pixeltracker

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year- Page 3

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#50New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 1:21pm

jkcohen626 said: "Surprising to hear there are only four new songs. I'm excited for this show independent of how they're constructing it. But, I would have thought they'd have gone for 51% new (at least) for Best Score consideration."

Alicia Keys' name & songbook is probably more meaningful than any Best Score nomination (an award category that does not move the needle in any substantial way).

verywellthensigh
#51New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 1:52pm

Four new songs?  WelI...why try harder?

I can't wait to pay three figures to sit next to a gaggle of basics screeching along with "This Girl is on Fire" and all the rest.

hearthemsing22
#52New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 1:57pm

I saw the show was extended, went to the public website-all sold out. wow people work fast 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#53New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 2:15pm

hearthemsing22 said: "I saw the show was extended, went to the public website-all sold out. wow people work fast"

The extension is not on sale yet...

Ticket Access for the extension weeks Dec 23-Jan 7 begins at 12PM ET on each listed date:

• Partner, Supporter Plus, & Supporters: Oct 10
  • General Access: Oct 12

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JSquared2
#54New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 2:23pm

verywellthensigh said: "Four new songs? WelI...why try harder?

I can't wait to pay three figures to sit next to a gaggle of basics screeching along with "This Girl is on Fire" and all the rest.
"

Well...you could always choose NOT to go?

Also what's a "basic"?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#55New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/6/23 at 4:30pm

I am assuming this is what Verywell is referring to...

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/basic/

Just give the world Love.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#56New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/8/23 at 3:15pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Alicia Keys' name & songbook is probably more meaningful than any Best Score nomination (an award category that does not move the needle in any substantial way)."

But wouldn't you think SHE would want the Tony for score? I'm surprised by there only being 4 new songs.

JSquared2
#57New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/8/23 at 5:34pm

pethian said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Alicia Keys' name & songbook is probably more meaningful than any Best Score nomination (an award category that does not move the needle in any substantial way)."

But wouldn't you think SHE would want the Tony for score? I'm surprised by there only being 4 new songs.

Tony Awards for Best Score don't sell tickets.  Ms. Keys has plenty of awards -- I'm sure she'll be much happier with the royalties she'll earn as an Author.  Plus if she is also a producer, she'll be Tony eligible for that.

gibsons2
#58New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/16/23 at 7:48pm

Like I'm sure many of you these past 9 days, I've been doomscrolling social media and came across the now deleted Instagram post of Alicia Keys, where she was asking her followers what would they do if they were brave enough (or something to that point). Alicia's answer to her own question was something like: I would have tried paragliding... which was clearly a reference to Hamas terrorist attack on Israel.

This is to let  those of you who care, know where Alicia's heart is in regard to Israeli/Hamas war that is happening right now.

I despise cancel culture and militant people who push it, however I can't support an artist who publicly announced her support for the terrorist organization. I've already sold my tickets to this show. 

JasonC3
#59New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/16/23 at 8:10pm

I don't know her politics, so the paragliding reference (an activity on a lot of people's bucket lists) sent me searching for more info about the post gibsons2 referenced.

For those who might be interested, this Twitter thread contains lots of different perspectives on it.

gibsons2
#60New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/16/23 at 8:36pm

JasonC3 said: "I don't know her politics, so the paragliding reference (an activity on a lot of people's bucket lists) sent me searching for more info about the post gibsons2 referenced.

For those who might be interested, this Twitter thread contains lots of different perspectives on it.
"

Thanks for this link, I haven't seen it since I saw her post on Insta. I see how some people might think equating paragliding to Hamas homage can be reaching. However, deleting the post without explanation speaks louder than any words. Either own every single of your words, or think twice before making a post to the audience of millions. 

Incredible how fast and easy millions of people in this country have exposed themselves as closeted antisemites. Took just short few days. 

Ke3
#61New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/16/23 at 11:59pm

Paragliding...Hamas. Try as I might to put on my insanity hat and stand under the tinfoil with the freaks, I can't seem to make a connection between those two things.

PipingHotPiccolo
#62New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 12:39am

Look, I know alot of people have been doubly traumatized by so many people's celebration of Hamas over the past 10 days, and it truly has been painful to see posters celebrating the massacre of civilians, including babies and the elderly.

to suggest that Alicia Keys is doing that because she mentioned she wants to try paragliding is completely unhinged. i get the connection, i get the amateur sherlock impulse to hunt out horrible behavior these days, but this ain't it guys. a 30 second google search dictates that in the face of tremendous pressure by the usual suspects, Alicia Keys performed in Israel a few years ago, The idea that she has since done a 180 to the point of Hamas support is truly delusional and offensive.

its also the height of lunacy to assume every single person on earth is following the particulars of Hamas' depravity. as Ke3 notes below, its hardly an obvious connection but let me explain: in the recent Hamas attack, they stormed into small villages and massacred/kidnapped everyone, and they also PARAGLIDED into an overnight music festival for young kids, and murdered 260+ people there. There HAVE sadly been lots of pro-Hamas people celebrating the paragliders as heroes (including a Black Lives Matter chapter in Chicago) by adopting the image of a paraglider as one of pride. Its sickening and depressing and has NOTHING TO DO WITH ALICIA KEYS.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#63New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 1:44am

