pixeltracker

"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End

"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#2"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 9:56pm

I swear, what these people are doing is just wrong. There are other ways to protest, but disrupting a theatrical performance is the last straw in my book! Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:22pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

Something similar almost occurred at Frozen in 2018, but Timothy Hughes quickly put a stop to it. I guess it would be a bad look if a cast member had yanked a poster away that said “end climate change” or something like that.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

PipingHotPiccolo
#4"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:37pm

im increasingly convinced these people-- disrupting shows, throwing soup at works of art, blocking highways-- are being funded by Exxon Mobil or something. Its so thoroughly ignorant and counterproductive.

pmensky
#5"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:49pm

They’re bringing more attention to widespread mental health issues rather than pollution. 

Jumpin_J
#6"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:56pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

Something similar almost occurred at Frozen in 2018, but Timothy Hughes quickly put a stop to it. I guess it would be a bad look if a cast member had yanked a poster away that said “end climate change” or something like that.
"

Remember how protestors jumped on stage at Shakespeare In The Park's Julius Caesar? So it happened before.

jvoom Profile Photo
jvoom
#7"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 11:28pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I swear, what these people are doing is just wrong. There are other ways to protest, but disrupting a theatrical performance is the last straw in my book! Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

I genuinely don't mean this to sound smartass - but it's really the last straw in your book? I am a huge theatre fan, but it's also not some sacred thing immune from protest. Just Stop Oil intend to disrupt, I'm frankly more surprised it took as long for them to jump on a West End/Broadway stage

sinister teashop Profile Photo
sinister teashop
Posted: 10/4/23 at 11:30pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I swear, what these people are doing is just wrong. There are other ways to protest, but disrupting a theatrical performance is the last straw in my book! Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

I can’t imagine it, it would be the most interesting thing on a Broadway stage in years.

Updated On: 10/4/23 at 11:30 PM

Phantom4ever
#9"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/4/23 at 11:33pm

If they were protesting something worthwhile, like bringing back the revolve to the West End Les Miz, then I’d understand.  

bwaylvsong1
#10"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/5/23 at 12:33am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "im increasingly convinced these people-- disrupting shows, throwing soup at works of art, blocking highways-- are being funded by Exxon Mobil or something. Its so thoroughly ignorant and counterproductive."

Exactly, I was just thinking that this reminds of a couple of years ago when climate change protesters blocked traffic on the FDR Drive (a major highway to get through Manhattan), which made traffic a complete standstill with no alternative route for almost two hours, and thus endangered the livelihoods and potentially lives of those stuck, not to mention exacerbating the gas emissions etc that were being protested.

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#11"Just Stop Oil" protestors jumped on stage at Les Miz West End
Posted: 10/5/23 at 8:04am

Do not underestimate the guile and willingness of Big Oil and the politicians and corporations that support it, to engage in false flag operations, especially before elections.  I would not be surprised at all to find out that these groups have been infiltrated.  

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/5/23 at 8:36am

I think these people have no idea what they are doing. Without oil they could never afford a phone or blue hair dye or anything at all any longer. The people who really make changes are studying and working very hard to develop alternatives.

My theory is that there is a generation "Gen Z", who desperately wants to feel special, feel like the they are the promised oracle, which comes from the way they were raised. Were told they were mommy and daddy's special prince or princess and they were going to make all the difference in the world. Then they hit puberty and needed to get a job and found out that they are nothing. That a boss tells hem what they did wrong on their job (normal course of events), and therefore you see more teenagers than ever with a burnout after 2 weeks working in a side job. Now they found a way to riot, feel like the promised oracle, AND not having to do anything for it, seems like the only way to go. 

