pixeltracker

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 6

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#125Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 1:07am

All So Ozmopolitan said: ""How do you see her walk out? Is it a camera/projection? Or is the stage door just visible?"

MAJOR SPOILER ALERT:

There is no camera/projection (like Ivo van Hove might have done). Instead, a square panel on stage right slowly raises the same way a garage door would to reveal the sidewalk of 45th Street. I'm thinking this might be the Hudson's loading dock? She crosses upstage, walks onto the sidewalk, pauses, looks around, and walks away as the panel slowly lowers back down. A black car is also seen - presumably trying to block off spectators from the audience's view. A recent video circulating on the internet shows Chastain immediately running back through a different door once the panel is closed to return to the stage for bows.

The common problem with this staging seems to be that folks seated in house left can't see the panel at all. So they see Chastain walking upstage and the crowd starts cheering, but one third of the audience is left wondering what on earth is happening... Fortunately, this wasn't my personal experience as I knew ahead of time to sit center / house right, but it's still disheartening to hear.
"

Where does one see this video? 

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#126Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 8:23am

Luminaire2 said: "Where does one see this video?”

https://www.tiktok.com/@imtoooldforthat/video/7204364943687257386

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2
Updated On: 3/1/23 at 08:23 AM

forfivemoreminutes
#127Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 8:38am

chrishuyen said: "So I'm familiar with the story of A Doll's House but I've never actually read it. Would you recommend reading the "standard" translation (if there is one?) before going to see this version? Like how different is it?"

I also went into the play without having read the standard translation, but vaguely knowing the story, and I was fine - I loved it! I looked up the standard translation afterwards, because I wanted to know what they'd changed in this version, and I think the new translation is vastly superior to the previous translations. It doesn't change any of the substantive ideas in the text beyond making it much more accessible (making sentences more clear by using more concise language, etc.). So I don't think you need to read the standard translation to like this piece, and in fact I think the standard translation might have made me a bit more wary going into the piece, expecting the language would be very old time-y or inaccessible, which it wasn't.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#128Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 9:05am

Isn't this ending, even if a coup de theatre,  a more viable and text- and plot-generated version of...

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The LTC My Fair Lady denouement? Has that been mentioned here?

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Hamilfan2
#129Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 9:12am

They celebrated the 10th anniversary of the Jamie Lloyd Company at the performance last night- James McAvoy came out at curtain call to give a little speech, and then handed out posters to everyone on the way out (they were the regular Doll’s House posters with stickers on them noting the anniversary).  They also had a private reception after the show for the company/donors.

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#130Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 9:52am

chrishuyen said: "So I'm familiar with the story of A Doll's House but I've never actually read it. Would you recommend reading the "standard" translation (if there is one?) before going to see this version? Like how different is it?"

I knew absolutely nothing about this play and went in blind and had zero issue following the plot, even with its very experimental staging.

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#131Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/1/23 at 5:14pm

I don't think we can point to one particular show and say that's where Nora's exit is cribbed from. The stage door / loading dock exit has been in vogue for years now. The last production of The Glass Menagerie utilized it very effectively. I didn't see Network but I was under the impression there was a similar exit in that production as well.

I won't comment on this production as I won't be able to see it, but I agree that this concept style is also very "in" right now. A View From the Bridge and Menagerie were on Broadway when I was living in NYC and it was very much coded as "edgy, underground theatre" except there's nothing really edgy or underground about it at all, so it often comes across as pretentious. That said, when something is good, it's good and I loved Menagerie.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#132Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 2:36am

Advice needed

Already have tickets in Orchestra second row House Left - do I need to be concerned about staging?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#133Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 9:58am

I was in K 104 of house left, and saw about half of the exit. It was enough to fully appreciate the impact.

