pixeltracker

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year- Page 4

New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year

inception Profile Photo
inception
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#76New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:12am

Managed to snag a ticket for this for Friday night! Looks like they are releasing seats here and there for those who are interested and didn't buy in advance, but they go FAST. So excited to see this. Between HELL'S KITCHEN on Friday night and HERE WE ARE on Saturday afternoon, I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a great weekend of new theatre!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

amiyagi
#77New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:47am

bwayphreak234 said: "Managed to snag a ticket for this for Friday night! Looks like they are releasing seats here and there for those who are interested and didn't buy in advance, but they go FAST. So excited to see this. Between HELL'S KITCHEN on Friday night and HERE WE ARE on Saturday afternoon, I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a great weekend of new theatre!"

What time were you checking and got a ticket? Hoping to snag tickets for this for a last minute trip in January

bwayphreak234
#78New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/24/23 at 11:52am

amiyagi said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Managed to snag a ticket for this for Friday night! Looks like they are releasing seats here and there for those who are interested and didn't buy in advance, but they go FAST. So excited to see this. Between HELL'S KITCHEN on Friday night and HERE WE ARE on Saturday afternoon, I'm looking forward to what will hopefully be a great weekend of new theatre!"

What time were you checking and got a ticket? Hoping to snag tickets for this for a last minute trip in January
"

I had been periodically checking yesterday and then again this morning!

terrilovesNY
#79New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 7:58pm

Any reports from the first previews? I was lucky to snag a ticket for next week and am very excited to see this! 

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#80New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 8:16pm

I had very high expectations for this and am still hoping it’s good, but the silence on social media is an interesting indicator of enthusiasm. Even The Public’s social media reposts people’s excitement before the show, but not much of anything after. Hope I’m wrong.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#81New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 8:32pm

terrilovesNY said: "Any reports from the first previews? I was lucky to snag a ticket for next week and am very excited to see this!"

I was hoping to hear something by now, but there's been nothing out there on any socials.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#82New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 8:48pm

ACL2006 said: "terrilovesNY said: "Any reports from the first previews? I was lucky to snag a ticket for next week and am very excited to see this!"

I was hoping to hear something by now, but there's been nothing out there on any socials.
"

Here's one from TikTok! 

https://www.tiktok.com/@joe_weinberg/video/7293732341242023210?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7231275020306433579

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#83New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 9:33pm

jkcohen626 said: "ACL2006 said: "terrilovesNY said: "Any reports from the first previews? I was lucky to snag a ticket for next week and am very excited to see this!"

"

Here's one from TikTok!

https://www.tiktok.com/@joe_weinberg/video/7293732341242023210?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc&web_id=7231275020306433579
"

That guy needs to learn how to edit his videos better. I have a headache from listening to that review.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

yyys
#84New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 9:43pm

Does it matter though? The entire run is sold out. What more "enthusiasm" do you need?  :P

DramaTeach said: "I had very high expectations for this and am still hoping it’s good, but the silence on social media is an interesting indicator of enthusiasm. Even The Public’s social media reposts people’s excitement before the show, but not much of anything after. Hope I’m wrong."

sppunk
#85New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/26/23 at 9:54pm

Going Saturday night and will be sure to report my thoughts that night or Sunday morning. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#86New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 12:03am

24 ratings on Show-Score, 100% positive, with an average score of 92 out of 100. There are usually some shill reviews for every production, but even the well-established users like it, and I take JoeW4's positive reaction to the first preview as a great sign, since his critiques are always measured and thoughtful:

https://www.show-score.com/off-broadway-shows/hell-s-kitchen

Updated On: 10/27/23 at 12:03 AM

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#87New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 12:10am

ACL2006 said: "That guy needs to learn how to edit his videos better. I have a headache from listening to that review."

Good to know lol

Happy to consider incorporating any concrete editing suggestions, if you have them! Definitely don't want to give anyone a headache. But If my vibe just isn't for you, that's all good too haha

inception Profile Photo
inception
#88New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 12:46am

JoeW4 said: 
Good to know lol

Happy to consider incorporating any concrete editing suggestions, if you have them! Definitely don't want to give anyone a headache. But If my vibe just isn't for you, that's all good too haha

Instead if doing that thing young people on there & YouTube do where they just rant at their phone and then go back & try to edit it with jump cuts, you could figure out what you want to say first. Draft a script & practise speaking it so it sounds natural before you record.  Then your recording will come across much more professional.   You really don't want to be mistaken as another Perspiring Prophet.