The problem is that it will not help, not gain any respect, only lead to more damage to nature (blocking roads), and without alternatives the costs will be so high that it will be impossible for them to have or raise any kids at all. But of course anyone concerned with the climate will not have kids anyway. The world population has gone from 1 to 8 bilion in 200 years.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 08:36 AM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
Posted: 10/5/23 at 9:43am

You all understand that being more inconvenient than this is the only way anything has ever changed but okay, keep blaming the zoomers and their blue hair for wanting to have a habitable planet to grow older in. That's not even a defense of the protest, I just hope you all know that you sound like caricatures of people with their head in the sand about how serious this is and how much politeness has failed. 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/5/23 at 11:09am

Scarywarhol, you do realize that the temperature on earth since the beginning (after stabilization) until right before mankind has raised by 49%. There are 10 different natural factors that cause this and this will continue. Mankind will disappear eventually. Periods like the ice age, and the "little ice age" which only ended in 1850, therefore a little increase in warmth was predicted since then, are merely "bleeps", that are not of a big importance on the general increase. For example, in the time of the Romans, it was about 3 degrees warmer than now. 

It is true that overpopulation speeds up this increase. Not having children is the only measure that contributes something significant. Less significant, but still helpful is the ongoing science and people working very hard to find alternatives so that we can (hopefully in the future) actually stay alive without oil. And being able to feed our families. Which is not the case yet. Alternatives are in development. People work night and day for that.

The only convenient thing I see is people keep getting babies and plant their butt on a highway or some other forbidden place and let those things feed their ego and identity, leaving behind a complete mess of plastic waste, while all buying Iphones and tomato soup to throw at ancient paintings and blue hair dye, while it is still affordable, while actually being the problem themselves.

Someone like my brother, who is at university, who was studying very hard at the night of the attack on the theatre, and decides not to have children, and definitely will not ruin other people's properties is someone who deserves respect.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 11:09 AM

SeanD2
Posted: 10/5/23 at 2:03pm

Scarywarhol said: "You all understand that being more inconvenient than this is the only way anything has ever changed but okay, keep blaming the zoomers and their blue hair for wanting to have a habitable planet to grow older in. That's not even a defense of the protest, I just hope you all know that you sound like caricatures of people with their head in the sand about how serious this is and how much politeness has failed."

Exactly. Victor Hugo would approve of this protest.

JSquared2
Posted: 10/5/23 at 2:33pm

jvoom said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "I swear, what these people are doing is just wrong. There are other ways to protest, but disrupting a theatrical performance is the last straw in my book! Imagine if this were to happen on Broadway!"

I genuinely don't mean this to sound smartass - but it's really the last straw in your book? I am a huge theatre fan, but it's also not some sacred thing immune from protest. Just Stop Oil intend to disrupt, I'm frankly more surprised it took as long for them to jump on a West End/Broadway stage

It's practically the literal definition of "preaching to the converted"!  If they want to change minds about climate change -- there should be protests at Monster Truck Rallies and Jason Aldean concerts -- NOT at big lavish Broadway/West End musicals!

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
Posted: 10/5/23 at 2:41pm

People used to say the same thing about ACT UP.

Call_me_jorge
Posted: 10/5/23 at 3:57pm

Seb28 said: "Scarywarhol, you do realize that the temperature on earth since the beginning (after stabilization) until right before mankind has raised by 49%. There are 10 different natural factors that cause this and this will continue. Mankind will disappear eventually. Periods like the ice age, and the "little ice age" which only ended in 1850, therefore a little increase in warmth was predicted since then, are merely "bleeps", that are not of a big importance on the general increase. For example, in the time of the Romans, it was about 3 degrees warmer than now.

It is true that overpopulation speeds up this increase. Not having children is the only measure that contributes something significant. Less significant, but still helpful is the ongoing science and people working very hard to find alternatives so that we can (hopefully in the future) actually stay alive without oil. And being able to feed our families. Which is not the case yet. Alternatives are in development. People work night and day for that.

The only convenient thing I see is people keep getting babies and plant their butt on a highway or some other forbidden place and let those things feed their ego and identity, leaving behing a complete mess of plastic waste, while all buying Iphones and tomato soup to throw at ancient paintings and blue hair dye, while it is still affordable, while actually being the problem themselves.

