News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024; Broadway in the fall- Page 18

Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024; Broadway in the fall

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#426Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/20/24 at 6:26pm

Those two songs on the show's YouTube channel aren't great. Chris Jones praised the opening. Hopefully it's better in context......

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#428Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/21/24 at 9:00am

Chicago Reader: The book perhaps suffers from the same thing that was present in the screenplay: the central question of just why these women ever became friends and stayed friends. But a few key changes do help flesh out their relationship....

But the musical’s creators wisely understand that nobody’s asking for a wholesale upending of the glossy histrionics underpinning the original film. To that end, this show (which could use a few nips and tucks of its own to trim the running time down a skosh) is eminently enjoyable and just sly enough about its politics to offer something for fans of the original and newbies alike.

Doing it for the gaze - Chicago Reader

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#429Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/21/24 at 10:10am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Those two songs on the show's YouTube channel aren't great. Chris Jones praised the opening. Hopefully it's better in context......"

That is the context, ha. It’s the opening. But I think being so excited for a brand new show maybe cause some oversight. Thought it was an awful song - as I thought Williams was not good in any of her parts - but speaking to others they loved her, so to each their own! 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#430Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/21/24 at 10:14am

Several critics have praised Hilty's first song "For the Gaze (Gays)." I'll have to listen to it again when it's available. I remember the costumes (and eye candy) but not the melody.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#431Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/25/24 at 7:45am

I saw this last night, Friday, and 90% loved it. It has a few pacing issues, particularly in the second act, but overall this has what it needs to be a huge hit and had the audience in the palm of its hand from the start.

Hilty and Simard are borderline perfection. "All For The Gaze/Gays" is the showstopper everyone made it out to be. I found Williams to be captivating. I know I might be in the minority here, but I loved the opening number. "Siempre Viva" was another favorite of mine, though largely due to the ensemble, working their (very fine) asses off. Very good to see Neil Haskell in a dancing role again, after being a SYTYCD favorite from nearly 20 years ago. Sieber is great, although one of my biggest issues was his second act number, which IMO brings the show to a dead stop. I would love that to be changed before Broadway. Another shout-out to ensemble standouts Warren Yang, Taurean Everett and Kaleigh Cronin. 

I've never seen a Pre-Broadway tryout before (minus Six which was so established at that point already) so I am very much looking forward to seeing this again in NYC this winter!

P.S.- the wedding sponsor tonight was Grindr, followed by Hilty making the notification sound. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#432Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/25/24 at 9:05am

Gabriella Enriquez finally debuted in the show last night in her ensemble track. She was a last minute replacement for Ericka Hunter Yang. Amy Quanbeck had been covering the role while Gabriella learned the show. Go swings and dance captains! Amy now gets to “rest” backstage.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#433Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/25/24 at 1:17pm

florida theatre kid said: "I saw this last night, Friday, and 90% loved it. It has a few pacing issues, particularly in the second act, but overall this has what it needs to be a huge hit and had the audience in the palm of its hand from the start.

Hilty and Simard are borderline perfection. "All For The Gaze/Gays" is the showstopper everyone made it out to be. I found Williams to be captivating. I know I might be in the minority here, but I loved the opening number. "Siempre Viva" was another favorite of mine, though largely due to the ensemble, working their (very fine) asses off. Very good to see Neil Haskell in a dancing role again, after being a SYTYCD favoritefrom nearly 20 years ago. Sieber is great, although one of my biggest issues was his second act number, which IMO brings the show to a dead stop. I would love that to be changed before Broadway. Anothershout-out to ensemble standouts Warren Yang, Taurean Everett and Kaleigh Cronin.

I've never seen a Pre-Broadway tryout before (minus Six which was so established at that point already) so I am very much looking forward to seeing this again in NYC this winter!

P.S.- the wedding sponsor tonight was Grindr, followed by Hilty making the notification sound.
"

Love that! And it’s IML (international male leather) weekend so probably a lot of gay people in the audience 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#434Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 5:46pm

Saw this last night and enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away.

I've never seen (or even heard of before buying tickets) the movie, so I don't know the references and everything, but as people have said, this show is a lot of fun. The book has some great one-liners, which is refreshing after the disastrous cringey stuff that adaptions like Tootsie and Beetlejuice are passing off as jokes (IMO). 

The music, unfortunately, didn't do it for me. Thinking back, the only tune I can recall for some reason is Ernest's number, which I know people on here hated but honestly I loved it. Catchy, stupid little moment for Sieber to have a little fun, and lengthens the second act a bit. Other than that song, I couldn't really understand the lyrics for most things, although that might be a sound issue and not a music one. 

The crowd absolutely loved it, heard the couple in front of me praising how camp it is at intermission. Agree with most things that have been said on here, the first act needs to be shortened and the second one lengthened. Emotionally it did nothing for me, but I don't think the point of the story is to get me to actually care about the characters anyway, so no biggie. Show's a lot of fun.

For what it's worth, I live in Chicago and have been entering the lotery everyday for the run and never won. I bit the bullet and rushed, but there were many many many empty seats in the back and sides of the orchestra (not sure about the mezz) so I wonder why they aren't giving out more lotto seats? 

Sponsor for my performance was MENTOS!

