<3
#158PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/12/23 at 1:07pm

I'm simply stating that between the two performances I preferred Platt's and frankly, his breathing technique and the nature of his timbre fit the song very well. Reminiscent to me of Bertie Carvel in the Donmar Warehouse production, preference for him or his vibrato aside. And I agree, there are many talented Broadway performers, but we cannot discount that Platt is amongst them, Nepotism or not.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#159PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/15/23 at 10:08am

I think what I'd say about Ben Platt is in the right part (i.e. Dear Evan Hansen and hopefully Parade, too) he has the right balance between polish and unhinged to make you feel like he is truly inhabiting the character rather than playing the part (see also, Alice Ripley in next to normal). I agree there are probably many other much more talented Broadway performers on paper that could probably act, sing and dance Platt off the stage. And yet, sometimes that isn't enough - you need that special something, that unique X factor that takes you from being a polished cog in a machine to a star. This is exactly my problem with Annaleigh Ashford - she is a polished, talented performer but didn't bring that X factor to Sunday that I thought Bernadette had (hoping Sweeney might change that). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/15/23 at 10:08 AM

BETTY22
#160PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/15/23 at 11:21am

Just watched Bertie Carve performance at the Tony awards.

What an amazing talent! Gone too soon. 

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#161PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/15/23 at 11:25am

BETTY22 said: "Just watchedBertie Carve performance at the Tony awards.

What an amazing talent! Gone too soon.
"

You mean Brent Carver, who was indeed amazing and gone too soon. Bertie Carvel is thankfully still alive, but you did give me a good enough scare that I had to check.

JasonC3
#162PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 9:03am

^. You first said the OP's comment perfectly encapsulates "the sort of unhinged rage" and "foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol" often directed at Platt.

That's far beyond your recent comment referring to it as "all a bit much," something I think many, including myself, could agree with more readily.

PipingHotPiccolo
#163PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 10:40am

JasonC3 said: "^. You first said the OP's comment perfectly encapsulates "the sort of unhinged rage" and "foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol" often directed at Platt.

That's far beyond your recent comment referring to it as "all a bit much," something I think many, including myself, could agree with more readily.
"

You're welcome to agree with all or some of what I've said... there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged. I can't think of any other Bway performers that generate such contempt- and everytime someone offers an explanation they tell on themselves (if they are nepo babies, whats Liza Minelli? whats John David Washington? whats Charlotte D'Amboise?) 

Does that mean everyone has to LIKE them, or pay to see them, of course not, and people are free to have unhinged  views about whatever they want, as much as I'm free to call em out.

And if you think wishing for The Lynching of Evan Hansen doesnt perfectly encapsulate the abnormal hostility I'm referring to here, cool, you do you. I still can't believe it was typed, posted, defended- and now you're clarifying that its "a bit much" but you wouldnt go so far as to call it "unhinged rage." The Lynching of Evan Hansen and its *my* characterization of it that was too much. Gotcha.

Chase Miller
#164PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 10:52am

there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged. 

I think people just don't like nepotism.

PipingHotPiccolo
#165PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 11:06am

Chase Miller said: "there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged.

"

I mean, I literally addressed that directly. Can you explain why they dont seem to mind it when it applies to the dozens of other examples? I'm scratching my head and I just can't seem to remember when anyone suggested they wanted to see some lynching in the Piano Lesson... 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#166PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 11:18am

People need to get over this nepotism thing. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

JSquared2
#167PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 11:37am

Chase Miller said: "there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged.

"

Tell that to all of the Liza queens! 

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#168PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 12:16pm

Has complete casting been announced yet? If not, when? I can't seem to find anything. 

JasonC3
#169PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 1:04pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "JasonC3 said: "^. You first said the OP's comment perfectly encapsulates "the sort of unhinged rage" and "foaming-at-the-mouth vitriol" often directed at Platt.

"

You're welcome to agree with all or some of what I've said... there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged. I can't think of any other Bway performers that generate such contempt- and everytime someone offers an explanation they tell on themselves (if they are nepo babies, whats Liza Minelli? whats John David Washington? whats Charlotte D'Amboise?)

Does that mean everyone has to LIKE them, or pay to see them, of course not, and people are free to have unhinged views about whatever they want, as much as I'm free to call em out.

And if you think wishing for The Lynching of Evan Hansen doesnt perfectly encapsulate the abnormal hostility I'm referring to here, cool, you do you. I still can't believe it was typed, posted, defended- and now you're clarifying that its "a bit much" but you wouldnt go so far as to call it "unhinged rage." The Lynching of Evan Hansen and its *my* characterization of it that was too much. Gotcha.
"

I did not clarify or say it was "a bit much."  You did in your second post responding to the original poster.  You're clearly more invested in this issue than I ever will be.  Good on you.  But for me, I'm out.

Updated On: 1/16/23 at 01:04 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#170PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 3:47pm

Was ‘Big News’ in the Encores! Concert? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#171PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 4:10pm

binau said: "Was ‘Big News’ in the Encores! Concert?"

No, just "Real Big News."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#172PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 5:02pm

Lola Getz2 said: "Has complete casting been announced yet? If not, when? I can't seem to find anything."

No. Just the two leads. Nobody knows when the full cast will be announced, but if they start rehearsal in about 2 weeks then it should be announced quite soon.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#173PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 9:19pm

JSquared2 said: "Chase Miller said: "there is an outrage at Ben Platt and Beanie Feldstein on these boards that is over-the-top and unhinged.

"

Tell that to all of the Liza queens!
"

It's the fact that Ben's dad is a giant producer who makes sure HE's the one cast...it's the most in your face nepotism. That's what people don't like is he oozes entitlement. 

Updated On: 1/16/23 at 09:19 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#174PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 1/16/23 at 9:43pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's the fact that Ben's dad is a giant producer who makes sure HE's the one cast...it's the most in your face nepotism. That's what people don't like is he oozes entitlement."

Marc Platt IS NOT a producer or major investor on Dear Evan Hansen (stage production), Book of Mormon, Parade, Pitch Perfect, The Politician, or any of Ben's other major projects, and he's not some mob-boss figure behind the scenes. (And while we're at it, he wasn't involved with Funny Girl either.)

The ONLY projects that both Ben Platt and Marc Platt have worked on together are Ricki and the Flash, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, and the film adaptation (but not stage production) of Dear Evan Hansen. In those first two films, Ben played tiny roles and they had major auteur directors who no doubt auditioned Ben for those parts. Yes, the DEH film was bad, but we have to move past that (and Ben was still a heck of a lot better in the DEH film than Russell Crowe in Les Mis or Travolta & Blonsky in Hairspray or Lucy in Mame).

That people continue spreading blatantly false information about these men's careers is mind-numbing and infuriating. There are dozens of more egregious examples of nepotism in the theatre and film industries. Platt was cast in Parade on merit and the name-value he developed from playing Evan Hansen on stage (which, again, is a production that his dad had nothing to do with).

Updated On: 1/16/23 at 09:43 PM

Videos