pixeltracker

SUFFS is coming to Broadway - Page 8

SUFFS is coming to Broadway

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#175SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:31am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "ACL2006 said: "Fantastic, now the Jenn Collela crazies will be back dominating their rush/lotto."

I am so grateful to not understand what this means.
"

Her fans were pretty unbearable during the peak of Come From Away. Her fans would line up early when the show sold SRO and frequently rotate people in and out of the line until the box office opened.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#176SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:42am

auroraspice62 said: "I do realize that, and I said the same thing about him. My intent is not to say anything poorly about Shaina Taub, I think she's an excellent writer. But I do think that there are plenty of wonderful actors out there who could fill this role. Do any of you stop to think before you make assumptions about others?"

It looks like the assumption was that you have an issue with her starring in the show, which turns out to be true, so I don't get why you're offended by the implication. Believe me, I don't like defending that poster, but their comment wasn't completely off-base.

Updated On: 1/17/24 at 11:42 AM

auroraspice62
#177SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 11:57am

TaffyDavenport said: "auroraspice62 said: "I do realize that, and I said the same thing about him. My intent is not to say anything poorly about Shaina Taub, I think she's an excellent writer. But I do think that there are plenty of wonderful actors out there who could fill this role. Do any of you stop to think before you make assumptions about others?"

It looks like the assumption was that you have an issue with her starring in the show, which turns out to be true, so I don't get why you're offended by the implication. Believe me, I don't like defending that poster, but their comment wasn't completely off-base.

Oh, I'm not offended. But I think that reply was pretty clear that I was treating Shaina differently than Lin and/or treating her badly. I'm not on either count. I just think she could give space as a creative to a deserving and talented actor, of which there are tons, to play that part. With the power of the rest of the cast, it could even be a great chance to discover a new talent. 

It's a slight difference between 🤷‍♂️ and 🙄.   

Updated On: 1/17/24 at 11:57 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#178SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 12:21pm

It's not her job to provide opporturnities to "others".   If she and the producers believe is the best (or even a good enough) choice then good for her.  

LMM created In the Heights to star in, FOLLOWED by Hamilton - to star in.  Heck, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon wrote Good Will Hunting so they could star in it because Hollywood wasn't knocking on their doors.  Nothing wrong with it at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

chrishuyen
#179SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 1:56pm

I was honestly a little disappointed to see Shaina Taub was still playing Alice Paul, because while I think she has a very unique voice, I don't think her acting was quite there for me.  But the rest of the cast is still pretty exciting (Grace McLean was an absolute standout) despite not having Phillipa Soo (who I also thought was radiant off Broadway), and I'm excited to see what changes they made (I personally hope that they did away with the recitative and made it not sung through, but we'll see)

auroraspice62
#180SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 2:23pm

dramamama611 said: "It's not her job to provide opporturnities to "others". If she and the producers believe is the best (or even a good enough) choice then good for her.

LMM created In the Heights to star in, FOLLOWED by Hamilton - to star in. Heck, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon wrote Good Will Hunting so they could star in it because Hollywood wasn't knocking on their doors. Nothing wrong with it at all.
"

I never said it was their "job". I just think it's something they could do. And to reiterate, I think the same thing about Lin. I'm not knocking Shaina's talent or treating her differently than anyone else in this situation.

Updated On: 1/17/24 at 02:23 PM

TaffyDavenport
#181SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 2:33pm

On a related note, Shaina does have an alternate: Hawley Gould, last seen on Broadway in LCT's Camelot.

Dan6
#182SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 4:30pm

Phillipa Soo and Steven Pasquale were scheduled to be on the Broadway Cruise March 13-18.  On January 3, the cruise organizer sent an email saying that they would not be participating because they "have been cast in roles in new works that conflict with the dates of our cruise."  (Replaced by Bernadette, so not all bad.)  Knowing that Suffs starts previews the following week, I automatically assumed that's what they were referring to, but obviously there's something else in the offing.  I thought she was wonderful at the Public and will miss her in this production, although I also loved Hannah Cruz in The Connector. 

RW3
#183SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 7:13pm

So if Suffs lasts into the summer, is Shaina going to leave when Devil Wears Prada starts in Plymouth or…

getatme
#184SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 8:10pm

I guess I’ll be the lone dissenter and say that I thought Soo was wildly miscast at the Public. Did not for a single second buy her as a brassy socialite. Hannah Cruz and McLean were by far the standout performances for me, and I’m please Cruz will be taking a larger role on Broadway. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#185SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:26pm

So Hannah Cruz is replacing Soo, and Emily Skinner is replacing Aisha de Haas? Any other replacements?

