pixeltracker

Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?

Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?

sng
#1Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/16/23 at 11:29pm

Because if they want, they can easily identify the bootleggers, arrest or send a cease and desist by now. yet bootlegs are as popular as ever. 

Do you think theatres are allowing bootlegs to promote the shows?

Listener
#2Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/16/23 at 11:34pm

That was one theatre in one city. Who knows.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#3Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/16/23 at 11:37pm

It’s really up to the ushers I guess. But especially in a 3,000 seat touring house it’s a losing battle.

Islander_fan
#4Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/16/23 at 11:57pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "It’s really up to the ushers I guess. But especially in a 3,000 seat touring house it’s a losing battle."

Well, to be honest, I can say with 100 percent certainty that it’s a loosing battle period. It has nothing to do with the size of the house, it simply has to do with the fact that the number of patrons always outnumbers the number of ushers/house staff at any given performance. We try, sure. But, no matter how hard we try, bootlegs will still slip through the cracks. It’s inevitable. So no, no one is deliberately allowing bootlegging. Despite it showing up in the Boebert video, doesn’t mean that theatres condone that action. I should also point out that there have been shows here and there (not many) where we were told that the ushers don’t want us running around the aisles to stop people from filming. That they would take care of it on their end. 

Phantom4ever
#5Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/17/23 at 3:08pm

When I asked an usher to ask someone to stop filming two rows ahead of me at a Broadway show a few months ago, the usher replied "Ugh. Listen. If I do that, I have to get the House Manager involved and it's this whole big thing, ok?"  So yeah, theaters are most definitely allowing bootleggers and the theatertok is wholeheartedly supporting it. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#6Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/17/23 at 3:22pm

It depends on the producers... some pass along info NOT to interfere, others want it shut down.

The story above about the usher not doing there job.... is a different story. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

singer234
#7Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/17/23 at 3:43pm

I’m sure they could, but I’m fairly certain these types of cameras are there for SECURITY security reasons..as in to keep people alive or find out what happened in a worst case scenario. Bootlegs are not their primary concern.

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
#8Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/17/23 at 4:49pm

singer234 said: "..I'm fairly certain these types of cameras are there for SECURITY security reasons..as in to keep people alive or find out what happened in a worst case scenario..."

That's comforting. Enjoy the show!

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#9Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:59am

Ushers don’t care. 

i was on a 1NT - I liked walking around the house on two show days, I’d chat with ushers. I’d ask “if you saw someone filming, what would you do?” All said “nothing”

im profilming/recording. 

Islander_fan
#10Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 3:01am

JBradshaw said: "Ushers don’t care.

i was on a 1NT - I liked walking around the house on two show days, I’d chat with ushers. I’d ask “if you saw someone filming, what would you do?” All said “nothing”

I honestly don’t know what part of that story to question first. 

im profilming/recording."

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#11Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 3:38am

I think that anyone with a passion for this art form supports bootlegs.

I also think that bootlegs are keeping theatre alive. Some of the best performances ever have been documented this way. Theatre is extremely fleeting and if we only had the terrible movie adaptations or "pro shot" versions with bad casts, there would be nothing left to keep it alive or to document the magic in history. Some gems of shows don't even have an official document at all, not even a cast recording. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#12Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 5:19am

The real question is: why are you trying to deflect from the story at hand with some sort of off the wall "accusation" directed against theaters and their staff?

hearthemsing22
#13Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:02am

Seb28 said: "I think that anyone with a passion for this art form supports bootlegs.

I also think that bootlegs are keeping theatre alive. Some of the best performances ever have been documented this way. Theatre is extremely fleeting and if we only had the terrible movie adaptations or "pro shot" versions with bad casts, there would be nothing left to keep it alive or to document the magic in history. Some gems of shows don't even have an official document at all, not even a cast recording.

I have a deep passion for this art form, and I rarely support bootlegs.I've seen actors take to social media explaining how obnoxious it is, how it distracts them, how it's taking their performances without their permission, how distracting it is to them. No matter how good of a performer you are, it doesn't matter- they can be distracted by filming, photos. It comes down to no respect for performers. Selfishness. I'm well aware of how expensive theater is-that's no excuse for saying "me recording is more important than respecting performers". K. I'm done with that rant now, and don't come for me. I'm entitled to say this without it becoming a whole big thing. 

Also no- I think it would be impossible for ushers to reach everyone filming. They're not deliberately allowing it-they just can't reach people especially if they're in the front row of the orchestra, say, without completely stopping the show. So no they're not deliberately allowing it. 

