NY Times Fall Season Preview

OuttaTowner
#1NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 8/22/23 at 8:37am

Anyone know the date that this will be published this year?  Growing up, getting this edition was like a second Christmas morning (social media has largely obliterated the big, splashy show announcements that I couldn’t wait to see in the preview)

BoringBoredBoard40
#2NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 8/22/23 at 10:28am

I believe September 17th?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#3NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 8/22/23 at 11:31am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "I believe September 17th?"

Sometimes it's been the first Sunday after Labor Day but I don't have hard details on when it'll drop this year.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 3:28pm

I find nothing too exciting this year besides Doubt and Paula Vogel play in the spring. 

BETTY22
#6NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 4:14pm

What an exciting season - and we still have more shows to be announced.

I cannot wait for it all to begin.

I wish there were a few more original musicals - but I'm excited to see all these revivals. 

OhHiii
#7NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 4:20pm

I'd be willing to bet that we're getting a few announcements next week to coincide with this issue. It always happens this way. Theaters have to be spoken for at this point, so with the lack of recent announcements I'd expect at least 2-3 next week.

Updated On: 9/8/23 at 04:20 PM

Zeppie2022
#8NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 7:23pm

The ones I would be most interested in seeing would be "Doubt", "Purlie Victorius", "Gutenberg the Musical", "Melissa Etheridge/My Window" and "Hells Kitchen".

cjmclaughlin10
#9NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 7:55pm

Stereophonic
Swing State 

Hells Kitchen 

I Can Get it For You Wholesale 

are all on my November trip itinerary (along with Scene Partners @The Vineyard) 

Merilly and Here We Are are scheduled for my Holiday season trip 

sppunk
#10NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 9:48pm

I find the fall season pretty underwhelming - have tickets to:

- Hell’s Kitchen
- Merrily

Waiting on reviews of;

- Gutenberg
- Danny and the Deep Blue Sea
- Scene Partners (mainly because I absolutely adored Great Comet &hellipNY Times Fall Season Preview
- How to Dance might be interesting but I don’t think my schedule works for it and I have doubts on its worthiness  

Winter/spring is a different story. I plan to see:

- Doubt
- Notebook
- Outsiders
- Mother”s Play
- Enemy of the People
- Cabaret

steve.sometime
#11NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 11:18pm

It looks pretty exciting to me!

My absolute must-sees are:
- Appropriate
- Arcadia
- Cabaret
- The Connector
- Doubt
- The Frogs (have ticket)
- Hell's Kitchen
- Here We Are (have ticket)
- The Lonely Few
- Mother Play
- The Notebook
- Orlando
- Prayer for the French Republic
- Teeth
- Terce: A Practical Breviary
- Three Houses

I will very likely see the following, but might wait for discounts & reviews
- Buena Vista Social Club
- Danny and the Deep Blue Sea
- The Gardens of Anuncia (saw it already in San Diego)
- Harmony
- How to Dance in Ohio
- I Can Get It for You Wholesale
- Jaja's African Hair Braiding
- Jelly's Last Jam
- Merrily We Roll Along (saw it already at NYTW)
- Once Upon A Mattress
- Pal Joey
- Poor Yella Rednecks
- Purlie Victorious
- Scene Partners
- Spamalot (saw it already in DC)
- Stereophonic

Updated On: 9/8/23 at 11:18 PM

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#12NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/8/23 at 11:37pm

As of right now, my Fall shows are as follows:

September

• Merrily We Roll Along
  • Gutenberg

October

• The Great Gatsby (Papermill)

November

• Here We Are

Plan to See

• Sweeney Todd (again)
  • How To Dance in Ohio

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/9/23 at 1:24am

How to Dance gives me The Prom vibes. Like it won’t be bad but will it be something that makes an impact? We shall see. I honestly forget it’s opening. I also thought Here Lies Love and Back to the future would have made bigger impacts or at least been hotter tickets. Curious to see what the hit of the seasons will be with the new musicals. And feel like we haven’t had a hit hot play in ages! 

Falsettolands
#14NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/9/23 at 3:13am

RippedMan said: "And feel like we haven’t had a hit hot play in ages!"

This is...a joke, right? Leopoldstadt extended three times and broke box office records.