I appreciated hearing your comments on the show.  
"

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#89New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 1:53am

nobody cares about this because its a story we've seen a thousand times, and songs we've heard already to death.  it's this seasons new york new york, except with frank sinatra, its the alicia keys verson.  dread.

TaffyDavenport
#90New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 1:54am

JoeW4 said: "ACL2006 said: "That guy needs to learn how to edit his videos better. I have a headache from listening to that review."

Good to know lol

"

Don’t pay any attention to them. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with your videos, and anyone who thinks there is just shouldn’t watch them. In all of your reviews, and in your posts on here, you’ve consistently shown yourself to be intelligent and extremely well-informed, which is more than I can say for many on this board. 

Updated On: 10/27/23 at 01:54 AM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#91New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 12:00pm

It has only had three performances in a small theater and most of those patrons aren't on BWW. There are plenty of reviews online, just not here. Anyways, I'm seeing this tonight and am really looking forward to it!

Jarethan
#92New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 3:35pm

Broadway Flash said: "nobody cares about this because its a story we've seen a thousand times, and songs we've heard already to death. it's this seasons new york new york, except with frank sinatra, its the alicia keys verson. dread."

I thought this was an original score.  Where did I go wrong???  I have to admit that I am not familiar with Alicia Keys’ songs, so it would be a new score to me, with the big question being how much the songs are forced in or will they actually complement the book somewhat seemlessly.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#93New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 4:18pm

JoeW4 said: "ACL2006 said: "That guy needs to learn how to edit his videos better. I have a headache from listening to that review."

Good to know lol

"

I hope I didn't offend you. Your video seemed sped up with sections overlapping, which made it hard to listen to. Maybe don't talk so fast and annunciate better.

bwayphreak234
#94New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/27/23 at 10:34pm

I caught this tonight and found it to be very rough. The cast is excellent and the music and vocals are truly wonderful. Newcomer Maleah Joi Moon is a true star. That VOICE. However, that’s where my praise has to end…

The story is a very slice of life coming of age story. It’s never particularly interesting, and very trite. The book is chock full of countless cringe-worthy moments - some things are outright eye-roll inducing. Some of the songs work fine in the context of the plot, and others are shoehorned in and feel wildly out of place.

The choreography is chaotic and at times it is just way too much. The set is fine - lots of projections on metal surfaces. The turntable is barely used at all.

I definitely think they will tighten this up during its run, and I realize this is the first week of performances of a new world premiere. What I saw tonight, though, was pretty darn messy and nowhere near ready for Broadway.

hartless
#95New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/28/23 at 9:34am

Selling one of my tickets for tonight’s show at face value. PM for more info. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#96New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/28/23 at 11:57am

First of all, Maleah Joi Moon is a star. The world just needs to catch up. Her performance is thrilling, heartbreaking, and incredibly moving. That voice is not even of this world. Brandon Victor Dixon and Shoshana Bean were the other standouts for me. Because of course they are. 

The choreography is incredible and seamlessly integrates into the storylines. The music was strong and plenty loud, occasionally the band played over the singer(s) like they did throughout A Strange Loop. Not a bio-musical but as others have said, a modern coming of age story that is pretty straight forward and heartfelt. The 90s hip hop elements made it fun for someone who grew up in that era.

The cast is so cool and beautiful they make the cheesy moments bearable and even though the book is not fully fleshed out, I believe with some minor adjustments this could be a massive hit on Broadway. It seems to be the show of the New York season and the room was buzzing with excitement. In essence, I had a great time and I hope everyone else does too! 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#97New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/28/23 at 7:21pm

I am getting banner ads on this site for this. Kind of strange since it is sold out. 

sppunk
#98New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/28/23 at 10:40pm

This is indeed cheesy as hell but the choreography and vocal performances are pretty damn good. The book is pretty blah. It has 3-4 songs I wipe cut too which is a bad sign. 

I don’t see this coming to Broadway but I don’t regret seeing it. 

Fun story. Two people tonight thought they were at a concert. Standing up, lighter in the air, waving arms. 

TaffyDavenport
#99New Musical HELL'S KITCHEN, Based on the Life of Alicia Keys, to Premiere This Year
Posted: 10/29/23 at 2:17am

I don’t know why, but the fact that Shoshana Bean’s character is named “Jersey” always seemed corny to me. The positive reactions are making me less hesitant about seeing it, but I’m not surprised at all that people are saying it’s cheesy. Looking forward to it more now than I was before, though.

Updated On: 10/29/23 at 02:17 AM