"

RunnyBabbit
#14Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:07am

There’s probably very little reason to look at security video unless an issue arises. Sure, the theatres could go through every video and try to track down bootleggers, but the only reason for this video to be reviewed (and subsequently become public) was because of an issue that arose during the show.

hearthemsing22
#15Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:09am

RunnyBabbit said: "There’s probably very little reason to look at security video unless an issue arises. Sure, the theatres could go through every video and try to track down bootleggers, but the only reason for this video to be reviewed (and subsequently become public) was because of an issue that arose during the show."

I second that. The priority was to make sure no disruptions were happening during the show, and vaping/whatever else was happening with her takes precedence over filming 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#16Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:16am

Exactly, these videos are not actively monitored in real time.  They are referenced when there are incidents.

hearthemsing22
#17Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:18am

Tag said: "Exactly, these videos are not actively monitored in real time. They are referenced when there are incidents."

Actually I don't think that's necessarily true. I had a situation where a couple near me was talking and taking photos during the first act of the show. I told an usher, and they told me they'd keep an eye on those people because there was a camera pointed at that section of the theater that they could watch and monitor. 

JSquared2
#18Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:24am

Seb28 said: "I think that anyone with a passion for this art form supports bootlegs.

One of the dumbest statements I've ever read on BWW.  At least today.

"

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#19Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 11:56am

hearthemsing22 said: "Tag said: "Exactly, these videos are not actively monitored in real time. They are referenced when there are incidents."

Actually I don't think that's necessarily true. I had a situation where a couple near me was talking and taking photos during the first act of the show. I told an usher, and they told me they'd keep an eye on those people because there was a camera pointed at that section of the theater that they could watch and monitor.
"

Yes, because you alerted them to it.

sinister teashop
#20Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:18pm

Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

I understand the security rationale for having CCTV's pointed directly at the audience but I do not understand the rationale for not notifying patrons that they are going into an environment where they are being recorded other than fear of spooking ticket sales. And that is just sleazy...

And not just sleazy, a potential legal mess. The Boebert tape was "obtained by CNN affiliate KUSA" whatever that means but it probably means a lot of money has been exchanged obtaining that tape. 

Updated On: 9/18/23 at 12:18 PM

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#21Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:37pm

sinister teashop said: "Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

I understand the security rationale for having CCTV's pointed directly at the audience but I do not understand the rationale for not notifying patrons that they are going into an environment where they are being recorded other than fear of spooking ticket sales. And that is just sleazy...

And not just sleazy, a potential legal mess. The Boebert tape was "obtained by CNN affiliateKUSA"whatever that means but it probably means a lot of money has been spent obtaining that tape.
"

Every store you enter in the world you're being recorded for security purposes... like that's just the world. Why would anyone expect a theatre be any different?

hearthemsing22
#22Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:43pm

sinister teashop said: "Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

And not just sleazy, a potential legal mess. The Boebert tape was "obtained by CNN affiliateKUSA"whatever that means but it probably means a lot of money has been exchanged obtaining that tape.
"

So then I guess any public place that records patrons is facing legal woes, huh? Stores, libraries, theaters- they're all facing legal messes, right? Instead of having it there for their safety and security?? I'd feel less safe if things were NOT recorded. Then there's no proof if someone say, shoplifts somewhere. You're essentially letting people get away with that. So it's necessary to have those in public places. 

sinister teashop
#23Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:55pm

TheatreFan4 said: "sinister teashop said: "Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

And not just sleazy, a potential legal mess. The Boebert tape was "obtained by CNN affiliateKUSA"whatever that means but it probably means a lot of money has been spent obtaining that tape.
"

Every store you enter in the world you're being recorded for security purposes... like that's just the world. Why would anyone expect a theatre be any different?
"

Yes, a legal mess. If private in-house security footage gets sold to television stations. 

hearthemsing22
#24Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 12:58pm

sinister teashop said: "TheatreFan4 said: "sinister teashop said: "Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

"

"

Yes, a legal mess. If private in-house security footage gets sold to television stations.
"

Then by that logic, wouldn't it be a legal mess for any store/theater/building where they have security cameras? Come on y'all-think logically 

sinister teashop
#25Based on that Lauren Boebert video, do you think theatres are deliberately allowing bootlegs?
Posted: 9/18/23 at 1:03pm

hearthemsing22 said: "sinister teashop said: "TheatreFan4 said: "sinister teashop said: "Unless we are talking about a specific Broadway theater and the person posting works with security in that theater then all this speculation. Ambassador Theater Group at least has a clause in the Security Policy section of their website that acknowledges patrons are being recorded by CCTV in their venues.

"

"

"

Then by that logic, wouldn't it be a legal mess for any store/theater/building where they have security cameras? Come on y'all-think logically
"

It depends on what that footage is, what is recorded and how it was obtained. If money has exchanged hands for private footage without authorization from the theater or company itself, yes.

Updated On: 9/18/23 at 01:03 PM