JasonC3
#15NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/9/23 at 6:24am

RippedMan said: "How to Dance gives me The Prom vibes. Like it won’t be bad but will it be something that makes an impact? We shall see. I honestly forget it’s opening. I also thought Here Lies Love and Back to the future would have made bigger impacts or at least been hotter tickets. Curious to see what the hit of the seasons will be with the new musicals. And feel like we haven’t had a hit hot play in ages!"

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "having an impact"?  On who or what?  In what manner?  I don't want to assume I know how you're using the phrase.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#16NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/9/23 at 1:58pm

We have tickets for:

• Here We Are
  • Merrily
  • Pal Joey
  • Harmony

Plan on seeing:

• Spamalot
  • Prayer For The French Republic

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#17NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/9/23 at 9:28pm

I have Fall tickets so far for

Jaja’s African Hair Braiding

The Great Gatsby (Papermill)

I Can Get it for You Wholesale

Hell’s Kitchen

Here We Are

Danny and the Deep Blue Sea

Dreamgirls (Goodspeed)

Sugarhill: Nutcracker

The Gardens of Anuncia

Stereophonic

Will also be purchasing tickets for 

Druid O’Casey

Harmony
Appropriate

Buena Vista Social Club

Prayer for the French Republic 

MezzA101
#18NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/10/23 at 9:04am

Interesting that it's available online so many days before print this year. It's not in today's Arts & Leisure. Last year's Fall Preview was a multi-section spread with lots of ads. Looking forward to next Sunday.

zedpi
#19NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 1:32pm

So far just booked tickets for Here We Are & Merrily

but am also planning to see this fall:

• Infinite Life
  • The Refuge Plays
  • Swing State
  • Appropriate
  • Buena Vista Social Club
  • Prayer for the French Republic
  • Arcadia
  • Merry Me

winter / spring eying:

• Terce
  • Once Upon a Mattress
  • The Connector
  • Cabaret
  • Three Houses
  • Teeth
  • Sally & Tom

still feels like a quiet season, am hoping for more shows to be announced

OhHiii
#20NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 2:31pm

MezzA101 said: "Interesting that it's available online so many days before print this year. It's not in today's Arts & Leisure. Last year's Fall Preview was a multi-section spread with lots of ads. Looking forward to next Sunday."

What was posted in this thread is not the Arts Fall Preview section of the paper. I think advance copies of that get sent out on Wednesdays to the industry if they still do that, so we'll be getting more info tomorrow on additional shows.

Lempicka is probably testing their website and everything for an impending official announcement as I type.

MezzA101
#21NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 3:08pm

The linked article, and the one that references "Here We Are" that I pointed to in that thread, have Fall Preview in the title and haven't shown up in print yet.

Worth noting here that if you have a NYT subscription you can use Pressreader to read online up to 30 days back on your computer or mobile device all print issues of NYT which means viewing all the ads on Sunday when presumably A&L will be the Fall Preview.

ardiem
#22NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 3:33pm

MezzA101 said: "The linked article, and the one that references "Here We Are" that I pointed to in that thread, have Fall Preview in the title and haven't shown up in print yet.

Worth noting here that if you have a NYT subscription you can use Pressreader to read online up to 30 days back on your computer or mobile device all print issues of NYT which means viewing all the ads on Sunday when presumably A&L will be the Fall Preview.
"

I've never heard of this perk! I tried looking for how I can access it and I can't find anything in my NYT account page (which https://nytimes.pressreader.com/ suggests I check). For what it's worth, I'm a digital all access pass subscriber, with no home delivery.

MezzA101
#23NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 4:10pm

I get home delivery but I think the perk is available to digital-only subscribers as well. Go to Subscriber Perks. For me, the third one down is a hyperlink to Replica Edition. Tell me if you have it.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#24NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/11/23 at 5:29pm

For what it's worth, I have a news-only digital subscription and that perk is not listed. But it's very cheap so I'm not complaining!

MezzA101
#25NY Times Fall Season Preview
Posted: 9/16/23 at 4:32pm

The 4-section Fall Preview was delivered to home delivery subscribers today. I'm not that enthused for much of the Fall offerings, but it's great seeing all the full-page ads!