I'll just add, it's a great moment because it's accomplished without bombast that might call undue attention to the effect. It's performed with precision but appropriate speed, bringing the show to a satisfying close. I marveled over its integration with the whole design as much as the gasp-inducing audacity. For such a departure, it's an organic concept that meshes with the look of the show, i.e. partly stylized (turntable), partly Our Town theatrical deconstruction (painted Hudson walls). It's a wow because it doesn't announce itself in a showy way. 

Updated On: 3/2/23 at 09:58 AM

andrewsmash
#134Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 11:16am

I went last night (got a ticket from TDF - sat in the Dress Circle C2 and even then felt it was a little bit too far away). I knew there was no intermission from all the signage and ushers but I didn't realize it would still be roughly 2 hours long. I realize it would be hard to have a point where intermission feels appropriate but dang - that was long. There were people who got up before the show ended.

I'm curious for other people who went, how was the audience? I felt there were beats in the show where the audience wasn't picking up on the correct intended emotion. There were laughs in parts I thought felt weird to laugh. People were laughing pretty loud at the ~very end moment~ and it was so weird to me. Did anyone else experience this?

I thought Jessica was great and so were the other cast members. Glad I paid a TDF price though and not the full price tickets they're going for. I think I would have felt more disappointed.

yyys
#135Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 11:31am

here's my partner's assessment:

"This play is kind of irritating, tbh. Everyone had their head up their ass, and it was just two hours of talking around each other without actually communicating anything until the very end, when at least one of the characters awakens and rectifies the aforementioned head/ass situation. The whole thing could probably have been shaved down to 20 minutes. Jessica Chastain was good but most everyone else pretty much just whispered the whole time. The whole thing was very subsumed. I only stop short of saying that I want those two hours back because I can now finally say that I’ve seen an Ibsen piece."

andrewsmash said: "I went last night (got a ticket from TDF - sat in the Dress Circle C2 and even then felt it was a little bit too far away). I knew there was no intermission from all the signage and ushers but I didn't realize it would still be roughly 2 hours long. I realize it would be hard to have a point where intermission feels appropriate but dang - that was long. There were people who got up before the show ended.

I'm curious for other people who went, how was the audience? I felt there were beats in the show where the audience wasn't picking up on the correct intended emotion. There were laughs in parts I thought felt weird to laugh. People were laughing pretty loud at the ~very end moment~ and it was so weird to me. Did anyone else experience this?

I thought Jessica was great and so were the other cast members. Glad I paid a TDF price though and not the full price tickets they're going for. I think I would have felt more disappointed.
"

SisterGeorge
#136Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 11:01pm

andrewsmash said: "…,I'm curious for other people who went, how was the audience? I felt there were beats in the show where the audience wasn't picking up on the correct intended emotion. There were laughs in parts I thought felt weird to laugh. People were laughing pretty loud at the ~very end moment~ and it was so weird to me. Did anyone else experience this?

Tonight there was a lot of laughter and I blame it mostly on Amy Herzog’s over-explicit, lowish-brow adaptation and Arian Moayed’s underwhelming performance and voice as Torvald. Chastain was glorious and moving and Michael Patrick Thornton was incredibly touching as Dr. Rank. I loved the ending, but the impact was lessened by the audience giggling and clapping! Also lots of coughing and sneezing from people who should have stayed home. In spite of the distractions I was mostly riveted my the production.

Sister George

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#137Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 11:33pm

The night I saw the show you could hear a pin drop. There were giggles but the ones I am used to. The ones born of discomfort when audience members get anxious or tense. 

Moayad’s petulant child interpretation at times did get laughs and he might have gone to far with it but it is previews. The cast may shift delivery based on audience reactions. 