Kinda rich to see people tsktsk-ing Taub for playing the lead in the show she conceptualized start to finish, when LMM is now a household name and multi millionaire for doing precisely the same thing. The sexism isnt intentional but wow is it glaring.

auroraspice62
#186SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/17/24 at 10:59pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "So Hannah Cruz is replacing Soo, and Emily Skinner is replacing Aisha de Haas? Any other replacements?

Kinda rich to see people tsktsk-ing Taub for playing the lead in the show she conceptualized start to finish, when LMM is now a household name and multi millionaire for doing precisely the same thing. The sexism isnt intentional but wow is it glaring.
"

I think I can safely assume that last paragraph is at least in part aimed at me. I wouldn't say I'm tsk-tsking her. As I've said numerous times now, I feel exactly the same way about Lin and anyone who does this. It's not a judgement of Shaina or her talent and most certainly not about her sex or gender. I just consider it a missed opportunity. So sue me, Adelaide. And side note, Lin would've been a multi-millionaire without having starred in either show of his.

Det95
#187SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/24 at 8:10am

TaffyDavenport said: "On a related note, Shaina does have an alternate: Hawley Gould, last seen on Broadway in LCT's Camelot."

Where did you see this? Can't seem to find it

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#188SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 1/18/24 at 8:31am

auroraspice62 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "So Hannah Cruz is replacing Soo, and Emily Skinner is replacing Aisha de Haas? Any other replacements?

"

I think I can safely assume that last paragraph is at least in part aimed at me. I wouldn't say I'm tsk-tsking her. As I've said numerous times now, I feel exactly the same way about Lin and anyone who does this. It's not a judgement of Shaina or her talent and most certainly not about her sex or gender. I just consider it a missed opportunity. So sue me, Adelaide. And side note, Lin would've been a multi-millionaire without having starred in either show of his.
"

Guess I’m in the minority because I purposely skipped seeing LMM in Hamilton because I think it’s a terrible actor and singer. And sounds like almost the same situation here. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#189SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 1:48am

Presales are doing very well and the first two months of the run are selling at 90%.  They are definitely a lock for a Best Musical nomination.  All they have to do is get somewhat decent reviews, market the show properly, and it sounds like a hit. 

TaffyDavenport
#190SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 4:07am

Broadway Flash said: "Presales are doing very well and the first two months of the run are selling at 90%. They are definitely a lock for a Best Musical nomination. All they have to do is get somewhat decent reviews, market the show properly,and it sounds like a hit."

Not sure where you’re looking, but sales on Telecharge are nowhere near 90%, and, actually, I’d say they’re poor, with the mezzanine very undersold for most performances.

Updated On: 2/19/24 at 04:07 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#191SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/19/24 at 7:45am

Looking at the seating charts, it is obvious that they are holding back premium orchestra seats making it look like they are well sold.

Ensemble1696584123
TaffyDavenport
#193SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 10:57am

It would be nice if they announced Shaina's alternate's schedule.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#194SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 12:25pm

Soo was the best performance at The Public.  Shaina doesn't have much a presence on stage.  Lin does, more so.  We also wish the Broadway production was cast with a more exciting ACTRESS singer in this role. 

JSquared2
#195SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 12:59pm

inception said: "Looking at the seating charts, it is obvious that they are holding back premium orchestra seats making it look like they are well sold."

They’re  called house seats and they’re held back on every show. Shows in previews also hold back a lot of production seats for the creative team. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#196SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 2:07pm

JSquared2 said: 

They’re called house seats and they’re held back on every show. Shows in previews also hold back a lot of production seats for the creative team."

100 house seats for almost every performance?

Bobster159
#197SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 2:33pm

inception said: "JSquared2 said:

They’re called house seats and they’re held back on every show. Shows in previews also hold back a lot of production seats for the creative team."

Yes, that's totally normal. To see this in real-time, check out how much is opening up for the Notebook in the days before each performance. And what opens up is only the unused house seats, so there were many more to begin with.

"

JSquared2
#198SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/24/24 at 4:50pm

inception said: "JSquared2 said:

"

Closer to 200. The theatre owner alone gets 40-50 pairs for each performance. Then there are 20-30 production seat holds, press holds, etc — it adds up! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#199SUFFS is coming to Broadway
Posted: 2/27/24 at 1:18am

TaffyDavenport said: "It would be nice if they announced Shaina's alternate's schedule."

Also wondering if Shaina will be taking a leave of absence for DEVIL WEARS PRADA's two preview periods in England (out of town + west end) or if she's no longer actively involved with that show.