Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB

Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#1Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 1:03pm

https://www.facebook.com/broadwaybopo/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CuAAgzOukDP/

"The Muny, we are kindly asking for the fatphobic LeFou costume to be readjusted. 
Fat suits should not be used for comedic effect. LeFou (debatably) does not need to be portrayed as fat anyway. 
Theatre artists and theatre goers, feel free to express your concerns to The MUNY at 314-361-1900.
Their email is MUNYINFO@MUNY.COM."

More info on their Instagram. Simply the messenger of this movement

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#2Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 1:12pm

Also interesting that in a comment they confirm that Tommy Braco (the actor for Lefou) has been providing them with the information for MUNY leadership 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

BorisTomashevsky
#3Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 1:54pm

Definitely supporting them in their mission to get the costume changed. 

The Muny may also want to consider removing that b-roll of Ben Crawford sounding not-so-great on his solo. Who approved that clip? 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 1:57pm

Voter said: "Also interesting that in a comment they confirm that Tommy Braco (the actor for Lefou) has been providing them with the information for MUNY leadership"

I'm sure performing in a fat suit in 80+ degree weather is a chore to say the least, and it's really not necessary.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#5Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 2:55pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "Definitely supporting them in their mission to get the costume changed.

The Muny may also want to consider removing that b-roll of Ben Crawford sounding not-so-great on his solo. Who approved that clip?
"

Honestly I feel like taking this role after Phantom when his voice may have not recovered fully yet... It's only been 2.5 months?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#6Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 3:05pm

He sounds fine to me. What’s the big deal?

BorisTomashevsky
#7Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 3:12pm

CATSNYrevival said: "He sounds fine to me. What’s the big deal?"

Flat and cracks all over the place. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#8Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 4:52pm

So, they think that actors should be able to be fat and act on stage, but it's not okay to pretend to be fat?  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 4:59pm

It’s not okay to use a fat suit for comedic purpose. Although Melissa McCarthy uses it to great comedic effect. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 5:04pm

Ben Crawford sounds great.

I know Muny shows have to reach 10,000 audience members a night, but holy moly those production values are chintzy. They've also done the show 4 times in 17 years.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 5:50pm

The Muny is not Encores. They want to make money. And it's mostly a family friendly place. Makes sense.

A.J.
#12Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 5:50pm

Impeach2017 said: "So, they think that actors should be able to be fat and act on stage, but it's not okay to pretend to be fat?"

1) In 2023, it’s not respectful to use a body type as a punchline. 

2) More often than not, professional musicals cast exclusively skinny people. It adds insult to injury when there’s a skinny performer onstage augmenting their body to play a fat person, because the creative team only wanted to hire skinny people. 

Updated On: 6/27/23 at 05:50 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#13Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 7:00pm

A totally different issue, but I’m surprised that in all these years I’ve only seen a little person/actor with dwarfism play the decidedly little Lefou once.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#14Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 9:14pm

Although I agree with Broadway Body Positivity Project‘s overall message, I also find their leader rather grating. Like the Onstage Blog guy, she comes across as yet another failed actor who has turned their bitterness into nonstop social media outrage. A lot of “I’m an activist!” stuff which usually reads to me as mostly self-serving narcissism.

That said, yeah, the MUNY should get rid of the Lefou fat suit.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 9:58pm

I agree with the mission - I don’t understand why we can’t get some thick men on Broadway in romantic leading roles! Why is everyone always rail thin and straight! But yes the messaging is .. off 

greggregson
#16Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 10:37pm

Using the terms “rail thin” and “skinny” are not the compliments people seem to think they are. Most men that receive this moniker work hard to not be “skinny.” There are lots of body image issues in the actor community around being seen as skinny and not “fit” or “strong.” Maybe let’s just stop commenting on people’s bodies.

A.J.
#17Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/27/23 at 11:14pm

Delete

Updated On: 6/28/23 at 11:14 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#18Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 12:41am

A.J. said: "Impeach2017 said: "So, they think that actors should be able to be fat and act on stage, but it's not okay to pretend to be fat?"

