pixeltracker

AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos

AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#1AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:26pm

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Listen-Anthony-Ramos-Says-He-Will-Play-Mozart-in-AMADEUS-on-Broadway-20230605

Well this is incredibly random. Both the news itself, as well as the way in which it was dropped. I haven't listened to the podcast, but from the pull quote, it sounds like it's a done deal? Has anyone heard anything about this? Did I miss some rumors? 

Mozart is a good role for Ramos - I can definitely see it. Extremely curious who would be directing, and of course, who the Salieri would be. Not a huge fan of this play, personally, but I could definitely get excited depending on the names/creatives behind it. 

Dollypop
#2AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:32pm

There is no confirmation that this production will actually take place...yet.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BorisTomashevsky
#3AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:36pm

They’re gonna need a star for Salieri.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#4AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:39pm

Funny, I just starting listening to this WTF episode this morning. I guess I haven’t gotten to that part yet!

I agree that this revival is - until announced by an actual press release - one of many shows that are “going to Broadway” IF the money is raised, a theater is secured, etc.

I also wonder how much of an audience still exists for this play, as great as it is. Ramos is also not really a “name” actor, so whoever plays Salieri will have to be an A-lister. 

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#5AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:44pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Ramos is also not really a “name” actor..."

You're right about that, but hopefully that will change soon. I just worked as an extra in a film he was shooting (I was right next to him!), and it's a big one. It comes out next year, so maybe by the time this happens he'll be better-known?

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#6AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:47pm

Also I don't really see Ramos as Mozart... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#7AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:52pm

I guess it's the "signed on" part that made me think it sounded more firm, along with the fact that he was willing to say it on a Podcast. That's pretty atypical particularly for actors. But I guess it's true that actors probably "sign on" for projects long before they get all the ducks in a row to make it actually happen. 

And yes I agree Ramos wouldn't sell enough tickets to keep a production afloat, especially not a large-cast show like Amadeus. But I'd bet there's more than a handful of well-known actors who'd jump at the opportunity to play Salieri.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#8AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:54pm

DooWahDiddy said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "Ramos is also not really a “name” actor..."

You're right about that, but hopefully that will change soon. I just worked as an extra in a film he was shooting (I was right next to him!), and it's a big one. It comes out next year, so maybe by the time this happens he'll be better-known?
"

He's the lead in the new Transformers, which comes out on Friday. It's his highest-profile gig so far.

Updated On: 6/5/23 at 01:54 PM

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#9AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 1:59pm

I'm assuming they're going for a Benedict Cumberbatch type for Salieri

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#10AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 2:04pm

love the idea of Ramos as Wolfie.  Please please Rylance for Salieri.

barring him, a dream not quite so shortlist

Tony Shalhoub
Joe Morton
Edward Norton
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Jefferson Mayes
Brendan Fraser (unorthodox but could so work)
Randall Duk Kim
Joseph Mawle 
Jimmy Smits (the In the Heights Connection and he'd be amazing)
Eliseo Roman (inspired by a more extended In the Heights connection, he'd be amazing and he sounds like F Murray) 
Alfred Molina 
Anthony LaPaglia 
Liev Schreiber
David Kurmholtz
Vince D'Onofrio
Greg Kinnear 
Ken Watanabe (if his English has improved since last time on Bdwy... ok, improved a lot) 
Campbell Scott 
JK Simmons
David Strathairn

Updated On: 6/5/23 at 02:04 PM

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#11AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 2:19pm

TaffyDavenport said: "He's the lead in the newTransformers, which comes out on Friday. It's his highest-profile gig so far."

Cool, so hopefully he can piggyback off that and the movie he just shot will keep making his stock rise in 2024. I actually had to sign an NDA as an extra, so I can't say what it is. I don't know how hard it would be to find out, though, lol.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#12AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 2:21pm

Twisters?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#13AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 3:01pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I also wonder how much of an audience still exists for this play, as great as it is."

Why wouldn't there be an audience for it? 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 3:59pm

MCfan2 said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I also wonder how much of an audience still exists for this play, as great as it is."
Why wouldn't there be an audience for it?
"

Because there's not a sustainable Broadway audience for the title of pretty much ANY play (with the current singular exception of HARRY POTTER). It's a vehicle for two major stars. With Ramos being of similar name value to Elisabeth Moss in THE HEIDI CHRONICLES or Corey Hawkins/Yahya Abdul-Mateen II in TOPDOG, they'll need a bigger name alongside him for any chance of recoupment.

Interested to see who is directing and if it will be transposed for contemporary times or remain a period piece.

I'd love to see Robin De Jesus play Mozart at a regional theatre/nonprofit.

Updated On: 6/5/23 at 03:59 PM

GrecLivminyordamidro
#15AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 4:12pm

JoeW4 said: "https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Listen-Anthony-Ramos-Says-He-Will-Play-Mozart-in-AMADEUS-on-Broadway-20230605webpage

Well this is incredibly random. Both the news itself, as well as the way in which it was dropped. I haven't listened to the podcast, but from the pull quote, it sounds like it's a done deal? Has anyone heard anything about this? Did I miss some rumors?

