pixeltracker

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 9

Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#200Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 4:50pm

For those looking for tickets, I used TodayTix about one hour before showtime (matinee in Wednesday) and got a wonderful dress circle center seat for 99 (including all fees)!  

Jessica is giving a performance to remember, worlds better than her work in the Heiress. While I was not enthralled by the production completely, I really didn’t  mind seeing a hyper-stylized production over a more traditional presentation. Most choices I found to be quite thoughtful…but others a bit laborious. 

alexidarling15
#201Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/29/23 at 6:51pm

I did TDF for the matinee and ended up in Dress Row c way over to the right, great seat for the price!! I was prepared to ask for my seat to be changed if it ended up on the left but I had a perfect view of everything and the grand finale was totally worth the fuss! Fabulous play, Jessica was fantastic but oh man, I really loved Oak’s performance! Just menacing enough and ultimately nuanced.

Hairspray0901
#202Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/11/23 at 12:02pm

Has anyone been successful in getting rush tickets for this? I’ve tried several times and have not been able to get them. 

if you have - where were your seats? 

JeffDaEgg2
#203Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/11/23 at 2:36pm

I got rush tickets on Sunday and was seated Balcony row C, seats 13 and 15.  The good news is the balcony there is much closer to the stage than many theatres' mezzanines....the bad news is we could not see the final moments at all.  Had to guess what people were laughing at, then had to rely on the TikTok from this thread to see it.  What a mess.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#204Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/11/23 at 11:17pm

Have there been additional merchandise for sale other than the mug and T-shirt?  Have they already made magnets? 

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#205Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/11/23 at 11:26pm

Tonight just t-shirt "I am a human", mugs & the posters.  No magnets.

Chastain appeared under the weather.  She coughed quite a few times during the show. For bows came on with a lozenge and continued to cough behind the red bucket speech.  She still gave a lovely performance.

Updated On: 4/12/23 at 11:26 PM

Chuck Lawrence
#206Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 12:03am

I also could not see the final moment. What happened?

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#207Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 3:18pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Tonight just t-shirt "I am a human", musg & the posters. No magnets.

Chastain appeared under the weather. She coughed quite a few times during the show. For bows came on with a lozenge and continued to cough behind the red bucket speech. She still have a lovely performance.
"

Hope Ms. Chastain feels better...fingers crossed she is not out sick when I have tickets

JasonC3
#208Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 3:32pm

Chuck Lawrence said: "I also could not see the final moment. What happened?"

A link to what happens was provided in an earlier post.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

A garage door on the back wall of the theater opens and she slowly exits through it to 45th Street.  This is what it looks like from the outside.

https://www.tiktok.com/@imtoooldforthat/video/7204364943687257386

Hairspray0901
#209Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 3:38pm

VernonGersch said: "CoffeeBreak said: "Tonight just t-shirt "I am a human", musg & the posters. No magnets.

Chastain appeared under the weather. She coughed quite a few times during the show. For bows came on with a lozenge and continued to cough behind the red bucket speech. She still have a lovely performance.
"

Hope Ms. Chastain feels better...fingers crossed she is not out sick when I have tickets
"

She posted a few days ago (either Weds or Sat, I forget) that she was feeling under the weather and would not be stagedooring either performance that day but asked if anyone wanted to meet her to come back after another show, or to leave their playbill and she would be happy to sign it. 

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#210Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/12/23 at 11:30pm

CoffeeBreak said: "Tonight just t-shirt "I am a human", mugs & the posters. No magnets.

Chastain appeared under the weather. She coughed quite a few times during the show. For bows came on with a lozenge and continued to cough behind the red bucket speech. She still gave a lovely performance.
"

Thank you so much!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#211Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/13/23 at 12:13am

JasonC3 said: "Chuck Lawrence said: "I also could not see the final moment. What happened?"

A link to what happens was provided in an earlier post.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
A garage door on the back wall of the theater opens and she slowly exits through it to 45th Street. This is what it looks like from the outside.

https://www.tiktok.com/@imtoooldforthat/video/7204364943687257386

"

They block the whole street for her?  Ok

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#212Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/13/23 at 6:32am

Jessica Chastain is giving a tour de force performance - truly astonishing, visceral and three dimensional.  

The show however truly disappoints.  Having been enthralled by Jamie Lloyd's CYRANO in every sense of the word, I couldn't wait to experience his brilliance in a theater.  THE SEAGULL was the second show I saw of Jamie's and found it incredible listless and lifeless with the exception of some the cast including the incandescent Indira Varma and Daniel Monk  But the soft spoken, sparse simplistic box set and choosing to have your actors seated whispering made for a bit of a confusing snooze fest. 