It is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY more likely that Alicia Keys is not concerning herself with wars thousands of miles away and made an ill-timed comment than her being a covert Hamas supporter. She's ****ing Alicia Keys. If she wanted to make a Pro-Palestine post, she could do that and would be completely fine. Probably some blowback that would be forgotten in a few weeks and a few people dumping Hell's Kitchen tix (which I'm sure would be quickly picked up by others). That's it. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#64New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 3:18am

"Incredible how fast and easy millions of people in this country have exposed themselves as closeted antisemites. Took just short few days. "

My take on this issue is that some of these people are just idiots who THINK they are morally virtuous by apparently standing up for the so called 'oppressed' (Palestine) from the so called 'oppressor' (Israel) - without realising how morally twisted it is to show any kind of sympathy for the terrorist war crimes committed by Hamas. They also fail to understand that, regardless of what you think of the West Bank settlement issue, there is a clear difference in the values and goals of Israel and Hamas - in that Hamas is very open that their mission is to destroy Israel and kill jews, and these attitudes pre-date the state of Israel (i.e. it is in part based on deep seated antisemitism, it's not just a reaction to perceived oppression - though of course that hasn't helped). Whereas Israel are not looking to create violence or target civilians, they want peace but if they don't defend themselves strongly they risk (and are) attacked because of the reasons described above, this terrorist organisation genuinely wants to destroy Israel and kill the Jews. This is also why Israel need to have a firm hand on the region (e.g. Gaza blockade) - but some of these same people don't realise the practical need and instead claim that this is oppression. 

It's frustrating - but I don't think we should be trying to cancel anyone for this matter or the dialogue just ends. Especially because it's actually a complex matter and I think a lot of people are ignorant, not with bad intentions. Instead we should just be calling them out for their ignorance, hypocrisy and confused morality. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 10/17/23 at 03:18 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#65New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 8:45am

Her longtime (Jewish) manager posted about it:

"There’s talk of an antisemitic post that my dear friend Alicia Keys had up on her instagram.
I can confirm to anyone in my ✡️ community that needs to hear it: it’s NOT true.
There was a specific word in her post that our community at this very painful time find very triggering, but it was absolutely not connected in any way.
I spoke to Alicia and she was horrified to learn what the word implied and immediately took it down.
Alicia has always been a fighter for all human rights. I’ve had a front row seat for over a decade of seeing her positive influence in the world. Her humanitarian work reflects her empathy and her heart."

Guy Oseary Instagram

PipingHotPiccolo
#66New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 8:58am

she's owed an apology she will likely never get.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#67New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 11:10am

I can't support an artist who publicly announced her support for the terrorist organization. I've already sold my tickets to this show. 

Except none of that's true, you did no research about her, and you impulsively sold your tickets to the sold out Off Broadway event of the season. Congratulations. 

JSquared2
#68New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 11:17am

"I can't support an artist who publicly announced her support for the terrorist organization. I've already sold my tickets to this show.

Umm, you DO know that your (foolish) decision to sell your seats to someone else doesn't affect Ms. Keys (or the show) in any way whatsoever, right?  They still get the money you paid!

gibsons2
#69New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 12:25pm

JSquared2 said: ""I can't support an artist who publicly announced her support for the terrorist organization. I've already sold my tickets to this show.

Umm, you DO know that your (foolish) decision to sell your seats to someone else doesn't affect Ms. Keys (or the show) in any way whatsoever, right? They still get the money you paid!

"

Is this a real question? Yes, I'm aware that I've already paid the money which Public Theater received. And I already returned whatever I've paid. Even after giving AK a benefit of a doubt, I won't be able to enjoy this production that I was extremely excited about for months. But I hope you do.

JSquared2
#70New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 2:33pm

gibsons2 said: "JSquared2 said: ""I can't support an artist who publicly announced her support for the terrorist organization. I've already sold my tickets to this show.

Umm, you DO know that your (foolish) decision to sell your seats to someone else doesn't affect Ms. Keys (or the show) in any way whatsoever, right? They still get the money you paid!

"

Is this a real question? Yes, I'm aware that I've already paid the money which Public Theater received. And I already returned whatever I've paid. Even after giving AK a benefit of a doubt, I won't be able to enjoy this production that I was extremely excited about for months. But I hope you do.
"

How exactly did you "return whatever you paid"?  Did you re-sell the tickets and then donate that money to the ADL or some other worthwhile cause?  It's easy to be a keyboard social justice warrior.

PipingHotPiccolo
#71New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 8:38pm

so youre not only failing to apologize for smearing Alicia Keys, youre continuing to insist shes done something wrong? Shameless.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
verywellthensigh
#73New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/17/23 at 9:46pm

Welp!  It's more tix available for people who haven't let world events make them lose all perspective.   

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#74New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/24/23 at 12:44am

Anyone here attending the world premiere first preview?