Someone like my brother, who is at university, who was studying very hard at the night of the attack on the theatre, and decides not to have children, and definitely will not ruin other people's properties is someone who deserves respect.
"

Hey moderators, why is this climate change conspiracy theorist posts still up? It’s giving “flat earther” here!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/5/23 at 4:06pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Hey moderators, why is this climate change conspiracy theorist posts still up? It’s giving “flat earther” here!!"

What on earth are you talking about? I mention scientific facts, literal percentages of what is measured.

I also say people accelerate it. Are you actually open to facts or have you not read my post at all? 

Stop trying to erase people that are not in your tunnel vision. We all have different opinions - disagree with the view, not with the person. It's a discussion board. Trying to erase all facts and people that are in your way as if it's a game of curling is not going to work in life.

Updated On: 10/5/23 at 04:06 PM

Call_me_jorge
Posted: 10/5/23 at 4:23pm

When 99% of climate scientists start making these same claims you might have some standing; Right now you sound like a delusional nut.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/5/23 at 4:28pm

Call_me_jorge said: "When 99% of climate scientists start making these same claims you might have some standing; Right now you sound like a delusional nut."

Every scientist who looks further than the last 100 years agrees with that. It is basic history knowledge. It is measured facts. The point is that they do not want to mention it. Which is ok too, they like to focus on a minimalistic few years only. There can't be done much about history and natural processes of the future anyway. Everybody can decide for themselves how little of the whole they will focus on.

Zeppie2022
Posted: 10/5/23 at 9:56pm

"Hey moderators, why is this climate change conspiracy theorist posts still up? It’s giving “flat earther” here!!"

I did not think it was against the rules of this board to post opinions no matter how wrong some people think those opinions are. 

PipingHotPiccolo
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:20pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Seb28 said: "Scarywarhol, you do realize that the temperature on earth since the beginning (after stabilization) until right before mankind has raised by 49%. There are 10 different natural factors that cause this and this will continue. Mankind will disappear eventually. Periods like the ice age, and the "little ice age" which only ended in 1850, therefore a little increase in warmth was predicted since then, are merely "bleeps", that are not of a big importance on the general increase. For example, in the time of the Romans, it was about 3 degrees warmer than now.

The only convenient thing I see is people keep getting babies and plant their butt on a highway or some other forbidden place and let those things feed their ego and identity, leaving behing a complete mess of plastic waste, while all buying Iphones and tomato soup to throw at ancient paintings and blue hair dye, while it is still affordable, while actually being the problem themselves.

"

Hey moderators, why is this climate change conspiracy theorist posts still up? It’s giving “flat earther” here!!
"

Whoa. Why should the moderators delete a post because its full of ignorant nonsense? 

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/6/23 at 2:51am

It's full of facts that don't fit your worldview. There's nothing that could or should be done but accept it.

What we CAN do, is limiting having children, the world population grew from 1 to 8 billion people in just 200 years. Which is the core problem. And study hard for alternatives, so that hopefully soon we can survive without oil, which is not yet. Stopping right away would ruin your future. Unless you want to pay 10.000 dollars for an iPhone and 75 dollars for a loaf of bread for your kids. People are studying day and night for alternatives. In my opinion, what we should NOT do, is useless actions aimed towards innocent people, breaking the law, attack theatre shows and call people unnecessary names on fora. But that’s just me.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
Posted: 10/6/23 at 2:56am

Zeppie2022 said: "I did not think it was against the rules of this board to post opinions no matter how wrong some people think those opinions are."

Thanks Zeppie, I agree. Unfortunately some people live by the idea that everyone can do what they want, that breaking the law is ok, as long as it suits their opinion, without paying attention to others, and if they don't like another opinion, remove them. That is also the message they are giving off to the oil companies and government. I hope they're happy when they follow that attitude.

Updated On: 10/6/23 at 02:56 AM