In this production, I felt like I was getting THE SEAGULL Part Two (not to be confused with A Doll's House Part Two). The empty stage, the whispering, the rotating stage, actors mostly seated,  the dimly lit stage, all  did not illuminate any of Amy Herzog's adaptation.   I appreciated the cast who are all doing outstanding work -- but the novelty of the production has lived there its date of expry.  Same bag of tricks, same heavily miked whispering and in what is a full on epic fail of ATG, The Hudson Theater and The Jamie Lloyd Company -- the staging and selling of tickets.   I bought seats right when they went on sale (huge mistake - as pricing lowered considerably) but it's major flaw - selling premium seating (without knowing row C would be the 1st row).  Could barely see - and even though I knew of the ending - the last moment from Row D center of Orchestra. 

DO NOT BUY TICKETS TO THIS IN ROW C - F I would warn. And avoid immediate house left.  Also, it is a long almost 2 hours. Yes, Broadway is a business but ATG and JLC should be ashamed of themselves for selling heavily overpriced premium tickets with partial views.

Will be taking a break from Jamie Lloyd for the immediate future until he branches out of what now feels quite cookie cutter.  

JSquared2
#213Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/13/23 at 11:32am

blaxx said: They block the whole street for her? Ok"

No.  They do not "block the street" at all, so calm your t*ts"!   

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#214Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/13/23 at 11:47am

They only block the sidewalk.  Like they do for just about EVERY show.

From the inside it doesn't look like a garage door.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#215Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:12pm

Any current discount codes out there?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#216Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 8:22pm

I used DHBBOX at the box office the other day. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#217Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 9:25pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I used DHBBOX at the box office the other day."

Thanks!

Hairspray0901
#218Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:39pm

blaxx said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I used DHBBOX at the box office the other day."

Thanks!
"

If you get this code to work please let me know. I have had no luck on the website using it. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#219Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 10:45pm

That code only works for Tuesday through Thursday performances. Weekend discounts (including Friday evening) are only available on TodayTix.

Updated On: 4/24/23 at 10:45 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#220Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 11:42pm

Ah, I used it on a Thursday so wasn’t aware. 

Hairspray0901
#221Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/25/23 at 7:28am

TaffyDavenport said: "That code only works for Tuesday through Thursday performances. Weekend discounts (including Friday evening) are only available on TodayTix."

Yesterday I was trying every date and nothing was working. 
 Edited to add; the code now works!

Updated On: 4/25/23 at 07:28 AM

chrishuyen
#222Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/2/23 at 10:39pm

Just saw this tonight and thought it was absolutely fantastic.  I really enjoyed how modern the dialogue felt, juxtaposed against how dated the situation that the characters were in was.  Jessica Chastain was the perfect mix of tougher than she seems (even in her earlier conversation with Kristine) and naive/vulnerable. The other actors were all stellar as well, though I actually found Arian Moayed to be doing the least interesting of the bunch, but maybe that's the way his character is written (and I do think he did a good job regardless).

I was really not a fan of Betrayal and the starkness of the most recent revival, but I really enjoyed this and how much it almost felt like a thriller.  I can really see how this earned the sound design nomination, which I thought only added to the effect.  The turntable was also quite effective for me, and I enjoyed how the shadows were arranged on the back wall.

TDF seats were orchestra right row M, which were fantastic seats!

Jarethan
#223Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/10/23 at 5:10pm

Just got back from the matinee performance, which I thought was a ***** production.  Make that 4.8, as I did not love the lighting.  I wanted it to be a bit brighter.   I have seen traditional productions of the play and actually loved the minimalist staging.  You were never distracted from the words and performances.

I expected Chastain to be excellent, but I was not prepared for how committed (and willing to take risks) she was.  I have only seen ADH twice before, with Liv Ullmann and Janet McTeer; she stood up to my memories of their performances…a greater compliment I can’t give.  The entire cast was stellar.

I thought I would like this but I did not expect to love it as much as I did.

My only issue with the performance:  I was in the third row center of the mezzanine and I cannot remember the last time I was so uncomfortable.  It felt like the seat actually pitched forward in addition to being too close to the row in front.  Luckily, there was a no-show for one seat next to me; even with that, my wife thought I hated the show because I was moving around so much )and I was actively trying not to do so).  Tonight Camelot.  Had I not purchased tickets in advance, I would be seeing something else.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#224Chastain stars in A DOLL'S HOUSE On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:05pm

I am so glad I did not rush to get tickets when they first went on sale.  I was able to catch this through TDF and unfortunately think it is an utter miss based on the pretentious staging.  I lucked out and scored seats in row J of the orchestra which still felt too far away to feel any emotion. Guess that was stripped too.  I hope to see JC again in the future on Broadway but I will definitely steer clear of the artistry of Jamie Lloyd. Just not for me.