Mozart is a good role for Ramos - I can definitely see it. Extremely curious who would be directing, and of course, who the Salieri would be. Not a huge fan of this play, personally, but I could definitely get excited depending on the names/creatives behind it.
"

The composition of those who will play very worthy in my opinion 

Jarethan
#16AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 5:43pm

henrikegerman said: "love the idea of Ramos as Wolfie. Please please Rylance for Salieri.

Tony Shalhoub
Joe Morton
Edward Norton
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Jefferson Mayes
Randall Duk Kim
Joseph Mawle
Eliseo Roman (inspired by a more extended In the Heights connection, he'd be amazing and he sounds like F Murray)
Alfred Molina
Anthony LaPaglia
Liev Schreiber
David Kurmholtz
Vince D'Onofrio
Greg Kinnear
Ken Watanabe (if his English has improved since last time on Bdwy... ok, improved a lot)
Campbell Scott
JK Simmons
David Strathairn

None of whom would sell enough tickets unless their reviews and the revival’s review are so spectacular that they then sell tickets; think Janet McTeer A Doll’s House and, I think, LaPaglia View from Bridge, both of which also have dramatically smaller casts.

"

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#17AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 6:36pm

Jarethan said: "henrikegerman said: "love the idea of Ramos as Wolfie. Please please Rylance for Salieri.

Tony Shalhoub
Joe Morton
Edward Norton
Brian Stokes Mitchell
Jefferson Mayes
Randall Duk Kim
Joseph Mawle
Alfred Molina
Anthony LaPaglia
Liev Schreiber
David Kurmholtz
Vince D'Onofrio
Greg Kinnear
Campbell Scott
JK Simmons
David Strathairn

None of whom would sell enough tickets unless their reviews and the revival’s review are so spectacular that they then sell tickets; think Janet McTeer A Doll’s House and, I think, LaPaglia View from Bridge, both of which also have dramatically smaller casts.

"

"

Correct as to most but mot so sure re: Rylance, Fraser, Norton and Shalhoub.

If you're asking for bigger names, Cranston woukd ne my first choice. 

yes in real life Salieri was only six years older than Mozart, but does it matter?

Updated On: 6/5/23 at 06:36 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#18AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 7:31pm

Octogenarian or not, I’d be willing to bet F. Murray Abraham has been at least sent an inquiry of interest; especially fresh off his success in The White Lotus.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#19AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 8:18pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I also wonder how much of an audience still exists for this play, as great as it is. Ramos is also not really a “name” actor, so whoever plays Salieri will have to be an A-lister."

Ramos is the star or co-star of 4 upcoming blockbuster films plus he’s the lead for an upcoming Disney+/marvel series. He’ll definitely be a “name” actor by the end of this year.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Dollypop
#20AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/5/23 at 11:35pm

What about Thomas Hulce as Salieri. Or Peter Firth?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#21AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/6/23 at 1:28am

Tom Hulce isn’t acting anymore. That would be neat though, even if he’s too old to pull off the “younger” scenes. Michael Sheen, who played Mozart in the last Broadway revival, recently did Salieri in Australia, which is cool.

I sense that whoever does Salieri will be a Brit. What 40-ish English actor is famous and appropriate for the role? Matt Smith would be interesting if his House of the Dragon shooting schedule allows for it. Matthew Macfadyen perhaps? 

BoringBoredBoard40
#22AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/6/23 at 1:39am

darquegk said: "Octogenarian or not, I’d be willing to bet F. Murray Abraham has been at least sent an inquiry of interest; especially fresh off his success in The White Lotus."

He was harassing people during production on Mythic Quest and got let go for it, this just came out a few weeks ago, I doubt he is coming back to the stage anytime soon 

Jarethan
#23AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/6/23 at 3:24am

henrikegerman said: "Jarethan said: "henrikegerman said: "love the idea of Ramos as Wolfie. Please please Rylance for Salieri.

If you're asking for bigger names, Cranston woukd ne my first choice.

yes in real life Salieri was only six years older than Mozart, but does it matter?
"

I assume a show this big would need an open end, unless a John Doyle approach is used.  It would be expensive to present and run.

in a year in which a just-Oscar winner did very good, but not great business (and I assume the investors lost a good part of their investment), I absolutely question whether any of those people could sell enough tickets, minus incredible reviews.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#24AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/6/23 at 7:32am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Tom Hulce isn’t acting anymore. That would be neat though, even if he’s too old to pull off the “younger” scenes. Michael Sheen, who played Mozart in the last Broadway revival, recently did Salieri in Australia, which is cool.

I sense that whoever does Salieri will be a Brit. What 40-ish English actor is famous and appropriate for the role? Matt Smith would be interesting if his House of the Dragon shooting schedule allows for it. Matthew Macfadyen perhaps?
"

LOL, I'm telling y'all. Cumberbatch is definitely on top of this list.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#25AMADEUS Revival with Anthony Ramos
Posted: 6/6/23 at 8:15am

Well Ramos isn't making anything up... investors are being lined up for this

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12