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#435Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 7:47pm

I saw this on Sunday and had an absolute blast. I think the book is hilarious and the score/lyrics are a lot better than most give it credit for, the lyrics especially are extremely witty and clever. The whole show nails the tone of the film while expanding on it, something a good adaptation does. I loved all the performances, but this is Megan’s show. We’ve been without her onstage for far too long, it’s easy to forget just how funny she is. Jennifer is matching her beat for beat along the way, and I actually really loved Michelle Williams. I thought she played it reserved and regal which was a safe choice, but she sold it and it worked (and her voice was bonkers). Sieber is the “straight man” but serves that role well and feels like tonally he and the cast are all in the same show. 

The sets and costumes looked beautiful and EXPENSIVE, I loved seeing what is surely an expensive show but the cash into the production so visibly.

Also the wedding line on Sunday was “Brought to you by Chili’s! I want my baby back baby back baby back ribs!”

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#436Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:12pm

Wednesday night, the role of Helen Sharp is being played by Natalie Charle Ellis.

florida theatre kid
#437Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/29/24 at 8:32pm

According to swing Beau Harmon's Instagram story, it looks like Natalie Charle Ellis is making her Helen Sharp debut tonight!

Edit: just saw above!

Updated On: 5/29/24 at 08:32 PM

Menken Fan Profile Photo
Menken Fan
#438Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 12:29am

Natalie was fantastic in her debut as Helen tonight! She is 95% Jen Simard, and she killed it.  I've never been disappointed by amazing understudies. She was flawless and kept mouthing "What the F***" during the curtain call. Brava to Natalie.

BalconyClub
#439Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 1:01am

Natalie Charle Ellis was handed a lovely flower bouquet during bows after her GREAT performance as Helen Sharp Wednesday night.

Wonderful work.

Ahead of the show, the ushers scrambled to have separate 4" x 5" sheets readied to hand out to guests. There was little time for insert work. Upstairs in the near-capacity balcony, the cast slips were handed out separately. The one slip listed the full Cast/Ensemble for the performance. Helen Sharp would be played by Natalie Charle Ellis.

The main lobby cast board showed the Ensemble track usually played by Ellis would be played by Swing Amy Quanbeck. The Helen Sharp understudy was also listed on the cast board.

The performance began 5 minutes later than usual.

It's fascinating to see a different performer - and the production - make different choices with the same material. In Helen Sharp's early solo THAT WAS THEN, THIS IS NOW, the character's coat was dark green instead of the usual tan. Helen's headwear wasn't used in the number either. There was no hat to arc into the wings. Helen did not don a babushka at the end. I especially liked the slower cadence of the line DON'T LOOK when Helen mentioned her ugly toes in the song.

OLIVE GARDEN - a repeat wedding sponsor  - When You're Here, You're Family.

The too-abundant red dress that Jennifer Simard usually wears was instead a shorter cut red dress. Much simpler to maneuver in, and nothing important was lost. The more efficient dress made it easier to climb the 15 steps near the end of Act 1. 

A salute to Christopher Sieber, who subtly moved Helen's discarded red coat from in front of the base of the stairs towards the couch, to allow for a clear landing of Madeline Ashton's body double Warren Yang.

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 01:01 AM

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#440Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:34am

I was there tonight too and did not realize we had an understudy until Helen came on for her book party.  TBH I preferred the understudy - she much easier to understand while sounding just like Simard.  They have shortened a lot of Act 1 since I saw it last (weeks ago) which makes the show flow much better. I hope this is a big hit and I can see it in NYC next year. 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

hearthemsing22
#441Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 8:16am

Updated On: 5/30/24 at 08:16 AM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#442Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 8:52am

Did anyone happen to get an audio slime tutorial (wink wink) of Natalie’s debut? Asking for a friend who may or may not be me… DM me :) 

bwaybrent Profile Photo
bwaybrent
#443Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 2:07pm

Natalie just posted to Instagram she’ll be on for Helen again tonight (5/30).

florida theatre kid
#444Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:17pm

It would seem Natalie's post was deleted and other Instagram stories hinted that Simard did perform tonight. 

BalconyClub
#445Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/30/24 at 11:30pm

Natalie performed the Helen Sharp role again Thursday night, but the tan coat, hat, and babushka resurfaced.

bwaybrent Profile Photo
bwaybrent
#446Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/31/24 at 2:01pm

Looks like Natalie is on again tonight (5/31)

Call_me_jorge
#447Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/31/24 at 5:19pm

The past few nights that she’s been on the “smoky hole” trick has not worked. Hopefully they can figure it out tonight.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Observation
#448Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/31/24 at 5:58pm

I'm going to try for rush tickets this weekend. Anyone try it out in Chicago yet? Wondering how busy the rush line is and how early I should get there. Box Office appears to open at 11am 

Call_me_jorge
#449Hilty & Simard to lead DEATH BECOMES HER in Chicago spring 2024
Posted: 5/31/24 at 6:02pm

Observation said: "I'm going to try for rush tickets this weekend. Anyone try it out in Chicago yet? Wondering how busy the rush line is and how early I should get there. Box Office appears to open at 11am"

It’s been fairly busy the past few days, probably because it’s the final weekend. My sister had to wait a half hour in line yesterday and she got there around 11:30.

Videos