I agree that Thornton is incredibly touching as the Doctor. I hope he is remembered during awards season. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#138Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/3/23 at 12:04am

Herzog's colloquialism-laden lexicon took some getting used to; my ears kept warning me that we were about to veer off in the "inspired by a play by Henrik Ibsen" direction rather than stick to a proper adaptation. Early on, both Herzog and Chastain give Nora some hipsterish self-awareness that initially felt jarring, as she jeered at society's hypocrisy with laser-like analysis. She tossed off f--k. But it paid off as the weight of the plot machinery began to destroy her. Nora's savvy observations proved useless to resolving her plight. Her ebbing confidence seemed to trigger a segue to more literal use of Ibsen's words; by the end, she had nothing to rely on but naked truth-speaking. It struck me as Herzog's design rather than an inconsistency.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#139Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/3/23 at 1:15am

I did generally like this production. But. The lighting. This is the absolute coldest lighting I have ever seen on Broadway. The bluest fluorescents pointed directly in the actor’s faces. It washes out their expressions and frankly makes it hard to see and appreciate the acting. Anyone in the mezz or balcony, bring some glasses with blue light filters and I think it will genuinely improve your experience. 

andrewsmash
#140Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/3/23 at 12:16pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I agree that Thornton is incredibly touching as the Doctor. I hope he is remembered during awards season."

Ah yes. I really loved him. I also loved him in Macbeth as well!

hearthemsing22
#141Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/3/23 at 1:02pm

I don't have any plans to see this, but I will say Jessica's exit at the end out of the theater is VERY cool. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#142Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/3/23 at 2:14pm

Where does the exit scene take place? Is it all the way stage right? Judging by looking at pics center mezz u can’t even see half of the exit anyway. Thank you for the answers 

SisterGeorge
#143Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 7:16pm

Auggie27 said: “….Her ebbing confidence seemed to trigger a segue to more literal use of Ibsen's words; by the end, she had nothing to rely on but naked truth-speaking. It struck me as Herzog's design rather than an inconsistency."

I think that’s exactly right, but for me the “more literal use of Ibsen’s words” made Nora sound like a daytime talkshow guest explaining how she came to write her best-selling self empowerment book.

Sister George

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#144Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 8:18pm

WldKingdomHM said: "Where does the exit scene take place? Is it all the way stage right? Judging by looking at pics center mezz u can’t even see half of the exit anyway. Thank you for the answers"

Yes, it is stage right.

My dress circle row C, seat 6 seat was great.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#145Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 9:12pm

I just feel like this trend of minimal and subdued is...not theatrical at all? 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#146Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 9:54pm

RippedMan said: "I just feel like this trend of minimal and subdued is...not theatrical at all?"

What is theatrical? Who decides? Is theatre not an ever changing, dynamic art form with variation, and nuance? 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#147Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/5/23 at 8:40am

This production is in every way theatrical.  

Lloyd's central idea -- I won't spoil the more provocative elements -- is positioning Nora as a stationary fixed point, the sole means of audience access; even serving as the de facto unreliable narrator, if only via staging rather than textual confession. If it shorthands Ibsen's world-building, which has always demanded audience omniscience -- what Marsha Norman describes as witnesses acting as judge and jury -- Lloyd makes Nora's niche prism ours. From the preshow to that ending. If it restricts some of the expanding peripheral drama, it tethers us to a protagonist's point of view in unexpected ways. We lean forward to watch the plot quite literally swirl around her. 

Though stripped down designs and absence of era and geographic verisimilitude are getting more attention, I see it as radical in the best sense: pushing the text forward without turning the sociopolitical content into agitprop. It's still just thrilling storytelling, and as the world closes in and Nora confronts her own self-destruction as a viable solution, the rewards are palpable. Chastain, emotionally opaque, rises to the occasion memorably.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#148Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/5/23 at 12:49pm

I meant it more in the subdued, stripped down sense, not in the staging. If the back rows can't see the nuance who is it for? 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#149Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/7/23 at 11:45pm

The fact that so much of the audience misses that final moment is absolutely absurd and infuriating.

I tend to enjoy Jamie Lloyd generally, but what the hell? How are you going to stage a moment like that out of the line of sight for 1/3 of the audience?! Wild. 

Updated On: 3/7/23 at 11:45 PM