1) In 2023, it’s not respectful to use a body type as a punchline.

2) More often than not, professional musicals cast exclusively skinny people. It adds insult to injury when there’s a skinny performer onstage augmenting their body to play a fat person, because the creative team only wanted to hire skinny people.
"

And sadly, slim Lefous in fat suits have been a thing since the 90's. Their jawlines never matched the body suit and it has always looked so strange, particularly because the character doesn't need it. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Tsao5
#19Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 12:50am

Am I totally off. I thought the reason for the actor playing LeFou to have a "fat suit" was actually protection padding for

all the pratfalls he does. I believe it was implicitly stated years ago, that it was to protect the actor.  There are

no "fat jokes" at all in the show. Even if an overweight actor plays the part, that actor would have to wear the padded

fat suit to simply protect him. When did all this fat suit nonsense come in? Who is even going on and on about this?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#20Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 8:34am

Having Lefou in the padded suit also adds to the juxtaposition of him and Gaston. Which is more likely the point.
Doesn't Gaston usually wear muscle padding? Who's fighting that fight?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#21Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 8:36am

Tsao5 said: "Am I totally off. I thought the reason for the actor playing LeFou to have a "fat suit" was actually protection padding for

all the pratfalls he does. I believe it was implicitly stated years ago, that it was to protect the actor. There are

no "fat jokes" at all in the show. Even if an overweight actor plays the part, that actor would have to wear the padded

fat suit to simply protect him. When did all this fat suit nonsense come in? Who is even going on and on about this?
"

I believe you are correct. I love the show/movie, and there ha never been any jokes related to LeFou's weight, or anything to suggest fat-phobic type harm. If it is the case in this production, the issue is more of the director, than anyone. There is also something fishy about  Tommy Braco providing the information to the project that rubs me the wrong way. 

Also, the show is over this Friday. A little late on the uptake?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#22Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 9:38am

Tag said: "Having Lefou in the padded suit also adds to the juxtaposition of him and Gaston. Which is more likely the point.
Doesn't Gaston usually wear muscle padding? Who's fighting that fight?
"

That was my thought. Is there a punchline here? There's no mention of his body in the show. So, I imagine it was copying the film. And the film also had him the height of a little person, but likely also to further contrast Gaston. I could see it work equally well with a very slim, non-muscular actor.

But all the same, the juxtaposition seems to be the storytelling, not purely one character's weight.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#23Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 10:06am

greggregson said: "Using the terms “rail thin” and “skinny” are not the compliments people seem to think they are. Most men that receive this moniker work hard to not be “skinny.” There are lots of body image issues in the actor community around being seen as skinny and not “fit” or “strong.” Maybe let’s just stop commenting on people’s bodies."

Yes, this. Nobody knows the internal struggle that anyone is going through regarding their weight or health, no matter what they look like on the outside.

Citing certain people on social media because of their perceived size (in particular labeling them “plus-sized) can be deeply harmful.

Beyond that, yes, the person running that account is deeply cringey and uninformed. Imploring “Broadway producers” to transfer the Olney BATB when the singular rightsholder of that show is Disney, who will surely never let anyone else produce it?? It wouldn’t be wrong to call her ignorant. 

Updated On: 6/28/23 at 10:06 AM

DaveyG
#24Broadway Body Positivity Project urges MUNY to reconsider fat suits in BATB
Posted: 6/28/23 at 11:09am

Beyond that, yes, the person running that account is deeply cringey and uninformed. Imploring “Broadway producers” to transfer the Olney BATB when the singular rightsholder of that show is Disney, who will surely never let anyone else produce it?? It wouldn’t be wrong to call her ignorant."

There's a whole generation of frustrated performers who have a platform on TikTok and other platforms. Most don't have a clue how a show is put together and financed. 

Updated On: 6/28/23 at 11:09 AM

Videos